Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Jeez, it's a big patch, too, at 3.6 GB.

I finally got into this game and holy poo poo it's great. I think I'm maybe halfway to 2/3 done the main questline (going to Sunfall next) and it's just fantastic. Between this and Control it's been a good year for me catching up on awesome games from a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The DLSS implementation here is quite nice, a bit softer than Fidelity FX but unlike AMD's solution you don't see any overly sharp textures with grass or hair. I'm able to get between 80-90fps on Ultimate Quality upscaling the game to 4k and 120-144fps at native 1440p. Good patch!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Picked this up during the pre-Thanksgiving Steam sale, and I think this is the first game that actually scared me a little. When you get the first exposition dump, and you find out that every living thing on the planet is essentially going to be turned into diesel fuel by a horde of machines, and there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to stop it, and the entire earth will be rendered a lifeless ball of rock in 15 months -- maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but I felt a sense of dread and horror that I have never gotten from a game before.

Also, I *knew* Ted was going to do something stupid when I found the log where the one alpha says, "What can he do to us?". I actually said out loud, "Ted, if you gently caress this up...".

And then he hosed it up.

So, in conclusion, gently caress Ted Faro.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Seriously, gently caress Ted Faro. He is equal parts pathetic shitstain and egotistical monomaniac, the only reason he isn't a sad loser sucking on a bottle of booze is Sobek.

There is an argument that she is equally responsible for what happens because her genius put the levers of destruction in the hands of a man with the moral compass of a toddler, twice.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Collateral posted:

There is an argument that she is equally responsible for what happens because her genius put the levers of destruction in the hands of a man with the moral compass of a toddler, twice.

I believe this is the Animal House, "You hosed up, you trusted me," defense.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Collateral posted:

The first time, she was young, just out of school, and oh yeah, ended up playing a huge part in keeping humanity from dying out.

The second time, she couldn't even do that. Her only option was to literally save the world to a backup server and build a computer capable of restarting it. She had no other option besides Faro. Damned if you do, sure, but drastically more damned if you don't.

gently caress Ted Faro. Even with his meddling...it still mostly worked. Sobek did good.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Just finished the main story. gently caress you, Ted. I hope we get to go to his pyramid so we can dig up his corpse and skull-gently caress it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I bought this game with Steam blood money for Christmas, and wow, I was not expecting something with this much quality. The game does so many things right that I keep getting impressed with it, 50 hours in. The combat is really fun.

This game sat in my wishlist for way too long.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Albino Squirrel posted:

Just finished the main story. gently caress you, Ted. I hope we get to go to his pyramid so we can dig up his corpse and skull-gently caress it.

They're gonna make everyone wait until 2027 to buy Horizon Far Zenith: Super Deluxe Thebes Skullfuck Edition for the opportunity.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

They're gonna make everyone wait until 2027 to buy Horizon Far Zenith: Super Deluxe Thebes Skullfuck Edition for the opportunity.

Is the pre-order up yet?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Without spoiling too much, when are you given the ability to modify your spear? Is it a main quest or a side quest?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
*edit nm

isk fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 7, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Node posted:

Without spoiling too much, when are you given the ability to modify your spear? Is it a main quest or a side quest?

Side quest in the DLC area.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The DLC is better the earlier you do it. The story and characters are also some of the most enjoyable in the game imo. One of my big wishlist items for the sequel is to be able to somehow check up on or in with a certain DLC character. Not too improbable I don't think.

I also hope we get to choose if Aloy sides with the resurrected Tedd Pharoah. I know a lot of people hate on Ted Faro and I'm not saying he didn't make any mistakes but he's a really hard-working guy who did a lot more than any of us did to save the world and without him there wouldn't even be a game. Maybe it's time we thank Ted Faro

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Be warned that the DLC is quite hard, and there is a difficult robot that will attack you as soon as you enter. You might have to do some running away.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hard but also a good opportunity to use resources and tools you might not have to otherwise and the rewards are also bigger jumps in power. At the start you're terrified of the mean ol pooh bear, but near the end you're like "sure, why not fight 2 at once."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Khanstant posted:

The DLC is better the earlier you do it. The story and characters are also some of the most enjoyable in the game imo. One of my big wishlist items for the sequel is to be able to somehow check up on or in with a certain DLC character. Not too improbable I don't think.

I also hope we get to choose if Aloy sides with the resurrected Tedd Pharoah. I know a lot of people hate on Ted Faro and I'm not saying he didn't make any mistakes but he's a really hard-working guy who did a lot more than any of us did to save the world and without him there wouldn't even be a game. Maybe it's time we thank Ted Faro

What the loving gently caress?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I personally found the main game being pretty easy once I was done with DLC. It is probably combination of getting more power and getting used to fighting much tougher robots. I'm pretty happy with doing it later in game.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Albino Squirrel posted:

I hope we get to go to his pyramid so we can dig up his corpse and skull-gently caress it.

That's the the plot of the VR game.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just started an Ultra-Hard fresh run (not NG+) and I'm sorely tempted to get the Power Armour early. Because these bots do not gently caress around, I nearly died on that first sawtooth fight Rost sends you on, and that was after farming up so I had 40 arrows, 8 tripcaster ammo and some extra potion slots.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ted Faro definitely owned the libs exactly as promised.

Ted Delivers, sleepy Liz Sobek dithers

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cactus posted:

Just started an Ultra-Hard fresh run (not NG+) and I'm sorely tempted to get the Power Armour early. Because these bots do not gently caress around, I nearly died on that first sawtooth fight Rost sends you on, and that was after farming up so I had 40 arrows, 8 tripcaster ammo and some extra potion slots.

Honestly on Ultra-Hard I barely use the power armor any more. By the time you're good enough for its "stops one big hit, and then you're basically naked" mechanics to be good, you can just avoid getting hit altogether. Better to get 40-60% (or I guess 72%, because apparently the UI cap on resists is a lie?) resistance to melee or ranged + the appropriate element for whatever you're fighting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The power armor is super weak on UH, no native resistances and machine swipes will break it in one hit. Better to get Carja Silks early and prioritize melee resistance since that’s the biggest OHK threat.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

drat, looks like I'm just going to have to suck it up and die a lot in the early game then. I don't know how to do anything other than run away at the moment if I alert a group, because none of them run away. Instead they all pile on and wreck me, so I've prioritised stealth and I'm playing it like a Metal Gear game. It does feel much better playing this game when the world is truly dangerous to travel around, and fighting against groups of hulking aggressive machines that weigh many tonnes with a bow and arrow goes about how you'd expect it would... Plus playing on Ultra settings as opposed to when it released and I was still using a 970 is a treat. I just have to beat it before Forbidden West comes out in a month.

And yeah, Ted Farro did nothing wrong. Life is a blight.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Cactus posted:

And yeah, Ted Farro did nothing wrong. Life is a blight.

wow, so edgy :rolleyes:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Gotta disagree about the power armour, despite its lack of resistances etc the shield made UH an absolute breeze.

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 14, 2022

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

ashpanash posted:

wow, so edgy :rolleyes:

An exhausting response to an obviously totally serious post. You must be a fun one to banter with.

So for UH how should I prioritise skills? I didn't have to think about it in the base game because it didn't really matter but now it does. I already have lure, harder to detect, time slows when I jump, and double med pouch so far. I'm thinking beelining triple arrow, then all the foraging stuff to cut down on grinding plus tinker so I'm not wasting traps/resources. Is there anything else I need to consider? Certain fights that occur in the plot by which it's essential to have X skill for?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

On a fresh UH save I always put my first 3 points in Silent Strike, the Concentration/Triple Arrow tree, and the extra resource gathering perk. Maxing out your arrow abilities is most important, but the extra resource + crafting perks are the second most so that you don’t get starved for materials along your UH run and have more junk to sell. Finding all the vantage points and clearing bandit camps early on are ideal since they tend to be good sources of income. Wire is always my #1 resource bottleneck since sharpshot bows and the tripcaster are so useful in a fresh UH run.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah those were my thoughts and after all that I'm thinking the override skills, but I have to be able to actually do the cauldrons before those become useful, so farming up some decent armour and weapons will be my first priority after getting to Meridian. I'm dreading the hunter lodge trials, but I'm gonna have to not pass on them this time around cos I'll need the XP and the gear.

I just did the proving this morning and died a few times. Even with slo-mo I keep fudging the headshots. I hardly ever used the jump slo-mo skill in my first run cos I didn't need to but it's absolutely vital now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Hunter's Lodge trials are honestly not that bad. By the time you reach the first one you should already have enough shards to buy either a tripcaster or a sharpshot bow, which will easily let you beat the first 2/3 trials, and the other quests in the area will get you the other weapon. There are a bunch of vantages/bandit camps in the Sacred Lands and the two big resource crates you get from bringing the first two power cells into the shieldweaver bunker that all give out a lot of resources. The second Hunter's Lodge arena is super easy to beat with a Carja Sling, and you'll be able to afford a Ropecaster by the time you reach the 3rd. The hardest normal trial on a fresh UH save is Thunderjaw vs. Ravager since you'll need to have maxed out the override skill, have already completed the associated cauldron, and even then it's total RNG whether or not the Thunderjaw actually decides to kill the Ravagers in time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Are there any good mods for making the game harder that aren't just math tweaks? I found one to completely disable slow motion, which honestly might be enough for now, but I'm curious if there's anything else along those lines that might help make the game "fresh" again for a while.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I almost gave up on my UH run but last night I knuckled down and got a bunch of quests done, and I'm back into it now. Game really needs TLou2-style granular difficulty settings; I'd keep everything on UH except loot/shop prices because that is the only thing dragging down the experience. It takes so long to save up for the weapons and armour I need and the grinding just ruins the pacing of the game.

In other news, man, February can't come soon enough. IGN just dropped a first-look at FW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxyWcRq_jnY&t=244s (I put a timestamp on Aloy looking regal in a chiq new outfit for those that might want to see that and nothing else - don't have time to capture the gif cos going to work soon)

I know, I know, IGN is just a marketing outlet for studios that can afford it, but it still has new footage that looks really cool, and some dev commentry I've not seen yet so I'm assuming it's also new.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I have made a Forbidden West thread for anybody else hopping on the hype train!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I have made a Forbidden West thread for anybody else hopping on the hype train!

Nice, bookmarked.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
If they at some point 3 years from now they decide to port it to PC, please also write here!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

commando in tophat posted:

If they at some point 3 years from now they decide to port it to PC, please also write here!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Thought I'd post some screens I took along the way because why not

edit: I mean holy loving poo poo what a gorgeous game. The artists that worked on this deserve every accolade.

Just got this one, that motherfucking corrupted zone. It took a few tries.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 7, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I don't remember mine looking that good, what are you playing it on?

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

These are all very pretty, but the sun phasing through the mountain to reflect on the water made me laugh.

How long before Forbidden West on PC? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
End-end-game thoughts:

-I hate timed challenges in general, and especially in games that incentivize stealth, so I held off on doing the hunting lodges beyond getting bronze medals until the very end of the game. They're much, much easier to do when you're level 60 and have fully upgraded equipment!

-In the valley that leads to the Banuk territory, there's a large westward extension with lakes and forests and snowfields. It's completely empty except for a few Lancehorns and Glinthawks - not even a flavour text file. Am I missing something or is it just some place the devs didn't add anything to?

-APOLLO: one of the e-mails form Samina Ebadji talks extensively about encoding the APOLLO data in artificial DNA. This would lend itself to preservation as a physical artifact, or even, if you wanted to get handwavy, encoded in the junk DNA of one of the organisms running around currently. Maybe even humans! Either way, this would be insulated from any remotely executed deletion or interference with the APOLLO files, such as what happened with Ted.

It may amount to nothing, but I think it's smart of the writers to include little bread crumbs like this that can be expanded into future plot lines throughout the series.

I regret that I'm going to have to wait several years to play Forbidden West on PC.