Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Popehat is completely right. State attorneys are very different than federal attorneys for both civil and criminal law. In the civil world, a lot of attorneys that only practice state law get chewed the gently caress up in federal court because the places are just functionally different. Similarly, federal attorneys that come to state courts can often get hometowned in hearings.

In state court, you'll have a hearing for basically everything contested and procedure rules are significantly more relaxed. In federal court, often the only hearings are those mandated by rule or statute. Everything else is all about motion practice and following procedural rules. In the 11th circuit, for example, 95% of state civil complaints would be immediately dismissed in federal court simply because they are not in conformity with the rules of that circuit. I have a case now where I've gotten two of the plaintiff's complaints dismissed simply because they don't follow the rules. The opposing attorney is a highly qualified state attorney, but they do not practice in federal court and it shows.

I haven't looked at Trump's complaint, but I can assume the motion to dismiss from the NY state attorney generally represents it as it is. He's gonna get tossed out again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orange juche posted:

You got back into lawyering? I thought you quit that to run a taco truck.

I started the taco truck while in law school and sold it in 2018 when I passed the bar. I'm not a big fan of being a lawyer (or the poo poo pay) so I went to school and got a masters in finance in May. I'm unfortunately practicing law until I find something better.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

RFC2324 posted:

shoulda kept the taco truck

I busted my rear end to make not so much. I make more sitting on my rear end in an office now. Are there things I miss about the food truck? Absolutely. But I murdered myself in there and my body is much happier not taking that daily punishment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

RFC2324 posted:

I wasn't actually serious. good on you for getting into something that will let you actually retire one day, and be capable of enjoying said retirement

lol i'm not there yet. I don't even have dental insurance.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There was also some sort of firework warehouse. There's another video where a user is filming that prior to the big bang and you can see all sorts of fireworks going off.

https://twitter.com/SVNewsAlerts/st...ingawful.com%2F

e:f;b.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Texas has a long history of cities being leveled by fertilizer going back to 1947.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That sure is a warehouse full of exploding poo poo.

:stare:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So, about that whole economic recovery things. Jobs report for July is out today. The estimated number of jobs created by opening up: 1.5m Actual: 0.167m

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It was 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate which would come out to around 1kt tnt yield.

There’s no conspiracy theory here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There is no need to leak them. There will be charges brought based upon them, and they'll become public record as a result.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Suicide Watch posted:

What would the DNA prove? That Trump was in close proximity with her while she was on his show? Unless it’s clear evidence of rape I fail to see how anything major could come from this

I'm assuming the DNA on the dress is from semen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He’s not actively doing anything to make money. That’s just how much microsoft stock has gained since then.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Platystemon posted:

Watch trick‐or‐treating happen anyway.

It’s a perfect storm of “it’s outdoors”, “kids are immune”, and “tradition”—not that any of these are deserved.

Everyone does "trunk or treat" in their church or school parking lot these days anyways where parents just line up all of their cars and kids go up to each.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A couple of years back my sister died and I needed cash quick to get to see her (and my girlfriend didn't want me to die in a crash). I sold my harley I owned outright to the local dealership for around 5 grand less than what I paid for it years before. It's not still on the lot in town, but Harley has yet to sell it as the title is still in my name.

The dealership in town is under new management and a salesperson called me trying to get me to come in to ride a new bike. I politely declined.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dolly owns:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1069683307762176006?s=21

That’s talking about her husband.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BigDave posted:

It's also 60% of the total population, they should be celebrating them!

The problem is they're not comfortable sharing with the 3/5ths of the population.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kazinsal posted:

Considering it turns out that Lowtax lied about the Secret Service visiting him it amazes me that we still have to be all :decorum: on SA about stuff like this

I wouldn’t say lowtax lied about being contacted by the feds re: presidential assassination chat based upon a single poorly worded FOIA request. I’m not trying to defend him, but there are a lot of reasons a FOIA request will come back with nothing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I feel your anger, pook. I'm sorry. This situation sucks.

e: Not trying to continue the derail. Just sensing someone in pain. Everything really loving sucks and it is hard to be optimistic.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

had to explain to a friend of mine yesterday what qanon was because her mother and grandmother are believers. it's loving sad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

End cashless bail and keep people locked up pre-trial.

That’s just loving monstrous.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

According to current numbers, the top 1% of the country owns ~50% of the stock market in America and the top 10% owns 87%. 90% of america owns less than 13% of the stock market the feds have poured trillions into this year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I think I mentioned this in Dadchat, but Michael Pollan’s book “How to Change Your Mind” is a well-researched and presented book about the history of psychedelics, particularly psilocybin. In recent years, more of the mainstream medical and psychology community has come around to their use in therapy, particularly for addiction and also people facing life-threatening illnesses. I’d highly recommend it.

I have that book and can confirm it is good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Forklifts are loving heavy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jacob Blake is still alive and is paralyzed from the waist down.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Syrian Lannister posted:

What also is or isn't being reported, depending on where you get your news from:

Guy who was domed, was throwing molotov's, which is why his red t-shirt is on his head and covering his face.

Guy who took one to the chest hit the kid in the head with a skateboard

Guy hit in the arm is seen holding a pistol.

Not trying to start stuff with you guys, just what I'm getting from co-workers.

That's because all of that is mostly bullshit from what I understand.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

Two more days, tonight is Pence's night and he was set to criticize sports players for taking knees. :laugh:

https://twitter.com/THETonyMorrison/status/1298729245309652993?s=19

Baseball and football are not prepared for the unholy shitstorm that's going to come down.

The NFL is somewhat aware with Gooddell making statements that he was wrong about Kaepernick and his protests and wished he had realized it sooner.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Livestream of Laura. Storm surge has already caused Cameron to be flooded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP1Ee4F7q-o

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lakers and clippers voted to boycott the rest of the season.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doc Hawkins posted:

it's a strike

please call it a strike, and make other people call it a strike

I'm saying what they called it. I'm using their words.

Also Laura is cat 5 now. Potentially gaining strength through landfall due to brown ocean effect.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm already seeing "JACOB BLAKE WAS ARMED" headlines from rightwing media on facebook.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Crabdad also went through police academy but did not get a job because he rightfully called out lovely officer candidates for sexual harassment and racism, which in turn resulted in his exile from the community.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hobbesmaster posted:

The better interpretation is that this PD was blatantly disregarding the law and constitutional rights and was only called on it when they charged people with enough money for lawyers to not just plead out.

Oh, and the human trafficking stuff was completely fabricated.

Eh, if they had just stopped the camera a couple of times everything would have been hunky dory in the judge's eyes for the kraft case.

Also, just :lol: if you think that rub and tug employees are doing the job 100% voluntarily.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

A couple of cops I knew talked about how they frequented prostitutes and how it was essentially a perk of the job since they have all the power in this situation. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this is definitely a thing that a not insignificant number of police do and they don't give a poo poo about human sex trafficking for that reason as well

Police in hawaii threw a loving fit when a court ruled that they weren't allowed to have sex with prostitutes before arresting them anymore.

https://time.com/38444/hawaii-police-prostitutes-sex/

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Don't worry, the planet is taking care of its pesky "life" problem and almost all of it is going to be dead over the next 100-150 years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fister Roboto posted:

welp turns out it was even stupider

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1299462860280664064

Obama jumped in to break the strike in exchange for practically nothing. Thanks Obama!

LeBron's face after Barry told him about billionaire island.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wonder Free posted:

You can view the damage that we’ve mapped here. You can toggle between the pre-damage satellite view and what our planes took pictures of. We have a King Air we usually send after hurricanes hit that spends the rest of the year doing coastal Lidar mapping.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/news/aug20/ngs-storm-imagery-laura.html

E: the weird dark lines in the zoomed out view are what we’ve updated, if you zoom in it’s photographs from earlier this week.

jesus

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FYI - charges against Blake have not been shot. He did have a valid warrant out because he allegedly entered his ex girlfriend's house, sexually assaulted her, and took her car.

He has been uncuffed because he posted bond. As of Friday according to news I just read, his criminal case is still active. I could look it up again, but I trust cnn.

e: I say none of this in a victim blaming manner. The cops beat the poo poo out of him before shooting him 7 times in the back. There is zero excuse for that and that cop should face attempted murder charges.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Was just at a protest and had a pro-Trump counter protestor show up, start a fight, and then put a gun in my face with his finger on the trigger. Thankfully a cop showed up and he was disarmed before shooting anyone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah I’m ok. Pretty surreal all in all. Angry old white man pointing a gun at me yelling to get on the loving ground when I just saved him from getting his face smashed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I uploaded a small video clip of it to facebook, and it decided that this should be the thumbnail: