Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving

tinstaach posted:

Apparently several teams were 'saved' (whatever the hell that means in this context) by players who had hoarded millions of peanuts, hoping they would eventually become useful. And they were!

Axel, peanut god-emperor of the immaterial plane

(he wasn't even hoarding for a reason, he was just doing a bit on twitter!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

https://thegameband.medium.com/introducing-blaseball-short-circuits-595125e6d66b

Blaseball is semi back next week with a bunch of self contained mini leagues starting November 1st

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

https://thegameband.medium.com/introducing-blaseball-short-circuits-595125e6d66b

Blaseball is semi back next week with a bunch of self contained mini leagues starting November 1st

And with the goal of using these short seasons as testing grounds for a bigger restart (and app?) in 2022.

Will have to keep n eye on it.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

If you sign in now it asks you to pick a username. Curious to see what they do with that.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Short Circuits relaunch announcement in about 9 minutes.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Election stuff is up. Every team gets their most voted amplification and 12 teams will win a single distortion via raffle.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

New favorite player is Pidgeon Heist based on name and nothing else like blaseball intended

The Postman
May 12, 2007

New betting seems interesting. I like that it's simplified, but I'm hoping they expand on it a little bit. I think it'd be cool to have side bets like "Feedback will occur" or something. Here's the rules:

I'm also happy the new system lets me do something stupid like this

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Betting in advance is nice, I don't remember how many times I delayed going out somewhere or going to bed until the top of the hour so I could get bets in, but it was definitely more than zero

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

tinstaach posted:

Betting in advance is nice, I don't remember how many times I delayed going out somewhere or going to bed until the top of the hour so I could get bets in, but it was definitely more than zero

Same. Only having to check in a couple of times per day to cover all game is wonderful.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

https://twitter.com/thegameband/status/1455200220539756545

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The odds seem to change pretty often, or are just wrong: I bid on the Jazz Hands and the Spies winning at 67% each, but on game day the UI shows they weren't the favorite, and actually had a 44% and 35% chance.

Edit, nah it's just wrong.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 1, 2021

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

"New Bets" appears to show the odds as calculated when the game first opened for betting; "Active Bets" (as well as the game day log) appear to show the odds as currently being calculated, which should thus be accurate for the next game and increasingly less accurate further out. Payouts still appear to be calculated off the former, and there's a thing in the updates of "bets are honored as written", so this may or may not be working as intended.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

So far I'm a big fan of the zero-cost bets. With the old system, if I made a bad bet and lost a lot of coins, I lost betting power, and that felt bad. Now, if I make a bad bet, I don't gain future voting power, which doesn't affect how I play the game right now so it doesn't feel nearly as bad.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

A full underdog sweep on Day 10 would net you 1.7 million votes. :getin:

(Hey Game Band, this is a good time to put your thumb on the scale... :v:)

e: Betting odds seem to have stabilized across the various pages, as well as the payouts adjusted to make it more enticing to go for bigger parlays.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 2, 2021

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Turns out you can bet on multiple days in advance! Time to mindlessly lose a lot of money potential future voting power on the Fridays while I'm raiding.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

From https://thegameband.medium.com/short-circuits-developer-log-1-fe878a8c22e2

"We’ve got more types of Betting planned, too. One that’s right around the corner: betting on the Season Champion."

Glad to hear this! Looking forward to making more terrible bets for the 1% chance I get an obscene amount of votes.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

All these new players, gonna be a while before I know who the guaranteed winners are.

Makes me miss the days where Qais Dogwalker will almost always pitch a shutout.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Don't sweat trying to be the first to pick a 12-way winning combo, it's been done

https://twitter.com/magic_blaseball/status/1455291800797818884

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Haven't gotten a single payout. Not even doing the big dumb bets. Lol

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Holy poo poo, Blaseball is introducing a whole new generation of Tumblr kids to accumulators, parlays and bad beats. This is incredible.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i dont understand this game. what is upshelling

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Upvoting events like on Reddit to bring them on top of feeds. A holdover from when peanuts were a game mechanic

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Have any of the SIBR data witches made a tool where you can plug in a series of bets and see a distribution of how likely each number of wins is? Because I have been making 3-team bets with a probability of ~14-20% and so far this season I have hit on 1 out of 24, and I want to know if that's just bad luck or hilariously bad luck.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

tinstaach posted:

Have any of the SIBR data witches made a tool where you can plug in a series of bets and see a distribution of how likely each number of wins is? Because I have been making 3-team bets with a probability of ~14-20% and so far this season I have hit on 1 out of 24, and I want to know if that's just bad luck or hilariously bad luck.

There's no tool for it, but some napkin math says that, if you assume all 24 of your bets had a 15% payout rate, there was only a 9% chance of this happening. (There was a 2% chance of you winning nothing at all.) So, pretty unlucky, but not hilariously so.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

In any case, the blaseball gods smiled upon me and cashed three of my next four :frogc00l:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Next Short Circuit announced to start December 6

Also if you played during this Short Circuit, please fill out the survey

https://ontqpyarm7q.typeform.com/to/Jq8e2OQo

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

New Rules for this Short Circuit:

- Two week season
- 63 games M-F, followed by an election on Sunday
- 36 games the second M-W, two rounds of playoffs Thursday and Friday, second election on that Sunday
- Each Conference will send one Mild Card team into the playoffs, making 5-team brackets on each side
- One of the mid-season election Distortions is "Remake your Team in the Shelled One's Image" :ohdear: (I'm throwing all my votes into there.)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

We're back

https://thegameband.medium.com/our-final-circuit-ba72e3cc13d1

Lots of new rules/gameplay

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Well the Moist Talkers are certainly terrible this iteration.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Entropic posted:

Well the Moist Talkers are certainly terrible this iteration.

Yeah we've been rooting for party time since Monday, it owns.

We just had our third worst pitcher Feedback for Magic's worst pitcher, and it might be an improvement?

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
We saw who the host of Party Time was, and said “Yeah, sure; see you there! :allears:

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Blaseball is back(-ish), baby!

Sign up on https://www.blaseball.com/landing for email to make number go up (and theoretically unlock things for everyone?), there's also an IGN article with some info on what to expect (sounds like Fall Ball is basically a draft?) at https://www.ign.com/articles/blaseball-the-absurdist-horror-fantasy-sport-that-won-a-cult-fanbase-is-back-after-a-year-long-siesta .

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

It's kind of disappointing to see the signup numbers taper off as much as they are, especially when looking at the thresholds for each reward tier. I'm guessing that the developers anticipated that people would show up with the same level of enthusiasm as they did before Blaseball disappeared for a year, but didn't account for the fact that Blaseball's popularity was largely driven by the immense momentum it had gained as a cultural phenomenon.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
twenty thousand people for nothing having even happened yet is pretty big

it's over twice as many people who made it to the official discord

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

flatluigi posted:

twenty thousand people for nothing having even happened yet is pretty big

it's over twice as many people who made it to the official discord

I'm not saying that it's not big, I'm guessing that it's not as big as was expected. The reward tiers are multiples of 15k, and they did get those 15k signups in the first week, but only 4k people signed up in the second week. There are three more weekly reward tiers, which I'm assuming means that there are at minimum four more weeks' worth of signups. If that 4k number holds instead of tapering off further, then we'll only wind up with 35k after four more weeks, clearing only the second tier. Maybe there will be a big boost in the last week if they send out a big "Blaseball's back next week, sign up now!" marketing push, like what we see happen with big Kickstarters.

I also think Discord numbers might not be the best metric to use. Anecdotally, only about a third of the people in my extended friend group who were into Blaseball and use Discord are currently in the server. The official Twitter account has 30k followers, and I would bet that the actual player count was significantly higher than their social media engagement.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

also anecdotally, the discord seems to be full of new people looking forward to starting their first Blaseball, so they're at least achieving the ostensible goal of engagement a campaign like this has

also I'm p. sure the keepers have said the reward tiers are solely badges for participating in the fall draft, so there's no actual content being withheld behind higher tiers

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I'm all hype for the return of Blaseball, but I'm not really feeling this slow drip of one player on the team per week to be honest.

I really hope it'll increase in rate a little at some point, at least 2 or 3 players per fall wouldn't be too much to ask surely.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I'm guessing it's slow for now so they can adjust it up if they hit whatever their ideal release date is or keep it low if they need more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE8kS9lhB-4

January 9, 2023. We'll finally find out whether the site will go down immediately or stay up for a month and then go down again for rewrites