Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
oh sweet, I didn't realize we had a blaseball thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Tacos smol

Flowers big

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

alpha_destroy posted:

Meanwhile, someone on the SIBR discord is contacting TGB to ask them to change the name because Groverhaus is ~prooooblematiiiiccc~. Which is just silly to me. If Groverhaus is too toxic for you than 90% of the internet must be a terrifying place.

Groverhaus is problematic? Groverhaus?!?

I... what?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gramps posted:

To a fairly large contingent on the internet ANYTHING associated with our favorite dead gay comedy forum is problematic. gently caress em

meh

of all the things this place has done Groverhaus is like the least problematic

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

tinstaach posted:

The Tacos are content to replace Peanut Bong with a 3-star pitcher from the Shadows rather than hurt anyone's fee-fees by taking a better player from them. Unless the devs do something to force it, player-stealing is going to go the way of the offer sheet in the NHL, a theoretically available way of making your team better that everyone just refuses to use.

I hope you're right, but I suspect you're not; I know there's a very vocal minority in a few fanbases that have been very loud about wanting to use Plunder to bring back 'old favorites' that were lost to Feedback or the like, and at least some who are more than happy to risk every player on their current roster to bring back an old lore fave.

Which sucks and frankly I don't want to be a part of a fanbase that'll do it, but I guess we'll see

Wouldn't surprise me to see at least one player get Plundered away to another team because some rando decided to wimdy three votes on it or something, if the Wills are set up lottery-style the way the Blessings are, just as 24 smaller pools instead of one big one

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Would it really be that bad if some Fridays fan voted to get York back? It kinda doesn't feel like that big a deal.

E: Like I don't get what's so frustrating about the hypothetical outcome of the Garages plundering Jalen or whatever. I can get thinking that's a boring move and being disappointed but it seems absurd that would ruin the game for you.

nah, I'm a Flowers fan; my interest in "risk all the players you like in order to get back Beck Whitney, who we lost before you knew blaseball was a thing" is rock-bottom, is all I'm saying, especially since a big part of the selling point to the Flowers experience for me was the whole 'we try to be chill and focus on growth and making our team better and not getting too worked up over the number of times the RNG has screwed us'

Wouldn't ruin the game for me, but it'd def. ruin the fanbase, I'd go team-shopping afterwards

EDIT: not that it matters as I don't think there's support to get Beck onto the Idol Board for plundering anyways, but that's not the point :D

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Watching the Flowers swipe Nagomi and then promptly stash them in the Shadows is... well, it's a thing that happened, yep

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

rickiep00h posted:

I need to see what the hell happened in Discord to get Joshua Butt buffed in death.

Glad we got rid of Declan though. Stupid loving Declan.

My guess is that all the votes to Infuse him were cast pre-Incineration, and, well, that's the ticket that got drawn

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Also the Pitching Machine is a batter now

like the third-best batter on the Worms

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Victory Position posted:

Uh, how does a pitching machine bat? And how is it so much better at batting than everyone else on the team!? :psyduck:

my headcanon is that someone attached a bat on a pivot in front of the pitching machine so that when it spits out a ball the ball impacts the bat, causing it to swing at the other ball that the actual pitcher threw

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

He belongs wherever he chooses to be

Uncle Plasma is a hardboiled detective character

no matter where he goes, he's gonna crack the case

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sockser posted:

A lot of players got flippers so I'm thinking flooding is actually going to become more common ???

Flooding should still trigger Slushies for Flipper-wearing players, I should think

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I'm honestly considering selling my oil; I don't bet enough and the payouts seem lower

it's almost certainly suboptimal but that's never stopped me before

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

A Single Sphink posted:

I was really hoping the Sunbeams would have gotten past that 5 run marker in their (2)4-5 loss.

the Flowers were gonna win that game no matter how many wins it cost them

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CellBlock posted:

I was with the Crabs, then I moved to the Firefighters after Ascension (because of Chiclawgo, I guess), and I'll probably stick around.

I do like the guy who does the twitch channel for the Shoe Thieves; it's kind of a fun deal. I wonder if there's anything like that for any other teams.

I know there's been a streamer broadcasting games for the Flowers since before I started following Blaseball, and one of the new teams - the Georgias, I think? - has a guy learning how it's done this season. Anyways, Joey T. Badger and 98.5 The Splorts Hub are awesome

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

VideoWitch posted:

I'm real pleased with Wild Low managing to get all the division wide buffs this election with, as far as I'm aware, no intentional coordination.

Nah there was some coordination but it was basically a single graphic that a bunch of the teams pinned in their discord channels and just didn't talk about it much. But there was very clearly A Plan, down to "fans from these teams should vote for these Blessings," and it worked, which is stunning

Lone Goat posted:

Funniest part of the election was Sutton Picklestein getting resurrected, getting stolen by the Mints, then immediately getting their Debt called in and going back to the Hall of Flame.

And taking Tillman Henderson (who got Infused last season) with them.

Can't believe the Flowers resurrected Sutton and got Lenny Spruce in trade for them and then Sutton evaporated

We put Castillo in the Shadows, which sucks a little, but next season if we can pull him back out into the rotation... dear god

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Jinh posted:

Magic got a whole lot better with Chorby Short getting a really big infuse making her an actually scary batter, and trading wyatt glover for a much better shadow player.

This team is fun because some of the stats that would be bad on any other team are good on magic, and vice versa. Moxie is the big one, it basically works as the "ball discipline" stat deciding when players swing or try for Balls.

Magic's "0 no blood" perk makes us incapable of striking out with no balls on the count. So we want players who have zero moxie if possible, characters who are blindfolded at the plate just swinging wildly.

The tricky part is that not everyone on the team has the blood type anymore; it was handed out when the team modification hit but I don't think newly brought-in players get a transfusion. Kurt Crueller and Tiana Wheeler become holes in your lineup with that strategy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

New Election page is up; all the new Decrees revolve around concessions and inventory slots, so the Snack Pack's shortcomings are going to be addressed

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I enjoy the lore elements so far as "it's like baseball in Night Vale" and bounce off of it when it starts moving into "blatant self-insert" territory, personally, and I figure that's fine. One of the things I really do admire about the blaseball community is the notion that everyone's canon is equally valid, so I can watch the numbers happen and enjoy the idea of Cory Twelve the Survey Robot being adorable without delving into Cory's deep and existential pain after the loss of Cory's friend Sutton Picklestein. You choose your own level of interest and involvement, and I think that's fantastic.

My only beef with The Deep Lore is when I see people advocating for goals that would be counterproductive to a team's success because of reasons I can't bring myself to care about (see: when Wills were introduced there was a very vocal minority among the Flowers fandom that really wanted to Plunder Beck Whitney after getting her on the Idolboard because they still hadn't gotten over losing her in Season 6, which was before I started following blaseball, and I got kinda irritated at the idea of risking good and popular players for a chance to steal back a player who'd been off the team longer than they were ever on it - like a Seattle Mariners fan still sad about losing A-Rod), but even then, I don't have to engage with those people.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

yeah I believe seeds only trigger for base hits while home runs - which are admittedly counted as 'hits' in baseball but perhaps not in blaseball - trigger only hot dogs

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

bawfuls posted:

This is apparently part of the appeal. They know Wyatt is likely at risk and want to use a Will to express affection/solidarity with him despite this. They are scheming ways to save Wyatt by sending him to other teams as well.

All of this is lore-driven and really silly on a team that was bad for so long but now is finally a contender imo. I kinda hope he gets annihilated before the end of this season so the issue becomes moot. But I guess that means I don't do Blaseball for the right reasons?

you do blaseball for your reasons, they do blaseball for their reasons, none of you is 'wrong,' just perhaps incompatible.

Seriously. Wanting to win games and improve your team is fine and cool and good. Wanting to do dumb poo poo and/or Lore Stuff is fine and cool and good. No one is Playing Blaseball Wrong except for those jackasses who were cheating.

That doesn't mean that you should just sit quietly and hang out in an environment where you're unhappy, though, so maybe if the direction the Tacos are going in bothers you, and it's raising disagreements that make things less fun for you, you may wish to consider fluting over to another team that might have a culture more to your liking.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I sold my snake oil and don't regret it a bit.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Average Lettuce posted:

The fight for the last spot in the playoffs in the Wild league is pretty interesting, with 3 teams fighting for it and all playing each other in the final 3 games.

Yeah, the Wild Low went absolutely berserk this season, I think the first team to hit Partytime went in on day, like, 92

No one wants to lose

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Pinwiz11 posted:

I wanted my Firefighters to lose. I swear if we end up with no players Partying AND NaN gets feedbacked back to us on Day 99...

but... you're not in the Wild Low, which is what I was talking about

(incidentally the #4 Wild League seed is coming down to Day 99 and I am not prepared for this)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Pinwiz11 posted:

but... I was hoping that the Wild Low's improvement would help speedrun the Firefighters into Party Time.

ahhhh, now I getcha

alas, everyone in the Wild Low improved so evenly that it took until Day 99 to figure out who the 4th seed would be

(thanks for making sure it was the Flowers by beating the Wild Wings, Spies!)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Why do the Crabs show as getting an extra will this election?

last season's Decree was that the four teams with the worst records would get an extra Will; despite getting selected as the Wild Card, the Crabs did in fact have a bottom 4 record this season.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

For one game, the entire blaseball world watched Owen Picklestein pitch his guts out

literally pitch his guts out, as he still has gaping wounds from being attacked by sharks

I love you Owen Picklestein, and I hope the Shadows are good to you when you inevitably get sent there in exchange for a better pitcher

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

bawfuls posted:

back to back runners up, this Taco fandom is starting to feel a bit too familiar

hey now, the Dodgers won a few games instead of getting swept two seasons in a row

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I'm seeing rumblings about organizing vote blocs to get as many teams as possible to swipe good players from the Crabs and I'm not at all sad about the idea

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I don't see an issue with just going "champagne and cheese are a bad combo, if you use a flute you don't get to cast Will votes for the remainder of the season" or something along those lines. Wills get to go back to being the chance for smaller teams to actually achieve something come election time, and people are prevented from fluting in, casting self-destructive Will votes, and fluting back out again. Problem solved.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It still extremely sucks that sabotaging other teams looks like a legit strategy. I get not optimized stuff happens which is a stated part of the game but spy games is lame.

:yeah:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I'd be so much more excited about the statement if there was something a little more substantial than "we're working on it;" not that I'd expect TGB to have a full suite of fixes ready to go or anything, but at least some sense of "yeah, we get why folks might be upset" rather than the "That's blaseball, Suzyn" we got.

Because, y'know... yes, that is blaseball, but if we're operating under the paradigm that teams with smaller fanbases exist mainly to improve their players until a team with a larger fanbase can come in and pick 'em up, it would have been nice to know that going in. The dream is to see your team succeed to a New York Yankees level of dominance, if only for a short time - no one, I suspect, got into the game going "I want to sign up to support the Trenton Thunder."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I don't think the real onus is on TGB, having had some more time to sit and think about it. It's on the community as a whole to decide what kind of a community or communities it wants to be.

Like, when I came in to blaseball, cross-team solidarity was a big thing - because while I might want my team to beat your team in a game, at the end of the season we're all going to be standing side-by-side in opposition to the Peanut. So there was an incentive to regard other teams as... rivals, sure, but friendly rivals you can sit and have a beer with. But the Peanut's gone now, so that external force to band together against isn't there anymore, and we're seeing the shift from "one community with multiple camps who are still united" to "twenty-four communities united largely by the game."

(the part of me that is brain-poisoned by politics thinks there's probably some parallels to be drawn between this and 'how the GOP and the Dems view the role of state governments in a national federal system' but honestly I'm trying not to pay attention to that part of me today)

So there's a big and important question that the community has to actually grapple with instead of just ignoring; "should cross-team solidarity exist only in response to an external game-level threat, or should it continue to exist absent said threat?"

I don't think there's a wrong answer to that question, but there still needs to be one.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

People can donate a peanut to a feed item to effectively give it a Like, so it shows up on higher if you sort these Global Feed that way

No idea if it has any other implementation.

they made the feed Reddit

get out, get out now

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/SquidonSkates/status/1379127487741976580

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

was just coming to add that follow-up, yeah

so this will be... interesting

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Why is Chorby's soul (and soul scream) so fricken big still holy poo poo

mostly, at this point, I think the answer is "because it's funny"

EDIT: if the Worms don't try and swipe Chorby Soul for next season to ensure a few more seasons of Bottom Dweller I will be disappointed in them

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

With the 2* equivalent rule on trades its actually hard to steal Chorby.

e; Also not remotely surprised with how many 3rd renovations were purchased, everyone has so much money with the lowered snack slots.

it's not *that* hard to steal Chorby; even if you have no 2-star-or-fewer players currently, there's a decent chance a team will by the Election once Consumer attacks get more widespread

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

it was nice knowing you, Nagomi McDaniel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I love the generally chill vibes around blaseball but I'm less of a fan of how often - and I'm not accusing anyone here of doing it, I'm just saying it's a trend I've spotted across platforms - the "please be chill and touch some grass" response is deployed as a more polite way of saying "don't disagree with me on the best way to participate in the game, I'm right and you should shut up"