Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

There's your problem.

Not talking you specifically, I hate how huge wheels have gotten on cars making tires even more expensive. The nice 'little' 15s on the VW I could get a set of good brand tires guaranteed for 50-60k miles for <$800. For similar tires in 17 inch on the wife's DD are going to probably end up being $1200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

My grandfather always told me that anything that keeps you off the ground is worth investing in. Beds, shoes, and tires.
This is very good advice. I'm a cheap bastard but those are three things I won't skimp on.

bolind posted:

Anecdote I've probably told before; right when the first wave of X5/Cayenne/That Merc SUV I can't bother looking up the model of/Tuareg/Q7 they were comparable cheap to get here, provided you formally registered them as a van (so, back seats got torn out, basically.) Eight years later they were often spotted with worn to gently caress tires because they got bought up by dudes who could barely afford one, and probably fainted when he saw that a new set would set him back one sixth of his purchase price.
This is very true around here. All the German suvs on their third or fourth owner are cheap because they haven't been maintained and need new tires. We looked at a couple private party and they were all trashed, the one that passed my quick look over massively failed a PPI.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I ran into that earlier this year when car shopping. I was looking cheap, wife said get something newer and fun so I upped my budget a lot. It would have been fun but I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money so I ended up buying just a hair over my original budget. I still kind of wish I had just kept the old VW with how little I'm driving.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

nm posted:

Winter drive an Elise. jesus.
Don't tempt me, that'd be fun as hell other than bottoming out everywhere.

cursedshitbox posted:

I've never had a seller complain about bringing a four foot wrecking bar along
:golfclap:

Rhyno posted:

Basically we can now afford nice stuff but I can't get my head past the days of living paycheck to paycheck and even though the wife is onboard with a new car purchase I keep backing down and looking at $10K shitboxes. I think my brain is broken.
I'm the same way. Was shopping this spring for a new DD under $5k, wife said buy something fun but keep it under $30k. Looked at and test drove some fun cars....ended up with a <$10k car. I'm happy with the i3 but I don't like the upright driving position and I've been eyeing Caterham (a real one), Elise and Cayman because those are perfectly reasonable DDs.

Rhyno posted:

On another level I feel like I don't deserve a nice car. Like some weird imposter syndrome or something.
Daily driving something I'd actually mind getting door dings is a weird feeling. You deserve a nice car, you've worked hard. Buy the car

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Next person is supposed to show up in an hour to get it. We'll see if they bring a truck like the ad said, or if they show up in an MR2. I sold a 32" CRT TV once and the guy showed up in a god drat Chevy Cavalier 4 door. But he crammed in in the back seat, much to my surprise. It had like 1/2" clearance after squishing the seat foam down.
This was me for a long time. I fit several motorcycles, with the front ends removed, in the back of my GTI which always amazed sellers. Bought a couple engines that way too if I didn't feel like hooking up the trailer.

BraveUlysses posted:

nah, i think he's just a huge rear end in a top hat?

He's just a huge rear end in a top hat. I've had people try to get me to pay for carfax/autocheck as well as pre-purchase inspection. Look I'll drive it to a shop of your choice, within reasonable distance, and sit in their lobby for an hour while they look it over but I'm not paying a cent towards anything.

kastein posted:

Oh, another thing. You know how people say to never add up your project costs? I have under 3500 dollars into the Honcho build right now, not including axle builds (I was tracking this for LS swap cost reasons, not whole build) or fluids since it needed all the PM done when I bought it anyways. That's including buying the truck. I could get used to this kind of pleasant surprise, I was sure it was gonna be like 5 grand or more when I added it all up.
That's drat good, I was so happy to see that thing moving under it's own power.

I haven't used Craigslist in a while, have had mostly success of fb marketplace other than the constant "Is this item still available" messages. People are flakey as hell though, I'm probably around 10% of people who say they'll show up actually showing up. Like a few have mentioned first one that shows up with any amount of money gets it in most cases. The trade offers are always fun too, in the south it's mostly guns and beat to poo poo dirt bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

I reported the incident to my supervisor, and also told him later that my throat had started to close, so I have informed my employer that I was injured on the job and required medical intervention
I really want file a workman's comp claim, because gently caress paying for an ambulance and an ER visit, but I'm also trying to get a promotion. Maybe wait and see if I can secure the promotion before the 45 day reporting window closes and then bring it up?
:911:

Ether Frenzy posted:

2020 gently caress
Way too young, gently caress cancer

Elviscat posted:

They've pulled that poo poo with my personal packages, just mark it as delivered! Or undeliverable!

With the gear in these boxes, it would have been an issue if they were lost.
Same here, signed for me and never dropped it off. It was well over their 'we'll deal with it whenever' threshold so it got taken care of pretty quick. I've also had stuff delivered to hotels, during installs and stuff, that 'disappeared' after delivery. Again management takes it serious when you mention how much it's worth. Still a pain in the rear end.