Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I lost ~30 lbs, got in to the best shape of my life commuting to work by bike, strongly recommend. You need to do it for 60 days to really get the full cardio benefit.

kimbo305 posted:

Getting used to any saddle when you start out takes some days/weeks to work up to,

Not a terrible OP, can you make this more prominent? Number of times "my butt hurts, should I get <some 3" gel padded monstrosity I saw I target in the bicycle section> to fix this?" will come up in this thread is going to number in to the hundreds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was not a helmet convert until I did an escooter and slammed head first into the pavement at full speed without one

I got lucky, only nearly bit through my upper lip, which healed in under two weeks. Had I not tens of thousands of bike miles under my belt. I probably wouldn't have landed as softly as I did

The big surprise to me is how poorly my meat brain handled being jostled about in it's fluid suspension. Imagine swinging your head into a concrete pillar in a parking garage. That's your head without a helmet in a low speed collision. Just give your head a light tap against a wall some time and see how that feels.

Anyways, would not recommend

I still don't wear my helmet 100% of the time, but I'm at about 80% now

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I did a pretty flat commute in Dallas, about 3 miles, I was not super sweaty when I arrived, but I had to buy myself a fan for the office to keep myself from sweating once I got there. I also have abnormally not sweaty Scandinavian genes.

I think 12 miles is the upper limit for "this is fun, I can do this forever". I think as a casual, the upper limit is closer to 7, especially in Texas in August, unless you have showers etc at your office

With an ebike you can probably considerably extend those upper limits, I dunno how much, but probably by at least 40, if not 100%, especially when you start adding in Austin hills

I've always done USB rechargable led lights, they work great for me, your mileage may vary. What brands, style etc is a religious debate, up there with tire brand/model (Gatorskin)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah when it comes to kids, anyone under about 16, just assume that their mission is to leap into your path and try and jam their limbs in between the spokes of your wheels

They're like lumbering squrrels. Sometimes they freeze in their tracks, other times they unexpectedly dart in front of you

Goes double for any kid under about 6

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I had a red 70s motobecane that looked just like that... Very plush ride. Bike weighed about 36 lbs, soaked up road bumps like buttah

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In Texas there's a ride scheduled in the hot flat plains in the middle of August, it's called the Hotter'n'Hell 100 and it regularly sees temps above 95 by 10am

They start shortly after dawn and there are hydration stations every ten miles. Use that as a loose guide. I like drinking a liter of water every 15 miles or so. You can't really drink too much water while riding

Somewhere between 13 and 19mph is it sweet spot for producing your own wind and cooling yourself off. That nerdy spandex poo poo does help with evaporation to keep you cooler, as much as it pains me to say it. There's some goon designed spandex in another thread called bear poor, worth looking into

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 22, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Uh, it's been a long time since I was in here, but just wanted to say thanks for finally having a good thread title

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah when they're tiny a (convertible-to-stroller) trailer's actually easier logistics wise, but I loving hate riding with them. Our solution was a car seat base under the bullitt canopy (but the canopy fabric is a PoS) so I could just click the seat off the base and bring it indoors, or set the kid up indoors and just carry them to the bike already strapped in.

Can you post an updated photo of what your Bullitt looks like after...3? years? I haven't kept track, of almost daily use, I'm genuinely curious how these things hold up as a replacement for a family car under actual conditions. Glossy marketing photos aren't very Real

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Here is my semi annual post about my now six year old $30 reflective commuting jacket. Found out recently the baby cam works great at showing off how reflective it is

Some people were falsely claiming that it loses effectiveness over time, isn't durable, isn't reflective in the rain. None of those turned out to be true. A++ would buy again

Search "3m nano bead reflective jacket" and pick the cheapest option. These photos are taken in IR but the effect in visible light to a car is identical. Visible light cell phone photos don't do it justice unfortunately

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They work!

They don't breathe terribly well, but when it's 45 degrees out that's a feature, not a bug

For $30 you could also just add your own pit vents with a kitchen knife (not while wearing it)

It's also about 20% water resistant, whereas cotton is 0%

Edit: in daylight they look medium light gray, and make sure you order one size larger as they're "Asian fit"

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 29, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Besides gore-tex and competitors?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pretty sure that's a mountain/fire mana

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jestery posted:

In all seriousness, should you buy some yellow spray paint and make them more visible?

Yes

Rust-Oleum sells an extra durable farm equipment yellow in a can for any $6

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yep your butt will acclimate in 30-45 days

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dobbs_Head posted:

Got honked at by my first car. On a calm, clear road with plenty of room this car zooms past me super close while honking. I expected that kind of assholery, but jeez it’s scary in the moment.

Dude, I’m just trying to get to work.

My favorite honking moment was getting honked at by a Prius. This was back when owning a Prius was an environmental statement piece, not simply a way to save on gas

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

osker posted:

There is no way short of changing given your location. I was in texas for a conference and decided to take a bike ride to a brewery. Instant swamp cheeks.

Agree

Dallas is like 75% the heat/humidity of Houston and I'd still get sweaty on my downhill commute to work in the mornings

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I started off putting this stuff on my bike, and after I got married and had a kid, bought more and put it on my stroller

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y7I310/

Don't get anything larger than 1" as it's really thick stuff and the adhesive struggles on a
1) really glossy paint job, and
2) around tight radius tubing (e.g. seat stays)

If you cut it in half length wise you can make stripes and wrap it around frame tubes barber-pole style, or cut it into tiny bits and stick it on to any flat surface

Here it is in red: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y7HR3A/

This adhesive is strong enough to stick to any tubing ~1.75" in diameter or larger (most every down tube), or strangely, any cordoba ballistic nylon. I still have three x 3" stripes of this on my timbuktu bag I put there ~6 years ago and that thing has probably been on 30 plane rides since then

Hadlock posted:

Check out my handiwork with the reflective tape on the stroller:

This is standard industrial 3m reflective tape you can buy on Amazon for about $7, in white, blends in perfectly with your silver colored stroller

Modern phones with their HDR make it too hard to show off how effective this stuff is, but on an infrared baby cam, it finally looks how it does on the sidewalk at night. A++ would recommend

Supposedly they make a black version now too that's about 90% as good, but I haven't tried it

Note I put postage stamp sized bits on the inside of the wheels, when they're spinning they're alarmingly visible from across any intersection; same reason bicycle pedals and bike wheels come with reflectors installed

I wouldn't judge you one bit if you have the opportunity to do this, especially the first week back from NYE

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 25, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mauser posted:

My friend didn't know what he was doing and put wd40 on the rim brakes because they were too tight and dragging on the rim. That poo poo got loving everywhere in my apartment when he brought it over for me to fix

Wait what, can you expand on this

He applied the WD40 at his house, then dragged it to your house and there was still so much on there, it was dripping off?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mauser posted:

Just found out a friend of mine got hit by a car running a red light and needed brain surgery. Wanted to say that there are things outside your control and it's a good idea to wear a helmet while commuting.

Update on friend?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

26 inches is equivalent to 66cm and I think you said 57 is your ideal size

Unless you're 9 feet tall, that bike is going to be unrideable, or at least castrate you the first time you need to do an emergency stop

Stem is fine, single piece

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just looking at the proportion of head tube to wheel diameter, looks like a Really Tall bike for anyone not at least 6'3"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

and seems easy to self-assemble. Now, all of these things say "after assembling this, take it to a bike shop to get it checked out before riding." Is this... one of those things they put up for legal reasons but most people probably don't do? Seems weird to walk into a bike shop and be like "hey can you tell me if I hosed this up?" Like what do you even pay for that?

I don't mind the idea of paying for someone to assemble it just to make sure I don't kill myself forgetting to tighten some nuts or whatever, just

Yes and no

For a lot of people have no problem wrenching on a simple machine like a bicycle, probably already own a set of home depot brand crescent wrenches and socket wrenches in the most common sizes, couple screwdrivers, allen wrenches etc

There's also a lot of people who shouldn't be trusted with kitchen knives in their own home, and aren't aware there's more than one size of flat blade screwdrivers, and will end up stabbing themselves with said screwdriver

I've seen a lot of Walmart bikes where someone paid $50 for assembly and still got the fork installed pointing backwards.

So it's a very wide spectrum

If you aren't sure about your bike you can call the shop and be like "hey I got this bike, can you do a safety inspection and tune up? What's that? $50 bucks? Ok"

Edit and yeah the benefit of bike share is when you lock it up on the street and walk away, you never need to think about it again. When you lock up your $700 bicycle you're gonna be worried about it until you get back, and now it lives in your unit at night

$185 a year is a loving great deal, you can get three years of bike share for the price of buying a bike, plus 0 cost to you if/when it gets stolen

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 16, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I just kept a dedicated lock at my office parking location. Nobody ever bothered me about it. That was in Dallas

After SF, I don't think I'd street park my bike in a major downtown without at least three heavy duty kryptonite chains, one through each wheel and a third through the frame and at least one wheel, and let them live on the street

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

:siren: Crazy goons with mad Craigslist Skills are waiting to help you out. :siren:
If you want help with buying a bike, include the following in your post:

Height: 6'
Inseam: 30"
Budget: ideally $200 used but can go up substantially for the right bike
Length of commute: 1.6 miles one way to daycare
Terrain: gently rolling hills, 200' vertical drop suburban side roads
Link to local Craigslist or equivalent (if looking for second hand):
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/pleasant-hill-vintage-10speed-bicycle/7605435362.html

Uh, I think that covers it. Basically I'm going to take my kid to daycare about a mile and a half downhill, then hoof it back uphill to the house. This is likely going to be my main form of "exercise"

I commuted by bike for about 7 years and then my commute got so short it was less of a hassle to just walk but now in suburbia it's a bit more spread out. Anyways I'm well equipped and haven't forgotten too much about bike maintenance so not worried about the condition of the bike got lots of spare parts and whatnot, just want something not made from lead and maybe looks halfway cool and can take some newer Shimano brakes so it can stop ok

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/pleasant-hill-vintage-10speed-bicycle/7605435362.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/concord-cm-specialized-allez-restored/7611213322.html

I strongly prefer the old style, perfectly horizonal top tube bikes. the most exotic frame geometry I'd be willing to look at would be something like an all city space horse but I've never seen one for sale used

Everyone is going to peg me as a 54cm but I actually prefer running the seat all the way down and stretch out forward more on a 56cm. 58cm and things start to feel a bit tippy iirc

My ideal bike is an aluminum frame 1999 era gt edge 56cm but they're rarer than hens teeth, although they do show up on eBay a handful of times a year

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gonna pile on here, panniers are absolutely the way to go, it's not even a question. Backpack is for people who ride their bike once a month and need to inflate the tube every time they ride because it's been too long. If you're buying a backpack specifically for bike use, you're the prime candidate for a pannier

I got the mega cheap ortleib city with no interior pockets and I still have them, they're about the size of a paper grocery sack and fully waterproof

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

If you don't get a huge ahooga horn yer ded to me

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Somehow when I was a kid my dad came home one day with one of those big chrome 18 wheeler big rig horns that are about 3' long and 1000dB loud

By mere coincidence about week later we got an air compressor hose extension that allowed us to shoot an air duster gun into the air hookup on the back of the horn from the back deck which looked towards the city. After a couple of "test fires", by Mom's Law we were only allowed to use it at midnight on new years

A couple of times I ran the mental math it would take to strap a similar horn on my bike, along with, probably two 2L soda bottles pumped up to 150psi and some air tube, but never did it

BWAAAaaaaaaaaaaaa-hp

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GIS for "pack animals"

Made sense to me

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My commute used to be a 200' vertical drop at 8 am (before it got to be 80F outside), rolling up the sleeves on my button up shirt was all that was needed. I did have a fan at my desk I'd switch on.

How much you sweat plays a big part in it. I might get moist around my helmet pads but it's gotta be really hot (95F for more than 20 minutes) to actually get sweaty

My buddy on the other hand, he has salt stains on all his clothes after an hour and is totally gross after only 20 minutes

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Al2001 posted:

Yep

I also think this thread must skew pretty heavily towards morning people, because the idea getting up 10, 20, 30 mins early every day to mess with extra clothing/showering... not now, not ever. (Yes I shower the night before work. No I don't smell.)

Absolutely. As you get older, you realise people have very different levels of eyesight and hearing, it isn't cool to spook pedestrians by passing close at high speed, and if you hit them you should have the book thrown at you.

Back in like 2012 I used to work at an Old School finance/bank company where we had "casual fridays" and we got to wear ~jeans~ there was no hard and fast rule about what time you came in but it was generally understood anyone could put a meeting on your calendar for 9am and you were expected to show up. I eventually came to an unspoken understanding with my boss that I'd be in NLT 9:30 and before 9:15 was the exepectation

Post covid, we'll see about my next job but currently daily standup meeting happens at 9am and I'm usually making coffee in my own kitchen at that time

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Not everybody is able to zoom into the office and show up whenever they like, and biking to work shouldn't be just a special thing for people privileged enough to set their own office hours.

If you drive behind any restaurant in the Houston/clear lake area there's 3-12 bikes locked up there

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The point is ... unhelpful,

I don't think anyone here is trying to be unhelpful

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I did the math back in 2012, I had to pay to park downtown. Between fuel and maintenance parking insurance it was about $5k/year. If you add in the needed gym you can add another $1200/year

At the time I was flying to Europe on vacation twice a year on a 40k salary and my coworkers couldn't figure out how I could afford it, it was because I was commuting by bike and only drove my car a handful of times a month (maybe 100 miles a month) using one of those "only pay for what you drive" insurance services. I rolled over all the car savings into travel

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I paid $250 recently for a real nice 80's Fuji road bike, market is kind of soft at least in the NorCal region, maybe the Seattle area too

Poster is correct this is high bike season, inventory is probably going to be low

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're under 5'10" this is a good bike $200
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/d/seattle-panasonic-dx-2000-road-bike/7627889570.html

If you're over 6' this is a good bike for $500, not sure I want to pay $600 for it
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/d/seattle-mens-carbon-fiber-look-road-bike/7627521031.html

This looks pretty solid and well maintained
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/d/renton-raleigh-sport-road-bike/7624146276.html

Heavy bike for someone just under 6' but good quality, just heavy and old
https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bik/d/bellevue-gitane-defi-road-bike-medium/7624590012.html

Another older bike but nice if slightly heavy, my buddy has this but in black with red accents for someone under 6'
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/d/everett-vintage-18-speed-road-mens-bike/7628730387.html

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We had really bad air quality in CA a few years ago. North of ~160 and I velt noticably off. At 200+ I had to lay down after a few hours. I feel for you guys. Wear an N95 if you go outside, it makes a HUGE difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Auras are great. They're fairly reusable too, although airflow through the mask declines pretty rapidly after extended use. Usually at the airport I'll put one on that I'd used previously for a flight, and then when I get on the plane I'll put on a new one and the additional flow on the new one is immediately obvious.