Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
My specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JLXNDx

I booted into Linux Mint 19.3 via a live USB yesterday (which I have done a million times now), and now, my 2TB Seagate Firecuda hybrid drive isn't recognized. It doesn't show up in the BIOS at all, but when I boot into Windows (which now takes a really long time; removing the messed up drive causes the booting to go back to normal), the Disk Management tool does see the drive, but when I try to initialize it, it tells me that I've chosen something that doesn't exist. Also, Device Manager does see the drive as well, but it says it's an unknown device. However, if I right-click and choose Scan for Hardware Changes in Device Manager, the drive disappears from both it and Disk Management.

I have no idea what happened; I had booted Linux Mint 19.3 from that same USB drive a ton of times, and nothing like this has ever happened. I didn't try to install Linux, I didn't try to format anything, I was just using a live environment, and now the drive isn't working; the only interaction I had with the drive while in Linux was that I mounted it to copy a file over to the live environment, and then I unmounted the drive properly. I'd love to get my data off of it, but at this point, just getting it working again would be nice. Both of my other drives work after getting out of Linux, and if I swap the SATA and power cables around, it's only this one 2TB drive with problems, so I know it's not the cables or the motherboard. I've also tried connecting the drive to a USB SATA adapter, and nothing is recognized (although a sound to let me know that a connection or disconnection happens does occur).

Thanks in advance, I'd love any help that I can get with this.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Tried doing a full battery pull/jumper CMOS reset? It should be working thru the USB but it sounds like some saved UEFI setting is loving up.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

DOOMocrat posted:

Tried doing a full battery pull/jumper CMOS reset? It should be working thru the USB but it sounds like some saved UEFI setting is loving up.

Oh, I haven't tried that, no. You mean physically pulling that round battery out of the motherboard for a few minutes, correct? I haven't done it before.

I know this probably sounds stupid, but that won't cause me to have to format my current drives, will it? I just want to back up what works if that's going to be a risk.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

No; what I think is wrong is one of two things.

One would be the motherboard's UEFI information as to how to boot and mount drives has some bad setting saved and configured in. Clearing the CMOS won't touch any information on drives or drive controllers, but you may have to manually pick which drive to use again at worst.

Two would be the drive's controller somehow had a weird Linux aneurysm and is now non-functional, which seems and is so ridiculous that's almost assuredly not it but OEM's sell first and settle the class action later so who fuckin' knows.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

DOOMocrat posted:

No; what I think is wrong is one of two things.

One would be the motherboard's UEFI information as to how to boot and mount drives has some bad setting saved and configured in. Clearing the CMOS won't touch any information on drives or drive controllers, but you may have to manually pick which drive to use again at worst.

Two would be the drive's controller somehow had a weird Linux aneurysm and is now non-functional, which seems and is so ridiculous that's almost assuredly not it but OEM's sell first and settle the class action later so who fuckin' knows.

Okay, excellent, I understand what you're saying. And yeah, also thought the idea of Linux making a drive non-functional -- especially after using it with said drive more than once -- sounded crazy. I'll try the CMOS thing and let you know how it goes. Regardless of what happens, I really appreciate your willingness to help me.

(EDIT: I more than likely won't get to try the CMOS thing until tomorrow, but just as a small update, I tried plugging the drive into another PC with a USB SATA adapter, and it wasn't recognized at all there, either. I'm definitely still going to try the CMOS thing on my main machine where the drive came from, though.)

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 3, 2020

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
I reset the CMOS and the BIOS, but there was no change. :/ Still not recognized by the BIOS, and error messages in Windows. Here are a few screenshots:

I'm going to assume that the drive died, I just wish I knew why it happened. It makes me afraid to do anything in Linux again, which I don't want to shy away from just because of this.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Every hard drive on Earth is tested heavily under Linux for storage appliance usage; I think you just got bit by a particularly nasty coincidence.

Sorry dude, that bites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
I really appreciate your help with this; I guess I just got unlucky, like you said. I'll probably order a replacement tonight. I'm just glad that there wasn't anything important to my job or anything on there.

Again, thanks for the assistance.