Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Super Foul Egg posted:

It's probably a console/controller player. The stance is one of the first skills you get it so just drops it into the same area as your main attacks, and configuring the bar is such a mental hurdle for new players, a lot of people just leave their auto-mangled arrangements intact for way longer than you'd think. I've seen maxed out players with teleport still bound to their primary attack cross-hotbar, among other horrors.

I've definitely had this happen some since I started playing tanks with controller, though not as often recently. Occasionally I'll just get butter-fingers and press "double-L2 + left d-pad" (toggle tank stance) instead of "double-R2 + left d-pad" (Rampart).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The tagline on that poster still makes me laugh every time

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Argas posted:

Yeah but you know, as a goose.
maybe the gun fires gooses

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Edit: this isn't a spoiler, I want the other thread

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Not sure why people were so surprised, Emet is all about the smooth and effortless ride. If pulling a trigger accomplishes your goal, why conjure a fireball? Emet drinks from the faucet is what I am saying.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So, because I'm me. I've got headcanons and lore care about my characters background (even though this is an alt it's the same character, I moved my original to an OCE server and started an alt to stay in touch with friends). Sometimes the story is a bit funny because it's definitely not made with Viera in mind. Who could be anywhere from 21 to 250 years old.

Personally, mine is about 150, and is out and about to fight the Garlean Empire before it's too late to stop them and his home is destroyed, but to do so he had to betray the duty of his people and become an exile (Viera lore is hardcore). Which makes this following interaction extremely funny.

Gee, I sure do wonder what it's like to betray your culture and people, Silvairre. I sure wouldn't deeply know exactly this experience because it's been my life for 40 years oh no clearly you're the only one with such a heavy burden.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Lord_Magmar posted:

So, because I'm me. I've got headcanons and lore care about my characters background (even though this is an alt it's the same character, I moved my original to an OCE server and started an alt to stay in touch with friends). Sometimes the story is a bit funny because it's definitely not made with Viera in mind. Who could be anywhere from 21 to 250 years old.

Personally, mine is about 150, and is out and about to fight the Garlean Empire before it's too late to stop them and his home is destroyed, but to do so he had to betray the duty of his people and become an exile (Viera lore is hardcore). Which makes this following interaction extremely funny.

Gee, I sure do wonder what it's like to betray your culture and people, Silvairre. I sure wouldn't deeply know exactly this experience because it's been my life for 40 years oh no clearly you're the only one with such a heavy burden.

There are times when playing as a Viera is really funny. Particularly doing the quests in the Ivalice raids, where Montblanc makes a big deal about how unexpected it is to find a Viera here in these sewers.

Like dude I've been right next to you this whole time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lord_Magmar posted:

Some of the Viis dialogue from the 1st suggests they actually live longer than that even. It's funny to me because when that stuff got brought up, all I could think about was my character having a moment to realize she was probably going to outlive all her friends. Including Alphinaud and Alisaie.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Professor Beetus posted:

Some of the Viis dialogue from the 1st suggests they actually live longer than that even. It's funny to me because when that stuff got brought up, all I could think about was my character having a moment to realize she was probably going to outlive all her friends. Including Alphinaud and Alisaie.

Yeah that's one, my character had that moment in Shadowbringers (Hades/Emet-Selch made him think about it, for obvious reasons). He's 150 and the max age for Viera is 360 (the lore states they're live 3 times as long as Elezen, who max out at 120 or thereabouts). He's specifically hoping the twins might see him on his death bed instead of the other way around because he knows that the others almost certainly won't.

By the math he's older than almost the entirety of the Scions combined during Shadowbringers, which is funny for it's own reasons, and I've recently decided the first time it ever would've come up at all is during the meeting with Master Matoya during Heavensward.

Also pre-ARR he was travelling the world for 40 years trying to find a way to stop Garlemald, because the entire reason he actually self-exiled from the jungle was the Garlean invasion attempts making him realise it's not enough to just wait for them to come to the jungle, because if they're not stopped now then they'll never be stopped. The fact it took 40 years for anywhere to seemingly succeed at fighting off the Empire did not particularly do much to help his anti-social mute warrior deal.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 2, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah that's one, my character had that moment in Shadowbringers (Hades/Emet-Selch made him think about it, for obvious reasons). He's 150 and the max age for Viera is 360 (the lore states they're live 3 times as long as Elezen, who max out at 120 or thereabouts). He's specifically hoping the twins might see him on his death bed instead of the other way around because he knows that the others almost certainly won't.

By the math he's older than almost the entirety of the Scions combined during Shadowbringers, which is funny for it's own reasons, and I've recently decided the first time it ever would've come up at all is during the meeting with Master Matoya during Heavensward.

Also pre-ARR he was travelling the world for 40 years trying to find a way to stop Garlemald, because the entire reason he actually self-exiled from the jungle was the Garlean invasion attempts making him realise it's not enough to just wait for them to come to the jungle, because if they're not stopped now then they'll never be stopped. The fact it took 40 years for anywhere to seemingly succeed at fighting off the Empire did not particularly do much to help his anti-social mute warrior deal.

My headcanon is a lot more simple and detached; I used the Viera's long lifespan to justify why the WOL is so willing to just do whatever anyone asks. "Eh, these people are all gonna be dead in 50-100 years anyway, what does it matter?"

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My Viera is only in his 50s and is happy to let the Scions think that means he’s old and mature.

Until they all hear about Viera lifespans from the Viis.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Professor Beetus posted:

My headcanon is a lot more simple and detached; I used the Viera's long lifespan to justify why the WOL is so willing to just do whatever anyone asks. "Eh, these people are all gonna be dead in 50-100 years anyway, what does it matter?"

See I kind of went the other way, he's going to live to see this future, so he's sure as poo poo gonna make it one he wants to live to see. Hence choosing to fight Garlemald instead of stay in the jungles 40 years ago (the fact that nothing worked for 40 years is of course, depressing as hell given he's self-exiled because of this decision).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Strife posted:

There are times when playing as a Viera is really funny. Particularly doing the quests in the Ivalice raids, where Montblanc makes a big deal about how unexpected it is to find a Viera here in these sewers.

"Wait, you're a Viera, too?! I thought you were just a tall, long-eared, short-tailed Miqo'te, kupo!"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That's good even if nothing beats the Palico dialogue.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
The only headcanon I have is that my WoL is a freak of nature who likes getting into knockdown dragout fights

Oh and the bit where one of my GC squadron members is a femroe named Koenbryda. It's my personal belief she was a cousin or something to Moenbryda and looked up to her. When she heard the WoL was recruiting for an elite unit, she went "oh hell yes" and immediately enlisted

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
My WoL is a Qerel Dark Knight. Anyone who's played that and Warrior can probably make a pretty close guess of where the headcanons lie there, it's nothing too wild.

I really wish the Steppe gave more than like, two lines of dialogue acknowledging you as a Xaela, but I suppose that can't be helped.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nessus posted:

That's good even if nothing beats the Palico dialogue.

I am still waiting to see reports of Viera - Loporrit special dialogues

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Skypie posted:

The only headcanon I have is that my WoL is a freak of nature who likes getting into knockdown dragout fights

Oh and the bit where one of my GC squadron members is a femroe named Koenbryda. It's my personal belief she was a cousin or something to Moenbryda and looked up to her. When she heard the WoL was recruiting for an elite unit, she went "oh hell yes" and immediately enlisted

My headcanon is that my WoL is the "got nothin' in my brain" TikTok meme who loves her friends almost as much as she loves fighting increasingly difficult gods. Basically a catgirl himbo.

This matches my general approach to RPG character creation which is to take an element of my personality I find interesting and turn it to 11.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

So it's headcanon time? My WoL is some eccentric fisher from Ala Mhigo that went to Limsa to try reskilling, maybe learn more about accounting from arcanists and whoops, suddenly it's not really about accounting and she is killing primals, summoning them and there is echo and twins and...

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dwesa posted:

So it's headcanon time? My WoL is some eccentric fisher from Ala Mhigo that went to Limsa to try reskilling, maybe learn more about accounting from arcanists and whoops, suddenly it's not really about accounting and she is killing primals, summoning them and there is echo and twins and...

What up Ala Mhigan fisher buddy?

My WoL is from a tiny fishing village on some lovely island off the north coast of Eorzea that got settled by Ala Mhigo and forgotten about to the point the Garleans never got to it and the populace weren't even aware of the mad king's poo poo. Then the calamity sank it and the survivors scattered.

This is why the WoL knows nothing about politics, history and geography.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I though it was cannon that we were at the Battle of Carteneau. Or does that only apply to 1.0 characters? I seem to remember it being mentioned by the Scions early on, but I could be mistaken.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Edmund Lava posted:

I though it was cannon that we were at the Battle of Carteneau. Or does that only apply to 1.0 characters? I seem to remember it being mentioned by the Scions early on, but I could be mistaken.

As far as I know, 1.0 is only canon for 1.0 characters. They get the special intro cutscene and the special post-Praetorium cutscene and everything. Non-1.0 characters have never been in Eorzea whatsoever before arriving in the opening cutscene with the twins.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

DanielCross posted:

As far as I know, 1.0 is only canon for 1.0 characters. They get the special intro cutscene and the special post-Praetorium cutscene and everything. Non-1.0 characters have never been in Eorzea whatsoever before arriving in the opening cutscene with the twins.

This is not necessarily true, at least the part where you have never been to Eorzea. The three merchant brothers each ask you if you have been to the city state you are going to before, and you can say yes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Also you can imagine your character went through 1.0 if you want. No one can stop you

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I made the wild roleplaying decision of deciding to play as the one member of a family that didn't get raptured at Cartenau.

She got on the primal case because chances are that was somehow Bahamut's fault.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Lord of the Rings Online had a whole section of the character window where you could put in roleplay details for your character, even a whole backstory. Most people didn't use it, but it was fun to find people who did, I'm surprised FFXIV doesn't have something like that.

Anyway, my bunny boy fled the jungle with his mentor and moved to a poacher's camp in the outskirts of the Black Shroud. He witnessed some people getting killed by the wood wrath and decided to turn his back on poaching and try his hand and conjury to undo the damage he'd done (but later discovered that using ancient Allagan summoning magic was more fun).

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Strife posted:

(my rabbit was still undergoing his wood-warder training when he awakened to the echo, and was soon thereafter told by his mentor that he would never make it as a warder and needed to leave his home forever, as his soul now hearkened to the word of the star rather than the will of the wood. as one might imagine, he still has some lingering trauma over it!)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Doesn't the cutscene with Louisoix after Turn 12 in the coils imply that even if you didn't play 1.0, you were still one of the adventurers at Cartenau that he sent into the future? Even if you're not a legacy player, the camera makes it a point to focus on your character when Louisoix talks about entrusting everyone's hopes to the future.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

W.T. Fits posted:

Doesn't the cutscene with Louisoix after Turn 12 in the coils imply that even if you didn't play 1.0, you were still one of the adventurers at Cartenau that he sent into the future? Even if you're not a legacy player, the camera makes it a point to focus on your character when Louisoix talks about entrusting everyone's hopes to the future.

Echo bullshit, also you are still the WoL.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

At one point I wrote some long rambling prose that my WoL got directly displaced by the calamity and had been living on the road since.

And by the road I mean she ended up drifting with a few crews of Lominsans, who decided to just sail on outta there when the moon started looking weird.
If we ever get to see the South Sea Isles or Meracydia I'll have to come up with a bit more on what parts she's seen before.

At the time I first had these ideas I didn't quite know that Meracydia was 1. that far away or 2. dragon-filled mad max badlands, but it does lend some credence to coming back to Eorzea and near-immediately rising to the challenge of beating up primals.

I imagine she has a fairly strong emotional connection to the Doman refugees.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

My catgirl got hit by Louisoix's neuralyzer and can't remember anything before the calamity except how difficult it was to hit trees or find people to buy/sell to in Limsa. Got a cool back tattoo somehow too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Begemot posted:

Lord of the Rings Online had a whole section of the character window where you could put in roleplay details for your character, even a whole backstory. Most people didn't use it, but it was fun to find people who did, I'm surprised FFXIV doesn't have something like that.

Anyway, my bunny boy fled the jungle with his mentor and moved to a poacher's camp in the outskirts of the Black Shroud. He witnessed some people getting killed by the wood wrath and decided to turn his back on poaching and try his hand and conjury to undo the damage he'd done (but later discovered that using ancient Allagan summoning magic was more fun).

sometimes people will put a blurb in their search info, but there's a 60-character limit so you can't say much

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

cheetah7071 posted:

sometimes people will put a blurb in their search info, but there's a 60-character limit so you can't say much

For roleplay purposes, usually people use that search info for a very brief descriptor, maybe a 'RP = IC,' and a link to their character carrd. Not much else you can do with it.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I just put old FFT spell quotes in mine.

"Go, live, become a frog! Frog!"

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Anyone who beat the Nael trial at Rivenroad in 1.0 gets the teleport-in-from-Carteneau thing that you see in the ARR trailer. 1.0 characters that didn't will get the same city-state intros as everyone else but also get the tattoo.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Argas posted:

Anyone who beat the Nael trial at Rivenroad in 1.0 gets the teleport-in-from-Carteneau thing that you see in the ARR trailer. 1.0 characters that didn't will get the same city-state intros as everyone else but also get the tattoo.

I believe all 1.0 characters get the teleport intro, but they don't get any of the other CSes.

My WoL is actually from Vana'diel, haven't really set down exactly how long after the Calamity he found himself in Eorzea :v:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

As a 0.x character I got the standard character creation experience and no character data inherented because I never exited the beta. Elf grandpa's magic was so powerful it literally erased her identity on a fundamental level.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

DanielCross posted:

I knew about the intro cutscene, but I didn't know there was a special cutscene after Praetorium. Got a link?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Both my main and alt are the canon WOL and shard of Azem because this is my city now. They each get half of the source shard, then they each got three whole shards at birth. My main got her fourth after Dalamud, and my alt absorbed Ardbert. They’re one whole WoL together, but still decently badass apart after a lifetime of being sickly before adapting due to having half the aether of everyone else.

Main is a Doman Raen Au Ra from a po dunk farming village. She came from a huge family of rice farmers, but due to being sickly as a child she was trained as a weaver to make her family money instead. She developed the Echo and an enhanced affinity for aether that let her figure out Blizzard I without training after the Calamity. She was regarded as a bit of a oracle by her village, but then the Garleans came sniffing around to slorp up some Echo juice for the Echo machines. When she was drafted, her village handed her all the money they had and told her to flee.

Alt is a male Rava Viera had his mom die in childbirth while he almost died at birth, which is what split the Azem soul train up to begin with. He developed the Echo after seeing a starshower when he was very young, and combined with the former facts, it made for a very on edge village of Viera. Ultimately, he offended the tribe matron and was told he was a boy and GTFO early. He then eventually made his way to Rabanestre where he fell into thievery. Then the Garleans conquered Dalmasca and in the process his whole gang got wiped out (he was 23 at the time). Then he made his way to the Ruby Sea and joined the Confederacy for 30 years but eventually decided to go to Limsa because he was sick of being a real pirate and just wanted to be a privateer against the Garleans. Then he got distracted from that by plot.

They first met when alt let main cross the Ruby Sea without paying the tithe, then they accidentally bribed their way onto/stowed away in the same ship to Vespar Bay. Main went to Ul’dah to study Thurmaturgy, Alt went to Limsa to go Marauder but instead got caught up with the Rouges. Then they kept bumping into each other during MSQ until they joined the Scions at the same time and became permanently partied.

As for what they were doing during the Calamity, they were sitting in Othard looking at the sky and going “huh” before a really big earthquake hit.

………….yes I’ve thought too much about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

kitten emergency posted:

I knew about the intro cutscene, but I didn't know there was a special cutscene after Praetorium. Got a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJrgJatG4aQ

It's like 25 minutes into this, all the characters in 1.0 start remembering that you were the warrior of light, before this all they can remember is a someone obscured by light.