Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
is it feasible to convert a singlespeed/fixed gear to Shimano Alfine?

is it feasible to convert to Alfine Di2?

various sites seem to say "yes", but my research (not to mention what's actually available) seem to say "probably not"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

As always the answer is maybe, and how much work do you want to do.

The first thing to check is the O.L.D. (Over Locknut Distance), which is the distance between the inside of the dropouts where the axle bolts in. Many singlespeeds have narrower hubs and therefore smaller O.L.D. The Alfine Di2 appears to have an O.L.D. of 135mm which one of the wider standards used on street bikes.

If you have an aluminum or carbon frame and the O.L.D.'s don't match, then its basically impossible to use the wrong sized hub. Both of those materials are very likely to snap if you try to bend them more than a tiny amount.

If it's a steel frame and the O.L.D. is within about 5mm, you can often just shove the hub in and let the frame bend slightly. I've done with with an old 10 speed that I wanted to put a 2x7 drivetrain on.

Can you post a picture of the bike you want to use?

edit - found this nice set of pictures describing the OLD: https://www.halowheels.com/frame-spacing-hub-o-l-d-information/

It's 120mm, which would be way too small....but it's steel and could arguably probably be modified without much difficulty, which is why I'm having doubts in both directions.

I wouldn't want to permanently gently caress up a frame for something that either wouldn't work or wouldn't be safe if it did.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 26, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

120->135 is alot and there's a good chance you'll have to permanently bend the frame to get the bigger hub in there.

well yeah, I assumed it'd be a permanent conversion. It's not a particularly valuable frame

seems like there's a bunch of people "cold-setting" steel frames like this- including some 120-135 jumps- mostly retro builds. Biggest danger seems to be getting the frame out of alignment, which can happen if one isn't careful about the chainstays potentially being different due to chainwheel clearance

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Anybody try Veer Split Belt drivetrains?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Ok, its just soreness. My butt is used to a big office chair, and now its a smaller bike seat.

Thanks. No pain no gain :D

mind that there’s a difference between “good” pain and “bad” pain, and you should never, ever try to ignore or bootstrap your way through bad pain

if you’re getting any numbness or tingling or residual pain in your perineal area or anywhere in your dick-to-butthole axis then address it immediately

any “good” pain should be restricted to your glutes and the muscle groups that actually do the work and maybe your gluteal fat pads while you build up tolerance

weight should always be borne on your sit-bones and rear end-cushion and never on your taint

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Al2001 posted:

I'm thinking of getting a bike fit even though I rarely ride more than 10 miles at a time.

yes

yesyesyesyesyes

I would do that before experimenting with various stems and bars on your own and/or dropping money on parts

bike fit is super important and valuable, step one if you’re having discomfort issues

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/gsd9JgLlIeE

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
just picked up a step-thru Huffy Thunder Ridge for :10bux: (I prolly overpaid, lol) to hopefully turn into a “tooling around town and cruising” bike

It emergently needs new tires/tubes and a chain, and secondarily it could do with new grips, pedals, and probably cables/housings. Also maybe a saddle but that’s w/e

any reason I should spend $20-30 on a Shimano 6/7/8 speed chain vs $9 on something like this https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Bicy...807339163&th=1?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
maybe an even dumber question: how feasible would it be to mate an unknown 3x6 old school mountain bike cassette and crank (ie keeping the original wheels and crankset) with something like Shimano Tourney 3x6 derailleur and shifters?

Seems like at least the chain might be compatible?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SimonSays posted:

It will all work. If everyone was using 6-speed transmissions these compatibility questions wouldn't even come up.

kicking rad. this project has just doubled in scope but the end result is gonna be a sick bike

can somebody who understands group components explain to me what the difference between all of these Shimano derailleurs is? Is it just cosmetics? I’ve been on the shimano site itself and various other places and I really can’t tease it out beyond the obvious long/short reach ones, etc.

I’m just posting this Amazon store because it’s an easy way to see a bunch of them side-to-side

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Dera...ByABEgIU7vD_BwE

some of these are direct mount and others are hanger mount. Ignore that for the time being.

Actually here’s the Shimano Tourney page with the rear derailleurs on it:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/tourney.html

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 2, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SimonSays posted:

Get an RD-M310, it will work with whatever you've got going on, and you won't have to worry about it again. It'll index anywhere from six to eight cogs. If you can find a stamped steel RD-TY18 in a drawer somewhere, go for it, but it's not going to work any different.

it seems to be much higher quality than the tourney ones (people seem to really hate those, esp the vintage-looking ones), but are you sure I won’t have issues getting it to work right with 6sp?

Lots of conflicting info out there, but a lot of accounts seemingly telling me it won’t work

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

cruft posted:

If you're okay using friction shifters, they'll work with anything. I wind up doing this a lot because I'm incredibly lazy and don't adjust the derailer tension.

Friction (no clicks) isn't really as tough as Shimano convinced everyone it is. Especially if you're building the drivetrain up like you are and know what it sounds like when you're not quite lined up.

(really old and toasty) friction shifters are what it’s got ATM, and if I go with other friction shifters then I can’t use the clicky index brifters that I want to use

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SimonSays posted:

You found six speed brifters?

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/tourney/ST-EF41-6R.html

$26 for a 3x6 set from Amazon

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

To me it seems like they're trying to whip up a hipster-like hype. But people will be disappointed if they get a 250-euro-when-new piece of poo poo for 500 euro, and find out they're pretty drat wobbly, very slow, and have an excessive brake distance especially in the rain.
Buying them for the jankyness factor is fine, some people are masochists like that, same goes for oldtimer cars. But presenting them as a great way to get around is raising expectations way too high.

selling bikes to the same people who watch tiny house YouTubes and nod slack-jawed as somebody describes how they framed up a house with Home Depot lumber on top of a scavenged utility trailer frame

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
that bike is rad

treat that fucker right (within reason)

don’t casually let it rust or get stolen if you can help it

bring it indoors/into a garage/into a shed at night

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Is there a bike on Amazon in the $400 to $500 range that you might recommend?

On Bikesdirect.com? yes.

on Amazon? No.

Edit:

Actually here’s a Poseidon that you can get for $500 with a sign up coupon

https://www.poseidonbike.com/products/flatbar-x

Also Dicks seems to have bottom-spec GT bikes of various ilks around/below that price. Can’t speak to their quality but I’ve liked their more expensive bikes fine, even the ones from the “bad” years.

Random Specialized hybrid, Idk anything about it but it fits the budget:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/roll-2-0/p/216876

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 30, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I'll gladly pay you Friday for a bike today

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

My budget went up to $1000 or $1500 (got laid off from my job of 11 years so getting a pretty decent severance check at the end of September)

get an alloy gravel bike or a flatbar commuter/hybrid, unless you want to get into mtn biking

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dog Case posted:

You don't even have to have a use case for a dumb little bike. The use case is that it's fun to look stupid. You can even have one that doesn't fold up if you want

how is it? waiting for them to come back into stock

https://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/nano.htm

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Wish I could find a post I saw from a few weeks ago from a white lady in Japan who got deported for breaking the law (taking and posting creepshots of people on public transit) and wrote a 40 tweet screed about how injust it was

getting deported from Japan for taking creepshots on public transit is like being deported from America for unlawfully carrying a firearm

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

It kinda bugs me that that is a weak point of fenders. I've had two pairs hold up great elsewhere but have the rivets corrode to nothing and pop loose.

I guess thanks for keeping that off the rest of the bike.

time to buy a riveter? (Edit: or just pop em out and replace with nuts/bolts?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

norp posted:

I feel you - had a head on collision with a 12yo on his bike who popped out into the road from behind a parked truck 5 weeks ago

He took a shoulder to the chest from a 40yo at 20kph... No injuries.

I ended up with my thumb trapped between the bikes and got this for my troubles:

Turns out thumbs are useful, getting it crushed is not something I can recommend

Edit: also ruined my forks, saddle rails, brake levers, font wheel and scratched up various carbon bits like handlebars.

I hope you’re suing the poo poo out of that kid

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nobody Interesting posted:

Almost time to take the studded tires off. I've been off the bike now for about 2 months because the weather here was shockingly inconsistent, it just made the ice treacherous.

Any recommendations here for helmet cams? The spring brings out the chuds and idiot dog owners that I'd love to catch on tape if they cause an accident. GoPros are a little too expensive as far as I can see.

There’s years worth of GoPros to pick from. You don’t need a Gen 12 or Gen 13 or whatever they’re on. Something from 6-7 years ago will do fine for action cam duty.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/_yDtLv-7xZ4?si=SQCLPqdB7MkhG0TR

NotJustBikes went to Montreal and liked it and also didn’t

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 24, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nobody Interesting posted:

How do you get good at uphill :(

you gotta ride a heavy granny bike 50 miles to Akiba every day after school, singing the theme of your favorite magical girl anime to both give you emotional strength and also further work out your lungs

then you too can become a champion climber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

i know it’s a rapha dentist faux pas, but i couldn’t help but get the evangelion unit 01 autism helmet

this rules