Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Do you think it's possible that the spell that reverses tempering, or one derived/adapted from it, could be used to bring an auspice that's been consumed by their aramitama back to their senses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

If only like they could have shown Kan-E or someone holding us back from Renegading Daddy Leveilleur

If only like they could have shown us or someone holding Kan-E back from kneecapping Daddy Leveilleur

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

This thread has become the Monty Python dead parrot sketch, and Chillgamesh is the shopkeeper trying to convince the rest of us that Emet-Selch is "just resting."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly, given what little we've seen of Sharlayans and how hidebound and conservative their government is, I'm surprised that Lyse didn't wind up being murdered in a dark alleyway somewhere for impersonating an Archon.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Amon was very clearly Emet-Selch, because Amon's armor set that drops from the Crystal Tower is used by the three jobs that care about the two things Emet-Selch cares about - Bard, Dancer (performing arts) and Machinist (GUN).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Itzena posted:

Was honestly expecting "A long fall"

https://twitter.com/Hyskari/status/1236787256238542848

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Jetrauben posted:

Also, Azem may not have been involved with Zodiark's creation at all; it is entirely possible our response to the crisis of the Final Days was our characteristic "I'maPUNCH IT!"

Yeah, my read of the situation was that Azem walked out on the Convocation even before the first Zodiark summoning, which is why the Hydaelyn faction tried to reach out to them after the second one.

Jetrauben posted:

Of course, we may also have tried to punch it and lost.

Also extremely probable; in fact, that might be why the Hydaelyn faction was unable to get a response from Azem when they tried to contact them... because they were already dead.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 1, 2021

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

There are six eyes from three dragons in play here.
Ratatoskr -- both eyes eaten by Thordan and the Knights.
Nidhogg -- Tried to fight Thordan, beaten and both eyes taken, kept by Ishgard as relics/trophies. One public (or at least more public), one entombed with Thordan as a secret kept by the Holy See.
Hraesvalgr -- convinced to give one eye to Nidhogg when he awoke recently, later gave one to the WoL (who gave it back).

I can't remember if something explicitly happened to Hraesvalgr's Nidhogg-eye (Nidhogg's Hraesvalgr-eye? Either way sounds wrong) when we beat him in the Aery.

We take the eye back to Hraesvalgr to question him about it, at which point it returns to his empty eye socket, and stays there until he loans it to us at the Final Steps of Faith.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Louisoix tried to reseal Bahamut, failed, used the collective prayers for salvation of Eorzea's inhabitants to embody the primal Phoenix, dealt Bahamut a mortal blow, then tried to disperse the aether back into the land. Unfortunately, being mortally wounded isn't the same thing as being dead, so Bahamut was able to temper Louisoix, and then both of them got dragged into the Binding Coils by the systems in what was left of Dalamud to begin reconstituting Bahamut's form.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Gungunblade.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Sorry... the dreamer?

Beauty's Wicked Wiles posted:

Night.
Embrace Her worldly delights, tonight

In time you shall follow
In time you shall follow
Behold as our burdens come set with the sun

Tonight.
Step from the dark to the light, tonight

Rise high, high above our rivals
Spread our wings
Spread them wide
Let them guide
Hereby free to ever slumber
Open the door
Close our eyes
We are the dreamers

Fire.
Born of the flames of desire. This fire

Give in to the hunger
Give in to the hunger
Cast off inhibition, let passion run wild

Desire.
Fuel the unquenchable fire. Desire.

Rise high, high above your rivals
Spread your wings
Spread them wide
You needn't hide
Hereby free to ever slumber
Open the door
Close your eyes
You are the dreamer

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Amon was very clearly Emet-Selch, because Amon's armor set that drops from the Crystal Tower is used by the three jobs that care about the two things Emet-Selch cares about - Bard, Dancer (performing arts) and Machinist (GUN).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Odd thought occurred to me today. The Lunar primals we've seen so far are implied to have been summoned by their followers imprisoned in the towers. Lunar Ifrit is being summoned by the captive Amalj'aa, Lunar Ravana by captured Gnath, Lunar Bahamut by Meracydian dragons...

So who is summoning Lunar Odin? OG Odin is one of the weapons from the Baldesion Arsenal that Eureka created. As far as I'm aware (I haven't finished Eureka's storyline yet, currently stuck in Pagos), Odin shouldn't have or even need any active worshippers to summon and sustain him.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The Moon is literally Zodiark's prison. haunted

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Important to remember that pig lasers only work on the early to mid stages of tempering. Once you're so far gone that you don't have your original body anymore, you're un-piglaserable.

Not a problem, it just means we gotta figure out a way to combine the porxie beams with the spell from the level 80 Scholar quest that can reverse physical transformations (which in turn was based off Ronkan magic from the First as well).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

Yeah having done Void Ark / Scholar job quests it's pretty obvious that the towers look Mhachi, but none of the major NPCs except maybe the Scions (academically) and maybe Kan-E-Senna know anything about Mhach. If I didn't know better, and then a big tower suddenly appeared while I was at war with the Garleans, was being protected by Garleans, and was making vague ominous wom wom wom sounds like Garlean tech tends to do, I'd probably assume it was of Garlean make and function too.

Don't forget that the first scouts who got close to them and returned were tempered into becoming fanatically loyal to Garlemald!

Clearly, Mhachi in origin.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Technically we do have one other example of an unsundered having kids with Midgardsormr and his brood, but dragons are asexual so it's hardly relevant anyway :v:

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also Midgardsormr was bringing his children with him from his home planet, either as eggs or smol babies attached to his wings.

This actually reminds me of something I've been wondering about.

Midgardsormr and his seven children that he brought with him to Hydaelyn from the Dragon Star presumably had souls that were from that planet's Lifestream. But their respective broods were all sired on Hydaelyn, meaning their souls should be native to this planet's lifestream, not the Dragon Star's.

Does that mean it's possible for a dragon born to one of those broods to have the Echo?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Moenbryda needed to enter the plot a lot sooner than she did so that her death would have more weight and felt like more of an emotional gut punch as a character we've had the chance to get to know and grow closer to died instead of it feeling like a celebrity guest star joining the cast of CSI: Eorzea just so they can die one episode later.

Have her show up accompanying Alphinaud when he tracks us down at the church in Camp Drybone after the attack on the Waking Sands. Let her be the one to come up with the corrupted crystals solution to break through Garuda's barrier. Give her some scenes where she hangs out with Urianger and Yda in Patches 2.1-2.5 so that they get some more characterization and to help set up foreshadowing for the "Yda is secretly Lyse" reveal so that it doesn't feel like it comes out of nowhere at the end of Heavensward.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Itzena posted:

The thing is most* of the original VAs are generally good at their other work so they must have had some godawful direction.

*Alisae & Minfilia aside.

Minfilia's ARR VA is good in the patch content, where the development team wasn't crunched for time and could actually afford to hire a real voice director. I've been replaying the game on an alt with some friends, and one of them was legitimately shocked at the difference in quality of Minfilia's performance from the Leviathan patch onward.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

all of these names are less stupid than sea wolf and cat names.

Sea wolf and cat names are cool, though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Can't be false because it's an opinion, not a fact.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I feel like the biggest problem with Labyrinthos is that they have all that space in the second half of the zone that they... just don't really do anything with. It's really poorly paced.

You get permission to enter the Central Circuit, you go through the weather control facility, you go to the southern part of the Circuit to meet Kokkol, you go to the village at the northern part of the Circuit to wait, then they send you back through the weather control facility up to the farm at the Medial Circuit before having you come back to the village in the Central Circuit. Why have us backtrack to somewhere we've already been instead of using the rest of the zone for that part? If you really need to visit a farm for the whole carrot speech, why not just have another farm on the Central Circuit with the justification that it has different crops that require being at a lower elevation to thrive?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

"GIVE US THE GOOFY LITTLE CARS"

Adventurer: "What country was this car made in?"
Ironworks Sales Rep.: "It... technically no longer exists."

*Adventurer struggles with the gearshift while the sales rep pushes*

Ironworks Sales Rep.: "PUT IT IN 'H!'"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

That random guard has been Kan-e-Senna's bodyguard since ARR. He's shown up whenever she's had a part in the MSQ.

That said, it would be nice if they bothered to give him an actual name instead of just referring to him as "Keeper of the Twin Serpents" or whatever his title is.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Helping some sprout friends of mine through the Binding Coils tonight. After clearing turn 3 of the Final Coil, one of them had this to say:

"This is all optional?! WHY IS THIS OPTIONAL?!"

Coils are good. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The great cataclysm, faithfully recreated!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Strife posted:

There are times when playing as a Viera is really funny. Particularly doing the quests in the Ivalice raids, where Montblanc makes a big deal about how unexpected it is to find a Viera here in these sewers.

Like dude I've been right next to you this whole time.

"Wait, you're a Viera, too?! I thought you were just a tall, long-eared, short-tailed Miqo'te, kupo!"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Doesn't the cutscene with Louisoix after Turn 12 in the coils imply that even if you didn't play 1.0, you were still one of the adventurers at Cartenau that he sent into the future? Even if you're not a legacy player, the camera makes it a point to focus on your character when Louisoix talks about entrusting everyone's hopes to the future.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, going by the Crystal Exarch's PowerPoint presentation near the start of Shadowbringers, if we assume that the shards are going clockwise from the Source in the Crystal Exarch's model, then that would mean the shards that were collapsed for the previous Calamities were the Fifth (Wind), the Twelfth (Lightning), the Second (Fire), the Third (Earth), the Sixth (Ice), the Tenth (Water) and the Seventh (Darkness). So that means the remaining, unrejoined shards are the First (Light), the Fourth, the Eighth, the Ninth, the Eleventh, and the Thirteenth (which is VOID, and thus, prohibited).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Actually, I suspect that at least one of the tribes does still have reason, they just aren't mad enough to do it right now. The Ixal came into conflict with the Shroud because of rampant logging, but we've seen no evidence that the reason they did that rampant logging has actually been solved. They live in Xelphatol, and Xelphatol sucks for arable land you could grow trees on, but Ixali construction still relies heavily on lumber. Either someone needs to teach them alternate building methods, or someone's gonna need to find a better place to get wood.

We solved the purely interpersonal issues between beast tribes and the main cities, but we didn't do squat to solve more substantial problems like resource scarcity.

Isn't the reason they live in Xelphatol to begin with because the Elementals evicted them from the Shroud due to the clear cutting, at which point they basically decided to keep taking lumber from the Shroud as a "gently caress you" to the Elementals for kicking them out?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The mother was too focused on trying to run away from the blasphemy, she didn't notice the party invite notification down in the corner in time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Had an idea for a thing that my friend Zalgath put together since I'm still having computer trouble (and am bad at image editing):

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

bring back venat discourse this is the dumbest argument we've ever had in here

cleretic has y'all's number!

Valentin posted:

anyways I also would rather have hydaelyn discourse back than this

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

So, an idea that just struck me, that I'd like to see what other people can think of for this: What 'NPC jobs' are out there in the game's stories for us to see and recognize as legit, codified and presumably not unique fighting styles in the world, but never get to use? I'm wondering if there might be enough to do a video on at some point.

The ones I can immediately think of are...

-The various Trust job renames (Y'shtola's Sorceress, Alphinaud's Academician)
-Musketeer (used by Merlwyb)
-Garlean Gunbladeer (used by multiple people, most notably Gaius)
-Geomancer (in the AST job quests, used by Kyohuko)
-Thief (in the Heroes' Gauntlet)
-Necromancer (in a few places, but 'legitimized' by the Heroes' Gauntlet)
-Berserker (in the Heroes' Gauntlet)
-Ascetic (in the ranged role quest, used by Gosetsu)
-Ran'jit's fighting style, maybe? Hard to tell

Back before his left arm was cut off, Raubahn utilized a variant of Gladiator that dual-wielded swords instead the sword-and-board style used by everyone else in the game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Also, Golden Goliath (Mime) from the Stormblood level Blue Mage quests.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Stormblood Hildibrand question - at one point Yojimbo (Gilgamesh) seems shocked by Hildibrand’s involvement. Is that shock because he was surprised by Hildibrand showing up or because he was attracted to Geisha-Hildibrand?

Yes.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Vitamean posted:

his dick and his balls

Turns out that the Elidibus that became the heart of Zodiark was not Themis, but Osiris!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I want us to follow up on this guy specifically to find out what happens when he learns that it's his fault specifically that the Ascians lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPUgjy-Pn-4

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I find that hard to swallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Gaius' kills

Altima and Deudalaphon, according to that recent Q&A with the developers.

It still amuses me that the sum total of our knowledge about Deudalaphon consists of "they were a member of the Convocation" and "Gaius killed their most recent incarnation."

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That one Ascian who refuses to look up a guide and still doesn't understand how Terminus Est works. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myJesB_YOg4