Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I usually just go for a ride everyday after work unless it's raining because that's not very fun and I won't do it willingly. The best part is that I'm not rushing out the door and I can ride for as short or as long as I want.

My work just told me we're not going back to the office until at least January, so this is the indefinite state of things for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Petition to add an encouragement to wear helmets in the OP with the caveat that it's better to ride a bike without a helmet than to not ride at all and maybe a blurb about fitting or recommendations and a disclaimer that helmet use derails down thread are probation-worthy.

I realize by saying this I am discussing helmet use and I volunteer for a probe if it gets in the rules.

Edit: as a recommendation I've had I believe a specialized Centro for a while now and it's pretty comfortable, but it's pretty much the only helmet I've used so I don't know a lot of other options

Mauser fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 30, 2020

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

CopperHound posted:

Not too long ago I was under the impression that the bike advocacy group I volunteered with occasionally could and should decouple bike advocacy from racial justice. I have since gotten better.

I'm interested in hearing what the issues in your (and others) areas are regarding race and bike infrastructure. If I'm understanding the article correctly, the major concern is that bike infrastructure would be built at the expense of black neighborhoods, but I wish the article got into some more specifics.

My example from my city: I live in a majority black city and a protected bike lane was built that eliminated roughly a dozen parking spaces on the opposite side of a road from a church in a predominantly black part of town. The church leadership complained and the bike lane got pushed halfway onto the sidewalk and the parking spaces restored. The local bike advocacy group tried to rally support against the change, but claims they were cut out of the process and the change went through against the rules.

From my perspective, the bike lane is fine, but stupid. There's very little in the way of foot traffic on this route, so the very broad sidewalk can easily be ridden on. Rider traffic is pretty minimal and visibility is high, so you could just ride the wrong lane of the bike route. The parking spaces on this side of the road are completely empty during the week, but are almost certainly used on Sunday mornings. The cross street next to the church has an almost unlimited number of meter free parking spaces, but would require a little bit of walking. They somehow managed to spend $50k additional in city funds to paint a line down a sidewalk to restore the parking spots.

So the whole thing was a pretty ridiculous mess. Getting rid of the parking spots was unnecessary and they could have just cut the sidewalk in half and still had 5 ft of sidewalk, but instead they managed to piss off a church that's been there for over a hundred years. They probably have attendees who are elderly and have a hard time getting around. And they piss off the bike people who got to watch their brand new infrastructure chopped up. They built this bike lane almost certainly without the input of the church members and had to redo the whole thing at greater expense rather than just doing it properly to begin with.

I have a hard time labelling this as a racial issue without knowing more about the bike advocacy group. If it's dominated by white people then this would definitely qualify. At the very least there was a lack of bringing together community members and getting everybody's input.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

You just gotta schedule it after work and take days off when it's lovely outside. It's pretty great going and getting sweaty right after logging off the for the day and then coming home and relaxing with an all too frequent beer now that we live on hell world that will never end

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Honestly, if I didn't have my bike to take out on 3+ hour rides while I was unemployed refreshing the same three orgs pages that do what I do, all pre-pandemic, I would have gone insane

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Just a word of warning if you live anywhere in a reasonable sized city. I've had friends who had their bikes stolen off of balconies and locking up outdoors in the same spot for an extended period of time could lead to something like that. On the other hand, the neighborhood I just moved to 5 miles away lots of people lock their bikes up on the front porch and have been doing it for a long time.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I would say 15mph is pretty easy to get to, but in a city with a lot of stops it's going to be hard to get that speed and maintain it based on a simple distance/time calculation. When I do that after a ride around town I probably average around what you're getting

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah, for children and dogs, just slow way the hell down no matter what. Pedestrians with headphones on are the same as children. Regular pedestrians just slow down and use bell or call out which side you're passing on and give a thanks as you're passing. Slowing down is always the main thing whenever you're sharing space with pedestrians and even then have your hand on the front brake ready to jam it to a stop anytime you have to come within 6 ft of a person.

Edit: and always give priority to pedestrians even when they're doing stupid poo poo

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah exactly. Never get mad at pedestrians and just assume they're going to change direction at a moment's notice and cut you off and that's their right.

I recently came across at least a hundred people jogging down the street and bike lane while I was going the opposite direction and even outdoors it was really uncomfortable that none of them were wearing masks. I just pulled over and leaned against the wall with my bike waiting for them to pass because mask-less crowds really get my anxiety going as a person who has never really suffered from anxiety beyond what everybody has.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

My wife and I have basically just avoided trails and hiking since this whole thing began due to the confined space you're walking down, but I don't know if this is really rational. She goes running in areas with a lot of space and I wear my mask while riding in the bike lane and parks.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 15, 2020

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

leftist heap posted:

Baby got a new ride today

How much do those trailers weigh? Gonna get one eventually once I got a kid

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

leftist heap posted:

This one ways just shy of 30lbs. I’ve found that the range of weights is generally around 20-30lbs depending on the type of trailer.

I’m excited to take it out. Will provably just take the baby for a walk in it with a helmet on to get her used to it at first though.

Let us know how it goes! Also, what age can you start taking babies in these things? Working on the baby part now.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

So I just noticed that my bell only fits on my wife's hybrid and my rockhopper handlebars. I tried to put it on my new road bike but the handlebars are too big for the bracket. Where the hell can I attach this thing?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

slicing up eyeballs posted:

help I live in hell and it's consistently >90°F, what can I do to keep my commutes and recreational rides from killing me

I sweat a ton and have no problems riding for extended periods in hot 90-100° weather as long as I'm hydrated. I think I drink about 1 liter of water per hour on days like that and usually bring about 4 liters just to be super safe if I'm going to be riding for around 3 hours. I got two liter bottles for the cages on my bike and then a 2 liter platypus bag in my backpack for refills. This might be a bit excessive because I never run out, but towards the end of a long ride I'm usually just chugging half a bottle at a time in that heat. Where I'm at is consistently very humid though, so 90 will frequently have a "feels like 100" on the weather report.

But also be super careful if you start getting dizzy or anything related to heat stroke because my mother actually just had that happen to her recently and had to get in the car with AC full blast and chug a ton of water. If it's bad enough you can drop dead.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah good luck. It doesn't feel like a real ride for me anymore unless I can brush the salt off of my face afterwards

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

Landed a high-level game industry gig in LA. Spending 3 or 4 days a week there. Office at the edge of Malibu.

Nice bike commute:

Absolutely beautiful view and cool bike as always.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

The old man vibes are so strong it's hard to.type on.this.phoneeee

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

tuyop posted:

I don't gotta do poo poo. I like going fast.

Yeah exactly. Also, the commuting thread is where people ride whatever the hell thing they got off craigslist, so it's a pretty weak troll

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

I got chastised by a fellow employee for riding my Brompton on PCH (Pacific Palisades) sans helmet.

I mentioned that cycling in office clothes sans helmet gets me more space from drivers and he agreed.

Anyway, the only helmet that would fit my 62cm head is the Specialized Max and that is back in San Diego with the Recumbent. They don't make that anymore.

The psychological analysis of the driver's attitude here is interesting because I would struggle to analyze drivers' behavior in my city where I have anecdotally been yelled at for cycling in the clearly marked bus/cycling lane while stopped at a red light. Otherwise agreeing that it's always better to ride a bike than not to ride a bike regardless of helmet use and availability.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Awww, I was hoping that you were teaching at Institut Catholique de Paris, where I went for a semester, but that doesn't look like it at all. What neighborhood is your school in if you're willing to share?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Today, I rode about 2.5 km just around my local streets. I'm very gradually building up to commuting, which will be about 6 km with a 70 m rise at the work end, according to Google (the university sits on a hill, most of the town is pretty flat). Just my little zip around got my breathing and heart rate up, and my quads feel (very lightly) like they were not getting stretched out enough when I coasted.

Man, I really have to be going up a solid hill at this point for me to even breathe out of my mouth. You're going to get there and start looking for longer routes home because that commute's gonna be cutting the fun short too soon.

Regarding seat height, yeah you gotta dial it in until you're happy and as long as you're not ducking side to side while pedaling you're fine. I'm sure other people have more advice for how to do that. Biggest headache for me was changing my pedals back to flats and now I can't even figure out where my seat is supposed to be anymore

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I once tried to wear this pair of linen shorts that I own while riding, but the fabric just kept slapping my balls every time it went taut

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Any advice on getting a new rider up to speed on handling hills? I think we'll need to stick to the protected bike lanes for now to avoid blocking traffic and angering drivers, but I am worried about wearing the guy out to the point where he won't be able to continue because it's gonna be all uphill on the way home.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Man, the Dutch don't know poo poo about commuting by bike to work. Everyday in Ouagadougou, I'd see hundreds of men, women, women with children, elderly people, all biking on ancient step-through bikes and they'd just leave them on the side of the road with no locks or nothing when they got to their destination.

Let me know when I can leave my bike unlocked in Amsterdam and it won't be stolen. Land of upright men indeed

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's awesome. I wish I had the funds to see how long a bike can go unlocked without being stolen around in Paris, but something tells me it's not very long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmXefaY6coo

You can check out the first couple minutes if you want to see some shots of people cycling in Burkina. Also a good bit of the dialogue is in French, in case you've never heard some West African accents, which I assume is not that case if you live in Paris. The rest is obviously about the annual race the Tour du Faso.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

CopperHound posted:

If your boyfriend wants something cheap, I would recommend just getting the cheapest used bike that gives a functional* test ride that isn't a department store brand.

In addition to the list, and as a person who doesn't know brands very well, I'd suggest just searching whatever model you come across and crossing it off the list if it shows up in walmart as an easy way to identify department store brands

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

He also insists that no one should be allowed to have any fun while on a bicycle and you should never go above a walking speed or else you're doing it wrong. His insights on bike commuting if you wanna be generous are extremely limited to his narrow experience of having well developed cycling infrastructure in an area that's got responsible drivers, that never gets hot and also doesn't have any changes in elevation.

So in contrast, do what makes you happy and get as into the gear or whatever as you want. It's pretty swampy and hilly in my area and I wear exercise clothes for biking and change out of them when I arrive.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Both of you guys with lovely breaks need to get that fixed as soon as possible and maybe avoid riding in the rain entirely. If you're having issues stopping, you can get seriously injured. Be safe guys

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

One downside I've noticed in my aluminum tough road is the flex on the front fork means that the disc brake will rub in turns unless I adjust the left side out a bit. Not the end of the world, but requires a little extra effort to get the caliper seated in the correct position. Otherwise, bike is fun and the lightest one I got (the others being steel or my carbon full suspension)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Never take a day off bike commuting

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I have no commute, and I must bike.

It's been about two solid years for me and then COVID hit at I'm working from home indefinitely at least into the next year, but I mask up and ride around town or go to the lake park and just ride full speed for an hour and a half or two around the loop every day when it's not raining. Leftover previous hurricane is coming in tonight, so I guess I'll have some really uncomfortable twitching legs in bed tomorrow night

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Koth posted:

I took a week off bike commuting due to a neck injury and when it thought about it, it was the longest stretch I've been off my bike in about 5 years.

Ok, so I said two solid years, but I did take about a month and a half off out of a recommended 2 months in a splint for a bike-related wrist injury. I couldn't loving stand it and finally started riding again, but my wrist did take about 5 months before I could open the window or wash my back with it.

VideoGameVet posted:

Before COVID I'd take Amtrak and the folder up to LA from San Diego country. All I had was the bike to get around. So yeah, no days off from Bike Commuting:

The wet:

The hot:

Hells yeah. I still need to get some waterproof pants for winter rain, but otherwise my commute is normally humid as hell summers on 90-100 degree days or disgusting slushy days in the 30s during the winters. Spring and fall are great though.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Of all the activities you can do during the pandemic, I think cycling is probably one of the best options. I've just been avoiding heavily trafficked areas and mountain biking for the moment

Edit: and I wear a cotton scarf over mouth and nose because I can just shift it around when it gets too wet from my breathing whereas a mask feels like I'm waterboarding myself after 20 minutes

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

with that kind of poo poo condition is it better to have extra weight over the rear tire with the panniers or loading it all up in a backpack? I am way more comfortable with the weighted backpack that's got a couple six packs than I am with the loaded panniers, but I have much more experience with the former

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

People frequently leave those scooters in the bike lane and I always give them a vigorous hurl out of the way.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Heck yeah. Always fun to use your own speed to yeet them onto the lane.

I am not sure what you're picturing, but I always come to a stop in front of the abandoned scooter and then lift it up and shotput them onto the sidewalk (they're very heavy). You get a nice solid impact and the alarm always goes off.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Nah, we got large sidewalks here or they end up in the grass. Lots of people use their wheel chairs or scooters in the bike lane anyway because it's actually flat, unlike the sidewalks

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Where do you guys live that police harass cyclists for minor infractions btw? Our police can't even be bothered to solve murders when they're not brutalizing the black population.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Oh yeah, my city is majority black and there are a lot of black cyclists. I've never heard of any of my friends here in Baltimore getting that kind of treatment, but I wouldn't put anything past the BPD. I just can't imagine them getting out of their cars to give anybody a citation for something like that, but I'm also not entirely sure what the citationable offenses are here and I doubt they would know either. I'm always worried when I go to D.C. that they might actually enforce traffic rules there because most cyclists stop and wait for lights to change when there's zero traffic.

Edit: so yeah, my question was more of a, "huh you guys have cops that give out citations to cyclists?" kinda vibe because I've pointed illegal activity out to our cops and they said "we're going somewhere" and then drove off without their lights on.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

marshalljim posted:

You live in Baltimore. If you think that's a typical law enforcement environment, that's really on you.
This is my home town and the only place I've ever lived outside of study abroad and Peace Corps, so I am happy to hear other people's experiences :shrug:

VacaGrande posted:

Not a chance. The only traffic enforcement of any kind in DC is by automated camera. That said, if a driver runs you over, MPD will ticket your broken body.

This is news I can use