Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I don't have any Zwifting experience, but TrainerRoad is right up my alley. I throw on a movie and knock out whatever the app tells me to do. It's great for accountability and produces solid results. I'm just doing random whatever workouts right now. But my training block for Iowa Wind and Rock starts up at the beginning of October and then it'll be 5 days a week for 6+ months straight. After a bit you really get in to a rhythm with your schedule and it just becomes another thing that you do.

I did the same thing last year and was already seeing crazy results in my various fat bike races before IWAR was cancelled/postponed.

Edit: And I guess just so it's been said, but you don't need a smart trainer to do TR. I do all my workouts on my kurt kinetic fluid trainer and it's perfectly fine. A budget conscious goon could find a used one of those online for $100 and they'll last drat near forever. Smart trainers are really drat cool though.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Development posted:

you should try Junction -1! it’s really...character building.
Oh yeah, that looks like a real good time.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Strange way of typing Blood +3
Ok, what the fresh hell is that?

It takes 10-15 seconds for me to spin my flywheel from 40% -> 150% and another 20-25 seconds for it to coast back from 150% -> 40%. So those intervals at the end of Junction-1 are gonna look goofy as hell in my readout if I attempt them.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Blood +3 group workout when??
I stole my wife's old MacBook for tonight's workout. When this idea goes from joke to horrible reality I'm totally in.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I did my post-covid ramp test this morning. 237. That's a far cry away from the 279 I had in February before getting sick in March and September. Gonna be interesting to see what I can build back up to before IWAR in April.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Just started a 12 week training plan with zwift.

It's good when your heart rate matches your watts right? 175w at 175bpm :gonk:
Ah yes, the Golden Pedal Stroke.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Hell yeah! Highest I've ever tested on this trainer setup. Looks like that maths itself out to 3.40 w/kg too.

I once did 279 on a buddy's Elite Dorito, but that doesn't really count cuz it doesn't translate at all to my Kinetic Road Machine.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 23, 2020

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Rocker plates are a thing. They wouldn't be a thing if people on trainers weren't exerting those kinds of stresses on the system as a whole. Doing wheelies or whatever right now immediately after clamping the fork is no where near equivalent to what happens when putting in a hard sprint.

That qr is going to loosen up just slightly over time and you're going to fall. It's not going to be just 13" freefall because when it goes you'll be pushing forward on the bike. I'm all for the fork stand diy, but you gotta fix that thing. Just slap on a base and some angle bracers.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

nwin posted:

Let him end his life-Jesus gently caress.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
These tests you're doing for stability aren't putting the same forces on the bike/trainer/block that a hard effort would produce. Version 2.0 is a step in the right direction. Keep at it.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Shadowhand00 posted:

Hi, instead of building your own, why don't you just buy something like this for $9:

https://www.amazon.com/bike-trainer-front-wheel-block/s?k=bike+trainer+front+wheel+block
Those are wheel blocks. LRADIKAL is building a fork stand. Wanting a fork stand is a perfectly ok thing. It's the implementations we've seen so far that are cause for concern.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Remember when people were complaining that Strava didn't have a messaging system and the company came back with, "This will absolutely never be implemented because it will 100% be abused. Please stop asking." Good times.

Question about tr. I think I'm done with trainers for a couple months or so. Do I lose anything on my account if I cancel it and rejoin again later?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Private messages as opposed to public comments.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I've been spraying things down with some water and wiping it off with a towel after my workouts. Saw a Muc-Off product specifically for post-workout wipedowns and it got me wondering if I should be putting something else in my water to help. Vinegar or something maybe? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Sounds like my water wipe down is perfectly adequate for now. Good to know. In other news, the wife and I have been doing some housework before the baby gets here and I finally had cause to buy a jigsaw. So of course I immediately went on Amazon and bought a sketchy chinese set of massage attachments. Absolute A+ purchase so far. Percussive recovery is great.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
It's the end of a very shortlived era. A friend of mine saw my jigsaw massage attachments and immediately ordered a replacement for it. This feels marginally less sketchy.

I don't know why foam rolling feels like such a chore but these things are easy as hell.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
They're incredibly consistent. When I was using mine I went the extra mile and always made sure I rode with the same tire pressure, flywheel pressure, and skewer pressure just to make sure numbers matched from one ride to the next. Accurate, not really. But that doesn't actually matter near as much as being consistent does.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
After a couple months off I'm back to TrainerRoad. They threw the adaptive training beta at me while my subscription was in hiatus. From what I gather that's actually pretty common. So if you want to play with adaptive training just cancel your account for a month. You'll have it soon enough. It's been fun. They give you a few questions about experience and have you plug in some race dates and the plan builder just goes from there. They definitely started me out too conservatively so I was bumping up my workouts to get something more. Then the adaptive part kicks in afterwards and alters the next few weeks of workouts to match that intensity. It's pretty neat.

I also gave up on my Jabras for Bluetooth purposes. My ears aren't too bad, but I have just enough cauliflower from Jiu-Jitsu to make in-ear headphones really comfy. I gave AfterShokz a go and holy cow these things are wonderful. Movies and tv come through clear as can be. Plus I can actually hear my wife if she needs to chat with me for a sec. All in all it was a game changing switch.

Everything is so much sweatier in the summer. I'm really looking forward to when I can open a window and cool down the room with fresh winter air.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Instead of buying that bike off of Amazon that will most assuredly fall apart within a year and probably be wildly uncomfortable to ride you could buy a used Kurt kinetic for $100 and use your current bike to better results. Or, as someone upthread mentioned, spend a little more for a smart wheel on trainer and have access to fun integration with various trainer platforms.

I don't personally know of reliable exercise bike brands, but I just know that the one you linked is a bad idea in the long haul.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
You had me double checking and no it's not actually explicitly stated. I guess I took the "not wanting to bike outside this winter" comment and inferred ownership from that.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I'd definitely look at getting a Kurt on your local marketplace for your situation and I wouldn't pay anything over $100. They're all over the used market right now and since they're built like tanks they hold up incredibly well. There's plenty you can buy to go with it (lord knows I've done that over the years), but the only thing you really truly need is a fan and a couple of books to put under your front wheel. My first few years or so with a trainer I never had a plan or anything. I figured if I'm going to be sitting here watching these movies there's no reason I can't be pedaling at the same time.

Other cool things you can get but absolutely don't actually need:
towel under the bike (this is as close to a need as you can get though)
towels or "bike thongs" over the bike
exercise specific mat under the bike
fancy tire holding thing for your front wheel
sketchy as gently caress piece of wood with a QR attachment on it for your front fork
insanely expensive auto adjusting fork mount thingy from wahoo
some kind of table to put in front of you to hold fans or computers or phones or.....
a side table to hold water bottles or food or phone or....
an extra flywheel attachment for more road like feeling
more bigger fans
fancy as auto adjusting fans from wahoo
subscription services for fun or profit
a second tv for said subscription services
a bike computer to track these rides
never turn off the gps on said computer so you end up drawing weird scribble maps around your house on strava
speed sensor and/or heart rate monitor for MORE DATA in your bike computer
power meter for even MORE DATA in your bike computer
headphones for some cool tunes while you ride
bt headphones so you can hear the TV over the fans without waking the baby
foam roller for that post workout recovery
theragun for that percussive post workout recovery
homemade rocker plate system using tennis balls
fancy rear end rocker plate system with bearings and poo poo

I'm kinda having fun making this list. Am I forgetting anything?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
The deal with the Kurt Kinetic is that their fluid trainers don't leak. Like ever, I guess. And I guess all the others will at some point because of some fundamental difference in the design. If you grabbed a used wind or magnetic trainer I think the brand you get will start to matter a lot less. And to be perfectly frank, my wife has a diamondback fluid trainer and it's going on four or five years now and is leak free still. CycleOps is another big brand and I spent a year on a magnetic one of those. Lots of others too, I'm sure. My knowledge isn't very wide on the whole range of availability.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
It's $479 brand new so I wouldn't look any further on that one. Bum deal about your availability. And as much as I tout the Kurt bandwagon, that only goes as far as dumb trainers. Their smart trainer lineup is rife with software issues and seeing as it's been that way for years now I wouldn't count on it getting better any time soon.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

There’s no chance I’m able to focus on a movie when I’m doing hard TR intervals. Endurance stuff, sure.
When adaptive training wants to know how my workout felt this is literally the metric I use between "hard" and "very hard". Did I have to pause my movie? Must have been a "very hard" kind of day.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Looks like they already corrected the price online. I guess now all I do is wait for a cancellation e-mail or a shipping notice. Fingers crossed.

Edit: Oh fun. I just refreshed the page again and now it says, "This manufacturer currently prefers that we only sell this item in our retail store. Please visit us soon." 5 minutes ago you could at least still place an order.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

DJ Burette posted:

TrainerRoad is the classic if all you want is interval workouts and no fancy visuals. I use it 5x a week and love it, even though some say it's a little pricey for what it is.
This is the route that I go with as well. If you wanted something more "spin" oriented then I think some folks in here and recommended the Peloton app before. I think that's right; Not positive.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
drat, as expected my Tacx order was cancelled.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I have one cat that chews on *everything*. He's got my valve stem caps a bunch. Loves to chew on the trainer feet too. Hit the AfterShox once, but they're still good. I'm still waiting to get woken up when he blows up one of the tires. He'll learn an important lesson that day.

Dibs on the pee soaked trainer!

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Tacx Neo T2800 for $400 from a local guy. I'd be stupid to sleep on this, right?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Well it doesn't matter, I guess. Dude just ghosted me mid-conversation and marked the listing as sold. I knew it was gonna go quickly, but drat. Y'all would've loved it too. Check this out...

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

wooger posted:

I discovered today that you can scrub through trainerroad workouts.
If you scrub backwards you'll lose everything you did up to that point. Ask me how I know this!

wooger posted:

Sadly only after dropping my phone and somehow...
Oh hey, you already know.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

This year's fitness is a struggle, but I'm happy to hold on to what I got so far.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Crumps Brother posted:

If you scrub backwards you'll lose everything you did up to that point. Ask me how I know this!
Found out yesterday that tr now has a confirmation dialog for this exact scenario. There's some forward progress.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Always the excuse to play with some power tools, I'm gonna build a rocker plate. What's the better option a) a 4' piano hinge or b) 2-3 of these bearing door hinges?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I was mostly basing off of the GCN example. They used the bearing hinges, but I was thinking a 4' piano hinge would make easy work keeping the pivot in a straight line.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
You can watch other stuff while doing trainerroad. I always have a movie of some sort going when I use it. But everyone gets their motivation from somewhere so if that still doesn't sound appealing to you then I'm not sure about any other solutions.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
The rocker plate works!

Kinda went overboard on the whole thing after I stumbled across a design from this group WeRideSouth. I'll do a couple more rides and then break it back down so I can pretty it up. Needs to be routed, sanded, painted/stained, and sealed up still.

In other news, my rear end in a top hat cat already found the power cord to my trainer.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 12, 2022

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

spf3million posted:

That looks awesome, how do you like the fore/aft movement?
The whole thing was really weird at first, but one quickly gets used to it. The side to side movement is very noticeable. I was making a pretty conscience effort to make sure I was throwing my weight around "properly". I guess people often have a tendency to lean the bike to the right when pushing down on the right pedal and vice versa. This being opposite of what happens outside in the real world. Easy to overcome bad habits with a little bit of thought though.

The fore/aft movement was a lot more subtle. It's just a thing that happens and doesn't take much thought. I messed around a bit during my first ride and you can have fun sliding it intentionally. I have about 10-12" of total movement available and I didn't bottom out the springs even when messing around.

All that being said, I won't be able to go too crazy on it for awhile. I'm about 11 days post-surgery and certainly in no position to hit it hard with vo2 or sprint intervals.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Yeah, inside to outside is just plain different. When you're inside you have goals and metrics and numbers and whatnot you need to be hitting. Outside you can go as slow as you want whenever you want and it's totally cool. If there's a particular gravel hill that's daunting there's no reason why a person can't just slide in to the easiest gear and spin their way up it. If that doesn't cut it then there's always the option to hoof it. We've all been there and jumping off to walk up a hill is A-OK.

I, as a random guy on the internet and all the qualifications that gives me, would say that if you're knocking out Peloton workouts already and you have the gumption to take it on the road. Then you're ready. Get out there, have fun, and don't stress too much about expectations. But do bring any questions, comments, or concerns that you have back to the bike thread and we'll help out.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
When I moved across the country I left my boards behind with my mother to paint. I told her I wanted some kind of sweet corn thing and gave her a mock-up of what I wanted. Since she's my mother she immediately binned the mock-up and started on her own designs. I was skeptical, but drat did they come out better than I ever expected.

I lost my hardware in the move. Which is to say I knew it was in a box, but I couldn't find which box it was for quite awhile. I stumbled across the bag inside a location I definitely wasn't expecting and was finally able to put it all together this weekend.

The fore/aft movement feels a little tougher than I remember. I'm wondering if something got sightly damaged in the move. But it all still flows nicely. All in all it was a wildly successful little whatever project with nebulous actual training benefit.

Last thing, but if anyone else is going to take up an undertaking like this hit me up and I can send you some of my extra hardware. I sprang for ultra corrosion resistant marine grade stuff cuz why not?

Right before the final coats of sealer went on.

These are the two ragbrai routes and my wife and I did that we rode the full week. 2017 and 2019.

Here's everything all put together. The H3 is straight up bolted to the top board. It's not going anywhere.

The big ear is corn is textured on a per kernel basis. Pretty impressive looking and even better in person. Thanks, mom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Apparently I'm sweating through my sweat guard. I'll have to deal with that when I take apart the bike tomorrow. For the future, what's the proper solution here? Stitch something that's actually waterproof on the underside? Pull the guard off after each ride and include the stem/steerer in the spray and wipedown session? Another hidden third option that I haven't thought about? Maybe some combination of a few different things?