Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hear they upgraded the facial-animations at the time of DLC. Are there still unintentionally funny moments?

I don't know if they're redoing any of them for PC, but they didn't do anything to the base game facial animations with the release of the DLC, just that the new dialog in the DLC area is much better animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Stealth is the refuge of the weak.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kaincypher posted:

then go full Assassin's Creed or even Dark Souls and give me some combat perks dammit. I need blocks, parries, perfect dodge, not giant metal T-Rex mows down idiot flesh person because that's kinda how physics works kinda BS.

Purple weapons are your combat perks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tabletops posted:

I played the game twice and don't know what you are referencing :(

It's not a phrase in the game, it was the thread title for the PS4 thread for a very long time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

. Each weapon comes with its own tutorial sidequest: skippable but worth free exp if you beat it.

Also, if you buy a higher tiered weapon you get access to all the tutorials, so if you have enough money/scrap for a better version of something there's no reason to buy the lesser version. And you need to make a tutorial your active quest to complete it and gain xp.

Like one tier let's you freeze stuff and the next tier let's you shock stuff and freeze stuff. The tutorials will be "freeze three creature weak to freezing" "shock three creatures weak to shock" if you just do that during play there's no bonus, but if you make one of those your active quest you'll get xp for it when complete. Sadly you can only have one active quest at a time. But if you don't need the way markers normal quests advance just fine if they aren't active.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Pretty sure it was dogged for facial animation when it came out on PS4 way back when.

Yeah, though they get better farther in the game, and the DLC area has much, much better facial animation than anywhere in the base game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

This is Exquisite Tea's image, but I'm sure a lot of people took a similar one around this point.

There are definitely some valleys in the beginning and some peaks towards the end in facial animation.

FYI, the armor on the left is from the DLC area. You can meet the character on the right relatively early after the whole game map opens up and I was so happy when they let you get her armor minus the weird chin strap.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh, something I didn't figure out until late in the game, one of the collectibles is called "Vantage Points" and you get a short audio clip when you find them. If you go into notebook there's a much longer text that goes with them that tells a much deeper story. So if you are collecting them make sure to check that out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zero Dawn takes up like 40gb on my Playstation 4.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

It works fine for me

I'm lvl 4 and I got Silent Strike, Drop, Lure and Concentration. And yeah I'm already using concentration constantly and it slows down time just fine. Am I gonna end up with more perks than points or more points than perks

I think you can eventually get every single perk. Silent Strike, the concentration perks and the ones that let you shoot 2, then 3 arrows at a time are the only absolute must haves in my opinion, though a lot of the other ones are very nice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

buglord posted:

Dumb question: how reasonable is it to get all the achievements? I've been a fan of 100% games I really like, but not the games that require ridiculous effort to 100%. Did so recently with the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro Triology, and im working on Death Stranding right now. Relatedly, can I play the game on normal difficulty and still get them? I made the mistake of playing DS on Very Hard and that made the weak combat portions very painful. Cheers!

The Frozen Wilds DLC achievements might be a pain, but if it's something you're motivated about it's very doable. Go ahead and play on Normal, if it's too easy you can change it.

Fake edit. Looking at the PC achievements they added one for completing New Game+ on Ultra Hard difficulty, I think that's the only one related to difficulty. A bunch of people in the PS4 thread have done that so it's not an insane task, but if you're late in your first playthrough and the harder difficulties are too hard for you then I wouldn't expect to be able to do that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

itry posted:

Tallnecks are :aaa: and also somehow :3:

This game seems to be much more mechanically complex/deep than I anticipated.

They're my favorite.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I remember there was a vendor on the way to Meridian or something, that has something you kinda-sorta want to bumrush the main story for, before you stop and smell the roses. No idea what it was, any idea what the hell I'm talking about?

To fast travel you need to use a consumable (which you can make out of animal parts) there's a merchant at the gate between the Nora and the rest of the map that sells a permanent version of that, you need a fox skin to trade for it. That might be what you're thinking of.

Something really handy, especially if the load times are better on PC is you're fully healed whenever you load a save, so if you're low on health and near a campfire you can just save and reload instead of using healing item.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

An organized campaign to downvote a game because it doesn't work is fine. An organized downvoting campaign because a game has a female character with biceps is not okay.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If the gameplay loop isn't hitting your buttons you can mainline the story and if you don't like the story or the gameplay by the time you finish Maker's End you can safely close the game and never think about it again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If you don't like the story of the game you're going to have a hard time beating it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

This game has really weird gameplay/plot progression segregation. By the time you get to Meridian for the first time, unless you've really freaking dashed over there, you have access to the best gear you can buy (not the best gear overall, I guess. I'm assuming the Hunter's Lodge stuff is better.) and the capacity to buy at least a couple of bits of it. And the plot is barely getting started! I'm looking at my notebook completion percentage and it says I'm over 50% done even though the plot has basically done nothing yet! Feels pretty weird.

Also gearing up for full elemental resist against certain enemies is hilarious. If I put on my anti-frost outfit I'm pretty sure Glinthawks can literally do nothing to me, for instance. Maybe I should up the difficulty, but I can't aim for poo poo and the higher difficulty levels remove the aim assist...

Every enemy can also physically attack you. Glinthawks are way easier at max frost resist, but they can dive bomb you too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Nils has his whole serial killer persona but I don't think I've seen him kill a single bandit. Mostly he just follows closely behind me without attacking anything and occasionally gets shot by arrows.

I've seen him kill a couple people, but he mostly stays out of your way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aside from some specialized types, ammo really isn't limited after like, the proving.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

itry posted:

Another thing that annoys me is that I can't just say "heck no" to some of these NPC's. Can't go "You want me to collect boar skins for you?" Haha, no way". Instead Aloy just sighs and accepts her burden of being surrounded by idiots.
s if stuck on something.

This is something I've never been annoyed by in games, since you can always just not do the quest and I don't want to lose out on quests because I picked a sarcastic response.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

srulz posted:

Yes, I've found that to be true so far for the normal vanilla arrows, but can I just spam the Flaming arrows on all the robots I've encountered and don't need to "farm them up" again so to speak? Since it seems like almost every robots so far are weak to the Flames.

Like half the robots drop blaze, and if you really do ever feel the need to farm for it the very first hunting ground has a grazer herd that respawns every time you start a trial, you can redo trials forever even after getting the best medal for them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

itry posted:

The coolest thing to do is to kill a Thunderjaw with its own weapons.

Ravagers have by far the most powerful weapon you can use against other dinos, if you find yourself fighting both your spoiler and mine, you can use the later's gun to kill both if you don't miss too much.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Perks are very helpful and the health at level-up means you can make more mistakes while fighting dinobots, but the largest roadblocks are gear and player skill. If there was a mod that made it so you just don't gain experience and levels, I'm betting most people who've beaten the game could still beat it (it'd just take longer and be more annoying to play)

So don't worry about being overleveled for the main quest. One of the main quests has you fight a robot you absolutely cannot find before the quest and the first time was really hard for me (like 20 some odd deaths) and when I did a second playthrough, at a higher difficulty and a lower level when I got there I did it in one go.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Good advice for that corrupted area I was having problems with. I don't seem to have freeze arrows, and am a stubborn idiot so I brute forced it and eventually roped in some nearby scrappers to help. I guess I gotta find something with freeze, then.

I think the lowest level sling has freeze, so most any merchant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

I did manage to take down a Thunderjaw but what an intense fight that was.

They aren't the hardest fight but definitely the most satisfying.

loving rockbreakers

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

Pc performance is so crazy. One minute its fine next, it's wildly unplayable than goes back to 60fps no problem for no reason. Anywhere I can read a deep dive that goes into the game's code or is it too early for that?

Also, Holy mother of god gently caress Ted Faro.

I knew there was a reason I kept this thread bookmarked.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Creating sentient robot dinosaurs for "peacekeeping" and then losing control and having them destroy human civilization seems bad already, but I'm not that far in the story yet and I'm guessing there's something else that makes him even worse. Maybe he did it on purpose or something. Still don't even know what the Horizon project is at this point, everyone's being real vague about what it entails.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

What mystery boxes are worth buying? Starting to pile up on lenses and hearts I don't need.

None, probably. I get the shard gambler ones out of boredom and I think have generally made a profit, so maybe them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

I'm talking about the ones you can trade monster hearts/lenses for, most of which drop mats. I just was wondering if it was better to buy boxes with my spare parts rather than selling them to the vendor. I can probably do the math to figure it out, but I was making sure no one had already done it.

It's probably quicker to just kill whatever you need to get gear or upgrade containers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vargs posted:

Thinking about taking this game's difficulty down from Very Hard to Normal not because of anything involving the battles themselves, but because it means I'd need to pick up fewer of these loving herbs. Holding out hope that I'll find an estus flask that refreshes at bonfires laying around somewhere.

If you quick save at a bonfire then quick load it refills your health. Kinda annoying but if the game is stable on your pc it'll be quicker than it was on the PS4 and you can save your herbs for mid battle healing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Played a lot more last night, wondering how close I am to the end of the game now. The next story mission is called "The Mountain That Fell" and I'm getting vibes that it's either the final mission or close to it.

Would now be a good time to do the DLC and mop up all my sidequests?

It's not the final mission so you can complete it and still do side quests after.

Please post your thoughts afterwards though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Unless they changed it for PC for some insane reason, the game automatically makes a save before the point of no return

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

I just got to Meridian and have bombed around doing a few side quests, feels like everything is wide open to me now, what would folks recommend, spend time side question, go find all the cauldrons, b-line the main story? Obviously "whatever you feel like" but any suggestions?

I'd follow up with Erend about his sister and the the other dude who had the focus for a little while at least.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

I know the DLC and main story both adapt somewhat to whichever you've done first - is there a general consensus on which one is more satisfying to complete first?

Neither changes the other enough to be overly concerned. It's literally just a handful of dialog changes.

You should probably do the DLC relatively late though, just because it's significantly harder than most of the base game and you end up with more powerful gear at the end than what's available in the base game. Though one of the armors is same as one of the best npc's in the game, so if you want to dress the same as your bestie you might do it before finishing the hunter's lodge quests.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I was never certain if it was damage or tear that affected stuff like Bellowbacks and long legs exploding.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

The double corrupter rockbreaker fight is the most irritating thing in this game good lord

Someone hasn't done the DLC yet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

yeah that's about when the game puts laser guns on the sawtooth and calls it a ravager

Ravagers are so loving easy if you can hit their gun with a tearblast arrow at the start of a fight.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Where will I get the 'improved' versions of the banuk elemental weapons?

Quests mostly I think.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

itry posted:

There's so much incompetence in work there. Where would you even start?
Designing robots that consume animals for fuel (how is that even energy efficient?) is enough of a :psyduck: all on its own.

The real life military is currently working on robots that do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

About to take down my first Thunderjaw, any tips?

Also I would pay money to refill my med pouch with shards. Any particularly rich medicine plant farms?

Right before the gate out of the Nora lands where you fight your second corruptor has a bunch of plants. They also tend to be near river banks and other water areas.