Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

poo poo, it's still March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Porfiriato posted:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/01/wilford-brimley-dead-dies-actor-quaker-oats-diabetes/

Wilford Brimley died. The article says that he'd been very ill and on dialysis, so the cause of death might have been, well, you know.

Ah.

Roundhouse kick.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Woodchip posted:

Synched video of multiple camera shots of the explosion

https://streamable.com/nmhwp9

Holy poo poo, is that Nitrogen Dioxide? That can't be good.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Someone in the PYF Dangerous Chemistry thread did some back-of-the-envelope math and came up with 1-1.5 kilotons, which is well within the range of a tacnuke, and bigger than a Davy Crockett

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Steezo posted:

So around 1 to 1.5 thousand tons of TNT equivalent explosive, like Ammonium Nitrate? Give or take a bit for efficiency.

Not trying to be pedantic, just want to get ahead of the conspiracy theory bullshit. I mean a part of me is looking forward to the crazy poo poo people are going to come up with for how hollow earth lizardman were doing it for the moon nazis who owe Soros a favor for the rona but I'm really not looking forward to more Loose Change bullshit arguing with idiots.

Don't ask me, I ain't no high-energy chemist.

Kazinsal posted:

IIRC it's about a 0.45 relative effectiveness for plain AN (0.75 for ANFO), so 2.7kt of AN is 1.2 kt of TNT equivalent. :stare:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Stravag posted:

Hey remember guyger? I guess we're gonna see if 2020 gets even worse

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amber-...Id=96463576#app

That's exactly the same defense that didn't work at the trial. There can't be much chance it'll work as an appeal. NAL, though.

TCD posted:

He did donate 1.5 billion for it already. Of all the tech billionaires, at least Gates is trying to help fund good causes around the world (that will still need funding after COVID*). If you lump in his foundation, the dude has already given away something like 50 billion. I knew a friend that was working in Africa on improving rural public health due to his foundation.

Assuming successful vaccines.

Yeah, he also funds some very bad causes, too. He's one of the biggest backers of the charter school movement, for example.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

not caring here posted:

gently caress YEAH!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

bengy81 posted:

The weirdest part about killing the postal service is that I'm pretty sure it hurts conservative voters, and feasibly candidates, more than Dems. Everything I've read says that conservative voters are more likely to use vote by mail systems and Dems are more likely to wait until election day to vote in person, even when early in person voting is available.

I think the game is to try to discourage young voters from turning out, but lol, they weren't more likely to come out of this election than any other one in the last 50 years.

That's true in normal times, but the perception this year is that Republican voters are less likely to be worried about voting in person due to concerns about Coronavirus and social distancing (because their trusted sources told them it's no big deal), whereas Democratic voters are more likely to decide to vote by mail to avoid potential exposure (because they take the pandemic more seriously).

Not sure how accurate the perception is but that's the thinking.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

It never occurred to me that he had siblings before today. Every single thing about him screams only child.

There's a two-part Dollop podcast episode about his family and childhood. You may correctly surmise that it was extremely hosed up. Normal understanding of family and relationships simply doesn't apply.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Look, I'm not gloating over the fact the wrong Trump died but, if it had to happen, pleeeeeeeeeeeeease let it be COVID.

If it had been COVID Donny wouldn't have visited Robert on his deathbed.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Fister Roboto posted:

Remember that a pardon carries the implicit assumption of guilt. So he's basically posthumously forcing the admittance that what she did was wrong. Somehow I doubt that she would accept the pardon if she was alive.

Just because something shouldn't be against the law doesn't mean you aren't violating that law, and it doesn't mean that the action is necessarily wrong - just illegal. Which is not a bad thing - violating unjust laws is a moral duty and should be a point of pride.

Accepting the pardon admits lawbreaking, not wrongdoing. And she never denied that she broke the law - that was the whole point.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Irish weren't nearly as well or ubiquitously armed as the US is. Sure, they had ~specialty~ items like plastique and RPGs, but nowhere near the guns and numbers. Pretty sure you could ratchet your numbers up by at least an order of magnitude.

The US is also much more vulnerable to easy to carry out infrastructure damage that would lead to a huge number of indirect deaths.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

my great grandma who fled poland always said the russians were worse than the nazis

i never really knew what to make of that

My wife's family fought the Nazis in Poland, but fled the Soviet occupation because they said the Russians were worse.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

There's a lot of historical evidence to support that, too. I won't go into it right now, but it's like the Soviets were trying to make up for lost time.

If there's a better thread for it please feel free to elaborate. That whole side of my wife's family is gone now, and never talked much about it. This is just family lore passed down through members of the family who unfortunately didn't take much interest in it, so don't know too many details.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah it's definitely worth pointing out that none of my wife's family were Jewish or they might have a very different opinion.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Wayward Rocket! :argh:

mods plz

EDIT and include the smiley

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

shame on an IGA posted:

You wanna understand what's happening in these people's heads, marathon as much Walker Texas Ranger as you can stomach and then imagine believing it's a documentary.

Wave when you see me in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Nobody fucks up quite like a twoey louie.