Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

bawfuls posted:

Once you get to the maximum bet limit of 800, the gambling part gets pretty... boring?

I hit the limit this past Monday evening and now I've got ~60k. What is left to do here? I guess I should check out the Tacos discord for voting ideas?

Spend your money! I’m keeping things fun by always spending down to about than a thousand after placing my bets. This makes it so my bets have actual risk because I don’t have a huge pool of money in reserve.

There’s no reason to hoard your coins, since after you buy all the upgrades the only thing left is votes (and peanuts). Might as well save yourself a lot of clicking later by doing a little clicking now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

InnercityGriot posted:

Hell yeah, gonna single-handedly buy them that blessing if I can.

MVP Talk, here's my order right now:

1. Nagomi Mcdaniel, hitting freakin' 9th
2. Jessica Telephone, awesome but not like last season
3. Workman Gloom, just a steady, great hitter
4. York Silk, carrying a mostly bad Fridays team into playoff contention

York’s our dork! York’s our dork!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I absolutely hate the way blessings are distributed. The popular teams get more votes and thus, statistically, get more blessings. We need some sort of draft system where each team gets one blessing from the list, picked one at a time, selecting their top-voted item from the remaining pool. Also, do it in order from worst to best standings.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

God drat it I was too lazy to vote in this election and forgot entirely about Eat the Rich.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I suppose I shouldn’t be upset that the Fridays got next to nothing in the election since they’ve made the playoffs twice in a row, but it’s still a bit disappointing. At least the vibes are still good.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Somberbrero posted:

Ahahaha

For real though, Blaseball is a bit of a hugbox sometimes. Not sure how receptive the community would be.

The Blaseball community is a wonderful group of inclusive, caring people, and unfortunately this means that nobody wants to play dirty even when playing dirty is literally in the rules of the game. Taking down the Crabs would involve not just coordinating between teams but also finding and corralling all of the secret bastards like myself who quietly throw all their votes at plundering York Silk.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

flatluigi posted:

i don't know how you can follow blaseball if you're this much of a wet blanket about fan stuff

I'm following Blaseball because of the emergent storytelling and also because I like seeing numbers go up. It's fun to watch the Fridays going from a trash team to excellent because they spent so long being trash that Enhanced Party Time put them in a position where a couple lucky election results made them top tier. I interact with the community basically only for watching important games with other Fridays fans or for talking about election stuff.

I only really see the team lore and player lore from ten thousand feet and that's honestly just fine with me, since once I start looking at the actual details things just get really exhausting. If the fan lore can be summarized in quick sentences, then that's great! York Silk being an enthusiastic 8-year-old is a fun detail, and his mom being Nagomi McDaniel is a fun lens to look at the stats through when a play winds up involving both of them, but I quite frankly don't care much at all about the dozens upon dozens of pages of histories for popular characters. Also, when I do try to dig in, I find most of it wacky to the point of clashing with the horror tone of the game itself, so I just bounce out immediately.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Have the data witches at SIBR figured out what breakfast does? I'm about to be unconscious for 9+ hours and am not sure how much money I should chuck down this bacon hole.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

A Single Sphink posted:

You'd think they'd eat up trade drama to spice up their stories.

It's the general community guideline that a player's team "owns" that player's lore, so if you're super invested in a character that gets traded away then you've got to follow them if you want to be still super invested in them.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think I finally have crossed over into utterly hating the official Discord. The Fridays are being told by the mods to not be negative about the results and to especially not accuse other teams of sabotage, even in our own private rooms. The community is so relentlessly focused on being positive that it’s just flat-out toxic at this point.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

alpha_destroy posted:

I'm getting the same thing in the Breath Mints space too. Being told that sabotage is explicitly allowed. Which, like, fine I guess. But loving with wills specifically seems really mean when wills are theoretically where small teams are on even footing. For a big team to sabotage other teams' wills would be really hosed.

We’re not being told that sabotage is fine by the rules. We’re not being allowed to discuss it at all! People are eating mutes because they think that it’s bullshit that other teams can roll through and make lovely Wills decisions. Mods have been spamming a “hey it’s time for some self care! 😊 have you eaten anything lately? 😌 go for a walk 😃 and take a shower!” macro. This is toxic as hell and I think I’m just done with the discord for anything but following along with games.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I honestly don’t really understand the three week on, two week off thing, but this siesta honestly came at exactly the right time. The Game Band can spend a couple weeks designing and implementing the fixes they feel are appropriate as opposed to having to mash something through immediately to try to quell the outrage. I think they’ve got some good design sensibilities and will come up with a solution that balances “strategic fluting is directly supported by the game mechanics and is thus allowed” against “some teams are more vulnerable to strategic fluting than larger ones”.

That said, even as a Fridays fan, I think the problem might be somewhat overstated. If there’s an organized push by a big enough chunk of a team to really matter, someone is going to get wimd of it.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I really liked the one-blessing-per-team thing that popped up right before the grand siesta. It felt like a good way to equalize team size advantages.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

CellBlock posted:

below C Level

Are you loving kidDING ME

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I love the Consumers as a way to drag everyone's stats back down to reasonable levels. gently caress the Crabs.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

SIBR figured out how to see each team’s current Wills vote tallies and I hate it. It’s secret by design and revealing it significantly changes how votes are cast. Some forbidden knowledge should remain forbidden!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Oh, dang, I didn’t know Wills percentages were on Apples. I’ve never had both of them at the same time.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Nephzinho posted:

e; I'm more annoyed by the Millscord "no bad vibes" response to everything than anything any external force has done.

The Fridays have the same rule and I completely agree that it sucks.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Entropic posted:

someone explain to me what a "wimdy" is, I'm not on any of the dischords and have only the vaguest idea of the voting strategy shenanigans any of the hardcore fans are up to.

Squall posted:

Basically "this low odds thing happened in a Blaseball election."

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I am very concerned about the pile of crates announcing the MVPs, giving York Silk and Nagomi McDaniel Ego++++, and then saying "two rising stars approach the Vault".

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I gave in and sold all my snake oil so I can get more out of my idolatry snacks. It feels really bad since I’m removing one of the few ways I interact with the game, but I was averaging about five rounds of bets per day and that’s no way to make any real money.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is there a way to catch up on (or keep up with) blaseball that's, like, 50% more in depth than the Roundup? I really like the presentation but it's the highlights of the highlights and the comments are hinting at even more ridiculous shenanigans.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Nea posted:

My team, the Spies, keeps a set of debriefs we write daily that tend to cover more details. some stuff is spies specific but it tends to cover most of the weird stuff.

https://houstonspies.cyou/category/debriefs/

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Parker MacMillan is going to Roam out of the Vault and leave naught but cinders in their wake.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

20/24 teams in the League are now Roamless, just in time for Parker to roam to the Fridays, who are now Squiddish. Sucks that my favorite team is about to get incinerated, but at least the Instability chains are going to be :suspense:.

Actually, if the Sun(Sun) went supernova, can we still have solar eclipses?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Well this isn’t good.

blastron fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 25, 2021

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D84hod8z5NQ

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Not going to lie, I'm pretty disappointed by the paucity of team incinerations. We had all this buildup about how Parker was so dangerous when allowed to Roam but so far even though there's been a fair amount of Instability there's only been one incineration. (The Mints were a fluke of the sim and don't count.) The Fridays got incinerated immediately after they became unstable, but then every other team has both gotten very few eclipses and never actually incinerated when they do get them. Where's the blood? I was promised blood! I demand blood!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

*laughs in Eat the Rich*

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Are the San Fransisco Lovers a reference to the old-school SF-LOVERS mailing list? I'm not sure if this is too deep a cut for Blaseball.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

So far I'm a big fan of the zero-cost bets. With the old system, if I made a bad bet and lost a lot of coins, I lost betting power, and that felt bad. Now, if I make a bad bet, I don't gain future voting power, which doesn't affect how I play the game right now so it doesn't feel nearly as bad.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Turns out you can bet on multiple days in advance! Time to mindlessly lose a lot of money potential future voting power on the Fridays while I'm raiding.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

tinstaach posted:

Have any of the SIBR data witches made a tool where you can plug in a series of bets and see a distribution of how likely each number of wins is? Because I have been making 3-team bets with a probability of ~14-20% and so far this season I have hit on 1 out of 24, and I want to know if that's just bad luck or hilariously bad luck.

There's no tool for it, but some napkin math says that, if you assume all 24 of your bets had a 15% payout rate, there was only a 9% chance of this happening. (There was a 2% chance of you winning nothing at all.) So, pretty unlucky, but not hilariously so.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

It's kind of disappointing to see the signup numbers taper off as much as they are, especially when looking at the thresholds for each reward tier. I'm guessing that the developers anticipated that people would show up with the same level of enthusiasm as they did before Blaseball disappeared for a year, but didn't account for the fact that Blaseball's popularity was largely driven by the immense momentum it had gained as a cultural phenomenon.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

flatluigi posted:

twenty thousand people for nothing having even happened yet is pretty big

it's over twice as many people who made it to the official discord

I'm not saying that it's not big, I'm guessing that it's not as big as was expected. The reward tiers are multiples of 15k, and they did get those 15k signups in the first week, but only 4k people signed up in the second week. There are three more weekly reward tiers, which I'm assuming means that there are at minimum four more weeks' worth of signups. If that 4k number holds instead of tapering off further, then we'll only wind up with 35k after four more weeks, clearing only the second tier. Maybe there will be a big boost in the last week if they send out a big "Blaseball's back next week, sign up now!" marketing push, like what we see happen with big Kickstarters.

I also think Discord numbers might not be the best metric to use. Anecdotally, only about a third of the people in my extended friend group who were into Blaseball and use Discord are currently in the server. The official Twitter account has 30k followers, and I would bet that the actual player count was significantly higher than their social media engagement.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

tadashi posted:

I have been on their email list for a long time and, yet, I have no idea how to remotely catch up with this insane-as-balls game.

I'm treating this reboot like a reset and going in with an open mind. They're adding mechanics gradually over the course of the launch to ease people in, so until then I'm just going to click the vote buttons and lose all of my money until Something Happens.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Nick Buntline posted:

personally I'm more worried about stuff like the anchor switching from a person to a character design, and the lore ban on the discord, and a lot of little things that add up to it looking like game band is moving towards increased creative control and/or merchandising, either of which might work out well for them but might also be real stumbling blocks if they can't get the tech issues worked out quickly and the community starts fracturing/dissipating more than it did over the siesta

I haven’t been following the Discord. What’s this about a lore ban? I thought that lore was 90% of the reason the Discord existed.

Also, the lack of any mobile support is frankly unacceptable in TYOOL 2023. Not having a dedicated app is excusable, but I can’t meaningfully interact with the site at all because there’s no mobile-friendly stylesheet. I’d be more forgiving if the experience existed but was terrible.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is betting on the underdog not a good idea at the moment? I've been putting all my money into long shot bets hoping for big payouts, but I'm not anywhere close to breaking even on most tickets.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I’m upset how much more money I’m making by betting on favored teams than I was by betting on the underdogs. I was really hoping that going with the losing bets was a high-risk, high-reward deal, but I never saw any big payouts when I did happen to win. Now I’m just betting on the winners and making back my money every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The sheer number of people that they've laid off as part of cancelling Blaseball is kind of wild to me. I can't help but wonder what was their monetization strategy going to be, if they were going to be able to keep that many people on staff after a successful relaunch.