Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bill and Ted's mini story arc with their wives is basically Groot in reverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

TrixRabbi posted:

Bill & Ted was always in on the joke, but the joke was never "this is dumb and we're above it." It was "this is dumb and that's beautiful." That's exactly what I got from Face the Music, down to the totally fun and joyous final concert sequence. It's funny and self aware without ever feeling self-conscious about itself or feeling the need to nudge the audience.

I wanna take this to just mention the opening song again, because I think this captures it pretty well. It's goofy and a joke, of course, but, especially to start, it's legitimately pretty decent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hand Knit posted:

I wanna take this to just mention the opening song again, because I think this captures it pretty well. It's goofy and a joke, of course, but, especially to start, it's legitimately pretty decent.

Yeah, and it kinda makes total sense. It comes off exactly as the kind of thing someone who has dealt with this burden for 25 years, and has learnt as much about music from everywhere around the world as they can. Incorporating things from other cultures *feels* like it should be the answer they were looking for when they realised traditional rock music wasn't 'it'.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I saw an interview with the director on Collider that was a post-watch one with spoilers, and they bring up that happening but don’t seem to make any allusion to Cudi actually being station, so perhaps just a reference. Altho maybe the writers will be like... no he totally is!

TrixRabbi posted:

Also, for people sad there was no Station -- Isn't the implication that Kid Cudi is Station? He yells "Station!" at the end.

Unless I'm completely misremembering something screaming STATION is just a thing in the Bill and Ted Universe. Like the Faith No More guy yells it out of nowhere at the beginning of Bogus Journey, before we see Station the alien. It's origin is apparently just a drunken punch-drunken typo:

https://twitter.com/ed_solomon/status/939570887765970944?s=20

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 31, 2020

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I assume station wasn't in this because Death likely returned station to heaven after Bogus Journey.

I am glad that the ending shows 'the planets align' like Rufus said they would in the epilogue of excellent adventure. This means that it causes extraterrestrial life to eventually contact earth in the B&T universe.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Drunkboxer posted:

Unless I'm completely misremembering something screaming STATION is just a thing in the Bill and Ted Universe. Like the Faith No More guy yells it out of nowhere at the beginning of Bogus Journey, before we see Station the alien. It's origin is apparently just a drunken punch-drunken typo:

Yeah the source of it is brought up in the re:view that RLM did the other day. It's just a silly thing they like to use, but I can see how the scene can be read as Cudi saying Station and the the rest of them saying Station as if they then realized, rather than just happily saying station.

I wish it caught on more.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bill and Ted In Space is basically the only way they could do a 4th movie at this rate.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This movie was pretty fun, but I kind of thought since the future Rufus prophecized hadn't come to pass they'd spend the movie hopping to alternate timelines where Bill and Ted were leading increasingly absurd lives, which seems like it would've been a more fun/expensive premise. But I like that this movie has a good emotional core.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
I thought Bill & Ted would end up as a couple in the movie to make up for their hateful past.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Mustached5thGrader posted:

I thought Bill & Ted would end up as a couple in the movie to make up for their hateful past.

I thought there might be a line or something where they're like "we used to say some way, way uncool words" or something but probably best they just ignore it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This won't be resolved until Vivid release Bill In Ted's eXXXcellent Adventure.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I know this movie had a tiny budget but I am really surprised they didn't visit their younger selves at any point, even for a brief moment during a montage.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

bill and ted's boner journey :effort:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mantis42 posted:

bill and ted's boner journey :effort:

It's nice when they plan for a sequel from the word go.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lurdiak posted:

I know this movie had a tiny budget but I am really surprised they didn't visit their younger selves at any point, even for a brief moment during a montage.

My only " wish they had more budget/time" nitpick with the movie is I wish that when people got lasered and died they got to still walk around as ghosts for a bit before going to hell just because them having desaturated versions of the clothing they were wearing while they died instead of a special effect in Bogus Journey is one of my favorite touches ever in any more.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The two times I was genuinely disappointed in the movie were CHEETOS and the hologram of Rufus. Call me old fashioned but that poo poo is deeply creepy and unsettling to me in a way that someone merely pretending to be Jimmy Hendrix or Louie Armstrong is not.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I thought digital Rufus was fine. It was repurposed footage, so it wasn't like it was crazy CGI stuff.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

I thought digital Rufus was fine. It was repurposed footage, so it wasn't like it was crazy CGI stuff.

Yeah I thought it was tasteful and respectful.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Ironically the song they play at the beginning which everybody hates was the best music in the film! So perhaps it's just that the universe has bad taste.

Rabelais D fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 1, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
drat I really enjoyed that. Id actually compare it to fury road in that sequels 30 years later that shouldn't have any chance of being good but are

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It would have been really funny if The Song Montage included Tenacious D and a demon.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012

Brock Samson posted:

Yeah, how did they go from washed up/squatters/convicts to actually having the song? I seem to have missed that.

I have a theory. It might be a long shot, but I think it kinda works: in the original timeline, Bill and Ted fail in their mission because they can't overcome hyperjacked Bill and Ted in prison, play the wrong song, and everything's screwed. But because Dennis shows up and distracts dickweed prisoner Bill and Ted, OG Bill and Ted go to the future when they meet the real version of their older selves because Dennis actually did fix the timeline and did have to kill them (i.e., Rufus' wife was also right about the prophecy). The princesses steal the time machine because they have to make sure Bill and Ted go to hell to save their daughters and the historically relevant set musicians that their boringly perfect daughters recruited for their dads' old man band rather than use the stolen song with the also-necessary Preson & Logan names on it (seriously, they obviously didn't write an improvised song. Why put the names of the producers on a track rather than anybody who performed any instrument at all on it or even just the most famous musicians associated with the track?) because that's what happened in the timeline where everything works and it's the only chance they have in the corrected timeline to steal the time machine, and also to bring their earlier selves to the concert because they know it reunites them. So. They have the song because they aren't the washed up/squatters/convicts at all, and that's actually the epilogue of the entire movie and how the real timeline's Bill and Ted die.

Or it's just me pulling an explanation out of my rear end for something the writers didn't really think too hard about. Either way!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The idea that the writer’s didn’t really think about something that they’ve been thinking about, writing, rewriting, and workshopping for probably close to a decade seems weird.

I think the problem is that TIME TRAVEL IS loving STUPID! Bill & Ted are literally the only good Time Travel stories because of how tongue in cheek they are the entire time. Real sci-fi time travel stories are the stupidest bullshit imaginable and impossible to write because there are too many methods for time travel and they all have their own rules and corner cases, etc etc.

The thing I like about these particular stories is that while normal time travel movies tend to require you to accept these rules or frameworks in order to enjoy the film, I think Bill & Ted succeeds precisely because it only makes sense until you start thinking about it which I believe to be by design.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

Rabelais D posted:

Ironically the song they play at the beginning which everybody hates was the best music in the film! So perhaps it's just that the universe has bad taste.

"Face the Music" is the song you hum in your head while you take a shower and feel good for a brief moment in time. It's Bill & Ted's Yub Nub (and that's good!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJwq1HQXAps

While "That Which Binds Us Through Time: The Chemical, Physical And Biological Nature Of Love" is the song you get baked to and watch holy mountain with the sound off to feel connected to the universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Y0UimrbyE

Man Ted's dad was a dick to cut this song off right before it was getting good. This song slaps.

G-III fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 1, 2020

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
For real. When I watched the trailers I thought "oh man, it's gonna be bad isn't it" and then I watched the actual movie and thought "not bad!"

(I meant that in regards to "That Which Binds Us Through Time: The Chemical, Physical And Biological Nature Of Love; An Exploration Of The Meaning Of Meaning, Part 1". I knew I would love the movie.)

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 1, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Forgot to mention, the last thing I expected to see in a bill and ted movie was a reference to a zdzislaw beksinski painting

(spoiling just in case)

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I did not like this.

Didn't hate it either, mind.

It just seemed really...nothing-y. The first two films moved along at a good clip, high rate of jokes, lots of energy, really good use of their time. The mall scene, for example, is four minutes long and is absolutely jammed with jokes and character moments. Whereas Face the Music just seemed like an hour of characters jogging from green screen to green screen, so they could say the next bit of exposition and then jog to the next green screen. The couple of times it picked up a bit that shite robot or Kristen bloody Schaal would appear to drag everything back to a plod.

I did laugh my arse off at the buckets on the heads, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/ikn1eg/im_ed_cowriter_of_bill_ted_face_the_music_and/

Confirms what most of us came to the conclusion of - budgetary constraints and COVID stopped the film being from exactly what they hoped to do. Also means there's not much on the cutting room floor, so no extended edition bluray or anything, maybe we'll get a few extended scenes.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Forgot to mention, the last thing I expected to see in a bill and ted movie was a reference to a zdzislaw beksinski painting

(spoiling just in case)

THANKS. I knew it looked familiar but I didn't know if it was him or a reference to Hieronymus Bosch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/ikn1eg/im_ed_cowriter_of_bill_ted_face_the_music_and/

Confirms what most of us came to the conclusion of - budgetary constraints and COVID stopped the film being from exactly what they hoped to do. Also means there's not much on the cutting room floor, so no extended edition bluray or anything, maybe we'll get a few extended scenes.

Honestly with the way Hollywood is, we're lucky they got to make this at all. The studio friendly idea would've been to reboot the franchise entirely with fresh young faces and make it less of a comedy and more of an action movie (because comedies don't make money anymore, which is definitely not because the big studio comedies have been poo poo for 15 years) and set up sequels, get some hack writer to do it and not involve the original creators at all. And thankfully we didn't get that.

quote:

we had a scene where the guys visited themselves at the circle k and did a scene with rufus and their young selves. couldn't make it work on the $$ we had and didn't wanna do a lame VFX w George. also a scene where they go back and essentially (accidentally) torture their 9 yr old selves. and a VH1 where are they now" style opening..

This all would've been great.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 2, 2020

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly with the way Hollywood is, we're lucky they got to make this at all. The studio friendly idea would've been to reboot the franchise entirely with fresh young faces and make it less of a comedy and more of an action movie (because comedies don't make money anymore, which is definitely not because the big studio comedies have been poo poo for 15 years) and set up sequels, get some hack writer to do it and not involve the original creators at all. And thankfully we didn't get that.

Studio friendly idea might have been a film about the daughters with Bill and Ted making minor cameos.

I agree we're are lucky this got made. Still surprised at how much I enjoyed this. At worst it's the second best Bill & Ted for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also feel like every big “comedy” film that generates buzz in the last 5 years have been extremely narrow, quirky comedies or dramadies like “Booksmart” and “Trainwreck”, basically Judd Appatow style comedies about “real people” who talk like someone is holding up a joke book to their face while they are speaking.

I genuinely wish we had stuff like on the level of goofiness and silliness of early 90’s Jim Carrey without all the problematic 90’s themes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it drives me mad how pure comedies have been pushed aside for family based dramas starring Mark Wahlberg. Some of those things can be fun (and I adored the aforementioned Booksmart) but what happened to just 90 minute films that were just joke joke joke. Good Boys from last year at least had that spirit.

I’ll even give that terrible Homes & Watson credit for at least just being a silly comedy. If only that thing had had a good script.

So yeah, on top of just really enjoying B&T, it’s glorious we have it at all. And you know with the plot being really 2020 without being forced, and Keanu still being a huge star, it’s bound to be them asking if Alex Winter was going to be up to task or not. Ha, he killed it.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
So, I ended up bawling my eyes out at the end of this movie. drat. Say what you want, but here was a story that's ultimately about our shared humanity and really lived in it and felt close to it and expressed it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

EL BROMANCE posted:

I appreciate all the very candid answers here, including addressing the recasting of the princesses, the extremely abrupt ending, and why Now You See Me 2 wasn't subtitled Now You Don't.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Blastedhellscape posted:

So, I ended up bawling my eyes out at the end of this movie. drat. Say what you want, but here was a story that's ultimately about our shared humanity and really lived in it and felt close to it and expressed it.

Same (well, I got misty... I've been too numb lately to really cry). It really reminded me that there was a whole world out there outside of America and all the poo poo we're going through here. This painful year seems like it's all there is, like every lovely thing that's happening is just it and it'll never be better, but you always think that when you're in the darkness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtHARpAIR8

e: But listening to that drat song is about to make me bawl. It really should've been the song, to bring it all full circle. gently caress, it's like a pressure relief valve, hearing that song makes me feel 10 again.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 2, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

King Vidiot posted:

e: But listening to that drat song is about to make me bawl. It really should've been the song, to bring it all full circle. gently caress, it's like a pressure relief valve, hearing that song makes me feel 10 again.

Anyone know (from commentaries or interviews perhaps?) how this song even came about? It was never released on an album or anything, and wasn't on any of the streaming services until super recently (probably due to it being used in Mr. Robot). Did they ask him to write it specifically for the movie, or did it somehow just get into the right hands. I've always thought it would be cool to find someone hear a song you wrote and wanted to use it as the example of what people in the future would consider to be music that united the entire universe. I think it's just a fantastic slice of future sounding 80s pop for sure, and crazy how overlooked it is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Same (well, I got misty... I've been too numb lately to really cry). It really reminded me that there was a whole world out there outside of America and all the poo poo we're going through here. This painful year seems like it's all there is, like every lovely thing that's happening is just it and it'll never be better, but you always think that when you're in the darkness.

I'm not much of a Kiss fan but I feel similarly emotional for this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybmEK64OkjA

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not much of a Kiss fan but I feel similarly emotional for this one

For sure, I find Kiss annoying for the most part but that song is just too perfect for that ending. It always gets me pumped when I hear it... for a dang Kiss song. Also it didn't occur to me when I was a kid, but that song isn't even meant to be the song they're playing, it's just non-diagetic music to play us out of the story.

Also has anybody else changed their opinion on which is the best Bill & Ted movie over the years? Bogus Journey was my first, my mom picked it up on VHS and I watched it at least a dozen times, and only watched Excellent Adventure a few times when it came on cable. But then somewhere along the way I just started liking the original more, and even during my recent rewatch I enjoyed it more than Bogus Journey. I have more nostalgia for Journey but I think Adventure is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bogus Journey will never be dethroned, it's so visually creative and has the better jokes. The first one is more of a hangout movie.