Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I stumbled into this thread ... somehow from seeing that Das Volk got banned a year back for being a Nazi.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Just found this picture of the time I met Revelations and DJ Commie driving Das Volks 190e across the US. Didn't it end up in a couple of goons hands?

DV bought it from a some kid SA poster. He'd signed the title over to DV, but DV never converted that into a CA title for himself
He sold it to me without making it 100% what was going on there, so I basically had to track down the PO myself and beg him to cut me a new title just to sign it over. This took something like... 5 months? It was a huge pain in the rear end and soured me tremendously on the car, and I was biting my tongue at the time cuz DV seemed to be in the in crowd at the time and I just didn't want to light him up for how cavalierly he washed his hands of that car.

One more story now that I've read through the whole thread --
back when ultimateforce was still trying to keep Kaizen Tuning (is that the right name for his shop?) afloat and offering to weld people random knickknacks, I commissioned him to make me a stainless steel mug. He tried but couldn't get it done to his own satisfaction. He send me a few pics and I was like, just send it to me! But he refunded my money and was out his time, and I guess also the material.

So yeah, I have still be incredibly active on SA -- that weird database issue we had a few years ago locked the Boston thread in an inconsistent way, and since we were the LAN thread with the most posts, we resolved to shitpost ourselves back up to the top as fast as we could. There just as here, the names have rotated some, and the numbers aren't as strong as they used to be, but the community is still good. And likewise, everyone who's still standing is a lot more left and class conscious, all to the good.
I am quite active in the few bicyling threads on SA -- that's definitely where my project mentality has shifted. It's so much easier and cheaper to build a bike from scratch, or to completely swap its components. InitialDave -- what happened to that Orange you were looking at getting?

Reading through here and seeing slidebite's and leica's discussion on TBI reminded me --
when I did that Lemons Race in 2018, I was less than a month past a concussion I got in a kickboxing match. I enjoyed everything about the event except the driving, and for that, I was just not able to keep up. I don't think I was a safety risk out there, like driving so badly that I was gonna make bad contact or hurt someone, but I just couldn't push it. Muffinpox was also driving, and there had to be 10+ seconds in our lap times. I mean there would have been a sizable gap even if I were 100%, but man it was frustrating.

In fall 2019, one of my best friends, and definitely the person IRL who had the biggest love of cars, got diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. She was gone less than half a year later. It was pretty hard to see it happen. I'm very glad she got to drive the 348 a bit before I sold it. I think about that car a lot and will talk about it with anyone who gets into my car history. It's such a high point for me, and I hope everyone enjoys a car as much as I did that one. Anyways, her death put some more damper on my willingness to have some crazy ride. Having moved from the apartment with an underground parking spot and being left with just an outdoor spot, I felt less willing to wrench on stuff at leisure.
I sold off the NG95, sold off the S65, and am left with just the Element SC. Great car for our needs now, just not a thrill to drive. I looked briefly at getting one in manual, and the ~3k premium didn't seem worth it for how we use it. It's basically my wife's work truck.

I see some smug fucker driving around all the time in his awesome Suzuki kei truck, and if any of my stock options actually hit, maybe that'll be the next crazy thing I get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IT'S CALLED PAX AND IT'S TOTALLY VALID

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I dunno if this is quite the right thread, but the Dutch buyer of my 348 still has the car, and linked me to an ad campaign from a clothing brand using the car!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwuUt4jo3Up

Nice longer video (that I can't find on YT yet) showing the 348 and other nice vehicles:
https://cdn.shopify.com/videos/c/o/v/0cef60dc5454463b82349cf0d00e38a2.webm

Some shots he got of the car on the slopes

Glad the car is out there living its best life.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

With a little production magic, it looks so much cleaner than I ever had it. Ripping around on the snow in regular tires must have been fun.

The model putting a bag in the frunk reminded me of how I wanted to shoot a gag video where someone pops the trunk and pretends to put luggage back there, with the camera angle hiding the engine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Muffinpox is still out in Boston doing his thing, enjoying his newish Civic Si. I don't really stay in touch but follow him on Instagram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I passed by a Dinan badged E92 and had a flashback to how Das Volk talked up the insane build quality and customer service experience with getting a Dinan intake and then being mad that it was +0hp.