Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wait why is there a review embargo for a game that's been out for years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I wanted to play this like 2 years ago, but I don't have them consoles for this and developers were like "lol, never coming to PC", so I just watched like 5 hour youtube video with story. Now I wish I didn't and played it blind now instead :(

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If Far Cry Primal wasn't a thirty hour shrug pooped off a conveyor belt in a factory run by french-canadian rear end-grabbers, it would be like this game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

SirSamVimes posted:

Wait why is there a review embargo for a game that's been out for years?

We already know the game is good, it's mostly technical performance & settings we want to know about. They tend to be under embargo for all sorts of reasons

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kaincypher posted:

One of my absolute favs in the last few years with the exception of the boss fights, particularly in the DLC. I'm a savvy stealth hunter, don't drop a mecha dino in my lap and act like I'm the punk when it beats my rear end in this zero stealth circular arena.

surround that big bastard with traps and trips and THEN do the cauldron override.

*I'm a SaVvY StEaLtH HuNtEr"

*doesn't fight dirty*
*gets absolutely crushed*

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kaincypher posted:

then go full Assassin's Creed or even Dark Souls and give me some combat perks dammit. I need blocks, parries, perfect dodge, not giant metal T-Rex mows down idiot flesh person because that's kinda how physics works kinda BS.

Purple weapons are your combat perks.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Looking forward to playing this after finishing Death Stranding last night!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kaincypher posted:

then go full Assassin's Creed or even Dark Souls and give me some combat perks dammit. I need blocks, parries, perfect dodge, not giant metal T-Rex mows down idiot flesh person because that's kinda how physics works kinda BS.

I don’t know many hunters who capture their prey by charging at them with a knife and perfectly timing a parry against a bear claw.

wish i did though

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love this game. It is my fourth favourite of all time and I am most excited to play on PC because I will be able to aim far, far better than on PS4.

I will also get round to the DLC AND will probably complete more than 55% of the base game! :D

Anyone who has yet yo experience this I am so stoked for you and I hope you have a wild time!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I just can’t wait for people to get to the part where they start posting “the phrase”. This is one of if not the only game where I wish I could erase the story from my mind and play it again.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

This is one of my favorite games of all time, a top ten contender for sure. I may have played it through a dozen times, I like it so much.

I preordered it for PC and can't wait to play through it again on the 7th. That's how much I love this game. It's got great gameplay loops, simply gorgeous production, wonderful attention to detail, and one of the best backstories in the history of gaming. I've played enough games that I tend to know where these stories are going, and every time I thought I was getting ahead of it, the story threw me a curveball. God drat it, they took a ridiculous concept - a far future where primitive humans hunt and fight prehistoric robot creatures, and made it plausible.

And again, none of that would have mattered much if it wasn't really, really fun to play, as well. This is the full package. I can't recommend it enough.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I personally can't wait for mods. I want Aloy to take down Thomas the Thunderjaw, make the spear have 10x the range, rocket launchers and miniguns for no good reason, then fly around like Superman!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Lumpy posted:

I just can’t wait for people to get to the part where they start posting “the phrase”. This is one of if not the only game where I wish I could erase the story from my mind and play it again.

I played the game twice and don't know what you are referencing :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tabletops posted:

I played the game twice and don't know what you are referencing :(

It's not a phrase in the game, it was the thread title for the PS4 thread for a very long time.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Reviews coming out:

Metacritic: 85 (18 positive, 1 mixed) as of this post.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/horizon-zero-dawn-complete-edition

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/horizon-zero-dawn-complete-edition-for-pc

"The post-post-apocalyptic PlayStation 4 game gets an excellent, complete PC port" - 4/5, Editor's Choice

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/horizon-zero-dawn-pc

"This is the definitive way to experience Horizon Zero Dawn and the Frozen Wilds expansion if you’re in possession of a PC to take advantage of its highest settings."

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/08/05/horizon-zero-dawn-on-pc-comfortably-outperforms-ps4-in-this-brilliant-port/

"Horizon Zero Dawn on PC comfortably outperforms PS4 in this brilliant port"

No real surprises, basically everyone seems to agree it's a good port. It doesn't have ray tracing or DLSS, but as far as I know neither of those was ever hinted at in the first place.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 5, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Shame about the lack of DLSS, I know some were expecting it since Death Stranding had it and it's on the same engine.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shame about no DLSS 2.0! Hopefully it will get patched in at a later time. Overall though it seems to be a pretty competent port.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

IGN embarrasses itself with some of this gameplay. Holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqfRl6uBbdI

I love this game but I worry stuff like this turns some people off from playing it for their first time on PC

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

60fps is so smooth though :swoon: :pcgaming:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Scrotum Modem posted:

I love this game but I worry stuff like this turns some people off from playing it for their first time on PC

All the comments are dragging this dude for being a total scrub lmao.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
The IGN performance analysis seems to be bad news if you've got less than 8 CPU threads. Like me. :negative:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

The IGN performance analysis seems to be bad news if you've got less than 8 CPU threads. Like me. :negative:

I'm a little skeptical of what they did there. They're claiming a 5 GHz (!!!) 4 core is eating poo poo running at half of 1080p, which just seems... intensely stupid?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Scrotum Modem posted:

Have you never watched any of the Giant Bomb guys play games? They all loving suck.

A prereq for being a games journalist is to suck at both writing AND playing the actual stuff you review.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The performance was already questionable after the trailer showed an average of 60 FPS as proof the game ran well on the example setup.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

sean10mm posted:

I'm a little skeptical of what they did there. They're claiming a 5 GHz (!!!) 4 core is eating poo poo running at half of 1080p, which just seems... intensely stupid?

Developers probably didn't fully scale down from eight slow cores to four fast ones. It's incredibly complex programming by all the accounts I've read of the process

edit: apparently performance is pretty abysmal across the board, gamersyde had to drop resolution to 80% of 4k on a 2080ti to get it to run at 60 smoothly. That's... pretty bad.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 5, 2020

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

after death stranding made the engine sing that seems especially... lazy?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

If this thing won't run decently on an i5-6600k@4.4 & a GTX 1070 at 1080p60 what the actual gently caress?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It sounds like a patch came out as/right after embargo lifted so who knows what that effects.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

Just watched a bit of the Giant Bomb video, and it looked like it was running fine for them. Hopefully there will be a Digital Foundry video soon.

Edit: Further reading elsewhere makes me think it will probably take a few patches before this is in a state most people will be happy with.

Egadsman fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 5, 2020

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I know there is a lot of talk about what *not* to know before going into this game, but is there anything I should know? Just like stuff that makes the game more enjoyable?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

eonwe posted:

So I know there is a lot of talk about what *not* to know before going into this game, but is there anything I should know? Just like stuff that makes the game more enjoyable?

- Turn on Dynamic HUD.
- Put your first 3 skillpoints in Silent Strike, Whistle, and the tree that lets you knock more arrows + slow time.
- The slow time effect you get from the L1 crafting wheel can also be used when you're switching potions with the D-pad.
- Kill all the wildlife you encounter along the main path so that you'll always have enough skins to craft resource upgrades.
- The first time you encounter a merchant in any difficulty below Ultra Hard, they'll have a free sample pack for you with some crafting supplies inside.
- One of the very first available sidequests gives you a permanent 25% damage upgrade to the spear. There are almost no other quests like that in the game, so get it done early.
- Sell off any stack of machine hearts and lenses past 5, you'll never need more than that at any one time.
- Higher weapon tiers don't just give you more damage, but more elemental types, and it quickly becomes very important to have a well-balanced loadout.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

eonwe posted:

With maybe...two exceptions, new weapons are bought from merchants. Unless you want to save up shards for a higher quality weapon variant, don't be afraid to buy something new and try it out. Each weapon comes with its own tutorial sidequest: skippable but worth free exp if you beat it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

. Each weapon comes with its own tutorial sidequest: skippable but worth free exp if you beat it.

Also, if you buy a higher tiered weapon you get access to all the tutorials, so if you have enough money/scrap for a better version of something there's no reason to buy the lesser version. And you need to make a tutorial your active quest to complete it and gain xp.

Like one tier let's you freeze stuff and the next tier let's you shock stuff and freeze stuff. The tutorials will be "freeze three creature weak to freezing" "shock three creatures weak to shock" if you just do that during play there's no bonus, but if you make one of those your active quest you'll get xp for it when complete. Sadly you can only have one active quest at a time. But if you don't need the way markers normal quests advance just fine if they aren't active.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

exquisite tea posted:

- One of the very first available sidequests gives you a permanent 25% damage upgrade to the spear. There are almost no other quests like that in the game, so get it done early.

If you're an explorer and go off the beaten path it's pretty easy to miss this, so make sure you do this one before the point of no return in the tutorial area. Originally I thought this was permanently miss-able if you didn't do it before the tutorial area ended, but apparently the wiki says otherwise. You'll want this early though.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
The ropecaster is the solution to many of life's problems.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I put the before I play tips as one of the first things in the OP

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Horizon_Zero_Dawn

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Qmass posted:

after death stranding made the engine sing that seems especially... lazy?

Idk, Horizon (in most circumstances) does look more demanding

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ty folks, and sorry, I didn't notice the tips in the OP

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My install is now pre-loaded!

I will be playing on a 1440p screen with a 2070RTX :D Very excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Developers probably didn't fully scale down from eight slow cores to four fast ones. It's incredibly complex programming by all the accounts I've read of the process

edit: apparently performance is pretty abysmal across the board, gamersyde had to drop resolution to 80% of 4k on a 2080ti to get it to run at 60 smoothly. That's... pretty bad.

Interestingly, Death Stranding on the same engine as HZD runs great with just 4 core/4 threads and really only starts to choke on 2 core/4 thread (!!!), so there's really no reason HZD can't be made to run great on 4 core PCs.

https://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Death-Stranding-CPU-benchmarks.png

Maybe it's just pre day 1 patch jankiness?