Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

lilbeefer posted:

ERG mode transformed my training totally. I apparently did not have the discipline to pull those minute long massive watt efforts before....

ERG mode is the best thing around to make you harden the gently caress up. Knowing the ERG death spiral is just around the corner if you let up is very motivating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Development posted:

you should try Junction -1! it’s really...character building.

Strange way of typing Blood +3

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If anyone was curious about Blood +3

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Blood +3 group workout when??

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Knocked a good 2.5 minutes off my Alpe du Zwift time tonight! At 52.27, Sub 50 minutes is seeming achievable.

Set ERG to about 220-230 and you can do it pretty easy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

This is almost certainly physiologically harder than just turning off the controller altogether and just picking a gear combo / cadence that averages X watts.

That hasn’t been my experience. The little changes in grade are annoying, especially around the turns. You wind up losing quite a bit of power and then you have to bring the watts back up when the grade comes back in. Feels much easier to just stay at x watts, and you don’t lose time in the corners or have to shift.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

Not sure what the right thread is for this question (if I should post this in the main bike thread please let me know), but I have a stationary bike that I use 5-6 days a week. The bike itself is perfect for my use case, but the seat is uncomfortable and numbing after about 20 minutes. I typically am in the saddle as opposed to above it (the bike is well made but I’m not sure was designed for extensive use coming out of the saddle) and my position is sometimes aggressive but probably more often upright. I *think* I don’t care as much about padding as the compression / numbing, so I’m guessing this will be more about construction and configuration than whether or not the saddle is firm.

Any suggestions on a saddle that might be more comfortable? I realize this may (probably will) involve going to a shop to try a few out, but I’d like to narrow it down a bit, and I don’t know whether I’d be able to test a store saddle out for long enough to be sure about how it is likely to perform. If there are any brand / model suggestions I’d be super grateful, and I’d also be interested to know whether ones with no nose are apt to be better or worse than ones with a nose but pressure relief (which seems to be the more common solution).

Can this stationary bike fit a regular bike saddle, with the two parallel rails?

I highly recommend the specialized power saddle. I have 4 now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Any other app tying up the Bluetooth? Wahoo’s app on your phone, or Zwift, etc?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

colonel tom posted:

Started a trial month of TR because I want to actually do some structured training and I must have over-performed on the FTP test because these sweet spot training sessions are killing me. Looking around it seems like HR should be between 65%-75% of max, and I'm definitely above that. Am I just being a baby or should I turn the intensity down for a while?

Sweet Spot can suck. Are you able to complete them? If so, I wouldn’t turn down the intensity. They’ll get easier as you get further into the training plan as you’ll get fitter and understand how to pace them better.

I wouldn’t rely on HR for training since you have power as it can vary day to day based on what you eat, drink, how much you slept, etc.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I can’t imagine how many hours a week 20k is. I’m usually close to 15 hours but I won’t hit 20k.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Post your feet. And legs.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A guy I knew was struggling with indoor training, posting his HR that rose to max and stayed there.

Doesn’t use a single fan. Has been doing this for years.

I don’t understand how, I would be dead.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Please don’t buy that. It looks like hot garbage and you can get a wheel on trainer for less. Do you already own a bike?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

Nah, thinking more along the lines of an earthquake prompting power outages longer than a few days. So long as my building were still inhabitable, I would 100% be taking a break from helping out where I could during the day to rewatch some dumb poo poo I'd downloaded to my phone. Exercise + entertainment sounds like a nice way to stay sane during trying times!

There are a few of those pedal things you put under a desk that supposedly will charge a phone. K-Tor is the brand I saw.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hiowf posted:

I put my trainer outdoors during the first lockdown. It's not the same as a fan, the fan does cool better.

You definitely need some air passing over your skin when on the trainer. Even a light breeze outside wouldn’t be enough, you’ll start cooking.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TR controlling the trainer and Zwift just picking up the power data is what I usually do. More expensive but I’ve stared at the TR graphs for so long I need some sort of visual engagement. You can also try to line up Zwift KOMs/sprints with your upcoming TR intervals which gives me at least a little more motivation to pound out a tough interval.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

New PR up Alpe today :gary:

Hell, same. Watched two guys ride off into the distance and snag 35 and 36 minute times.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone have an interest in a goon Everest group? Looks like 6x up Ventoux will get it. Thinking before the year is out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I refuse to do a zwift Everest before I do a real Everest

Doubleheader imo

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Development posted:

a few of us were thinking of doing a punchy + chill group ride. Hammer up rolling hills, zone 2 between hills.

This sounds like way more fun than torturing myself up Ventoux. Let me know the details whenever it firms up.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Looks at dis m'fuc just casually throwing down a 40:40.

e: jk lol sitting at 183bpm avg for 30min. :stare:

Team Hummingbird :angel:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I got a new PR up the Epic KOM on Wednesday, and set myself an all time 20 min power record (251W) while I was at it.

22.49, 254W, 193bpm

Pretty pleased with that!

You have been added to TeamHummingbird.xlxs

LRADIKAL posted:

Got a Tacx flux s, and started riding zwift. My butt is still working up to the saddle. Can sustain 150 watts for thirty minutes so far. I am L RADIKAL on zwift, hmu!

Added

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Where is this on intervals.icu?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

If you go on the heart rate info for an activity, you can change the options on the curve graph to include the season and other periods you’ve set up.

Ah thanks, I was looking for something like the power curve section. The site is useful but man some things are not intuitive.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Vando posted:

I hope all you 200+ people are tiny babies because if you're anywhere near 30 and doing that I'm gonna be very mad at your insane hearts

36 and can hit 210 hell yeah

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

2M ft of vertical in a year, holy moly. I thought I rode a lot.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

He's a nice guy, just a little obsessed with being #1 for stuff. There's a tracker for climbing Bohlman - On Orbit (https://pjammcycling.com/climb/1963.Bohlman-On-Orbit) and I think he's got #1 there by a good 200 climbs or so. I really admire him.

drat the first half of that climb looks brutal.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone with a smart trainer (Kickr ‘14 here) have this happen? I finished a group ride and left Zwift running to go take care of my dogs and got back on the bike about 15 minutes later. I’m guessing my trainer went to sleep and when I turned the crank it woke up. It shows I dropped 2000w for 3 seconds and then tapered off. The weird thing is I never saw this in Zwift, and there isn’t any section of the Strava ride where I was doing unrealistic speed or power.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

Nice FTP bump.

I’m waiting for my call from Ineos any time now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I Am Not Spor posted:

Is this just a humble brag for 1000 watts only being 2nd?

My sprint is garbage, so definitely not.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

My TacX Flux S came with 30 free days. Zwift itself gives you 7 days trial. I used the 7 day trial, then used the 30 day trial.

Oh yeah, and 30 free days of the Garmin training app which I haven't touched.

https://www.zwift.com/activity/719184513179455264
Did my first race. I'm in D class still, but getting pretty close to hitting the 2.4kw/kg limit, so I thought I'd try to get some W's. However, the people who won in my class were knocking out 3.4kw/kg. How are they still in class D? The community and Zwift support have very fragmented documentation.

Register on ZwiftPower and use the results there. Zwift’s results are garbage and don’t filter anyone.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spf3million posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a wahoo kickr core. Any reason I couldn't use a spare 10 speed cassette I have lying around? The bike I'm planning on using has an 11 speed drive train. This feels like a dumb question.

Just buy a cheap takeoff cassette from eBay because otherwise

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You wouldn't be able to shift

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spf3million posted:

Wahoo kickr core, 11 speed cassette, and floor mat on the way :homebrew: Do I need anything else aside from an Apple TV hooked up to a spare monitor? Already have three decent fans at my disposal.

Put a towel over the top tube or get one of the sweat protectors

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think everyone realizes that, the problem is when that piece of wood tips over and wrecks you and the bike.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Time posted:

I have a kickr core and I installed an 8 speed cassette on it for my wife and it is loud as gently caress compared to when I put on an 11 speed one and my bike. I used the spacer that came with it but it still seems off. It’s loudest in the 11 tooth cog and gets more normal in the middle of the cassette. Is this an indexing thing?

What size spacer did you put on?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The standard ride for this stage ends on the NYC KOM which is great fun if your a tiny baby like me.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

Zwift defaults to ERG mode for the FTP test (all training?) I ran the 45 minute FTP test which closely matched a recent standard ride where I had a good 20 minute effort in the middle.

Your equipment might have a surprisingly large variance in detected power, and 8 minutes is a very different test than 20. How does an outdoor test compensate for wind resistance?

Question for the pros: I feel like I'm just now getting strong enough to really push out of the saddle at around 600 watts. What kind of power are you generally pushing while off the seat? Any recommendations on techniques/best times to do so, etc?

I can’t hit as much inside as I can outside, simply because I can’t yank the bike around side to side. On the trainer I’m usually topping out around 900W. I’m betting a rocker plate may help to get a bit of that side to side motion.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you’re on a PC you can use ZwiftPrefs to ride in a non-featured world, which will be massively less populated. Not exactly the solution to your problem but somewhat of a workaround.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

big watts big life

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Canyon eSports guy gets caught cheating on Zwift in the dumbest, most obvious way, catches a 6 month ban and gets booted from the team

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/02/zwift-cheating-pro-another-tampering.html

Tl;dr: He created a secondary .fit file that was exactly 2% higher at all times and submitted that as his dual recorded file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The old kickrs are comically easy to deliberately calibrate wrong. There’s a small bolt that changes the belt tension. You can can adjust it, do a spindown, then adjust the bolt again and have an instant boost of 50-60w, probably more. The first time I put my Assiomas on the trainer bike and ran two Garmins I realized the trainer was over reading the pedals by a good 20w.