Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Here's a question: Did all the Scions just ditch the aetherspecs once Y'shtola could see aether naturally? :v: I don't think they've been used since super early Heavensward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I know I'm not the first to make this joke but I put in the effort of Photoshopping it so:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

How did Loisoix become tempered if he had also become a Primal? Can Primals temper other Primals?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Anyone else think the Sharlayan council is going to attempt another Council of 13 thing and try to summon a mega-primal to fix the planet?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Only semi related but I think the thing under Silvertear Lake will end up being Hydaelyn's physical form of some sort.

This is a to more wild crackpot theory that I hardly hold any weight in myself, but I wonder if this might go the Chains of Promathia route of (FFXI expansion spoilers) Hydaelyn's actions serving to save Zodiark somehow, much like how Altana split the mothercrystal and thus destroyed Paradise and created an imperfect world and mortal species to house Promathia's essence in order to prevent his complete death..

Also I was surprised to hear CoP's writer was the one in charge of 1.0's story.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I think the most noteworthy thing about the 'what's under Silvertear Lake' mystery, and the thing that has to be considered a lot more than people actually do, is that it hasn't been mentioned a single time since A Realm Reborn launched.

I'm serious about how important this is to consider. If this was something important they intended to pay off, they would have built it up. 'Hydaelyn is this mystery presence from 1.0 lore' would be a huge long-awaited reveal to turbonerds like us who actually retain knowledge of a dead game you can't play anymore, but remember we aren't exactly the core audience being written for. To that core audience that's not a long-dead mystery, that's not even a question they're asking, because 'what's under Silvertear Lake' has been a dead plot thread for likely much longer than they've been playing. The mystery has been dead ever since Yoshi-P took the reins of the game, and I think if he was interested in pursuing that, there would be setup, there would be reinstatement of the facts so that people can both learn them in the first place and trust they're still being adhered to. FFXIV trusts us to have a long memory, but 1.0 content still demands reminders.

That doesn't mean the question of 'what's under Silvertear' can't be asked, it just means that it has to be answered with adherence to the knowledge that the question hasn't been asked since 1.0 shut down. So either that mystery was solved in-universe and we just weren't told, or the mystery just isn't earth-shakingly integral and is worth letting fall into the background that hard.

True. I don't think it's explicitly stated, but I recall Midgardsormr mentioning protecting something. Also the entity that appeared to us at the end of 5.58 that is suspected to be Venat appeared to us on the shore of Silvertear.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Could also be where Estinien meets Vrtra. Unless Vrtra has come up before?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

What is the true name of the planet? We know Hydaelyn was summoned as a Primal to counteract Zodiark, but was she named after the planet, or was the planet renamed post-sundering?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

Every time someone says "this star" I can hear Tom Servo yelling "IT'S A PLANET!"

Anyway, have we gotten any clue on how we're going to get to the moon? I'm sort of hoping Cid just builds us a Saturn 5, complete with a minigame to make the trip without an unplanned lithobreak.

(I had a brief period messing around with KSP last year, if you couldn't tell).

Didn't they show off a crashed Garlean ship on the moon in the zone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unu9dXOtWgQ

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Bruceski posted:

This gets into a whole philosophy of self thing, but Exarch G'Raha isn't the same as Sleeper G'Raha. Exarch was dying from relying on the Tower for so long and was looking for a suitably dramatic way to go out. First it was by being the "villan" to dispose of the excess light, then by sacrificing his soul to pass his memories onto the Sleeper, and finally by his actions against Elidibus which coincidentally let the memory-swapping thing still happen. It was cheesy and dramatic and everything he hoped it would be, but it was still a sacrifice and a person's death.

Sleeper G'Raha back on the source has all of the Exarch's memories, but isn't the same person.

Wasn't the crystal made to explicitly transfer the soul? I think the current G'Raha is no longer Sleeping or Exarch, but a merged soul of both.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

For the Scions yes as they are just Souls in the first place. The Exarch explicitly did NOT transfer his soul, only his memories.

When does it say that? I thought one of the worries they had that the soul wouldn't take, and that Sleeper G'raha would reject it or something. It's been a few months since I last watched the cutscenes so I could be wrong.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

....Does G'raha have as dense a soul of the unsundered? 7 from Sleeper, 8 from Exarch :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

Is there a lore explanation for how linkshells work? The in-ear phone we have. It's obviously some sort of magic yet it's susceptible to eavesdropping and jamming.

There really wasn't any even in FFXI.

Final Fantasy Wiki posted:

Linkpearls are little more than an under-explained gameplay feature, and the manners by which they receive and convey speech are unclear. An NPC can be met in Jeuno who speaks aloud over a linkpearl as though it were a cell phone, but adventurers' words are not heard by those around them. Their range is seemingly infinite, spanning even across time and whole dimensions. Members in the main areas of Vana'diel can hear clearly from members in the past areas and in other dimensions like Dynamis and Abyssea.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Pretty sure it was explained that regular Ascians can only possess corpses, while Unsundered can possess living people as well.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Hydaelyn isn't going to die outright, but will become mortal(-ish, maybe, or at least just be stuck in a physical form). Zodiark will sacrifice himself to bring back the people who sacrificed themselves to make him.

They will figure out a way to "rejoin" the worlds while keeping them separate still somehow, maybe by combining their aethereal seas.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I wonder if the floating islands is an area built by the ancients that survived the sundering on the Source.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

a cartoon duck posted:

maybe i have like goon voice deafness or whatever, but was that line by fandaniel? it didn't really sound like his voice to me

I think I do have it but I also don't think it sounds much like him. I also wonder whose voice it was talking about "let me relieve you of your burden"

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Personally I think the Reaper voidsent we bond with is gonna be our shard from the 13th, not only because it could be used to justify why we can master RPR better than NPCs but also because it tracks with the WoL's habit of collecting parts of themselves. Also Frey vs Voidsent shipping wars.

Unless Cylva is the 13th's version of the WoL :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

So how come Zodiark tempers but Hydaelyn doesn't? Does she grant the Echo or just the Blessing of Light?! Which is responsible for our resistance to tempering??

I feel like these have been somewhat answered but I can't remember the details.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

How global was the 7th Calamity? It seems like most of Bahamut's damage was to Eorzea, is that really enough chaos to absorb an entire alternate dimensional planet?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Emet needs to stay dead. That's my only take.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Pretty sure it's straight out of FF11

Yep, they're also in Amh Araeng I believe.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

5th zone MSQ spoilers:

Do Azem's pronouns change based on your WoL's gender?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

(Post MSQ) I can't believe every other character in existence stopped by to say hello but not my no. 1 boy gosetsu. He'd better come back for one of emet's expansion pitches :argh:

Hope this isn't too much of a spoiler but do the Ranged DPS role quest.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think rejoining the worlds, even safely, sounds awful. Just uproot thousands of years of cultures, traditions, and lifestyles and make everyone deal with some giant combined megaworld.

Bring the entire planets into this dimension, have them orbiting in the sky so we can (Lv 89 MSQ spoilers) get to them in the Ragnarok :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I am just glad they finally told us (level 86 I think? 5th zone) the true name of the planet. :v: People in the thread were speculating that they didn't really have a name for it but I felt that was kind of BS.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

(MSQ spoilers, subset spoilers: BRD ~60 spoilers, I haven't gotten further) You know, I wonder how the BRD quest giver would react knowing there's an actual Song of Oblivion that's causing the end of the world. :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

Considering that Endwalker was meant to wrap up the Zodiark-Hydaelyn storyline I don't think we're gonna be doing time travel for more Ascian bullshit in the MSQ any time soon.

[continuing complete MSQ spoilers] True, but I agree about how people are saying we should get a spinoff game/content about the adventures of Emet, Hythlodaeus, Venat, and Azem :v: Not content I need to see but it would be a nice little jaunt.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Is the 87 dungeon music a direct reference to something? It has a very distinct "90s fantasy game" feel.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

My only real complaint is (overall MSQ feelings) I feel we could have made better arguments for living. Just came across the image now which made me think of Endwalker and I don't think any of the Scions really drove the passion that this post had:

"Do you think a book begins just to finish?" is a great metaphor that I feel wasn't really presented as an argument that well.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I mean, there's at least one person here today who's only completed zone 5, so it's clear that not everyone is done done.

Yeah, I feel like the congestion is impeding a lot of progress so probably better to keep the tags.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Doesn’t only the Source have a moon?

Nope, I was doing the role quest capstone in Shadowbringers last night and specifically noticed the moon on the First.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Zeruel posted:

How much physical area was sundered? What was involved in the sundering, aside from Hydaelin doing the Big Steppy on Zodiark on Etheriys and then she put him in the moon, right? Could that moon be shared across all of the reflections? (not really but it would be funny.)

Honestly I would love if this was the key to travel to the Source, just have go to to the moon and back. :v: Now the problem is getting back to their respective shards.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Let us live on the moon, YoshiP

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know. Elidibus tells you that you can't change the past when he sends you back. (The journal even refers to it as 'forewarning' you.) It isn't a case of can/shouldn't but literally can't. It isn't until you get an Aether infusion that you're able to interact with the past because they took your insubstantial shade and made it solid. I don't think we're supposed to take it as the same as G'raha since G'raha was using Alexander and Omega and all sorts of poo poo and we specifically shut down Alexander.

He definitely says that if you change it too much you'll be stranded.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Spinoff Elpis dating sim.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Begemot posted:

Moenbryda's death was weird and lame, imo. It did lead to that good scene in EW, but for the most part it was a waste of a potentially interesting character, and is a good example of why killing characters to establish stakes is a dumb concept.

Honestly I feel like the FFXIV writers know this now too, which is why there was that much about her in EW.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Saw this brought up in a Discord, but man the Tank role quests don't really seem to deal with underlying issues like the Ranged DPS and Healer ones did. It's entirely the Elementals' fault for stripping the kid of his horns and causing him despair, but they completely gloss over that.

I really hope that's one of the loose ends tied up in either the 6.x storylines or maybe in a future expansion.

Also let Ken-E become a freespirited adventurer like she dreamed of instead of being forced into a life of servitude.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I still wish they would've kept called it Akasa. Feels like they dropped that ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

(89 trial)

Kazy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 17, 2021