Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh woah, is this the winter thread?

Just bought a used Kickr Bike a few weeks back and I'm on week 2 of my TrainerRoad/Zwift journey after several years of Peloton/Powerzone rides. I love this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dreesemonkey posted:

I think this is my eventual path when peloton keeps raising prices. I only do the cycling stuff, anyway. It would be great if I could a la carte cycling and stretching and that's it.

e:
Currently doing absolutely nothing as I'm getting over covid and I would probably die trying to do any kind of ride, even low impact.

Honestly, I loving love it. I haven't used the Peloton since getting the Kickr. All I ever did on Peloton was the powerzone workouts, and Trainerroad is just a better way of doing them.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

$99/yr TR grandfather :whatup:

TR is $189/year for me. :negative:

But if Strava raises my price next renewal I may seriously look at if I'm going to renew.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Crumps Brother posted:

I had a lower TR price, but went on hiatus a bit back not knowing about the grandfather rules. I came back a few months later to the privilege of 189/year. I really dropped the ball on that one. TR is pretty much the perfect platform for me on the trainer though so it's still totally worth it. Not sure I'll be keeping strava through my next re-up though. I actually do use some of the premium stuff, but I could probably live without just as well.

I had a ramp test today and I'm pretty impressed with their "AI FTP detection" stuff. I've been treating it like a game and hitting the AI button before my test to see what it says. Then binning the results and ramping anyways to see what I can get for real. I've managed to squeak by it a bit each time. But it's always within a very tight margin and that's kinda impressive to me. It seems like, at least for me, it's actually pretty accurate.

I did a ramp test today as well. I was sick at the end of last week, but was feeling better on Sunday, so figured I'd give it a shot.

Previous ramp test: 278 watts, 165 pounds.
1/17/2023 ramp test: 271 watts, 165 pounds.

:negative:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Crushed Warlow+1 this morning. TR has me on a cycle where on Saturday mornings I’m doing progressively harder 90 minute over/under threshold workouts. It’s almost at the point that I’m dreading opening up the app, but not quite. Seems sustainable.

:v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

wooger posted:

I did buttertubs +2, watching Paris-Nice helped a lot for motivation.

Warlow looks horrible

At least you can skip the FTP tests when they pop up… that’s something I really can’t get in the headspace for on a Saturday morning.

I need to find a good way to watch bike races.

I've skipped the last two FTP tests since it seems kind of like a wasted workout, and TR has just been gradually upping my FTP via the auto detect. I haven't decided if I want to skip the next FTP test, but who am I kidding.

Crumps Brother posted:

Nice Saturday ride! My next training block is going to have me doing the exact same thing. I'm really bad at threshold relative to other zones so I'm right with you on the dreading them too. I only have a couple weeks or so left of a big 6 month block on the experimental polarization plans. I'm kinda winging it for this week and next. So today I went ahead and knocked out Highland+3. My butt hurts.

Funny enough I'm fine with threshold, but VO2 max workouts kill me. I've got Sleeping Beauty + 8 first thing next week and I'm dreading it.

quote:

Sleeping Beauty +5 is 6 sets of 5x30/15's where 30 seconds are spent at 135% FTP and then immediately followed by 15 seconds of much lighter Endurance work.

Recoveries between sets of intervals are 3.5 minutes long.

:negative:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Crushed Warlow+1 this morning. TR has me on a cycle where on Saturday mornings I’m doing progressively harder 90 minute over/under threshold workouts. It’s almost at the point that I’m dreading opening up the app, but not quite. Seems sustainable.

Just did Emerson + 2 today.

quote:

Emerson +2 consists of 5x10-minute over-under intervals spent slightly above or slightly below FTP where 3 minutes at 98% FTP alternate with 2 minute at 108% FTP.

5 minutes of active recovery fall between each interval.

5.9 difficulty and wasn't sure I'd be able to finish it, but I made it. Last hard workout before a week of all endurance work

:getin:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does anyone have any solutions to intermittent connectivity issues with my trainer over Bluetooth? Occasionally, my kickr bike will get lazy and not respond to TR changing resistance. Sometimes changing to standard/back to erg fixes it. Sometimes raising the percentage difficulty does. It seems to occur less after I unplug the bike, but it always seems to return. Are there any good fixes?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lex Neville posted:

it drove me nuts so I moved my ant+ receiver closer using a long cable and that works

I’m using Bluetooth. I changed the position of my phone and it seems to be working for now. :tinfoil:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
You can use an electronic trainer not in Erg mode!?

Maybe I'm missing something but tbqh I love erg mode.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Noam Chomsky posted:

Most post seem to be about Zwift.

However, does anyone have a Peloton Bike or Bike+?

I’m thinking of getting a Bike+ and would like to know what others think and if the workouts are beginner friendly.

I’ve never thought of myself as someone who would enjoy a class with an instructor but lots of people seem to love it on the Peloton app.

My wife bought a Peloton right before Covid. I was super skeptical but ended up using it pretty heavily (ie, 5-7x/week) for 3 years. It introduced me to training with power on an indoor bike, which I'd never done before. I ended up taking almost all of my classes with Matt Wilpers, who is pretty big on power-based training. Zero regrets, but I've since moved on to a Kickr Bike/Trainer Road/Zwift which allows me to be more serious with my training.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

I'd consider a smart trainer and Zwift, or whatever, but I'm able to ride outside year around. Peloton is just supplemental during the winter.

Hilarious how we live in the same city and I refuse to ride outside in the winter.

90% of it is that my workout time is from 5-630am, and I have very little interest in riding outside in the early morning when it's cold/dark and hasn't warmed up yet.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
That's awesome, congrats!

Maybe I'll think about doing that as part of the Rapha 500 this winter or something.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Freaquency posted:

So does anyone make a chest strap HR monitor that isn’t a loving piece of garbage? I’ve gone through a Garmin and a Polar in the course of a year and it’s so goddamn frustrating to get on the bike and have to fiddle with it to get it to connect, or for it to just up and die for no reason.

I’ve had decent luck with my polar h10. The only downside is that I have to unclip one side when not in use, otherwise the battery drains. What’s the issue with yours?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Freaquency posted:

Well I guess that explains why my Polar H10 is currently not working. Love that these things use the stupid coin batteries instead of being rechargeable like every other piece of electronics released in the last decade

Yeah it took me a while to figure out that you have to unclip one side. If you don’t, the battery drains super quickly because presumably it’s still connected to your watch/computer/etc.

wooger posted:

You’re washing the straps right?

Also, you can replace the strap on its own, that’s what normally dies first.

I’ve had my Garmin for 3 years with no issues, through a couple of replacement batteries.

This too. The polar strap is comfortable, but that means the durability goes down. I seem to have to replace the polar strap every other year or so.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Freaquency posted:

Yeah I rinse it after a ride but always connected the monitor to the strap again because it’s easier to track one thing instead of two :downs: I had no clue that it just stayed on instead of going into sleep mode if it, y’know, doesn’t detect a heart rate. I’ll go find one of those stupid coin cell batteries today because of course it doesn’t take the same size as my old one. May go get one of the forearm monitors from REI too and give that a shot. I don’t need pinpoint accuracy, I just like having a general idea of what heart rate zone I’m in.

Tbqh, I'm not sure what the "true" behavior of the Polar H10 is. I also assumed it would shut off when it didn't detect a heart rate, but I was running in to the same issue and going through batteries at a ridiculous pace. Forum surfing led me to realize that other people solved this by disconnecting their sensors, and ever since then, my battery lasts months with daily use. I keep my laptop within bluetooth range of my HR monitor, so maybe it kept a connection or something?

The polar straps have always seemed the most comfortable to me, but I haven't used a garmin HR strap in like 15 years, so maybe they're better these days.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hutzpah posted:

I've been doing most of my riding on my basement trainer since signing up for TrainerRoad in July 2023 and have been improving pretty drastically, but I'm having a hard time seeing the increases in performance transfer 1:1 to my outside riding. Trainerroad has my FTP as 246, but there is no way, short of being chased by a bear, that I could maintain that pace outside for anywhere close to an hour. I can usually hit 220 watts average up a climb, and I've hit 222 watts of average power over a 21 minute local time trial course, but that's as close as I can get. On a recent outdoor ride I was pushing myself hard and could only manage 199 watts of average power over 1:15. I'm progressing on Trainerroad, completing my workouts, and improving my progression levels, but it's just a world of difference.

Admittedly, I do use erg mode on my trainer so I don't think about shifting often. It's basically just pedal, pedal, pedal. My trainer setup is an old 90s Bianchi on a Saris H3 while my outside bike is a modern Giant Defy, but I doubt the geometry/mechanicals would make that much of a difference. Should I just accept that these are two different worlds and stop trying to directly compare the two? It bugs me because I've seen a lot of people post about the opposite: riding inside on the trainer is harder than riding outside.

Is your power meter the same between indoor and outdoor? That could be part of it.

Pretty much no one does an hour long FTP test. Getting all-out pacing for an hour right is hard to do even for elite athletes, so the generally agreed upon substitutes are alternatives like the 2x8 minute test or the 1x20 test or the ramp test. None of them are perfect, but there's enough data supporting their use that they've become generally agreed upon substitutes. At the end of the day, as long as your FTP (however you measure it) is going up and you're completing harder workouts, you're improving.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I think I climbed adz 25 or so times before getting those dumb wheels.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Heliosicle posted:

I hadn't thought of just leaving the resistance disconnected. Does that just give you a linear resistance depending on the gear?

I leave it disconnected and let trainerroad control my workouts. That way I get my desired workout in while zwift provides the motivation to catch rabbits, occasionally look at people chatting, etc.

Back when I was first in to road biking in the late 2000s, I had a regular dumb trainer that I despised. Now I’m at the point where indoor biking is in some ways better than outdoor cycling.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

vikingstrike posted:

Yikes, the trainer has broken you.

That and having kids.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hutzpah posted:

There's no way I could do just trainer. Riding outside, even once every couple of weeks, is the really enjoyable part. Trainer is just to keep/improve fitness. The days that I do over an hour on the trainer are grueling.

For sure, and I try to ride outside at least once per week, but that's not always possible weather wise, child care wise, etc. Indoor trainers just make it possible to get a better workout done in a given time versus outdoor riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Agreed. I bought the desk dcr recommends and it's great.