Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm in my early 40s now and everything has gone awful, I've had this period for a week now and it's just pouring out of me still and it's so hot here and I'm so loving tired auuuugh. Ugh. Hate. I went to the bathroom earlier and apparently last time I was in there I managed to plant a bloody handprint on the inside of the door so THAT is how my evening is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm in my 40s and still look down at the blood swirling down the shower drain and pretend I've been in a gang fight, I assume everyone does this

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Wish I had ovaries and could do this :(

Next one's dedicated to you, my gang ally who tragically died in the fight. RIP.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bismuth posted:

I have poo poo wrong with me so for the last couple years I've only had super mild periods randomly once every 3-4 months. Before that I used to have 7-10 day hell geysers, in HS and college I constantly lived in fear of leaks because every period was like that elevator in the shining.

My rando periods really like to show up almost as if scheduled for when I have plans though. Camping? Road trip? Flight? Period is here!

A few years ago I had an exciting medical issue (my parathyroid gland went rogue) and I didn't have a period for six months. It was great. Then I went to the doctor and it turned out to be something semi-serious and now they're back and better than ever! By which I mean worse. So much worse.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

Periods are such bullshit and I'm miserable every time mine shows up and UGH

also hella acne, like what in the gently caress why does my face do that, please stop

There are two signs of my period approaching. 1) intermittent waves of black suicidal despair for an hour or so at a time. 2) my chin breaks out in spots.

Can't wait for the loving menopause to arrive. Come on, I'm not having a baby at this point, just shut it all down.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

That sounds like a rough goddamn experience.

I don't think the syncing thing is actually true, is it? I think it's just the law of averages. If four of you live in a house then it's pretty likely two or three of you will be on at the same time occasionally.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My first period was on school sports day and I'd just turned 12. Thankfully I was unathletic so did not have to do a sports. And my mum was careful to prepare us because she came on at 10 and her mother was completely unhelpful so for a month or two she thought she was dying.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My friend has a tipped uterus and every time she goes in for a smear test she tells them and every time they try jabbing her painfully before finally admitting maybe she's correct about her own anatomy.

Also my sister had vicious endometriosis for years and years, and only got diagnosed when it started interfering with her ability to get pregnant. Before that it was just 'it's normal, lots of woman have pain'.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's really petty but the Clue app recently put in an obnoxious purple 'try our premium version' banner and it drives me batshit when I'm in the mood to be driven batshit by tiny things, which is to say, any time I might be looking at a period app.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah my sister began menstruating at 14 and her endometriosis didn't get diagnosed until she was in her 30s and they started examining why she couldn't get pregnant. Her periods had always been painful to the point of being disabling two or three days a month and she just got blown off.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I can't watch Ab Fab at all. My mum had a problem and I am a bookish brown-haired bespectacled girl. Saffron's plight was never funny to me.

Also I had a 12 day period that only ended 2 weeks ago and if this spotting is the real thing I'm going to kick my uterus out the window.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Well it is a wee mini-period that's trying to happen, I can't quite get away without a pad. I'm exhausted and thirsty and cross. Does anyone take iron? Does it help?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Miss Broccoli posted:

ive already achieved Is it pains or do u need to poop (yes) but ohgod this poo poo makes you wanna puke too?

I mean not everyone but it's different for all. NGL I didn't realise estrogen would do this and I am both glad you're able to live your truth and sorry that now, like all women, you will be devoured by gutmonsters.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Oh good, good, my period has finally decided to open the floodgates after a week of spotting and I'm back to work tomorrow after a week's vacation, good, thanks, yeah, great.

I had to have a serious conversation with my boss the other day because workmen were going to block access to the bathroom for four hours and there are times when I need access to a bathroom once every hour. That was fun.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Always brand pads over here have a scent to them. I don't like it because I can't separate it in my mind from the other smell that's always going on when I smell it. Also I think they give me boils on my bits sometimes and nobody needs that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

augggh I got them sawblades. Lately I have one tiny little nothing period and then a five-day gap and then a ten-day hell period which is great because it basically never ends

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mesimean posted:

Still alive! Still bleeding though it looks like it's stopping at last. Was put onto tranexamic (?) acid for 5 days which made me feel so sick on top of things, but seemed to have worked. Terrorfied I'm going to start bleeding again in a few days though. Now got the fun task of trying to get the doctor to investigate what is going on, or at least send me to someone else who can. Getting a face to face appointment with anyone is like getting blood from a stone right now.

Surprised they're not doing a D&C to be honest, hope it stays gone.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Skratte posted:

sometimes PMS makes me actually suicidal and I do not appreciate that, hormones. It's not that often thankfully, usually it's just days of "why this, why life" depression and then my period starts and I'm like OHHHHHHHHHHHH all the pieces have fallen into place.

Oh man same. About once a month I have a few-hour chunk where the world is black and hopeless and there is no future and why bother being alive, and then my period comes on and I'm like, *oh*.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

DicktheCat posted:

Uh... Ladies, if your period is making you suicidal, please talk to your doc. There's this thing called PMDD that can really gently caress you up to dangerous levels, mentally, and there's treatment.

Yeah I'll get right on trying to persuade my doctor to take that seriously. Nah you're right, it's just, uggghh

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zoesdare posted:

My sister in law is working on adopting a kiddo and they’re having paperwork drawn up to make the hubbs and I the guardians should something happen to them.

Suddenly after almost fourteen years we are having the kids discussion and I’m stunned that he still thought natural kid was a viable option for us. I made my peace with adoption-only about five years ago. Even if I didn’t have horrid reproductive problems, I would still be considered a geriatric pregnancy at this point.

I really think men just don’t realize that we’re on the clock when it comes to fertility. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t regret the path that got us here, but I’ve been assuming adoption for years now.

In more directly period related news, Monday I get stabbed in the armpit a bunch for my new Nexplanon implant.

I feel like a lot of men really don't internalise the time limit, yeah. I'm 42 now and I mentioned idly in front of my brother that I didn't think I'd be having children and he acted surprised.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah. I'm not against the idea of having a kid, like, I don't *not* want children? But I've never been at a point in my life where if someone handed me a baby I would want to raise it, and I don't think 'tick tock' is a good enough reason to pull that trigger. My siblings have kids, so I have little kids in my life - I don't think I want to have one of my own at this point. Too old.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Maigius posted:

Why do large pads without wings exist. I accidentally grabbed a pack of overnight pads without wings and it just feels too loose. My period is heavy enough that I use these during the day, but if the ultra large four fold long pads didn't exist I'd be screwed.

These days I kinda prefer em without wings. Most times the stupid wings just curl up or don't stick properly anyway and then they're a vector for blood to sneak down the sides.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

I just had a flashback to a time when a cheap pad came loose from my panties, so that when I took them off, my pad was still stuck between my thighs until I sat down. Unfortunately this all happened in a matter of seconds, so I didn't even really notice it. Until I went to flush and realized that the pad was floating in the toilet like a canoe, carrying passengers.

💩
🚤

One time I hadn't slept for three days because of various medical emergencies, and I was putting in a pad and fumbled and dropped it into the unflushed toilet. That is the most tired I have ever felt in my life.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to make anyone excited because my problems are extremely humdrum. I'm just crying on the toilet because on top of a week's worth of work being a complete waste and trying to get pregnant, I got a UTI.

Ah mate that sucks. Last UTI I had was during a heatwave and I could not drink enough to shake it. Lasted about two weeks ugh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's the waking up thirsty I can't stand, it's kicking my rear end this time. I feel absolutely drained, like all my insides are coming out and I'm gonna just deflate onto the floor in a sad little puddle. Bleeeurgghh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Enfys posted:

General Bullshit > menstruation megathread: My uterus just wants to shed

Wake up in the middle of the night
I can tell from my guts something just isn't right
There it is, a big red stain in the bed
My uterus just wants to she-ed
My uterus just wants to shed

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I only shave my legs if I'm going to be showing them off which is approximately never. I do shave my pits every now and then though, partly cause I show em off more (I like tank tops) and partly cause I feel like my deodorant doesn't work properly if there's too much hair around.

Bra-wise nope, that thing comes off as soon as I'm in the door. Straight into goddamn pyjamas, no bra. I'm kinda busty and I love the 'comfort bras' that are around now. loving underwires can bite me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm fat and I hear using cups is a lot more difficult if you're fat, and at my age it just doesn't seem worth it. I'm well into the perimenopause which is when your periods go loving insane like you were 12 again and you never know what's going to happen any more wheeee

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Then there are times I think of the old days, where women had their special tent. I'd be fine if we brought that back and modernized it: work from your little hotel room if you can or want, otherwise you get a week of hot tub or massages or just binge watching poo poo.

Yeah seriously I wouldn't mind having the option of 'sorry can't come to work I have to sit in a red tent for a week and do nothing'.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

This is why I only wear pads when I go to sleep. That, AND the feeling of blood pouring out of me when I'm in public gives me anxiety.

Gonna be real. Sometimes if it's very cold out, a bit of blood seeps out all warm, and that feeling is really nice for a second. That is the only upside to periods imo.

e: I've never smelled that another lady was on her period either, I think maybe we all think it's stinkier than it actually is.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm so mad right now. I am a ball of fuckin spikes and anger. Day 35 and if it doesn't come soon I'm going to paint stripes on my face and go to war. I hate everything and everyone.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

This is fascinating. A youtube dress historian tests out 18th-century period clothing. Turns out it's not bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2TgwjjhOE

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

Different part of the anatomy but, since it shows up in women a lot more than in men: any other lovely-thyroid-havers in here? I have a follow-up appointment to hopefully start some kind of treatment for what looks like Hashimoto's in a week or two. Just had the sonogram of my throat today, and the woman asked me "have you had surgery on your thyroid before?" which is a VERY FUN question to be asked when the answer is "no." I asked why she said that, and she said that one half of my thyroid was so much smaller than the other that she thought maybe I'd had part of it removed.

Yeah, a few years back one of my parathyroid glands went apeshit and I had to have it, and half of my thyroid, removed. I just take thyroxine daily now and it's no big deal except my neck feels kinda empty if I poke around at it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Xun posted:

so thats the second month in the row I've had a sobbing, nervous breakdown right before my period starts. Thats uh.....fun??

Have a word with your doctor if you can? If you have PMDD coming on it's better to know.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Classic Comrade posted:

Spent yesterday morning crying over old irish folk songs and was crampy by the afternoon. welp! :toot:

Before that I also had nerve pain for about a week that made it difficult to sit down without an ice pack. I was going to go to a doctor about it (still am tbh even though it's gone) but once my period actually started it went away. Having an IUD also made that nerve pain happen before/during menstruation [I think on the sciatic nerve? the pain would run from my butt to my legs], but it went away for a long time once I got the IUD removed. Sigh. Having a uterus is full of fun surprises.

Yeah that sounds like sciatic pain. I find a hot water bottle at the base of my spine helps with it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

Surely there's enough horse piss to go around...?

There's actually been a shortage of most kinds of HRT here in the UK for a couple of years now. Super fun for us in pharmacies, more fun for the women who can't get their meds because HRT of any kind is still basically a punchline in the popular consciousness.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I genuinely have no idea where the shortage is coming from! Since it's lots of brands affected I'd hazard a guess it's a manufacturing issue but that's strictly a guess. They tell us nothing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Is there evidence for that pheromone thing? That's fascinating.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've only worn comfort bras for the last few years because they are cheap and they don't have wires or hooks or anything to drive me nuts. They seem to be working okay for my fairly big boobs but I guess they might not be enough support for some folk. I love em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

teen witch posted:

I’m having the worst cramps I’ve ever had with a period rn and the heating pad is helping but it’s like, needles and pressure. I’m also angry and screaming and AAAAAAAAAAAA

Like I feel like I’m thirteen unreasonably stressed and mad and loving aching. Holy poo poo what is the freak period

Since I passed 40 and entered into the exciting realm of the perimenopause my periods have gone loving apeshit like I'm 12 again. It sucks.