Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxus
May 5, 2017
With thanks to xcheopis and Runcible Cat, who identified that book like bosses, and Agrinja for encouraging me on the basis that anything I remembered after a quarter-century is probably wild.

Twenty-five years ago, when I were a lad, I read a book that I found randomly in the school library and no one stopped me from reading because I was one of those kids that read everything. Parts of it stuck with me, and about ten years ago I started looking for it off and on. Last week, the Identify That Book thread came through and I hold in my hand Seaward, by Susan Cooper, published in 1983. I've read about forty pages, enough to confirm it's the book I sought, which has a lot of crazy happenings.

As I said in the thread, some things stuck in my memory. I mean, I have a good memory but I read this when I wasn't even ten and some of this has stuck with me for twenty-five years, I imagine this gets bonkers.

I posted:

-There were two main characters, a boy and a girl (young man/young woman?) I remember the guy is introduced when he's walking down a forest trail a bird flies right by him, but he doesn't turn to look because he's only letting himself look backwards every mile or so. This distinctly stuck out to me because I couldn't imagine having the discipline to do that. He's a on a journey or something.

-I remember the heroine dies at one point, kinda early on, gets revived, and the hero is so glad he kisses her.

-I know the villainess is an evil sorceress queen. Who rules the country they're in. Seems like she's after the heroine or something?

-The couple find a house that I remember being shared by an old woman and a woodcutter(?). The old woman has treated the house's floor (waxed it?) so no evil can enter the house for a month, but the woodcutter works for the evil queen (more because he can't beat her or something, I remember it felt like) and grumbles about how it's the queen's country and if she finds she can't enter a house in her country there'll be trouble.

-Seems like the woodcutter got killed by a claw from a summoned dragon that he was turning to stone with his bestowed powers from the Queen (I think). He was doing something to it to render it immobile.

-Also, there's a part late in the book where the hero is riding on the back of serpent or a seal thing that can go through a magic shortcut and it's completely dark and so silent and he can hear the rush of blood in his ears.

So let's have a look at Seaward! I'll try to do these in blocks of four chapters. I've never really done a Let's Read before so let's see how I do.

Chapter 1
Right off the bat we get one of my memory cues and how time distorts detail.

Seaward posted:

Westerly came down the path at a long lope, sliding over the short moorland grass. His pack thumped against his back with each stride. A lark flicked suddenly into the air a yard away from him; flew low for a few feet; dropped; flew again.

"Go home," he said. "It's not you they want."

He strode on without pausing, without turning to see the bird wheel and dart her watchful way back to the nest. He had promised himself not to look behind him--not more than once every mile. He had turned too often in the last few days, expecting always to see figures prickling the horizon, far-off but implacable, following. But each time the hills had been empty.

I remembered this as being forest. But I was in second grade and didn't know what a moorland was so I'm not surprised I took it as "birds = forest". I also didn't remember he was being chased by something, nor his name. I'm semi-picturing him as Westley from The Princess Bride because of associations there. Incidentally, I feel like li'l Maxus could have stood to remember that not even Westerly had the discipline to not look back more often than once a mile.

Also, three semicolons in the third sentence there, there's books that don't manage that many a chapter.

Anyway, Westerly is being pursued by something or someone. He's hot, though, and hungry, and at a branch in the track he's following through the grass, he goes towards water he can hear. At a stream, he drinks and catches a fish bare-handed. Special note is made of the chest hair he's beginning to grow, I guess to give him an age bracket of "pubescent but not adult." He cooks and eats the fish, then he does something strange.

Seaward posted:

He picked the fish clean and stamped out the dying fire. Then he took the glistening white skeleton, tipped still with head and tail-fin, and laid it across the blackened twigs pointing back the way that he had come. He took out his knife and raised it high, stabbing the blade down into the ground behind the white bone-arrow's tail, and hesitantly, trying to remember, he said some words under his breath.

And the skeleton of the fish called out, in a thin high scream shrilling like a cicada, and Westerly knew that there was danger, that he must go on.

So Westerly knows magic of some kind, and he's definitely still in danger. Also, using fish necromancy to tell if you're in danger is probably against the laws of man and god, but if it works, it works. I just wonder how he learned and what else he knows. Anyway, he packs up and starts going uphill from the stream.

That ends chapter 1, which contains a journey from danger, fish, abominations against the natural order, and four semicolons, three of them in the first paragraph. (I spotted another one later on).

Chapter 2
Chapter 2 introduces our other protagonist, Cally. I remembered even less about her than I did Westerly. She seems to be a character from modern day Earth, living in a house in the countryside. Well, modern day for the 80s, as time will show. Incidentally, things feel vaguely British here; some of the phrasing is a bit more oriented for the easterly side of the pond.

Her father is, Cally knows, dying. He's got some illness that's shrunken him and sapped his energy and this day he's going to a hospital "by the sea".

So, he's got probably cancer. I'm sure AIDS was kicking around in the early 80s when this was written, but I doubt it was in books aimed at young people.

She comes down from an apple tree that she climbs and sits in as Her Spot, and sees her dad off. It's some professional outfit, they have a driver and a nurse to take him away.

Seaward posted:

Cally's mother pulled up the collar of his coat, and stood with her arm around him. Then there was a tall figure at the front door, reaching down, picking up the suitcase waiting on the floor. Cally stared. It was a woman, older than her mother yet somehow more strongly alive; from the lined pale face and the frame of white hair, startlingly blue eyes looked keenly into her own.

"Hallo, Cally," the woman said. He voice was soft, with a lilt of an accent.

Cally smiled uncertainly.

"We've met before;" the woman said, "but only at a distance. We shall meet again soon." She took Cally's father's arm, very gently. "We'll take good care of him."

I don't trust this woman. There's sinister business afoot. She's tall, young on the inside, knows Cally somehow, sure that's ominous (as much as healthy older people can be ominous). But no. Even more suspicious business is going on.

She speaks a semicolon. That's a dark magic, there. No benevolent creature is naturally capable of such a grammatical feat or would even be inclined to try. Like the dark arts of penmanship and sentence diagrams, the skill of pronouncing stunt punctuation is only naturally held by devils and the fae, and it is thanks to this inborn facility of precision that no normal mortal can hope to best them in the crafting of contracts and bargains. They're also shapechangers but often the shapechangers can't alter their eyes. Therefore, I will be alert to anyone with blue eyes in this book, and look at them with mistrust.

Also, there's been a few more semicolons along the way but I felt this one to be especially noteworthy.

Anyway, Cally and her mom both have sort of messed-up hands.

Seaward posted:

The palms of both Cally's hands were strangely marked, and had been since she was a born; at the base of the fingers the skin was rough and thickened, so that it was difficult for the hand to curl into a fist. Her mother's hands were the same; it was, she said vaguely, an obscure inherited disease.

I don't know what that is but I know it's going to come up later.

Anyway. Her father's gone, and her mother doesn't do well either. Soon after, her mother broaches the idea of going to the hospital herself. Cally reassures her she'll be fine, and an Aunt Tess will come stay with her, but there will be a couple of days where Cally has the house to herself. Like any teenager, Cally's all over this idea but she actually seems pretty sane and responsible. After she agrees, at night she hears her mom singing a strange, shifting song that seems familiar to her. Let's stick a pin in this--it reminds Cally of the sea, which she's never seen, but she liked the apple tree in the beginning because it also reminded her of the sea.

Well, the book is called Seaward. I imagine it's going to be important in there somehow.

The same nurse (whom we shall watch with great suspicion) comes to pick up her mom and Cally remembers the nurse's 'We'll meet again!' uncomfortably.

Smart woman. Hone that suspicion, Cally!

Cally is on her own for a couple of days, albeit with her mom leaving prepared meals and everything. The books nails this--being alone and in charge of the house is pretty fun at first. The worst she gets up to is she talks to her friend Jen on the phone.

She seems to hear her mother's song again, but the voice isn't quite her mom's. It goes away, and comes back the next morning, so loud she calls her friend at seven on a Saturday. Plot twist! Her friend Jen can't hear the song even though it should be audible over the phone. She's freaked out and gets dressed to run to her friend's house, when the song comes in, impossibly strong and loud and angry. Scared, Cally casts about and she's drawn to her mother's mirror, a nice antique with fish and greenery carved into the wood of the frame. She goes to the mirror because it's something comforting and the song is clawing at her sanity. She leans her palms to the mirror--and it opens up for her like she fell into water and she goes through.

This is some pretty good creepy writing, with the phantom song and everything. Also, I counted twenty-four semicolons in this chapter alone, bringing us up to 28, and I can't swear that haven't missed one or two.

Chapter 3
Westerly arrives at the top of the hills from the river and takes stock of where he is and what he can see. He can see more of the moorland he was on below, and he can see a battle going on--formations of soldiers glad in gold and soldiers clad in blue are below, making up a battle.

Seaward posted:

He stared, disbelieving. All over the plateau, spread in the shape of an immense square, he saw gleaming clusters of men in blue or gold; swaying, hovering in their places. He saw a crowd of golden foot-soldiers, waving swords, shouting behind the blazing reflections from their shields; among them he saw a group of horsemen in blue robes, blue banners flying, spears held for the charge but the horses held in check, waiting.

He saw towers so like castles that it was a shock to look again and realise that they were mounted on wheels, to be tugged and pushed by other groups of foot-soldiers in blue or gold. In another cluster of horsemen he saw a single mounted figure in black, holding a tall glistening cross high on a pole. Each small crowd seemed full of fierce energy--and yet none moved. A shout rose from the far corner of the patterned throng, where most of the clustering figured shimmered sky-blue, and all at once a group of golden horsemen cantered forward through the motionless, menacing figures around them, turned abruptly to one side and reined in, their horses whinnying with impatience.

The movement seemed oddly, bafflingly familiar. Then above his head Westerly heard a voice, soft and musical and yet seeming to fill the whole sky. It said with amusement, "Knight to king's pawn four. But that will do you no good at all."

Yeah, that's right. Westerly found a chess game being played with living armies.

Seaward posted:

Westerly looked up. he had thought himself on the crest, but on a slope above him, two figures stood. He could not see them clearly against the bright sky, but they seemed far taller than human height: one a hooded form wrapped in a gleaming gold cloak; the other a woman, blue-robed, her hood flung back to show a mass of waving hair so fair it seemed to be white.

She turned to him, and he could not distinguish her face but knew the eyes suddenly holding his gaze were a strange bright blue. She looked at him for a long time, and at last she said, "You should not be here in this country, Westerly."

I told you semicolons are bad news. So there's a suspicion validated--the blue-eyed woman is, I suspect, the villainess I remember. I don't remember the man in gold at all but I suspect it'll become clear.

Anyway, Westerly says he came through a door his mother showed him before she was killed, and the blue woman speculates that he's being chased. She idly commands her bishop to take the 'knight' that just moved, and Westerly sees the soldiers in gold instantly vanish when the blue bishop moves into their space. This naturally freaks him out.

To distract from her questions, he asks why the sides aren't black and white.

Seaward posted:

The answering voice was not hers. It came from the other tall figure, hooded in its heavy gold robe: a deep voice, catching oddly at some memory he could not find.

"Nothing is black and white, Westerly, in this long game we play."

Okay. Westerly has some history with the guy or something. Also, moral ambiguity. I'm getting strong faerie vibes here--blue and gold make me think of the Winter and Summer Courts.

Anyways. Blue-Eyes tells him the plain is so big his pursuers will see him crossing it when they follow his path to the ridge and he won't be able to lose the tail. She specifically tells him "the white bones will not help you" and offers him a chance at shaking his pursuit: Join their game. She makes it clear it's only a chance, but he's in so bad a place a gamble is a good shot. He agrees, and he's offered a choice of what side to join, blue or gold. He's so overwhelmed with gratitude and relief at help that he almost blurts out 'blue' but the man in gold declares Westerly will join his side.

Then he's transported into formation, dressed in gold livery and equipment. The soldiers are living enough people to shout and swear, and he takes his place in formation. He finds out he can see the two players on the ridge but everyone else around him can't. He waits a couple of turns, then sees one of the rooks--the rolling towers--is about to take the group of pawns he's a part of, and he nopes out of there. His unit gets vaporized by the rook and then everyone on both sides breaks and runs after him for breaking the rules, I guess. Westerly runs, ditching gear to trip people up as they pursue him, and just as he thinks he's caught, he reaches the edge of the 'chessboard' and he has his own clothes and gear and he's safe again. The only thing he sees around is a hawk watching him from the sky.

So he keeps on truckin'.

I have only the vaguest memory of this chapter. Something about the confusion when he's in the formation of pawns rings a faint bell. I'm also pretty sure I hadn't learned to play chess by second grade--I think that hadn't come until a couple of years later--so there wasn't much for my memory to latch onto.

I make it a further ten semicolons.

Chapter 4
To my surprise, this is another Westerly chapter. I half-expected they'd alternate. Anyway. Our boy has successfully legged it to the woods, and it's getting dark. He finds a log cabin with a light on inside, but hangs back to observe. The cabin is inhabited by the man in gold, and he calls and invites Westerly in. He acknowledges Westerly would have been vanished to nothing if he hadn't run when he did, particularly if he'd joined the Blue Lady's side--and calls her Lady Tanaris. Westerly is unnerved by this. He hates being out at night--it's cold and uncomfortable and he can't sleep deeply outdoors--but he's too untrusting of the man in gold to go inside yet.

Seaward posted:

The man shifted impatiently. "Listen, then," he said. "I will tell you about yourself. You come from another country. You are Westerly, travelling, and you fear those who perhaps follows you, and would kill you if they caught you. You are searching for your father."

Westerly stood very still, listening.

"You travel seaward," said the man in gold, "because your mother told you that it was the sea which would take you to him, though she did not tell you where, or when, or how." He paused for a moment, looking restlessly at the trees. "The nights are not your friend in this country, boy--you must come in. There are three things of which your mother did tell you. Have you forgotten them?"

Westerly heard in his mind his mother's voice, low and urgent, in the last moment that he had seen her. "You will meet three that you can trust: a man with eyes like an owl, a girl with selkie hands, and a creature in a high place. Go bravely. I love you."

Westerly comes in closer, and sees the man has tawny eyes like an owl, and goes inside the cabin.

Calling it here, Cally's hands are selkie hands. Which I guess means her mom's a selkie, too?

Anyways, inside seems comfortable, and they sit at the table and the man introduces himself as Lugan. He also offers Westerly bread and stew, and reminds him it's been a long time since the fish. So the guy basically knows everything about Westerly for some reason.

(Dollar says he's Westerly's dad).

Westerly is bright enough to call him on this, asks if he knows everything, and Lugan answers.

Seaward posted:

Lugan sat playing with a piece of bread, frowning a little, the youthful lines of his face turned sombre with thought. He said at length, "I am your...watchman. As a hawk hangs watching in the sky, I see those things that happen to you--but only when they are happening, not before. Sometimes I may intervene. Not always. There are perils in this country, but there are also laws--and while you journey here, I watch that neither you nor anyone else break those laws."

Westerly chewed on a crust. "You're a sort of policeman."

The big man snorted with laughter, and shook his head. "I do what I choose. Did your mother never speak of me?"

He does what he chooses. Like he did your mom, Westerly.

Westerly says his mom never mentioned Lugan, but talked about Westerly's dad a lot (oh god, if this guy isn't this boy's dad, I'm going to be upset at the Chekhov's gun going unfired). She taught him "things ordinary people don't learn." (Like fish necromancy?) She'd told Westerly he'd go look for his dad someday, but never told him about Lugan or Tanaris.

quote:

Lugan stood up abruptly, his head almost brushing the ceiling. "No. The Lady Tanaris is not often spoke of, anywhere." He sighed. "Tanaris. She is brightness and she is darkness, she is kind and she is cruel. She is--unpredictable. This is her country. And so perhaps is the one from which you came."

He reached one long arm up to a shelf on the rough log wall, and brought down a wooden box. Westerly looked at it curiously. All its sides and top were intricately carved with the forms of dragons, coiling and interweaving, with tiny red gems set in their scaly heads for eyes. Lugan took a key from his pocket and unlocked the box.

"I cannot keep her from you," he said. "She will come whenever she chooses. Sometimes she may help you, sometimes her treachery will engulf you like a wave. The only protection I can give you against the lady is this."

He lifted the lid of the dragon box and took out a small bundle wrapped in red cloth, the corners knotted together over the top. He held it out. Westerly took it gingerly; it was heavy and oddly-shaped, but no larger than his fist.

Lugan said, "Do not untie the knots until you need strength. And then take care. She will--"

He broke off suddenly, his head up, listening. He said abruptly, "Cover your ears."

So there's loud, powerful singing, described similarly as Cally's mother's song, and Tanaris pops up in the room. She complains that Lugan never gives her presents, he says there's no point--she takes what she wants. She praises Westerly for what he did in the chess game--she likes people bright enough to break the rules. She also knows about his quest to find his father, and Westerly is actively fighting her charisma--or is it glamour?--that's making him drop his guard towards her.

Seaward posted:

Tanaris held his gaze. Her voice came low and coaxing. "Come with me, Westerly. I will take you to the sea, and there shall be no more pursuing and no more peril. Come with me, and I will send you over the ocean, to the land of the Tir n'An Og, the ever-young, where there is neither loss nor age nor pain. You will find your father there."

Westerly could feel the tense stillness of Lugan's big figure across the table. He said, "That may be what I shall find, in the end. But I must go seaward on my own."

Tanaris said softly, "Oho." She flicked a glance at Lugan, the blue eyes suddenly cold; then smiled again at Westerly. There was an edge to the voice now. "I could take you, if I chose. Because I like your looks. Oh yes, I could take you."

Again: LUGAN HAS TO BE WESTERLY'S DAD. I will invent new swear words to use and angrily shake books about the craft of writing at the uncaring sky if he is not.

Anyways, Lugan disagrees to his son being ravished in front of him, and Tanaris turns petulant and flashes some power. She points and all the wood in Lugan's cabin--his log cabin, with its wooden walls, wooden floor, wooden ceiling, and wooden furniture--starts putting out branches and growing. Then the walls disappear and they're just in the middle of a blooming forest and flower garden, and Tanaris has de-aged herself to be Westerly's own age, looking all fine and frisky with flowers in her hair. She hits Westerly with a whammy that makes him feel all lonely, and no doubt she would have taken him away and given him some practical lessons on where babies come from before doing something horrible and fae-riffic to him, but then Lugan makes his counter-play--all the wooden dragons climb off his wooden dragon box and start coming through the trees towards Tanaris, growing as they go. Lugan tells him to go west--go go seaward, giving our title drop--and he'll watch over Westerly.

Our boy escapes the clutches of Tanaris, goes through the woods until he finds a river and a boat that looks exactly like the boats they had where he grew up, something he knew how to paddle because he used to help men in his village. He dithers, worrying about breaking a law by stealing the boat, then reckons it's not laws like policeman laws. He also, to dispel any doubt, finds a wooden dragon with ruby eyes, and puts it in the pack along with the gift Lugan gave him. Then he sets off, and doesn't notice the hawk watching him from the sky.

So, the plot thickens. I didn't mention it, but in the chess game Tanaris protested Lugan calling dibs on Westerly until Lugan pointed out she's winning the game already. She's in control here, or something. There's also some symbolism going here. She keeps on having an ocean motif, and her capriciousness is also a pretty common descriptor of the sea. Maybe Lugan is tied to the sun or something? Anyway. I vaguely remember the red pack and I'm sure it's how they summon the dragon I remember.

Also, once again. Lugan. Westerly's dad. Calling it.

Semicolon count for the chapter: 22. Giving us 64 for the four chapters. I'm going to have to go back and recount when this is all down, though, I get too wrapped up in reading as I go. We've almost caught up to where I read to confirm this was indeed the book, so from pretty much here I'll be in uncharted territory.

Maxus fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
That is a fuckton of semicolons, and a whole lot of crazy poo poo.

Maxus
May 5, 2017
Chapter 5
This chapter takes us back to Cally. She comes through the mirror and steps into a pine forest. She, of course, is lost and doesn't know how to get home. She hears the sound of someone chopping wood. There's a track in the woods, and she follows it until she sees a signpost pointing her off the track and into the woods. Lacking any better direction, she goes that way and as the forest starts to thin, finds a statue.

Seaward posted:

It was a pillar of granite; its white-flecked surface gleamed dully in the gray light. But it had a head. Carved into the top of the pillar, so lifelike that it seemed to move, was the face of a woman. The features were clear and beautiful, framed by long waving hair that flowed down and into the rough-cut stone beneath; the mouth smiled and the eyes were welcoming. There was a gentle kindliness in the face that made Cally feel warm, cherished, as if the sun shone. She looked at it for a long time, feeling her taut wariness gradually relax--until she moved a step further, and saw the other side.

At the back of the head, another face was carved, staring out in the opposite direction. The long rippling hair was the same, merged with the hair of the first. But this face was startlingly different. There were the same clear-cut features, but now they were cold and stern; the mouth was a thin cruel line, and the eyes bored into Cally's with a dreadful chill menace that made her skin prickle with fear. Instinctively she moved aside, but the eyes seemed to follow, relentlessly holding her own.

Bet you it's a statue of Taranis.

Anyway, it unnerves her and even the nice side can't comfort her now that she sees it has a bad side. She sees someone in a blue cloak (gee, I wonder who) watching her from the trees and they disappear when she calls out to them. She walks on, finds a big boulder and sits on it. She's got no food and just clothes--jeans and a sweater. Somehow, she only notices the boulder is freakishly, unnaturally cold when she rests her hand on it. It startles her off of it, she backs up, and a ray of sunlight falls on the rock and it splits into two and the halves stand up and become roughly humanoid shapes. They begin to chase her.

Seaward posted:

Cally ran. Choking with terror, she fled through the fern and brush, leaping over rocks, dodging trees; and all the time she heard a great slow tramping behind her, from the crashing two monstrous figures following. She dared not look over her shoulder. She ran and rand, gasping, whimpering, and at last the brush thinned and she was running through the long grass, and before her in a clearing stood a low stone house with smoke rising from its chimney. Through the terrible thudding behind her she heard again the strange rhythmic sound, more metallic now, that she had heard from far off, and near the house she saw a man swinging a long hammer up over his shoulder and down.

For Cally he was the most welcome refuge she had ever seen. She raced towards him and he looked up, letting the hammer fall into a pile of rocks. He was tall and lean, wearing rough denim work-clothes; his face was deep-lined, strong and almost ugly, with a shock of wiry black hair above. Skidding, she cannoned into his legs. Behind her, the great thudding steps slowed and came to a halt. The man caught her by the shoulders. Cally looked up at her in anguished appeal.

His face was expressionless. He set her upright and let her go. "Why do you run?" he said. "They will not hurt you."

Cally's heart jumped; she felt cold. There was no refuge here. She had made a terrible mistake--but it was too late to draw back now.

Yeah, if this guy is who I think it is, you have. Also, where is this that denim is common enough for a random...stonecutter, I guess, to be wearing it?

Anyways, the man is evidently something because he asks the stone men why they ran her to him and these giant stone men answer, apologetically. They say they didn't mean to make Cally afraid and apologize to her and she accepts it because she hears they do sound ashamed of scaring her. Their dialogue of the stone cutter and the stone men is all somewhat stilted, like a Russian accent or something.

Seaward posted:

"Did not mean to make afraid. Thought you might want."
The man said irritably, "For what?"
"For work. Did not mean. Girl--did not mean to make afraid."

The stone men thought Cally could work for this guy, with someone named Ryan. He's distinctly unimpressed that she ran because she didn't know what the stones were doing--"If you don't understand, you fear. Just like Lugan's folk."--but does agree to take her on and give her roof if she'll work.

Seaward posted:

"And understand one thing about the People, so that we'll have no more hysterics." He pointed to the great stone creatures standing motionless before him. "The sun wakes them. When the sun is gone, they...go to sleep. All of us here live by that rule; but for them it must be the touch of the sun that brings them back to life."

Cally remembered the beam of sunlight on the grey rock. She said, "The People?"

"It is what they call themselves." The words were a dismissal; he turned away.

Okay, points to the Stonecutter for being respectful and calling people what they call themselves. That is a surprisingly respectful and accepting take from someone who is in thrall to the forces of evil. If you look, you'll see another spoken semicolon in the first paragraph of the quote there. I remember this guy as especially bad news.

Cally goes into the house as the People start to help the stonecutter smash some rocks, and she's stopped at the door (which is one of those cool ones that open in a top half and bottom half) by a pleasant little old woman inside who's working on polishing the floor. She says her name is Ryan--short for something harder to say--and says she'll catch up with Cally in a minute, but she's got to get the floor finished first. She sends Cally out for herbs--dock leaves, which Cally knows about-- and a handful of sand. Cally retrieves the herbs, notices the area around the house has lots of healthy greenery but no flowers, and a new large stone-block wall across a field and through the woods for no discernible reason. She gets sand from where the Stonecutter has been working.

Seaward posted:

When she went back to the door of the house, fully open now, she paused on the step in surprise. All the grey-white floor was neatly patterned with criss-crossed strips of green; it was like a carpet. But it was not a carpet; she could see Ryan on her knees at the far corner of the room, making the last part of the pattern by rubbing a bunch of leaves hard against the floor so they left a green stain.

Ryan looked up. "Good! Just in time! There's the elder done--now the dock, to finish it." And Cally saw that round the edge of the floor she had left a blank space about a foot wide.

She said, "It's pretty."

"And useful," Ryan said a trifle grimly, but she did not explain what she meant."

She finishes the pattern with dock leaves, has Cally spread sand on the hearth, then draws on it with what sounds like a lump of turquoise. She declares it finished and says they're safe for a month. She fixes Cally some tea, and they chat. Ryan pretty quickly warns her that it's not safe to stay here long, and the Stonecutter will keep her there forever if he can, for "She who brought you here. She whose land this is." She asks about Cally and her family, who says her family is by the sea but she isn't sure now if they'd be there. Ryan tells her the sea links all worlds, then tells her to dump her tea outside the door and bring the cup back. Cally is baffled but obeys. Outside, she sees someone in a blue hooded cloak watching from the trees.

Then Ryan reads her tea leaves.

Seaward posted:

"Yes. Two gone and a travelling...and another traveller, to go by your side. A tower by the lake, a tower full of dreams and danger. And the sea, yes, and--now what is that--?"

She broke off, and looked up at Cally with a curious new expression on her small seamed face: A mixture of pleasure and surprise and a kind of wariness. She said, "Show me your hands."

Cally hesitated, then reluctantly held out her hands, palm upwards. "They're...not very pretty," she said.

Ryan gazed at the thickened, horny skin on each palm, tracing it with a forefinger. "Yes," she said softly, but it was not an answer. "Well, well...yes..." Her bright eyes flickered up to Cally's. "Did your mother sing?"

"Yes," said Cally in astonishment. "How did you know? She used to sing to me when--" She stopped, suddenly remembering the voice that had been like her mother's and yet not like.

Right on cue, the singing comes again, from outside. Cally turns to the door and sees Tanaris on the doorstep, ending the chapter.

So the Stonecutter is suspicious so far, and Ryan seems oddly clued-in and helpful. They didn't speak until the Stonecutter asked them a question and seemed very intent on chasing Cally down, even if they did seem abashed when called on it by the Stonecutter. Semicolon count is...I may have missed a couple, but I make it 17. And now we are past the part I'd read to when I was confirming this was the right book.

Chapter 6
Cally is surprised, and Ryan stands up and looks hostile. She declares that Tanaris may not come in.

Seaward posted:

"Oho," she said softly, looking down at the green-patterned floor. "Rhiannon, daughter of the Roane, you are not welcoming."

Ryan said, unmoving, "Nor shall I ever be."

"Not even for the sake of our Cally here?" The woman purposefully moved so that the sunlight fell on her, and Cally caught her breath. It was the lined pale face, blue-eyed, old yet ageless, of the woman who had come to take her father away.

Ryan said in warning, "It is the Lady Taranis. Do not listen to her."

"But I know her," Cally said. "She took my father away to a hospital, by the sea. And my mother, to be with him." She came forward eagerly. "Have you seen her? Is she all right?"

"Everything is all right," Taranis said, but she was looking past Cally, at Ryan, and there was a coldness in her blue eyes. She said sharply, "Do not hinder me. You have not the power."

"I have the power," Ryan said. "This is my house."

1) I KNEW IT.

2) Ryan is a drat boss. This is one cool old lady here.

Tanaris says it's here country and no one can leave it without her willing it. She tries to charm Cally, turning on what I assume in a glamour that makes her feel trustworthy. Cally wants to fall for it and go outside to her--Taranis says she'll take Cally to her parents by the sea--but Ryan tells Taranis that Cally might go that way but she'll go there herself. She holds Cally and tells her the test is if Taranis can enter the house or not--the patterning of the floor stops anyone who would do harm from crossing the threshold. She tells Cally to hold her hand out and make Taranis come to her.

Cally does, and Taranis gets angry and tries to come in and bounces off the plane of the threshhold like its glass. She gets pissed, backs off, and shouts for the Stonecutter. He comes with the People, a lot more of them than the two he was with, and she commands him to build a wall around the house. "Keep your Rhiannon inside it forever!"

Stonecutter says he's already on it and Taranis says she'll be back for Cally. She vanishes again. Stonecutter just comes in the door to ask if supper's ready. Surprisingly, Ryan seems fairly unfazed by the drama as well. At supper, Stonecutter grouses that it's no good angering Taranis, and that Ryan could have left any time before, if she'd been prepared to leave some things behind. The People have already made the wall--they've just lined themselves up in a square around the yard and when the evening casting shadows on them from the surrounding forest, they've merged into a single wall.

Cally asks to leave, Stonecutter says no, Taranis wants her to stay. Ryan tips her that she'll wake Cally at night to talk.

Cally wakes up on her own in the middle of the night, dithers a bit, and gets her resolution up to leave the house and flee that night. She gets dressed and then makes to edge by Stonecutter. The way the beds are arranged, she can only bare squeeze by him. She stumbles and kicks him as she tries to balance and finds his sleeping body is as hard as stone.

Seaward posted:

Ryan's voice said compassionately behind her, "Yes. I would have spared you that. He does not need the warmth of the sunshine to waken him, like the People, but from sundown to sunup he is stone, as they are."
Looking at her face in the moonlight, Cally realised she was not a very old woman at all, and that the network of lines had been put there by care, not by age.

She said, "Why?"

"The Lady Taranis is a jealous mistress," Ryan said wearily. "Once a long time ago he fell in love, and she was angry, and made sure that he would never sleep with his lover. And to take care of the days, she touched his heart with stone as well."

She looked sadly at Stonecutter.

Cally said, "Why do you stay?"

The sadness went out of Ryan's face, and left it empty. She said, "I came here because he had something of mine without which I can never be free. And he has shut it under stone as cold as his heart, and I cannot leave without it."

Ryan warns Cally not to travel under the moon--the moonlight is Taranis's and if you're not under a roof when the moon is up, she can make you do what she wants. During the sunlight, she can always be refused but there's no hope of it under moonlight. She agrees to sit with Cally and wait for the moon to set--it's a half-moon so it'll do that well before sunrise, and tells her a bit: Stonecutter's coldness keeps animals away, but if Cally gets past the wall and to somewhere where there are birds, if she calls on the birds in the name of Rhiannon of the Roane, they'll help her. She has one request for Cally, in return for her aid.

Seaward posted:

Ryan said, "And when you reach the sea, go to the rocks, and give a message to the one who will be waiting. Say: Do not despair. She will come."

"Who will be waiting?" Cally said.

"You will know, because he will know you. By your hands." Ryan stepped back from the door-frame and held out her hands, palm upwards. And on each palm Cally saw the same strange horny growth of skin that was on her mother's hands, and on her own.

Ah-ha! So Rhiannon is a selkie, too! And that means Stonecutter has her skin. Selkies are people who can turn into seals and live as them, but they have a sealskin that enables their transformation. If their skin is stolen from them, they'll do anything to get it back. It's an old story/fairy tale that someone sees a selkie, thinks they're hot, and steals their skin to coerce them into being their lover, hiding the skin from them to keep them around. Although here we see Taranis kept Stonecutter from getting any joy from his Ryan. Iiinteresting. Cally's basically wandered into someone else's fairy tale. I wonder if that'll be a theme here.

Anyway, Cally shinnies over the stone wall--the People can't move at night--and sets out. She travels through the woods until well into daylight, sees another two-faced statue but knows it's Taranis now and skirts it. She follows a river down to a lake. The lake has an island, the island has a surprisingly tall stone tower on it--but there's no bridge to the island. She sees a boy paddling a boat on the lake, sort of aiming for the island--you know who that is--and she gives a super-loud whistle her dad taught her to get his attention. It mentions her dad took a lot of joy in teaching her how to do some things boys learn how to do, and that she can also throw a knife and make a good cast with a fly rod.

Bet you knife throwing will come in handy later.

Westerly hears the whistle and aims his boat her way.

Right, I wanted to do four chapters at a time but these are longer than the ones before and I got stuff to do so I'll leave it there.

I didn't even try to count semicolons here, I'll amend that later.

Maxus fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 26, 2020

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I agree with you on it sounding like there's some fae type stuff going on.