Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

RFC2324 posted:

But does have some killer kolaches at the Chech Stop

That place is a national treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

With the "Payroll Tax Holiday" the administration is talking up, how will we pay for social security? Isn't the program basically bankrupt? Congress isn't capable of passing funding for what is happening now.

What's the over/under on elderly/disabled people missing a social security payement?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mustang posted:

How is not voting for Biden anything other than essentially supporting Trump? He's the only one that benefits as far as I can tell.

No one knows. People are full of these hot takes lately. I agree that 3rd party options are needed, but we aren't there.

I keep saying I am voting for the person LEAST likely to cause WW3.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

So here is a current event:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53825673

Mali just had a coup.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

orange juche posted:

and this gives you both

https://www.thespruceeats.com/smoky-martini-recipe-760122

Ingredients
2 1/2 ounces gin
Dash of Scotch whisky
Garnish: lemon twist
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.

Pour the gin and scotch into a mixing glass filled with ice.

Stir well.

Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.

Serve and enjoy!

I don't know.... I like a little vermouth is my martinis. This "unscrew the vermouth bottle and wave it vaguely near the glass" method people use doesn't do the trick.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ahh, nevertheless,

e: forums slow for anyone else

Forums are VERY slow right now.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

It seems reputable. What is yall being ex military's response to this? What does your gut reaction or training tell you? I'm not trolling I'm hoping to learn something. I've done a lot of risk training through fire that helps me generally in life and I'm curious what yall feel when you watch something like that from home

My gut is telling me that things are going to start getting REALLY bad, very quick. Many of us have said in this forum that something like this would happen, and when it did, would act as a catalyst of sorts. The only way I see things calming down is if the police in Kenosha come down hard on that guy with a quickness. Anything less will likely lead to a "poo poo hit the fan" situation. My bet is this will NOT be contained to a fairly smallish town in Wisconsin.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There's definitely well read and researched folks here. I'm not one of them. Only thing I'm reading right now is the writing on the wall. The wealthy are getting handouts daily, republicans are pushing fascist agendas, and the rest of us are just hosed for work or money and soon housing and food.

If there aren't election day shootings at polling stations in largely democratic districts, I'll be surprised.

I fear you are correct.

Honestly, I'm surprised that this hasn't happened earlier.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Lake of Methane posted:

Not just cancelled, but cancelled after they destroyed footage of cops killing a guy before it became evidence.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200619/prosecutors-focus-on-destruction-of-lsquolive-pdrsquo-video

Oh this gets better. The Williamson county Sheriff tried to get Live PD again, this time by going around county officials. Once the county leadership found out, it got crazy. They forced the sheriff to back out of the deal, and THEN Live PD was cancelled.

In addition to the murder footage, the sheriff decided to go all tactical to serve a warrant (looked like a Dirty Harry movie), footage was uncovered related to high speed chases that shouldn't have been a chase, and it came to light that the Sheriff's dept was hiring all the cops from the area that had issues and "quit" their previous dept. This was AFTER one of his deputies was posting racist "elf on a shelf" memes to all the community pages on Facebook (he is still employed I believe).

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

shame on an IGA posted:

Pieced together some clearish before and after views of LA on the weather satellite band that shows water/land contrast best, and it is not promising.

What exactly am I looking for here? The two pictures look very similar to me. Also, I may need glasses...

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

shame on an IGA posted:

the now ocean-colored chunk of southwest lousisiana that seems to have gone missing

I have a hard time with grayscale it seems. Been googling for comparison pics to help me see how bad it is.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can't see much of a difference either lol

I think the cloud cover is screwing with my untrained eyes. Google is NOT helping with any good imagery to help me out either. Lots of shots of buildings leveled, trees down, apparently also a chemical fire last night at a plant.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mustang posted:

I whole heartedly endorse any and every effort to gerrymander and marginalize conservatives of any shred of political power they have.

2020 has shown that these people are neither productive nor valuable members of our society.

They aren't my countrymen.

When I was younger I took pride in describing myself as "moderate". Now I spend my time trying to explain to other "moderates" how they can no longer sit on the fence. We are so past the point where you can debate if both sides can "share the blame".

I don't know how else to tell people this is a fight between Good and Evil. There is no gray area. You are either on the side of Good or Evil.

My faith in humanity is completely gone at this point.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Will the military though, and all the governors, assuming they maintain control over National Guard units? idk really what would happen if the federal executive decided to federalize the NG to have it sit back and do nothing, but between a lack of recent historical precedence here and my own ignorance of how our chain of command stuff works for that I feel like it's kind of an open question. I can't really imagine say, Newsom just sit back and do gently caress all if it gets to the point where you'd reasonably declare martial law, though if things go the more pogrom/domestic terror route I could see that slow boiling with just normal civil law enforcement (they're a mixed bag, but uh, demonstrably trending towards a side at this point) left to handle things.

The whole peaceful transfer of power and civilian control of the military are time-honored American traditions and all, but how well have we been holding onto time-honored traditions these days? I don't know gently caress all about the leanings of the military brass, but I wouldn't think them particularly chudly offhand, and more on the "America global force for good, especially in its foreign military adventures!" side of conservatism than the modern white nationalist populism if anything. I suppose it'd be a question of how much they'll let things slow-boil also before going Turkish Armed Forces. Closest thing I can think of to that was local unrest during Vietnam, but that was unrest against the government against a foreign war the US military was waging--quite a different situation than a conflict at home or an attempt by the current administration to dispense with the peaceful transfer of power.

I've perhaps spent too much time watching the current unrest in Belarus over the past few weeks, having invested more time in learning the history and politics of the former Soviet Union than I do the US (it's easier to ingest poo poo when personally distanced from it). It's a strange thing to watch the will of the security services and armed forces slowly erode--not so much because it's inconceivable, but that it's seemingly dissolving among people whose livelihood depends on their obedience to the administration and justifiably fear it, even when asked to inflict violence upon their own populace. They probably weren't entirely ignorant of their own cognitive dissonance before this all started, but were fine being complacent with it so long as the demands were relatively light (round up and rough up a couple dozen died in the wool dissidents every now and then, idle around metro stations as a show of force and yell at people to not litter most days. I find some optimism, maybe misplaced, in the idea that most of the people working in our institutions want to do good, and will only tolerate so much outside the norm before something cracks.

I keep revisiting this issue in my mind often. At first I was very suspicious of what the military would do. Do you remember when Mattis, Mullen, and other former big wigs all started releasing statements earlier in this year? When I read those statements I got the feeling that there were multiple audiences intended. The military audience was given a message of "be on the right side of history when poo poo hits the fan with this one". I would like to believe that the guys on the line, or at least commanders were able to reach the same conclusion.

That being said, if/when such a thing happens, it will be extremely difficult for people like us to determine who to help (if we are inclined to do so). I would like to say that I was on the correct and just side of this when everything boils over. I just don't know how I am going to determine who stands for what when all of this goes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

It's 2020. Time has no meaning. It's still August 32nd.