Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Nexplanon made me the most depressed I've ever been in my life. It was suggested as an option for me when I was looking for something to help with unwanted hair from PCOS (it didn't help). I only even realised it was the implant's fault once I'd had it long enough that it started to wear out and stop working. I did go from totally unpredictable to regular periods though and that was convenient if nothing else. My libido completely died and still hasn't really recovered, I half wonder if they leave that side effect in on purpose, like if you're not making babies you don't get to enjoy sex at all.

Right now I think my gross lumpy pcos ovaries are arguing over who is in charge of eggs, I'm pretty sure I'm having a period every 2 weeks, or maybe every 3 and I can feel it alternates from side to side. Unexpectedly stained my pants even though I have a face full of pimples, sore tits and mood swings, I guess I was in denial or something even with all the signs there. I even shat water earlier this week and that really should have clued me in.

I'm going to look into the nuvaring I think oh wait not recommended for people with gall bladder disease? But why? What if I already had mine out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Mesimean posted:

I'm having a nightmare of a period at the moment. So much so that I've got a doctor appointment monday morning. It started on the 14th in a grand explosion of activity. Alright, I haven't had a proper one in years, and they used to be very heavy to start and then a day or two later they calm down to nothing. It's now the 25th. It is still going strong and heavy. I've been emptying my mooncup every two hours for the last ten days, even through the night, and I'm still bleeding all over the place. With my terrible maths I've lost around a litre of blood and lining and whatever the heck is up there. It shows no sign of stopping. I'm so tired. I'm super pale and my lips keeps getting a blue tinge to them every so often. I feel dead.

Once this is over I never want to bleed again!

I hope you're okay!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I'm four days in to a week late period and at this point I haven't produced enough blackberry jam to spread on half a slice of toast. My last period was a one day brown smear waste of time and instead of the usual hormonal acne going away it kept going until day 2 of this one. I'm starting to wonder what menopause is like, I have no idea if that's what this might be or if this is just PCOS shenanigans.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I used to get UTIs almost constantly, went through the "how to wipe" lecture, the "pee after sex" lecture, nothing helped until I realised (by myself) that I had to sit on the toilet and wait 5 more minutes after peeing and I'd magically be able to pee the REST of the pee that had previously been festering in my bladder causing issues. Pee #2 is often even bigger than pee #1 too. Not sure how or why that happened but getting ALL the pee out made the UTIs stop entirely.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've tried three different cups, the UK moon cup, a Luna cup and a diva cup. I've found the firmer moon cup suits me best (once I worked out how far to jam it up). If the cup sits too low, the rim presses against my urethra and is super irritating. The softer cups don't have that problem but I have a hard time getting them out - they suction too well. With the firmer cup I can hook my finger into the side, and release the suction at the same time as scooping the cup out. I'm betting everyone will have different techniques and body shapes and comfort preferences and it's worth trying a few different cup styles to find one that fits and works, the convenience is well worth it. There are a few different techniques for getting the cup to go in easily, I tend to push down one edge then pinch the sides which gives me a nice taper. Once the cup is in it springs open again. It feels like there is no way for the cup to overflow, it's like a cork until I pull it out. I don't know if the same is true in every situation since I haven't had kids and I don't know how much difference that makes.

The best part about cups to me is the smell. It just doesn't smell the way pads or tampons do. It barely smells at all and what smell there is smells "fresh" if that makes sense.

Edit: I feel like I didn't explain that right - it's just so positive for me not feeling revulsion or disgust at something I pulled out of my body or at something that is in my pants that I have to deal with. It becomes more like my washing hands after cooking than dealing with some shameful toxic biohazard.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 22, 2020

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think they prefer if its not the same time since it's just more cells to sort through looking for a good representative sample. Cross fingers your appointment is earlier than the actual start but I'm sure they'll be understanding either way.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Equeen posted:

Hi everyone, has anyone iit gone thru fibroid removal surgery? I have 3 big ones (two 8 cm. and one 5 cm.), which lead to the surgen who wile perform the operation stating I will need to stay at least one night in the hospital to recover. I'm kind of anxious about this since this is my first surgery (I'm 28), and I'm dealing with another big event in my life (finally moving out of my parents' house).

I just want to fast foward past the surgery and get to the part where I have a slightly slimmer belly lol

I had my gallbladder out via keyhole so if you are getting laproscopy I am guessing it will be kind of similar, at least for the part where they cut holes in you to get inside. My surgery experience was pretty nice, the people at the hospital really made sure I was comfortable going in and because keyhole surgery minimises trauma to the body I didn't need pain relief at all after. From what I can see fibroid surgery is regularly done via keyhole so I hope that's the method they use for you.

I had two big holes and two little holes done but they were pretty much just under 1 inch holes and 1/4 inch holes and they were healed shut within a week. I had water proof patches on them so I was able to shower like normal - I had to switch to non-allergic ones because my skin had a reaction to the adhesive in the ones the hospital put on me. The very worst part for me was waking up from the surgery, I woke up in a great mood but feeling really sick and it was a couple of hours and one puke before that wore off. It took me a long time to shake the mental fog from anaesthesia, maybe 4 or 5 days and I spent a lot of that time sleeping it off - the younger you are the easier it is for your body to deal with surgery so maybe it won't be like that for you. Sleeping and giving yourself time to rest does make it go quite fast though! I think I had more pain from a sore throat from where the airway tube was than I did from my surgery sites too, so maybe make sure you have something at hand to deal with that.

The main thing to make it all go smoothly was to make sure I got all my major chores done and set everything up how I want it before going into surgery, since after I couldn't lift anything for a while ie do laundry or vacuum, and chances are you won't feel like cooking so if you can premake and freeze some meals to warm up or get someone to fuss over you for that first week you'll be fine and it will all start going back to normal sooner than you expect.

Sorry I can't give you specific info about fibroids!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Spent last week feeling bleak and doing nothing, spent this week getting heaps of chores done while ugly-crying and watching someone play through Hollow Knight. Boobs weren't sore at all, only one small chin zit, never saw it coming. Thanks, hormones! Edit (the crying is because Hollow Knight is sad in parts)

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Post pfizer period: didn't see it coming despite the zits, sore tits and grim mood. It's two weeks early!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I was cleaning out a drawer and found my lunette and diva cup that I don't use (pretty much only ever use my moon cup). Thought to myself, these are cool colours wonder why I stopped using them? And when my period started I went with the lunette instead. Turns out I don't use them because for whatever reason I can't get them to break suction and can't get them out. I had a half hour long battle with my lunette which I ended needing to lube everything up with oil and use a long thin implement to help lever it out while pulling the bottom of the cup with my other hand. The Moon cup is just slightly more rigid so it breaks suction easily and I can get it out with one finger and no effort at all. I do have short fingers which was part of the problem.

I guess my point is despite visual similarities there are a lot of differences between cups so if the first one doesn't quite suit you, try again with a different brand. Also probably make sure not to stuff them right up so that you get a hickey on your cervix trying to pull it out.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Passed a lump of clot/tissue today in the shower that looked a lot like the silhouette of a lion running as it washed down the drain.

I really only bleed on the first day or two, the rest of the time it’s clumps and chunks of gellified gunk or sheets of peeled grey tissue, and extremely ropy clearish brown mucus, which is very satisfying to grab the edge off and pull out in one piece. None of that poo poo would ever soak into a tampon and that is the main reason I love my moon cup so much.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I had heaps of problems with UTIs until I realised I wasn't fully emptying my bladder each time. I've never actually been diagnosed with anything but apparently my aunt has, some kind of urine retention or bladder spasm or who knows, but resulting in incomplete bladder emptying. For her, she had a full 100ml of urine still left after each time. If you always leave that last little bit of pee stewing away it grows some nasty stuff. I find if I wait for another 5 mins after I pee sometimes it's like I have a whole new extra pee to do and since I've been diligent about peeing ALL of the pee, the UTIs have stopped. If it makes you feel better, back when I was struggling with UTIs the (female) doctor said to me "What have you been doing to yourself to cause this?" like I'd been humping a pile of turds or something. You know, instead of actually investigating a real cause. Being on antibiotics all the time used to give me diarrhea AND thrush. UTI solidarity, I hope you work something out for yours.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I love my moon cup but I don't love when I pull the cup out, it's mostly empty, I assume the worst is over and then later a stretchy cup shaped wad of clot stained brown mucus and blood slides half out and I have to yoink the rest out manually.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've been having hot flushes and anxiety waves and thought maybe my thyroid was acting up again but now I have a different theory. Last period was 2 days early and I didn't think much of it. It's been clockwork every 4 weeks ever since implanon years ago, even after it wore out. So a little late or early didn't seem to matter because the next one was still regular. Well this period is 3 days early from if I counted the usual time from the previous early one, so it's accelerated twice in a row. I don't know anything about menopause but could this be it starting? I'm mid forties.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I had the last 2 periods each come a week early (both were fairly sad short affairs barely lasting 2 days) and marked google calendar as such trying to keep track of what was going to happen. Then last week when I was due, nothing. Just hormonal mood fuckery. Yesterday morning I took my bra off for bed and my boobs kind of went BADOIING out, feeling huge and sore out of nowhere and I knew it wouldn’t be long. Work up with a face full of pimples and blood in my pants. Wonder if one of my ovaries is doing 3 weeks now and the other one still does 4 weeks? This period did line up with one of the old ones as it was already there on the calendar, I have to write “expecting” and “actual” so I have a record of where to count from. I used to be able to feel the mid cycle pang and tell if it was left or right but that has not happened for a long time.

Finger slipped when I was taking my cup out and I lost grip, the cup fully opened half way out and I managed to give myself a painful slurp trying to get it unstuck. I love my rigid moon cup over the soft squishy Luna cups because it’s usually so much easier to get in and out but I do wonder sometimes if my technique is completely wrong. Actually I don’t think I’ve smelled my own blood at all since I started using cups and washable pads, even when it was crusty brown old dregs or super fresh runny red blood.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I thought you still ovulate, but the egg gets yeeted and/or can't stick to anything? It's birth control not ovulation control. Edit to add: that's if you use the pill the way you've described, with the break period. It's possible to chain pill and not ovulate but that might not suit your situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Roleplaying Dad posted:

I got a nexplanon implant like six weeks ago. It's annoying, but not constant or all that bad. But then today I started a period. I hope this is just the "tapering off" phase.

I went from erratic unpredictable periods to total clockwork regular on nexplanon, I didn’t really know what to expect. It was over a decade ago and they stayed regular despite me not opting for a new nexplanon when mine wore out due to the horrible depression it gave me. I’ve got high T from PCOS so I think there was some kind of hormone war going on, I hope you have a better experience than me!