Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
CSPAM,

you know how, if you work in a state with income taxes and live in a state without one, you’re able to deduct these from your liability when you file in tax season?

Well, several companies in MA decided to change everyone to “remote workers” to give people in N.H. a break and make tax season easier.

Not only did MA pass a law saying you can’t do this, but they’re also saying you can’t deduct these days on your taxes next year.

NH is close to filing suit about this, because 85k people are potentially effected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ok

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

CSPAM,

you know how, if you work in a state with income taxes and live in a state without one, you’re able to deduct these from your liability when you file in tax season?

Well, several companies in MA decided to change everyone to “remote workers” to give people in N.H. a break and make tax season easier.

Not only did MA pass a law saying you can’t do this, but they’re also saying you can’t deduct these days on your taxes next year.

NH is close to filing suit about this, because 85k people are potentially effected.

:qq: Mah tax avoidance scheme has been foiled! Curse you, Massachusetts! :argh:

Seriously, just make your reporting office state NH, NV, FL, SD, TX, WY, AK, WA or TN (the states that either have no income tax at all or don't tax earned income) if you want to avoid the telecommuter rule. *taps head*

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Hey Pillowpants good to see you again buddy, how did your meeting go?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I don't have to worry about state income taxes since I live in Florida.

The downside is I live in Florida.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

forced remote work sucks and is anti-worker unless your employer gives you money to rent and furnish another place that is not your house.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
i like working from home because now instead of eating lunch in my office i can use that hour to take a nap on the couch

that's on days where i'm not watching my kids all day, then it sucks

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Nastier Nate posted:

i like working from home because now instead of eating lunch in my office i can use that hour to take a nap on the couch

that's on days where i'm not watching my kids all day, then it sucks

it’s nice you can afford to live somewhere that is conducive to working or even wanting to be there, but you should still get paid more imo.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

mawarannahr posted:

it’s nice you can afford to live somewhere that is conducive to working or even wanting to be there, but you should still get paid more imo.

probably, but our upper management just extended a bunch of employee furloughs so they've essentially scared everyone else into being thankful we have a job at all as they scatter all the furloughed employee's responsibilities among other workers

i'm pretty sure they could bring them all back at no extra cost if they did a modest paycut for everyone making 6 figures but for some strange reason that hasn't happened yet

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

Hey Pillowpants good to see you again buddy, how did your meeting go?

Fantastic. Thanks

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Pillowpants posted:

Fantastic. Thanks

Your fans back in D&D are very desperate for an update on your investigation. Do you think Mueller will give you the scoop on when they're planning to perp walk Trump out of the White House?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The place where I work has 110 confirmed CV cases so far so I'm glad not be working onsite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mawarannahr posted:

forced remote work sucks and is anti-worker unless your employer gives you money to rent and furnish another place that is not your house.

There was a while back there were a lot of jobs being posted here for work from home call centre jobs. Which honestly kind of sounded fine at first, I'd done plenty call centre work where I was spending 3 hours per day commuting and it was driving me bonkers. But then look into it and they are all "you need to provide your own computer and phone line and they both have to be dedicated exclusively for work" and then you need to buy your headset and for a job that paid £9 an hour you're looking at a spare room, a spare computer, extra line rental, all for a barely above minimum wage gig. And with only something like 20 guaranteed hours a week, plus maybe more ot maybe not why would I know I'm just the employer?

Absolutely rotten swindle. Not having to commute would rule but all the rest of it can gently caress right off, you can buy me a computer if you want me using a dedicated computer for your poo poo pay job

Meanwhile they are saving on office space, saving on equipment, on staff like cleaners and security, saving on even little things like subsidised canteen. Just abysmal from the workers perspective and I'm assuming even chatting to colleagues to organise a union would be near impossible in the virtual office

forkboy84 has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Aug 10, 2020