Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My right ovary is the hosed up one too. Regularly produces complex cysts and mittelsmirtches like a bitch.

Literally asked the ob to remove it and she was like no. gently caress you take it I don't want it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Period started last night and I had a dream about hr giger aliens and a chest burster.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've got a paragard IUD and I use a cup. I hated tampons because my period is really variable. Day 1 could be the red tide and day 2 will be nothing and day 3 will be back to massive clots so like... i could never match up the severity with the right flow range but cups just ignore that. There's no dryness involved and even on super heavy days I never need to deal with it mid work day. just morning, after work, before bed. I've tried a few different sizes, brands, styles. Started with a diva which was fine but ended up eventually with a lunette i think?

Anyway, yah. total cup evangelist. I never found a pad that didnt leak either so like. idk. Cups just feel magical.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Anyone else ever get the extreme smell sensitivity thing a few days after ovulation? Consistently happens to me and is so loving annoying.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

sootikins posted:

Did anyone else have an altered cycle after Pfizer vaccination/booster?

Mine was late and 2x longer than usual.

It's only the cycle directly after and then it's fine again.

I'll take this over an infection, mind, but it'd be nice to be mentally prepared for it.

Mine started cycling a week earlier starting from the first shot on and then kind of righted after a few months and then on my booster went off rails again and super heavy. I keep a tracker that I've had for years so it was fairly obvious.

Quite a few women reported it and so it's finally at least being investigated.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm starting in a few days and I went out and bought some chedder brats for the first time in like 10 years so yeah. Fuckin cravings.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
When I get the really bad pain that radiates down my leg it's usually when I've got a cyst that has gotten a bit big and is bout to pop.

It's only ever on the right side for me which I find fascinating.

The gyn told me the pain radiating thing is generally a sign of endo or cysts so you might wanna get that checked out.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Word of warning - don't take naproxen if you have acid reflux. that poo poo gave me a bleeding ulcer and ulcerated esophagus.

If your doctor is willing to call anything in for you, I think tramadol was the most effective fully legal painkiller i've ever taken for my ovarian cysts. Otherwise some heavy cbd painkiller if thats legal where you are.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I had one burst while I was laying on the floor on hour 2 of waiting in urgent care because I had a fever and was scared I had torsioned it by that point. When it popped I suddenly felt amazing relief. Still got worked up and ultrasounded and saw some other cysts and the fluid from the cyst that popped.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pyrtanis posted:

I've had good results with P Tracker, icon is a little red flower in a white square. I bought the premium one time payment thing because it was very useful and had places to document stuff, but I don't think it was required. The base thing has ads at the bottom, pretty unobtrusive. It's been a couple years though so I don't know if it got more aggressive, but give it a try!

This is the same one I have and I also paid for premium because it's legit a really good app. It's simple and it is clear and the widgets are good. Might be android only though

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Ever wake up from a dead sleep with just severely intense cramps mid period and evacuate everythin in yer bowels over the next 30 minutes or so in just intense loving pain?

cause that was my 6am to 6 30am today.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Ooh, I wonder if your uterus shed its full lining. That happened to me once, it was horrifying and I was so worried I needed to go to the ER for period diarrhea. After it finished and I was resting on the floor, I was so drenched in sweat that I started sliding eeeeeeeever so slightly on the bathroom tile like an air hockey puck; and that's how I learned the bathroom floor had a slight incline

Well. I emptied my cup later and it was probably the clottiest i'd ever seen it so maybe you are onto something.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

MACAW.AVI posted:

My week so far.

Relating super hard. Was feeling ultra down about my art and poo poo for a few days and then flo came early and it was like... oh yeah drat

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I hate that half the time in my period I feel like I have a uti but I'll piss on the test strips and it's not a uti. It's just some dumb period bullshit. Least the testers are cheap.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
You can find the urine testing strips on Amazon at like a pack of 30 for 20 bucks. Just get the individual wrapped ones bc they're only good for like 3 months after you break the seal on the bigger lab use ones.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I have my own raspberry plants that I dont spray so uh. Any idea if its older or new leaves that are best?

also better fresh or dried?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I pick the leaves that are still green, not going yellow, but smallish, if only to put them in my round food dehydrator easier. I dry them for long term storage, but you could make it fresh too. Got to dry them, and dry them well, otherwise they mold. A food dehydrator is the best, if you have it, but you can dry them in the oven too, although I've never tried that, there's methods online for that. Unless you live in an extremely dry climate though you need to artificially dry them. Then crunch them up once they are dry - I like using a mortar and pestle cause it makes feel like a witch (I also got some rose hips that same day and dried them up too). Store in a clean (make sure it's dry before you put the leaves in, cannot overstate the danger of mold) air tight glass jar.

Cool! I've got a dehydrator :) I buy fruit and such when it's on sale and dry what I grow for mushrooms sometimes. Appreciate the tip

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CherryCola posted:

Tired and feel like everyone hates me and just a general ominous feeling. Oh yeah my period is in two days. OBVIOUSLY.

Came here to post this. So loving exhausted. Also

"why did I just consider giving away my reliable coffee maker?"

I find that I hate things and clutter even more during the crimson wave.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
A guy I work with just said he was craving junk food and I said "aw we are synced up". He laughed.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Titanic posted:

Enjoying not having a period, and replacing it with hot flashes and an inability to sleep last night. Rolling with like 2 hours of sleep!

Every time im on my period I have extreme night sweats/hots and it sucks so bad.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
True that on the colon cancer screen. Cousin of mine who lives a very healthy vegetarian life ended up having stage 3 at age 35.

She put it in remission for 5 years, is fighting it again.

Worth making GBS threads your brains out for hours to catch it early.

Just found out my sister has probable breast cancer :( waiting on her biopsy results. Getting older is a whole new set of poo poo to worry about.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Add me into the count of people with garbage right ovaries. I've never once felt poo poo from lefty but righty is always up to no good. Cysts. Mittelschmerz. mystery cramps.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I hate the first 2 days of my period when its just like - im going to purge all the poo poo from your body and its going to feel like you are never going to stop making GBS threads.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Just an FYI

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/article/covid-19-can-interfere-with-your-period-in-many-ways-heres-how

It's finally been accepted that both having COVID and getting the vaccine gently caress with your period.

quote:

COVID-19 can interfere with your period in many ways. Here's how.
Physicians failed to warn women about the expected temporary disruptions to their periods after the vaccine, and the more significant issues after a severe bout of COVID-19.
(..)
From the beginning of the pandemic, women worldwide began noticing changes to their menstrual cycles. In some cases, this happened after contracting the virus; in others, after receiving a vaccine. With so many women recording their cycles in period-tracking apps, researchers have been able to more easily document the phenomenon.
(..)
“When COVID started we were worried about people dying, so other things were overlooked,” admits Hugh Taylor, chair of obstetrics and gynecology at Yale Medicine. In retrospect, Taylor says, women should have been alerted to this possibility. “We see irregular menstrual cycles with other acute infections, so it isn’t surprising it happens here.”

Poor messaging
Without research or reassurance from physicians, women were alarmed by the deviations in their periods, Taylor says, and for good reason: “We’ve been warning people for years that changes in a period might be a symptom of a hormonal imbalance, or even cancer.”

When girls and women noticed unexpected shifts in their cycle after receiving a COVID shot, some second-guessed their decision to get a vaccine, says Candace Tingen, a program director at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, which has awarded $1.67 million to five research institutions to study the issue.

Tingen points out that her institute has long emphasized the importance of menstrual cycles to health. “We talk about it as a fifth vital sign,” she says (the other four being body temperature, blood pressure, pulse, and respiration).

Most concerning to younger women was whether these changes could reduce fertility, Taylor says. It wasn’t until January that a study of 2,000 American couples published in the American Journal of Epidemiology resolved the question. Women trying to conceive who’d had the virus saw no decrease in fertility. Similarly, the COVID shot had no impact on conception rates.

Both virus and vaccine may temporarily alter menstruation
Scientists are still figuring out how many women have seen their menstrual cycles change, but it’s clear the numbers are substantial. In a study of 127 women of childbearing-age in Arizona who had contracted COVID, 16 percent reported some alteration; most common were irregular cycles or longer gaps between bleeds. These shifts were more likely in those whose infection involved more symptoms or was more severe (but not to the point of hospitalization).

In this study, women also had increases in the premenstrual syndrome symptoms of mood changes and fatigue. “We think of the menstrual period as an acute event that occurs for a few days, but hormones are changing throughout the entire cycle,” explains Leslie Farland, an epidemiology professor at the University of Arizona and the study’s principal investigator.

Researchers in other countries report even greater percentages of women suffered changes to their periods after contracting COVID. A United Kingdom survey found nearly half the women reported alterations, primarily in cycle length and increased PMS, as did 47 percent of women from Jordan and Iraq, according to another study from the Middle East.

A study on the vaccine’s effect funded by the National Institutes of Health published in January tracked 4,000 women from the U.S. who used one period tracking app. It found cycles shifted after the first shot, but only by an average of less than a day. Those whose second shot fell in the same cycle shifted by about two days, though in either case the length of bleeding wasn’t altered, says Alison Edelman, an obstetrician and gynecologist at Oregon Health and Science University and the study’s principal investigator. A second study by Edelman, of nearly 20,000 women in North America and Europe using the same app reported similar findings in September.

These slight changes occurred with all brands of the vaccines, and in most cases, they disappeared the following cycle. Still, 10 percent of the women saw their period shift by more than a week after either dose. However, these women were also back to normal soon after.

How does coronavirus change a period?
Exactly how the coronavirus or vaccine affects the menstrual cycle isn’t clear.

One hypothesis posits that COVID-19 may affect what’s known as the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis. To begin each monthly cycle, the hypothalamus gland signals the pituitary gland to secrete two hormones that together release an egg from the ovaries.

It’s possible the coronavirus affects the hypothalamus directly, Taylor says, but the body may also proactively decrease the activity of these glands if the virus is detected. “This has evolutionary advantages, because you don’t want to get pregnant when you’re fighting off a physical stressor, which could be an illness or malnutrition or the like,” he explains.

Alternatively, the immune system engaged in fighting the virus could alter the normal inflammatory response of the uterine lining (endometrium) during the cycle, researchers recently suggested in the International Journal of Epidemiology. This may be why people who experienced a more intense bout of COVID—indicating a higher viral load and more immune activity—have higher rates of menstrual changes, as the University of Arizona study found.

That was the case for Annette Gillaspie, a 41-year-old registered nurse in Hillsboro, Oregon, who contracted COVID and was extremely ill for more than two weeks. She now has long COVID symptoms, including a fluctuating heart rate and fatigue so extreme a shower can send her to bed for days. Her periods are so unusually long and heavy—gushing for almost two weeks some months—that Gillaspie had a hormonal intrauterine device inserted. So far, it hasn’t reduced her bleeding, and if she doesn’t improve within a few months, she’ll likely have a hysterectomy.

Vaccines trigger more minor shifts
Vaccines trigger the body’s immune system response, albeit a smaller one than the disease, so the same mechanisms could be involved in their temporary menstrual cycle disruptions, Tingen says.

Disseminating this reassuring information to women so they know to expect this possible side effect is an important public health task, Tingen says.

Anyone whose cycle remains significantly altered for several months, however, should check with their healthcare provider, Taylor says. “My suspicion is that people on the cusp of a medical condition—thyroid abnormalities, hormonal irregularities, bleeding from fibroids—might be pushed over the edge” by the coronavirus or COVID vaccine.

Edelman hopes this will be a teaching moment for her profession. “Menstrual health has been woefully understudied, not just in vaccine trials but in almost every area of research,” she says. “Yet half the population will, does, or has menstruated, and this routine biological function has meaning for the individual and for science.”

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 28, 2022

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

YeahTubaMike posted:

drat you, paywall!

Sorry. Added in the article.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CherryCola posted:

Ever had a clot so intense you almost take a picture of it?

I once had a clot clog a bathtub drain. like it was already a little slow I guess and the clot was the final straw. Ended up having to use some drain cleaner.
I was both horrified and impressed.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Killingyouguy! posted:

Only somewhat relevant but drat I wish I didn't get a UTI if I so much as breathe wrong

And every time I go in for antibiotics they imply I don't wash like yes I do all the hygiene poo poo I'm supposed to. It doesn't loving help

Same. I bought a ton of the cheap amazon dip strip tests to figure out if my piss discomfort is a UTI, a big UTI or just my underwear rubbin weird or my period making my lady bits more acidic and painful.

My doc told me that some women are just way more prone to them due to shape so im sorry that your doctor is a shithead.

I mostly just drink a ton of water and cranberry pills every month around that time and it mostly does an ok job preventing everything.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Killingyouguy! posted:

Amazon link? Are the strips difficult to read? There's a whole bunch of different colours on them right?

These are the ones I bought. They have an app with timers and so you can take pics for historical reference etc.

URINOX 10 Wellness Urine Test Strips for UTI, Ketone and More (30 Pack) https://a.co/d/9iCvy0W

Side note I used to work in a vets office and ran a lot of lab tests using dumb test strips just like this so I didn't really have any concerns about doing it.

I just pee into a sólo cup - very nice bc it's big so low risk for missing and then dip it and set it on some toilet paper to time it. Very straight forward operation. They come with a paper reference for color matching and what each color means.

A lot of times you can clear a uti by going ham on drinking water and using some azos for a few days and just use test strips daily to see if it's clearing. If it doesn't start to clear then call a doc for antibiotics.

Ymmv and I'm not a doctor but it's what I do.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
yeah i've always experienced the rush of blood in the morning. i just figure it uh sits there gathering and gotta squeeze squeeze and waddle.

menstrual cups rock tho and i dont have a problem as long as thats in

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Oh, you haven't heard? Period flu is a thing. So if regular PMS and PMDD aren't your cup of tea, you can just be hit with flu-like symptoms for a couple of days or weeks instead

lol this describes exactly what I go through but I also can't take hormonal BC because it all makes me suicidal so i just get to suffer.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rust Martialis posted:

I play too many space games because I thought "what's a hormonal battlecruiser?" there

I mean, tbf my body is a battlecruiser.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rust Martialis posted:

You got oversize guns on a cruiser hull?

When I was weight lifting regularly my guns were amazing.

:sigh:

I need to get back to that. It felt great.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My period is coming on because like clockwork I start crying at inspirational cat rescue videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO9d2PpP7tQ

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Love it when my cramps are so bad in my sleep that I dream I'm getting stabbed.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My depression always got way the gently caress worse and as I progressively stepped down hormones from the pill, nuvaring and then finally paragard copper IUD I finally got a ton of relief from it.

I never made the connection that I got significantly more depressed when I started the pill at 15 and just had chalked it up to home life and standard hormones.

Dont get me wrong, I still had major depression but the criticality and waviness of it went down.

Like most thing involving womens bodys - doctors are just utter loving poo poo about making connections to hormones and mental health.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
p tracker deluxe really rocks and it doesn't sync anything outside your phone so no icky possibilities of some nasty local gov subpoenaing your data

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Just hit the random period lotto of extreme bowel clearing cramps.

Cursed.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

zimbomonkey posted:

My wife just started on birth control last month (the pill) and her first period has a lot of huge clots and been very painful. I've heard that's not normal for the pill. Does anyone have experience with this? She has a bad family history of uterine problems and I'm hoping this isn't a sign that something more serious is happening.

The stupid thing that doesn't get emphasized enough is that hormones affect everyone differently and there were some brands of the pill that made me nauseated, some that made me bleed horrifically, some that made my cramps worse, some that made my cramps better. The general advice is to try one for a few months and if it keeps being really bad then ask your doctor to switch you. Its possible that your wife might want to look at nuvaring or the patch. The Pill isn't just "the pill" either - there's like what 20 different formulations on the market? more?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I have a cyst in my breast that was officially cleared as not cancer yay! and it actually obnoxiously hurts though and I'm about to start my period and I am deeply displeased that its hurting more and when the gently caress will this thing just like reabsorb into my body or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The current advice from my doctor is "its small enough that it ~ should ~ reabsorb over time but if it starts to get noticeably bigger or changes in firmness call us and make another appointment" at which point i assume an aspiration or surgery.

It's already been hurting for at least 4 months now though.