Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
All models are wrong, some are useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That thing on his hand is called a newspaper, and it's how people used to get their tweets.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Waroduce posted:

I'm usually real reluctant to believe in coincidences but i mean, there is no middle east OSHA and i am surprised there is not more industrial accidents of significant scale from that part of the world.

There are a lot of actions that get taken that don't get written down or recorded if you don't have a system of inspection that you're trying to meet. The paths people take, who is where and when, noticing issues before they get out of hand. When the circumstances surrounding the unintentional and undocumented solutions that were preventing potentials from becoming catastrophes are alrered and novel combinations of circumstances may emerge.

It's plausible to me that this is another manifestation of COVID's second order effects as work patterns were reconfigured.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Protestors, if mounted police try to draw you into a protracted chase through a desert, they're only trying to extend your supply lines and force you into a formation vulnerable to their cataphracts. Don't fall for it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

orange juche posted:

In before sheep were a previously undiscovered infection vector

But enough about VD, what about COVID?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
If you're trying to solve problems, you need a plan. Planning requires thinking. Gin is the thinking person's liquor.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

What? I've been thinking about it a lot.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

BigDave posted:

Gin is the thinking man's liquor, but scotch is the DOING man's liquor. :chord:

I've been thinking, you do you.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Wingnut Ninja posted:

*loads grenade launcher and flips down night vision goggles*
"Bring it on."

Kept you waiting, huh?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1296818793566568456?s=20

Just imagine I wrote a screed about operations management being a cargo cult or something

What the first tweet says and what the video says do not seem to match. The video appears to be a denial by the postmaster general, not a confirmation. Am I just bad at reading twitter?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

facialimpediment posted:

The PMG is stating that he's not going to put the sorting machines back. He's claiming they need the space for package processing and they don't need the sorting machines for flat mail pieces. Completely the opposite of what the rank-and-file is saying.

Then, Sen. Rosen got the PMG to admit that he had no study data or any actual planning for the effects of what he did. He just figured he would do it, it would work, and he'd be a legend.

I wasn't talking about those, I was talking about the first part directly linked.

quote:

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy confirms he's still significantly curtailing extra trips to deliver mail and overtime pay

I think im just uncomfortable with twitter and congressional hearings. The lack of context and immediacy of reporting obscures things and incentivises congress members to look tough instead of searching for the deep systemic problems.

Hearing that, I immediately had questions I have to go research to see whether it's a dunk such as:

Is the PMG permitted to overcommit funds?
If PMG did overcommit, would the federal employees be paid?
What is the process of requesting emergency funding for the Post Office?
Have changes to USC affected any of these processes in a way that pulled control from the PMG's hands?
What are legislative and executive roles in ensuring direction and funding is provided to the post office?

I can't know if that tweet was a dunk without knowing all of that, I dont have time to research it before work, but a lot of opinions will be formed without knowing any of that.

For the part that you referenced, I think that part is a lot more clear as a failing, provided the rank and file and data agree that sorting is more valuable than the equipment being used to replace it. Which seems likely.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Everything about this seems absurdly dangerous. How often do these things fall out of the sky?

Clearly more often than the once per takeoff ratio most airplanes shoot for.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Proud Christian Mom posted:

which one of you dense motherfuckers was defending politifact again?

https://twitter.com/nataliesurely/status/1298317210302197761?s=20

It was me, but its not that I like politfact, it just seemed consistent with their methods of reporting and outright explained in words next to the picture, the nuances you need to make an informed decision about the statement. It was not buried under some pay walled article on some other site or difficult to get to.. I dont support or deride or know enough specifically about politifact to carry an informed opinion on them as an organization.

I apparently did not take enough pains to make clear that arguments for it having been an ethical violation were based on feeling inspired by an illustration than the words next to it clearly explaining some failure of the administration that I forget the details of. And that this indicates that your political messaging must be clearly defined as in support of your audience's ideologies prior to any of the words next to it or you risk condemnation.

It's perfectly plausible that Politifact is an non neutral organization that favors certain entities. I dont believe that the former tweet referenced served as sufficient evidence to demonstrate this.

That you cannot or refuse to distinguish between the two ideas, whether I agree with an argument or whether I agree with a position, puts you in a nigh unreachable position. That one is a dense motherfucker deserving of derision because any refusal to agree with a point based not on evidence of that point but instead based on stated idealogical lines makes me feel that rationale is not your intent. Perhaps it frightens you.

I'm not going to look up this ad right now. Maybe later if the subject remains germaine to the thread, but I really don't want to because if my previous assumptions carry true, I will just be embroiled in another argument with someone who I both agree with on position and has no interest in rationale. What continues to bother me, is that the nature of Twitter and the modern dialog is such that most people who will respond in agreement or disagreement or form strong opinions on that statement will also likely have not viewed the source material. If somehow later they do, they will incentivised to stick to a biased original interpretation and are through this encouraged to avoid critical examination.

I know its much easier for you to find someone to hate PCM, and just hate hate hate. Sorry.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Wonder Free posted:

Wouldn’t be surprised if this makes Cat V before landfall with how the pressure is dropping. Unofficially.

You can watch our track as we get the poo poo kicked out of us tonight.

https://airbornescience.nasa.gov/tracker/#!/map?callsign=NOAA42&zoom=9&lat=27.9893&lng=-82.0148

Army and Navy get a twitch, NOAA and NASA don't, wtf.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

I didnt expect the Russian Navy playbook tbh.

Pentagon: AFK, making sure brass and boots don't turn a proxy war into a proximate one, brb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PookBear posted:

its annoying af that the liberal media never mentions the times that the police on this country calmly deescalate a situation involving a white male with a gun.

Guard mount?