Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Then despite being full of too much resources at all times, I was somehow always low on Blaze. Would sometimes dump 100% of my shards into buying Blaze.

It might be too late to help you now, but for any others, you should never spend a shard on blaze. Fast travel to the campfire that is slightly northwest of the first hunting grounds, the one with the grazers. Sneak across the river and go nuts. I like to start it off by lighting up a blaze canister on two of them, which immediately takes out a bunch of the group. The others will scatter and you can spend the next few minutes finishing off the rest.

Also, after you've killed them, don't just harvest the blaze canisters as normal, shoot them off with harvest arrows. You get a free extra blaze with each downed grazer. If after that you still need blaze, fart around hunting game back on the other side of the river, you are completely safe and after a few minutes, a new group of grazers will have spawned at the hunting ground. This is also a good, low stress way to make some shards if you don't feel like picking on the two thunderjaws in the bowl valley. You will clear over 1000 shards per grazer herd this way, just swim back to the merchant by the fire and sell off the blaze you don't need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I understood they ultimately pushed it into the plan (which I think was a mistake and sloppy solution that wouldn't have lasted to project completion if they had a magical fantasy timeline of years and years to plan/design/build/test everything), but that doesn't shield me from hating him in any way, plus, it was his insights and work that led to HADES being able to usurp Gaia's control over terraforming systems. Someone else in that role might have failed at its goals, which might've turned out for the better, with hindsight. Best case scenario, he's the only one who was mentally equipped for the evil task set before him, and his love of humanity's nastiest art is an obvious reaction to a religious upbringing and nobody can help being born in the south -- however he is also a yella belly coward who only did the job set before him for a payment. Plus everyone else on the alpha team were cool people, the australian guy who opted for euthanasia, the art historian who knew this poo poo was unfair but also too important to stop and resist at the time, just everyone else ruled.

I also can't help but wonder how things would've gone if Sobek didn't give Faro and choice and just exposed him, at the very least, really sucked that he was given autonomy and any kind of role in the planning or administration of all this poo poo. He should've been the first person in the detention cells meant for people who can't handle the secret of enduring-freedom/zero dawn.

Also what was the timeline for signal deactivation? Really what I'm getting at is that the "total destruction" really left a lot of stuff standing or around. So it was just nice that the robot menace was really only focused on organic stuff and never bothered sorting out getting energy from inorganic matter.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Khanstant posted:

Also what was the timeline for signal deactivation? Really what I'm getting at is that the "total destruction" really left a lot of stuff standing or around. So it was just nice that the robot menace was really only focused on organic stuff and never bothered sorting out getting energy from inorganic matter.

It took about 40-50 years following Zero Day for Minerva to brute force the deactivation codes, at which point the only thing alive on Earth would be a handful of Elysium scientists living underground, if they even survived. The rest of the world would have been a sterile rock with a million dormant Faro bots in hibernation.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
it is an unfortunate choice to use the stereotyped southern accent for the rear end in a top hat reprobate, though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

It might be too late to help you now, but for any others, you should never spend a shard on blaze. Fast travel to the campfire that is slightly northwest of the first hunting grounds, the one with the grazers. Sneak across the river and go nuts. I like to start it off by lighting up a blaze canister on two of them, which immediately takes out a bunch of the group. The others will scatter and you can spend the next few minutes finishing off the rest.

Also, after you've killed them, don't just harvest the blaze canisters as normal, shoot them off with harvest arrows. You get a free extra blaze with each downed grazer. If after that you still need blaze, fart around hunting game back on the other side of the river, you are completely safe and after a few minutes, a new group of grazers will have spawned at the hunting ground. This is also a good, low stress way to make some shards if you don't feel like picking on the two thunderjaws in the bowl valley. You will clear over 1000 shards per grazer herd this way, just swim back to the merchant by the fire and sell off the blaze you don't need.

I definitely farmed the old fashioned way a few times, but literally once you have the DLC armour and weapons you have no need of money or merchants, I ended the game with dozens of treasure boxes I couldn't even open since I already had too much poo poo. I would be curious on the time of acquiring blaze via farming vs having to hold down a while it forever refuses to just give you a normal shop slider of how many you want.

I also assume my high blaze needs were for how often I'd just quickly end fights with some bomb spam, usually right after something knocks me down and I'm just done trying to pick off individual weakspots with bow, you get the sloppy death now.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Khanstant posted:

I definitely farmed the old fashioned way a few times, but literally once you have the DLC armour and weapons you have no need of money or merchants, I ended the game with dozens of treasure boxes I couldn't even open since I already had too much poo poo.

That goes back to what I and others have said here. If your inventory is perpetually full, you are keeping way too much stuff. And that's before you pick up the extra twenty slots from the Frozen Wilds.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That goes back to what I and others have said here. If your inventory is perpetually full, you are keeping way too much stuff. And that's before you pick up the extra twenty slots from the Frozen Wilds.
Excuse me, I might need those 1000 sparkers someday even if I'm rarely using shock ammo. :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I mean, the stuff I'm full of is stuff I'd use to make ammo and if I sold it I'd have more shards that I don't need and more room to pick up resources I was already full on before I traded them for worthless shards that I could use to buy the ammo materials I've been selling. It's just a weird game loop that didn't amount to much is all, the only resource I ever ran low on was blaze and that was presumably only because I heavily used bombs which required lots of blaze, whereas sniper bow basically required sticks n chits.

Unless you're saying I could've hoarded thousands of blaze in the spots my chillwater ocean was, in which case, nothing would've changed for me, I only thought to spend all my shards on blaze near the end.,

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Lord Hydronium posted:

Excuse me, I might need those 1000 sparkers someday even if I'm rarely using shock ammo. :colbert:

I hear you, it took years of rehab and therapy to get over my Horizon hoarding disorder. One slot at a time man, one slot at a time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I've played through the game like at least 7-8 times by now and my secret to fast inventory management is: Sell every robot part above one stack, sell all the gems/crystals from human enemies, keep maybe 2-3 stacks of blaze/sparker/chillwater, sort by rarity. Keep at least one stack of all non-vendor trash though so it doesn't get resorted.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Khanstant posted:

the only resource I ever ran low on was blaze and that was presumably only because I heavily used bombs which required lots of blaze

I thought I used a lot of blaze, I favor slings and explosive traps heavily, but you must be going serious Operation Rolling Thunder on the post-post-apocalypse if it's that much of an issue. I almost never have more than 90 slots full and after a typical sell-off, I'm usually down to 80. :shrug:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I always keep as much chillwater as I can because of the ice rail.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Someone else in that role might have failed at its goals, which might've turned out for the better, with hindsight.

The designers knew that Gaia wasn't perfect and there needed to be a way to reset which is why they included Hades. It's tough to apply hindsight to a known flaw in their plan, one that could have doomed the planet and race forever.

We don't even know if there was an unsuccessful cycle before this current one, do we? It's possible that Hades had done its job in the past.

E: wiki says given how current world seems ahead of schedule it's likely that Gaia succeeded first try. But that's not indicative of the need to have no fallback plans in case of failure.

Aside: Was it ever made clear how Hades was to go back to doing nothing once it reset the planet, giving Gaia control again? Hades was subordinate to Gaia, but had the ability to take control from Gaia - was it intrinsically part of Hades' design that it would hand over control once done, which seems unlikely to me, or was there some safeguard built in to guarantee this?

v1ld fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 3, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Wiki diving. So Sobek says "Think of them as extensions of GAIA's mind, each dedicated to a specific purpose. Now these aren't AIs" - she's speaking of all the subordinate functions, including Hades. And that's an in-game quote.

Wiki then extrapolates from there to "The signal activated HADES, and turned it and the other subordinate functions into highly advanced, very powerful A.I.s themselves" - that's a wiki author, not from the game itself.

That's a pretty powerful jump to make and one I'm not sure is supported by the game itself - That the signal did more than unshackle the subroutines and let them run free to do their job without supervision or Gaia's control. And that it elevated them to full AIs themselves.

I'd never considered how Gaia includes AI in its spelling until I played this game. Such a beautiful coincidence. Did John Gonzalez start with that and build everything else from that one coincidence of spelling?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I was totally fine for resources all game, regularly selling off whenever I had too many stacks of a resource, right up until the final battle, when I ran out of blaze like 10 minutes in. It SUCKED.

Anyway, HADES is a good idea. There's a million ways the terraforming project could go wrong; it could produce runaway global warming, or North America could be overrun by eucalypts, or the whole planet could be dominated by fungi to the point where all the plants are being outcompeted. Hell, it seems like the plot of the next game is in that vein. The biosphere's stability comes from its size and variety, and if you're starting the biosphere over from scratch, it's going to be unstable for the first couple centuries. Travis being a tedious prick is unrelated to his work.

edit: added spoiler tags

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 3, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
edit: spoiling whole post idk what counts as spoilers

To poo poo on Ted some more, his stupidity regarding Apollo should have applied also to a) the entire project and b) at the very least towards hades, forcing the world to reset unless it comes out according to human specifications, since Gaia gone wrong doesn't necessarily mean the planet is screwed for all life, even if it's screwed for human life. He's a dumbass trillionaire clearly not thinking straight or dealing well, so I get why he only focused on Apollo and also why nobody would be like "well dude, actually the whole thing is bad from that perspective," had they the chance.

As for the others, I can understand wanting to include Hades but I'm with Elisabet in that I would not have chosen to include it.

I'm also impressed by how much better of a post-apocalypse set-up they had, as well as post-apoc execution. Compared to Fallout 3-4 especially, everything here feels more thoughtful and relevant.

Just loaded game back up to talk to CYAN and catch up on stuff since last visit, really hope we meet all the AIs eventually and I doubly hope they're not all evilfied like HADES and HEPHAESTUS, DEMETER will be nice and chill, surely, probably only speaks in prose! Really love this world, hope they expand on it because I would also love to make a non-special person in some tribe and have an Elder Scrolls type adventure in this world. Though Aloy is a fantastic character and it'd be impossible to make such a great character with any blank slate type writing. Aloy was the perfect PC in this world, this is the first open world RPG like this that I have felt was written by someone who was actually involved in the game, there to see and comment and know what the player would see and comment on, as well as inhabit the role of Aloy and her character to believably add that perspective, which just as well functions as our incredulity to the bass-ackwards customs of some tribes or people.

Other random lingering questions I have: Did the space-colony-project really blow up, I think it's just wishful thinking on my part, didn't get a hint that the email saying it blew up was a ruse of any kind, but I suppose it's also open enough that idk, maybe some escape pod or they survived drifting out and tried to send something back ,idk, they were vague beyond antimatter containment failure and propulsion problem -- but it didn't leave the solar system either. Also why were they going for Sirius anyway, did they actually have a goldilocks planet discovered because, if not, why not go elsewhere in solar system. I remember something saying space colonies wouldn't be viable, but whatever the hell they were gonna do if they got to another system, could they not have done that within ours?

Did other Alphas have future clones set-up anywhere? I kind of assume at least Ted would without telling anyone, if not a full blown clone tribe. If we ever pop his vault, it's going to be hosed up in there.

He seems like he'd also try to jam his consciousness into a robot shell if he could, luckily he seems pretty useless on his own. I was really expecting to discover Sylens was a clone too, though could it also be that the first gen cradle humans were taken from alphas/betas/gammas, so Sylens could be a descendent... since everyone is? Genealogy will be interesting once tribes get into that, everyone will have some pretty clear starting points for ancestry just a few generations back, then jack poo poo before. Anyway, no way in hell the series ends with Aloy confronting whatever nu-Ted is called.

How much more terraforming would GAIA have wanted to do before releasing the humans, had things not gone sideways? Were machine-animals meant to ever be part of the new ecosystem, or were they to hibernate/dismantle once the ecosystem finally got itself self-sustaining to intended parameters? I know they couldn't get all the animals backed up and that seemed far less along in the process compared to flora which seemed to be pretty much good to go.

Were there any bugs or robo bugs? This game was missing an insect collection, but also felt like I didn't see any bugs around or bugbots. Given the machiney existence of insects, wouldn't expected more.

Lastly, did I miss something or were there no airborne faro death-bots? There were flying predacons, but didn't seem like they had a flying weapon to go along with their beefy mechwarrior and the little scorpiontail goons. I suppose everything organic that flies always comes to ground sooner or later, so no strict need for it, but drone-bombing seems wildly effective in terms of blowing poo poo up with 0% chance of retaliation. Obviously randomly getting blown to bits on any clear sunny day wouldn't make the videogame any better, but it does seem odd to not have that component. (for that matter, are these things seaworthy or could someone have tried a ridiculous sea-colony/rapture down in the abyss?)

Not having air-mechs might also help explain how the Faro plague was as relatively slow as it was. Then again, folks take down mechs using fairly primitive technology so modern-tech resistances probably fared a lot better against them.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 3, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'm pretty sure HADES was in the original specs Elisabet drew up. The kill key that Faro convinced Elisabet to add was embodied in the little device in the Alphas' meeting chamber that ended up being used against HADES.

What happened to the space colony mission was that (1) Elisabet claims that (2) telemetry showed a catastrophic failure (3) when they fired up the antimatter engines (4) trying to leave the solar system.

So we're at multiple layers of removal of actual knowledge of what happened to the colony mission.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There are a bunch of reasons why a shadowy cabal of billionaire financiers would have falsified telemetry data to gently caress off from Earth, even outside of wilder explanations like Vast Silver getting onboard.

Anyway, look at the 3 meteors falling back to earth in the Forbidden West trailer and compare it to the Odyssey ancient vessel logo. :eyepop:

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 3, 2021

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Travis Tate should have been from New Jersey and been covered in gold chains and bling. Team needed a classic wise-guy type to crack some knees and it wasn't the southern Tate.

exquisite tea posted:

There are a bunch of reasons why a shadowy cabal of billionaire financiers would have falsified telemetry data to gently caress off from Earth, even outside of wilder explanations like Vast Silver getting onboard.

Anyway, look at the 3 meteors falling back to earth in the Forbidden West trailer and compare it to the Odyssey ancient vessel logo. :eyepop:

It's Tiberium! Kane lives in death!

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Khanstant posted:

Did other Alphas have future clones set-up anywhere? I kind of assume at least Ted would without telling anyone, if not a full blown clone tribe. If we ever pop his vault, it's going to be hosed up in there.

He seems like he'd also try to jam his consciousness into a robot shell if he could, luckily he seems pretty useless on his own. I was really expecting to discover Sylens was a clone too, though could it also be that the first gen cradle humans were taken from alphas/betas/gammas, so Sylens could be a descendent... since everyone is? Genealogy will be interesting once tribes get into that, everyone will have some pretty clear starting points for ancestry just a few generations back, then jack poo poo before. Anyway, no way in hell the series ends with Aloy confronting whatever nu-Ted is called.

How much more terraforming would GAIA have wanted to do before releasing the humans, had things not gone sideways? Were machine-animals meant to ever be part of the new ecosystem, or were they to hibernate/dismantle once the ecosystem finally got itself self-sustaining to intended parameters? I know they couldn't get all the animals backed up and that seemed far less along in the process compared to flora which seemed to be pretty much good to go.

Lastly, did I miss something or were there no airborne faro death-bots? There were flying predacons, but didn't seem like they had a flying weapon to go along with their beefy mechwarrior and the little scorpiontail goons. I suppose everything organic that flies always comes to ground sooner or later, so no strict need for it, but drone-bombing seems wildly effective in terms of blowing poo poo up with 0% chance of retaliation. Obviously randomly getting blown to bits on any clear sunny day wouldn't make the videogame any better, but it does seem odd to not have that component. (for that matter, are these things seaworthy or could someone have tried a ridiculous sea-colony/rapture down in the abyss?)

Not having air-mechs might also help explain how the Faro plague was as relatively slow as it was. Then again, folks take down mechs using fairly primitive technology so modern-tech resistances probably fared a lot better against them.

I guess just to keep with things I'll spoil this all too. Has to do with the Alphas, potential clones, and info on the whole Chariot series of drones for the sake of anyone unsure about checking it.

There was Project Lighthouse where they would have been able to gestate, then raise, clones of themselves to keep the GAIA Project running and up to date as long as possible. After Project Lighthouse was dropped the plan was that they were all going to go to Elysium and work remotely until they died but they ran out of time and it's only due to the Lighthouse project/protocol/whatever that they had the living spaces to stay inside sealed up with GAIA when everything fell apart a bit earlier than they'd wanted and they couldn't evacuate. There's no saying specifically that the early humans brought back were based on the Alphas/Betas/Gammas, but there at least had their genetics around due to Lighthouse which is how we got the Elezebet clone. I think this thread has joked plenty of times about Ted being enough of an egotist to think he should be around forever and do cloning, to the point of suggesting his Thebes shelter is some sort of Gary-Vault style clusterfuck of crazy Ted Faro clones.

As for the Chariot series, only the three are mentioned and there's no particular reason to assume there's an airborne variant that we haven't seen at all since we went to Faro Robots HQ and they didn't feel the need to mention one in the sales materials. They are sea worthy, also. They had to get to North and South America somehow, after all. There's logs making reference to them starting in the Pacific, "eating" a dolphin, making it into Asia, across Asia and into Africa, then crossing over from Africa to South America and across to the Atlantic and Pacific shores of the US, coming out of the water in various places.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Tate has the right voice for his character. Can you imagine some kind of gruff New Yorker delivering those lines? It would be intolerable. There are a lot of themes in the game of spirituality and gods, or God, coming into and going out of machines. A nice thick drawl for a sinner like Tate (and make no mistake, he’s not a nonbeliever or even an evil guy but he is, 100%, a sinner) is just right. He’s a broad character but that’s what you need for someone who’s so important but only at the edge of the story.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Tate has the right voice for his character. Can you imagine some kind of gruff New Yorker delivering those lines? It would be intolerable. There are a lot of themes in the game of spirituality and gods, or God, coming into and going out of machines. A nice thick drawl for a sinner like Tate (and make no mistake, he’s not a nonbeliever or even an evil guy but he is, 100%, a sinner) is just right. He’s a broad character but that’s what you need for someone who’s so important but only at the edge of the story.

I don't recall them ever throwing up a real visible picture of Tate but I reflexively assume he looks like ray gillette

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Not those specific ones since they have a lot of Southern specific analogies and metaphors, but yeah I can imagine roughly the same character if they came from a deeply Catholic Italian-American family.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Forbidden West main antagonist is just travis tate holograms doing karaoke while you smash things looking for the power switch like the elvis scene in blade runner

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

eeeeyyyy whose bringin' da gaia gool over heah

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

exquisite tea posted:

eeeeyyyy whose bringin' da gaia gool over heah

deeply italian sylens when

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Admiral Ray posted:

Not those specific ones since they have a lot of Southern specific analogies and metaphors, but yeah I can imagine roughly the same character if they came from a deeply Catholic Italian-American family.

Nah that changes the cultural/religious context too much for the character and the stuff about Hades. With a Catholic, you get someone like that to chew scenery about guilt like in just about any version of marvel’s Daredevil. This is about sin. You need a little more hypocritical self-righteousness that’s well associated with a southern style of Christianity. That way Tate, who is the exact opposite of hypocritical and self-righteous, subverts the expectations. If you put a NY Italian, Boston Irish, Chicago Polish type Catholic character in there it comes out all wrong. You need the association with fire and brimstone that only a genteel southern accent can truly provide.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The Tate character has a family background in evangelical Christianity, sure, but that's a side story that's less related to the game's themes. The game itself is much more thematically modeled on the Greek pantheon with Aloy's most direct analog being Heracles.

I'm not saying that this is what you're implying, you could be just talking about Tate. But it's funny that I do find that it's really easy for people who grew up in xtian environments to see parallels in popular entertainment - especially since they are so common. But this game is different. Here, Aloy isn't Jesus. She's the mortal daughter of the gods, sent to challenge them and to be the defender of humanity broadly, but also a pain in the rear end to many. She's out there killin' bandits with the best of 'em, not trying to be their savior.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
“In you, all things are possible, Aloy” - something God says to her virgin-born child before sending her on a mission to save an imperfect world and conquer death itself.

the same God expels a morally immature humankind from its protective busom, where it rapidly descends into horror

Aloy expresses impatience with the superstitious paganism of the Nora (and others) and seeks (and finds) the truth that there is one God. The Nora try to worship her as god which she angrily rejects!!

there are very, very Christian themes all over this game. The Greek stuff is superficial. There’s some interesting stuff going on with pop shamanism but it’s more sidelined.

E:: the loving pivotal story beat where they reveal the truth of the world is “The Good News” come on!!!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 16, 2021

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

“In you, all things are possible, Aloy” - something God says to her virgin-born child before sending her on a mission to save an imperfect world and conquer death itself.

I do admit that this line is the best challenge to my premise, but I still think my interpretation makes more overall sense than the Christian one. I really don't think it makes sense to say that the greek stuff is "superficial" - practically everything named in the game comes from Greek or Egyptian mythology. I personally think the superficial argument is much more applicable to Christianity.

quote:

E:: the loving pivotal story beat where they reveal the truth of the world is “The Good News” come on!!!

Which is also after "The Bad News." And "The Good News" is - everyone is gonna die, but life will live on - not "hey, you're all going to live in machine bodies" or whatever a comparable afterlife story because 'you believed' might be.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 16, 2021

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
Finally finished this game after buying it on PS4 at launch and playing through 1/4 of it and then rebuying it on PC recently. Game is great, especially the story/lore around project zero dawn and the ancient world. Is there some place to read a timeline/chronological telling of the ancient world backstory? I feel like I might have missed some stuff based on what people are talking about in the thread.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

there are very, very Christian themes all over this game. The Greek stuff is superficial. There’s some interesting stuff going on with pop shamanism but it’s more sidelined.

Everyone talks about Aloy's Jesus symbolism. I want to talk about about Ted Faro's Antichrist symbolism

-Almost everyone in the Old World had to wear his symbol to purchase goods

-He was born in a city of spiritual importance before leaving to gain wealth and power in a city of secular importance

-He made things green that were once barren

-Just before the apocalypse he hosted a gathering of religious authorities to recognize his greatness (This is a Data-Log in the FAS building, you might miss it)

-Everyone in-game thinks he's dead now but will most likely emerge from a Cryo-tube in the sequel. Surviving a near-death experience is supposed to be the last warning sign.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

sdr782 posted:

Finally finished this game after buying it on PS4 at launch and playing through 1/4 of it and then rebuying it on PC recently. Game is great, especially the story/lore around project zero dawn and the ancient world. Is there some place to read a timeline/chronological telling of the ancient world backstory? I feel like I might have missed some stuff based on what people are talking about in the thread.

There’s a youtube channel called Random Side Quest that does deep dives into every aspect of the Horizon lore.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"I come not to bring peace, but a bow." :getin:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

While both interpretations work, I really like Aloy as Heracles. It’s fun in a cheesy way. Needs a bigger pantheon of AI gods, which the writers definitely left space for.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I see this thing is on sale. Is the PC port mostly fixed? Is there still 30 minutes of optimizing before each start or something? Does it crash a lot? I don't really give a crap about "playing it for story" (I watched it on youtube when devs where like "never on PC, forget it") if it is unstable or has massive performance issues. I would rather play something that works then something which is awesome, but also crashes a lot

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The problems with the PC port were fixed months ago and now it's really solid, pretty remarkable turnaround. It still optimizes shaders whenever you install it for the first time or make a hardware change, but you can let it do its thing in the background for 5min or just skip ahead if that really bothers you. I'd recommend just letting it run once since it does make load times near-instant.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

exquisite tea posted:

The problems with the PC port were fixed months ago and now it's really solid, pretty remarkable turnaround. It still optimizes shaders whenever you install it for the first time or make a hardware change, but you can let it do its thing in the background for 5min or just skip ahead if that really bothers you. I'd recommend just letting it run once since it does make load times near-instant.

Great, thanks! :shepspends: Next up: find few interrupted hours to play it!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

Everyone talks about Aloy's Jesus symbolism. I want to talk about about Ted Faro's Antichrist symbolism

-Almost everyone in the Old World had to wear his symbol to purchase goods

-He was born in a city of spiritual importance before leaving to gain wealth and power in a city of secular importance

-He made things green that were once barren

-Just before the apocalypse he hosted a gathering of religious authorities to recognize his greatness (This is a Data-Log in the FAS building, you might miss it)

-Everyone in-game thinks he's dead now but will most likely emerge from a Cryo-tube in the sequel. Surviving a near-death experience is supposed to be the last warning sign.

Hell yeah!!

Here’s a character I wonder if we will ever hear from again: little Isaac, who had the shittiest birthday possibly of anyone ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Guerrilla posted:

Hello all,

We’re happy to announce we’ve just released Patch 1.11 for our PC players. Here’s what this patch contains:

Graphical Improvements

Added Nvidia’s DLSS upscaling technology.

Added AMD’s FidelityFX Super Resolution, replacing FidelityFX CAS.

UI Changes

Adjusted settings screen to facilitate the addition of DLSS and FSR.

Render Scale option has been removed but same result can now be accomplished by adjusting setting Upscale Method to Simple and adjusting Upscale Quality.

Performance Improvements

Improvement to the shader management system. This will result in a few noticeable differences:

There is no longer a shader pre-compilation step on startup. The game will always compile shaders during loading and in the background.

Stutters during gameplay that used to occur due to background shader compilation have now been significantly reduced.

Because shader compilation is still happening in the background you may notice the game having a higher CPU utilization while that is happening.

Loading screens will wait for the required shaders to be fully compiled. This may cause loading screens to take somewhat longer on certain systems.

On higher spec machines with faster CPUs the loading screens will typically be shorter, due to more efficient shader compilation that better leverages high-end CPUs.

Please ensure your game is up-to-date before heading back out into the wilds, and reach out to us if you’re still experiencing any issues. We appreciate all of your wonderful support and feedback; we wish you a fun-filled festive period!

- Guerrilla

DLSS for Horizon! And no more shader compilation on hardware changes.