Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Will post more tomorrow probably because im really tired right now, but I cannot believe how well they stuck the landing in 5.3 because I felt like 5.1 and 5.2 were meandering wheel spinning. That everything done in those 2 patches got paid off in this one is wild. Just incredible, the best patch they've ever released.

Oh also gently caress Urianger! As soon as he said hey go take this to Seto I knew I was hosed and I was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
The biggest oh gently caress moment of this patch was graha becoming a trust and me briefly panicing and gnashing my teeth at the thought of having to once again level a trust up, but they had him default to 80 so crisis averted.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Glad that Zenos is dead, but on the other hand, the only obvious way he could have made it back to Eorzea would be to body hop to a Lopporit and zenosway would probably have been the best.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wouldn't mind if they dropped the trash and just had 4 bosses. Once the raids are known by the public they're still sub 30 minutes, so it's not like they're too long, but they're all uninteresting encounters.

Eh I like the trash, and I like the alliance raids. It's alright if they take longer, they're a once a week activity. I mostly really like working through the areas like a big dungeon. Huge fan of the utterly pointless bit in the waterways of rabanastre.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

In the role capstone quest we see that the Tower of Babil will be essential infrastructure for a while. But isn't it powered by thousands of tempered Garlean citizens?

Don't think so. The citizens are almost assuredly there to provide the prayer needed to summon anima and not necessarily provide literal power outside of maybe when anima shoots them with the beams during that fight. Anima got it's aether from the towers dotted all over and I am pretty sure when fancy dan blasted the moon, he was just redirecting energy from those towers. It doesn't seem like travelling to the moon actually takes much energy now that hydaelyns shield got blasted away.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

The geography of the zone doesn't really work. The Crystal Tower is to the North, and the big dome in Coerthas Central is to the West. The Crystal Tower in actuality is on the South end of Mor Dhona, and the entirety of Coerthas is North of Mor Dhona, but the dome in particular is to the North West of the Crystal Tower.

Another thing about being tied to the third era - there are basically no surviving records of anything before. Twelve worship could have been minutes after the sundering and we wouldn't know.

That dome is in northern mor dhona.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Eimi posted:

I never really cared about Moenbryda, so it was weird to me the game did. Like it was obvious even in the patch they added her, she was dead. The deaths, or more specifically undeaths, from that era I hated were HW just entirely retconning 2.55 so the only thing that happened was Raubahn lost an arm and even then that doesn't matter because he can still fight. 2.55 was one of my favorite patches for how dark it was, and undoing that made it really hard to take the story seriously about stakes ever again.

I cared about Moen because she was literally the only cool voiced scion besides tataru at the time. It wasn't until hw rehabbed alphinaud that I gave a poo poo about any of them and even then, with the exception of alisaie I still wished all of them had died and stayed dead because they were terminally dull until shb managed to rehab the lot of them, into interesting characters who actually came across as friends and colleagues and not just boring, bossy co-workers.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Bloody Emissary posted:

But you can bet that if we get future dialogue options that make it clear we're holding a grudge over that, a lot of the playerbase will press them more quickly than I pressed the "this is such a pain in the arse" option during Zenos' candlelit body-snatching dinner.

That was my favorite dialogue choice in the whole game.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Eimi posted:

My own theory for Sharlyan was that they were actually founded by Ellidibus in the First era to keep a record of the world that would be destroyed by the calamities, so that the Ascians would always remember the cost once the world was healed. That Labyrinthos was their calamity fallout bunker and we'd see the Forum working with Fandaniel and the Teleophoroi because they wouldn't know about us just killing all the actual Ascians and Fandaniel loving with them. Hence them knowing if it was a real calamity or not.

I just wish the actual reveal was more interesting.

Sharlayan was founded in the aftermath of the 5th or 6th though. Whichever one was the flood. Nyunkrepf built his ark, picked up survivors and then whisked them all away to the middle of abalathias spine in response to some massive wave. When resources ran short, he went gently caress this I'm out, took his original crew and founded sharlayan on the principles of knowledge and non-violence.

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like calling Hermes irredeemable misses a whole lot of his actual actions. He was driven by his despair and depression but it was reinforced by the fact that he'd just gotten basically the most die-hard confirmation you can get that the universe is a horrible place and that the Ancients were as flawed as the creations they destroyed.

Naw Hermes can get hosed and is in fact irredeemable gutter trash. While yes, everything you said applies to the Hermes we met in Elpis, I am going to remind you that this motherfucker was Amon, definitely in the running for worst person to ever exist in history and also that Amon was his favorite life. So while yes, he was a tortured sad boy who saw injustice and tried to right it through terribly misguided means, he then went on to make a habit of swapping peoples heads with animals for laughs, enslaved piles of dragons, helped spread misery and empire across the the continent and into Meracydia, and was just all around a massive piece of poo poo. His time spent as Fandaniel (modern incarnation, maybe he was a fine Fandaniel on the convocation) isn't any better either!

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 5, 2022

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Amon was specifically a broken shattered fragment of Hermes. It's like saying you're the same person as Ardbert.

Yeah and when you fight him in the Aitiascope he puts on his Amon form and says that this was by far his favorite form so it turns out that the hosed up science monster is the coolest thing he ever did, according to him.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I honestly don't really remember there being a good reason for the capstone to require the completion of all the role quests. It's been awhile but isn't the quest just Cylva going oh you've killed the virtues come solve this final mystery and the role npc's barely play into it at all from there other than a funny cutscene where they party? Seems easy enough to split off into it's own thing if necessary.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

wizardofloneliness posted:

So Emet loving loved partying, is what I'm getting out of that story.

If Emet likes to party so much then he should be usable as a trust in more than 1 dungeon!!!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

That the elementals caused the flood was pretty common knowledge before the lore book, if I recall. That's why the Gridanians capitulate so much to them.

What? This is the first I've heard of this. Citation needed because I just pulled my lorebook and all it said was war made aether imbalanced, flood came. Also, people have been terrified of the elementals since long before the flood. They made a habit of murdering gelmorrans forever up until the pact was made in what I am pretty sure was the 2nd era.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Here's from a wiki:

I don't know where this is from, but it's all old news to me.

Hmm, looks like a 1.0 quest. That or the 2,0 whm quest and I guess I just forgot maybe?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Thordan was the original plan for a light-aligned calamity yeah

what exactly Ultima Weapon was intended to accomplish is beyond me though. You could probably write a fanfic where it's secretly both light- and dark-aligned--converting the active aether of primals into a dormant form in the heart of sabik, and then converting it back into an active form to cast ultima--but really the answer is just, the writers didn't know what the ascians were actually up to so it doesn't really make sense

Just more chaos, which leads to more worldwide anxiety which leads to more violence/primal summonings/whatever.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Eimi posted:

Look if we're going to deliberately say stupid things, we might as well say that actually the most successful and heroic individual in XIV is Ilberd because for the low low price of his friends arm and his life he not only liberated his country, he orchestrated a chain of events that without him the universe would've been destroyed. :v:

Ilberd was right, much to everyone's chagrin.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Eden's Promise intermission was so awful. I was never happier to be done with a place.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I think splitting it up into Garlemald 6.0 and End of Days 7.0 woulda been cool. My expectation would have been to hook up with some resistance group or somesuch and then liberate your way across the continent. But I was also relatively pleased with how things went down in EW. Garlemald was my favorite section by far and it was kinda just downhill from there. Though still very good don't get me wrong.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

Surprised that nobody previously brought up that they teased an alchemist/mage healer character *again*, and I'm not seeing much buzz elsewhere either

Usually that riles people up!

I guess the Chemist fanatics have been burned too many times

Chemist buzz should be dead at this point when some pre ew interview talked about how they tried to get chemist to work but couldn't so we got Sage instead. Combined with looking to do more ff14 exclusive jobs instead of pre-established ones, there isn't much reason to keep carrying that torch.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I hope the monk fists are just solid gold godbert heads and that the general glow effect for the final steps are the weapons raining mgp.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Theres lots of flower particle effects for SAM isn't there? Could always mod some lilies in if there aren't some already.

In my opinion, there is definitely not enough flower effects for samurai. You get some on Kasha, Oka, and Midare but none of those are as overtly flowery as chaos thrust/the thing chaos thrust upgrades into.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The Scions are 'dead' longer than Zenos but nobody says talking about Thancred is a spoiler

It absolutely is a spoiler. Nobody talks about it because as far as this thread goes, stuff pre-endwalker is pretty much fair game. But if anybody I got into this game was the type to be inclined to read SA ff14 stuff I would tell them to stay the gently caress out of this thread.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Well I would hope they'd stay out of the spoiler thread, yeah

Oh nooo I forgot what thread I was in and now I am a buffoon!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A-team Members as of 6.1

Alphinaud
Thancred
Urianger
Estinien
G'raha

Alisaie
Y'shtola
Krile
Tataru

+ WoL

Seems ok to me?

Can't take Krile and Tataru into a trust dungeon so they don't count. even if they are both very good. Cleretic is right, the scions need Sadu. Also need to help y'shtola on her quest so we can recruit Lyna.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

There's a pirate lady in hw nin who is the final boss of the line but also only gets 2 cutscenes who is pretty much a standard pirate. I will also not be convinced that the jerk lady who gives out some 30ish sidequests in central shroud and goes on to be a prominent npc in ltw 60-70 isn't a villain cuz she suuuuucks.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Hogama posted:

The LTW 60-70 character, Atelloune, isn't the Central Shroud questgiver (Marcette), she's her teacher.

Somewhat relatedly, Marcette was actually a 1.0 questgiver, too - and she hadn't yet picked up the "assistant number" quirk from Atelloune.

...Still pretty much the same approach to research as ever, though.

TIL that there's TWO assholes that suck!!!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Was there any indication of how far you need to be in the MSQ to unlock Island Sanctuary?

Fake Edit: I almost posted "Was there any indication of how far you need to be in the MSQ to unlock the main story?" like I'm Art loving Donovan at KotR '94.

Pretty sure they said completed 6.0.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Emzedoh posted:

Ok, I just saw a totally wild idea on twitter - what if she's Igeyorhm? Iggy was a sundered ascian probably uplifted from a native of the 13th, and it always was a shame we didn't really get to know her before we killed her, especially since she's turned out to have had a much greater effect on the plot than it first seemed.

This was my immediate reaction but the models don't quite match. Which doesn't necessarily mean anything I suppose.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

the_steve posted:

I don't think it's so much caring about them that bothers people, it's the insistence that there will be more plot important Ascians when the entire point of Endwalker is "The Ascians are done. Finished. Their story is complete. The book is closed. They're gone."

Yeah it's this, at least for me. They were great but I don't need all these dead jerkbags hanging around forever just because of fan popularity.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who wished that the Eden plot was fully focused on revitalizing the Empty (both because I like that sort of story and because it seems hugely important to the long-term survival of the First), but a big part of that is that I really wanted to see Ryne have a plot where she was acting for herself and on her own desires, so seeing it turn into Ryne once again becoming the Emotional Support Person to someone very sad who doesn't treat her well for a lot of the plot was pretty underwhelming.

Naw, I'm with you. Fixing the flood was definitely the thing I was most interested in. The Ryne Gaia thing was too tepid for me to give a poo poo, which is a really common problem I have with Japanese stories targetted at nerds. Can't ever have actual textual romance, subtext only. Especially tiresome when the meta-text is almost assuredly, "we can't have overt lesbians in anything other than a test bubble that pops up when you walk past somebody without China and South Korea losing their minds."

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

I actually payed attention to the Ultima cutscene recently and I just love Laha's laugh after Ultima goes off.

He's just having a grand old time causing untold amounts of damage. :3:

In the moment he is cackling because he is just imagining the look on Emets face when Emet reads the financial report of an entire castrum going up in flames.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Bruceski posted:

For me the first two fights of Aglaia were great but while Nald'Thal was fun the first time I just found them annoying on repeats, particularly because one person can wipe the group, and fan-lady was simple.

The wildest poo poo to me so far is that I've done probably around 30 Aglaia's and never once have been trolled on nald'thal.

Also our only wipe in Euphrosyne came during althyk and even then, it wasn't because of mechanics. Whoever was tanking Nymeia died and the other tank was asleep at the wheel entirely so we slowly wiped to nymeia killing all the healers unceremoniously while people yelled in alliance chat.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I admit I don't know the behind the scenes marketing elements that go into using jobs to push expansions, but it honestly feels insane at this point to add more than one. If SE is still having difficulty finding team members who know how to do mmo class and encounter design as they've alluded to in the past it just feels like a huge amount of work that will only lead to even longer patch cycles, especially since every new job means new weapons and artifact models to design.

This is pretty much where I am at. 1 new scouting job and then no more new full jobs ever again. It's just become more clear that their job team has a hard time coming up with mechanically interesting things for jobs that are already in a good spot to do since so many of the new abilities in shb and ew were bolting on more finishers and making qol changes that should have been baseline functionality into traits.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Vitamean posted:

truthfully a lot of jobs I'd want in the game have been added over the years so I've mostly narrowed my focus to weapon types and styles I'd want to see. stuff like maces/hammers, dual swords, and other weapons that are legally distinct from monster hunter

*banging on table* DPS pirate with a switch axe! DPS pirate with a switch axe!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

They're the meta pure healer and still have among the best support in the game. In no world are ASTs below average.

Cleretic was speaking broadly, asts were complete garbage from 3.0 to 3.3 and then randomly in sb at some points I think.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

It's all soloable at this point. I imagine just about anything works for everything except t9 and t13. T9 I can do consistently with Samurai without issue, t13 I was soloing with paladin back in shb but haven't tried it since so dunno if more jobs are viable now or if the stat squish has hosed it, but I doubt it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Jetrauben posted:

You're assuming that his role as Solus was a lie. The most consistent read is that it wasn't, that as much as it was a tool for Ascian manipulation he also genuinely tried to improve the lives of the Garlean people. He went native for a while, it's his whole thing.

His role as Solus absolutely was a lie. I don't care if, for a brief period, he thought the empire was the tightest poo poo. He started that empire explicitly to cause chaos and ring in a new calamity and that is also how it ended. Calling doing this a role (in the same vein as taking on another persona in a play or tv) is the dumbest poo poo I have seen in a hot minute. Yeah, he took on the role of genocidal autocrat to uplift the heretofore downtrodden garleans and I am 100% certain that he never once gave a speech about how this was all in order to wipe just about everyone out because hmm I wonder how his society would feel about being used that way? Do you think they would be like cool beans, living is bad?

Also be explicitly lied about The Burn.

Emet Selch will say and do whatever it takes to bring back his lost society. He only doesn't spend Shadowbringers lying to us because he thinks if he gives us the truth then we will come around to his way of thinking. And apparently he is correct for at least some portion of the playerbase.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Could always just make up something entirely new like they did with RPR and (in everything but name) SGE.

Hopefully 7.0 will also see a GNB rework because it feels the worst to play of all the tanks by a wide margin right now.

What a wild take considering gnb is the *only tank that actually feels good to play.

*haven't touched paladin since the rework other than a couple of uninspiring minutes on a dummy.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

This is why I always do these and hunt marks as a tank. Having your stance on massively inflates your participation score even if you don't have aggro, since I think it's calculated based on enmity generation.

This is the case as far as I know. Back before the tank revamp of shb jacked the threat on the stance up to nearly impossible to lose if you are pressing a button sometimes, it was actually more threat to do these as a whitemage and just blow all your cooldowns on cure 3/medica if you couldn't get people to cooperate spam for maximum threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

It seemed like you went pretty drat deep to get to the Dimensional Brake.

Not far enough. The entrance cutscene of Orthros shows you swimming around in the green muck below the brake.