Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sean10mm posted:

Interestingly, Death Stranding on the same engine as HZD runs great with just 4 core/4 threads and really only starts to choke on 2 core/4 thread (!!!), so there's really no reason HZD can't be made to run great on 4 core PCs.

Can you really say that with confidence? They're pretty different games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

eonwe posted:

So I know there is a lot of talk about what *not* to know before going into this game, but is there anything I should know? Just like stuff that makes the game more enjoyable?
Achievements aren't missable, so you can just do trophy hunting at your own pace and leisure without worrying. It's fairly straightforward to Plat (at least vanilla HZD).

Also plan on spending 80% of your playthrough in Photo Mode and save up HDD space accordingly.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Rinkles posted:

I mean, I didn't program the things, but it's not like one of them is a turn based strategy game or something. It's the same engine made to run on the same PS4 hardware.

But nobody will really know until the PC release comes out with the day 1 patch and updated drivers. And maybe not then if it needs more performance patches to reach whatever its "real" performance is supposed to be.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rinkles posted:

DS' visuals are far more desolate (for perfectly valid story reasons, it'd be weird if the world of DS was as vibrant as HZD) but I'm not sure foliage density, lighting, model complexity etc are the entire explanation. Kojima's team has squeezed every atom of performance out of their games for years so they probably just did it better.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

sean10mm posted:

Maybe it's just pre day 1 patch jankiness?

Death Stranding had some performance issues with certain rigs in the first days as well and they managed to sort it out quickly. It worked fine for me from the beginning but I'm running a TR1950x so that's probably not comparable to what most people are using.

Hopefully it's the same here, I've been waiting to play this game for years and it would be a bummer if this ended up being a bad port.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Didn't know this game had a cool story, with all the spoiler avoidance advice on the first page, I am definitely interested. Last game I saw with that kind of warning was Outer Wilds and that's one of the GOATs.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I love that such a compelling, memorable scifi narrative came from the base material of "open world game with robot dinosaurs and a chick with a bow" :allears:

However, I hate that the game is literally sitting on my drive encrypted and unplayable, so it all balances out :argh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

According to the ACG guy the game ran fine on his system at 1440p, it was only the 4k settings that had issues.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Any idea of a launch time? Wonder if we can VPN some laser raptors tomorrow.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

eonwe posted:

So I know there is a lot of talk about what *not* to know before going into this game, but is there anything I should know? Just like stuff that makes the game more enjoyable?

The one other thing I'd add to the mix is that at one point a character says something that absolutely sounds like you must be at the point of no return and about to do the final mission. This is not the point of no return, just the initiation of a series of main plot quests that might take a couple of hours to complete.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I built my computer with this in mind so, at last.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

there is probably a bunch of us who played it on PS4 watching this thread waiting for all the new folks to post their reactions to the big story beats so I for one am hoping y'all don't disappoint.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Khanstant posted:

Last game I saw with that kind of warning was Outer Wilds and that's one of the GOATs.

I liked the Outer Wilds a lot. This game's story is much better. (My opinion, of course.)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Reveilled posted:

The one other thing I'd add to the mix is that at one point a character says something that absolutely sounds like you must be at the point of no return and about to do the final mission. This is not the point of no return, just the initiation of a series of main plot quests that might take a couple of hours to complete.

sick ty

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Reveilled posted:

Yeah, seconded. If you're wondering if that's the case, the name of the quest you are on when this is said starts with the word "Deep".

There IS a point of no return considerably later in the game, but it will be very obvious and presented with an on-screen prompt.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Sooo is this unlocking at midnight nz? I'm tired of waiting :argh:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Sooo is this unlocking at midnight nz? I'm tired of waiting :argh:

I had assumed we'll get it saturday, when its friday in america.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Good news everyone, Nintendo announced that BotW PC version is coming out next Monday.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

The Lone Badger posted:

I had assumed we'll get it saturday, when its friday in america.

Nooooooooooooo I assumed the release date on Steam was localised :smith:

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Honestly why don't they just have a loving countdown to the release, do they lose money somehow by doing that? Being in the UK I never know it's gonna release NZ time or west coast US time.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I fuckin swear they used to have that on the store pages

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

exquisite tea posted:

According to the ACG guy the game ran fine on his system at 1440p, it was only the 4k settings that had issues.

Pretty choppy on my system at 1440P. Core i7-8700, RTX 2080 Super, 32 gigs of RAM and installed on a fast nVME SSD. This is before the day 1 patch and any nVidia driver updates, which weren't available earlier this week when I tried it and decided to wait for those because the experience wasn't great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Idk if it was a recording issue, but the ACG footage looked choppy to me.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Honestly why don't they just have a loving countdown to the release, do they lose money somehow by doing that? Being in the UK I never know it's gonna release NZ time or west coast US time.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I fuckin swear they used to have that on the store pages
yeah they still do for most games. I guess the publisher controls if there is a set time with a countdown or a nebulous "Planned Release Date". or they did until very recently...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Durante did a deep dive into the game's performance for IGN. Worth a read.

https://nordic.ign.com/feature/38589/horizon-zero-dawn-pc-port-analysis

More cores than four definitely do make a difference, as well. Turns out the drivers I'm running (released on the 9th of July) also have the Horizon support built in so welp.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
They released some notes along with the update that the pre-load is available. FYI:

Horizon Zero Dawn posted:

Initial Shader Compilation

In order to improve performance during play, we’ve implemented a one-time initial shader compilation before the game starts for the first time. This can take an average of 10-15 minutes for most systems to complete. Once it’s completed, you won’t have to do it again unless you make a significant hardware change or update your video drivers. We’re looking into ways to further optimize this process.

Known Issues
  • Anisotropic Filtering settings are not working. This is a high priority issue for us to resolve.
  • Some systems may experience a brief stutter during general world traversal, UI updates, quest updates, or camera swaps in cutscenes. This is a high priority issue for us to investigate.
  • Some animations are designed to only refresh at 30fps even if the game is running at a much higher frame rate. We are exploring how we can improve this with a future update.
Shader Compilation process does not properly verify remaining storage space on user PC and can result in crashes if the user’s storage drive is low on space (compilation process requires additional ~2GB storage space).

I rarely if ever pre-order or pre-load anything, and running a straight-from-late-2017 set-up of a 1700X, 1070ti, along with a 34" 21:9 monitor, so I fully anticipate having to do a lot of settings juggling to get steady 60 FPS.

Also how long does decrypting a pre-load on Steam usually take, anybody know?

FAUXTON posted:

there is probably a bunch of us who played it on PS4 watching this thread waiting for all the new folks to post their reactions to the big story beats so I for one am hoping y'all don't disappoint.

This will be me, for once I'll be completely blind. All I know is "robot dinosaurs" and that the game is very good.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I recorded some early gameplay so you can see the weird stuttering for yourself. Might actually be at least in part related to that "some animations are only playing at 30fps" thing, but not entirely.

The HD version is still processing so it won't look pretty for a while!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XboLr9iUGWo

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This game is almost one of the all time greats for me with the exception of two elements

1. the sidequests kinda suck, particualrly the reaction choices that dont affect much

2. the mantling mechanics where Aloy misses jumps that Lara Croft could have made in 1998.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Logan 5 posted:

They released some notes along with the update that the pre-load is available. FYI:

Jesus Christ that just makes them look inept. That's like "did you even test it at all?" dumb poo poo.

So far this port just looks sloppy as hell, and the positive initial reviews were probably just all on 10900k/2080Ti tier systems that could just power through it.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

I recorded some early gameplay so you can see the weird stuttering for yourself. Might actually be at least in part related to that "some animations are only playing at 30fps" thing, but not entirely.

The HD version is still processing so it won't look pretty for a while!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XboLr9iUGWo
Those facial animations are andromeda bad :O Though I was just playing death stranding which is pretty much as good as it gets.Maybe I'm being unfair.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Qmass posted:

Those facial animations are andromeda bad :O Though I was just playing death stranding which is pretty much as good as it gets.Maybe I'm being unfair.

Pretty sure it was dogged for facial animation when it came out on PS4 way back when.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Pretty sure it was dogged for facial animation when it came out on PS4 way back when.
It was definitely the biggest issue of the game at the time aside from inventory management. Game was so good that it wasn't a huge topic, but it was a pretty glaring thing. Doesn't help that the NPCs generally feel very NPC-like, too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

Pretty choppy on my system at 1440P. Core i7-8700, RTX 2080 Super, 32 gigs of RAM and installed on a fast nVME SSD. This is before the day 1 patch and any nVidia driver updates, which weren't available earlier this week when I tried it and decided to wait for those because the experience wasn't great.

Hmm this is me except I have a 3700x

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, though they get better farther in the game, and the DLC area has much, much better facial animation than anywhere in the base game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Jesus Christ that just makes them look inept. That's like "did you even test it at all?" dumb poo poo.

So far this port just looks sloppy as hell, and the positive initial reviews were probably just all on 10900k/2080Ti tier systems that could just power through it.

I think that's a bit harsh - the developers probably never considered a PC port to be in the running when they were creating HZD in the first place. I'm sure I'll still be quite annoyed with it when playing, but I'm willing to give a lot more day-one slack to the devs

(e) I bet you're right about the initial reviews though

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 6, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

sean10mm posted:

It was. The game progression kinda tracks with the developers' aptitudes at facial animation :v: I remember it being way better by the back-third.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

It was. The game progression kinda tracks with the developers' aptitudes at facial animation :v: I remember it being way better by the back-third.

This is Exquisite Tea's image, but I'm sure a lot of people took a similar one around this point.

There are definitely some valleys in the beginning and some peaks towards the end in facial animation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The facial animation isn't exactly top tier but I don't think it's like egregiously bad, either. Just kind of your standard action game fare outside of the boutique mocap studios like Naughty Dog and Ninja Theory.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah it just kinda looks rough in comparison because we've had some amazingly good looking games like Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us 2 recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

This is Exquisite Tea's image, but I'm sure a lot of people took a similar one around this point.

There are definitely some valleys in the beginning and some peaks towards the end in facial animation.

lmao i forgot that bit was so good. that little flinch