Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Bruceski posted:

Thanks for reminding me I wanted to get a shot of that in my Unintentionally FFX-ish Outfit. (Manderville spoilers)

Between this and the volleyball bomb stuff in the early quests, I really love how our character is getting to be more apart of the Mandeville madness this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SirSamVimes posted:

No. None of the AOEs do any appreciable damage and Godbert even has unique dialogue for it with how Godbert considers it a refreshing little zap. I just wish I had thought to leave Hildibrand to soak the shared aoe by himself because that would have probably had unique dialogue too.

He runs away from you, so yeah it does. I missed that too but guildies didn't.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Baldesion Eureka (to distinguish it from Orthos now) was from the same Astral Era as the Allagans, right? Do we know who made it?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The primal Eureka was probably summoned during the 3rd Astra Era, but I think the building named Baldesion Arsenal was constructed by the Students to keep Eureka and the weapons it created on lockdown.

e:

quote:

In the course of his investigations, Master Ejika made an unsettling discovery. When the founders unearthed Eureka, it had by then forged a fearsome arsenal of weapons. The founders made it their mission to locate these arms, which they sealed away in the headquarters' upper level─a place dubbed the Baldesion Arsenal.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 8, 2023

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Dang now I really need to hit PotD floor 50. Okay not need but I'd like to.

New Manderville quest is pretty great, I love Brandihilt, very cute and adorable. Also playing as Godbert was a ton of fun even if it is incredibly gimmicked in our favor, probably even because it's gimmicked in our favor. Of course he has 9999 health and basically doesn't take damage, could've been 99999 or 999999, wouldn't matter either way. Also also it felt really good to have him perform the one true cinematic limit break. Big smiles all around.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bruceski posted:

Baldesion Eureka (to distinguish it from Orthos now) was from the same Astral Era as the Allagans, right? Do we know who made it?

Yeah, Baldesion Eureka is just the Isle of Val, but moved from it's original location east of Sharlyan to halfway across the world to somewhere in the Far East. The primal itself is from the 3rd Astral Era.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

YggiDee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y70qQjhNays
Just watch them all and make the correct judgement

Highlanders are forgotten once again. :negative:

(Also the highlady dance is so loving bad)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Too many Eurekas... I need to be clearer.

Under the Crystal Tower is Eureka Orthos, built by the Allagans.
In the Ruby Sea is Island Eureka, formerly the Isle of Val, named after the legend of Orthos when it was (re)discovered.
Inside Island Eureka is Primal Eureka made at the same time as the Allagans. Do we know who did that? Given their other work with primals and weapons I would assume the ancient Bozjans, is there confirmation somewhere?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Bruceski posted:

He runs away from you, so yeah it does. I missed that too but guildies didn't.

IIRC he runs away from you if you have the marker, but if he does, he accepts your stack and has some dialogue about it. Extreme Pubbie Energy

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I don't think it's been explicitly stated who summoned the primal Eureka. We can guess that it was around the 3rd Astral Era just because a lot of funky stuff happened around that time and the Ascians were teaching a lot of people how to summon. It wasn't the Allagans themselves, because I figure if the Ascians taught the Allagans how to summon they wouldn't be committing all these research crimes under the crystal tower.

I'm also operating on slightly incomplete information because there are sealed weapons on the last floor of Eureka Orthos and there might be lore going on for the floor 99 boss, or even just other bosses.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Re: Hildebrand we're definitely getting Pupu giving us a "ride" on their spaceship as a mount at some point, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Too many Eurekas... I need to be clearer.

Under the Crystal Tower is Eureka Orthos, built by the Allagans.
In the Ruby Sea is Island Eureka, formerly the Isle of Val, named after the legend of Orthos when it was (re)discovered.
Inside Island Eureka is Primal Eureka made at the same time as the Allagans. Do we know who did that? Given their other work with primals and weapons I would assume the ancient Bozjans, is there confirmation somewhere?

So the only real thing we know about Primal Eureka is that it was summoned in the third era and the information we have suggests that it probably came from people who we haven't met or who don't exist anymore. The weapons it creates are explicitly based on mythological weapons and are not, technically, Primals but rather closer to the Auracites or other stuff we've seen that amounts to "big store of energy that can transform someone' instead of 'summoned by pure faith.'

That said Fancy Daniel's Lunar Odin most likely is a genuine primal summoned by faith so we'll probably end up meeting the folks who worship Odin eventually.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
To clarify, we can confirm the primal Eureka (why the gently caress would you call it anything else, 'Baldesion Eureka' is even more confusing) dates back to Allagan times, which we can tell because the story of Odin goes back that far. We don't know who made it, or even if it was made at the time, but we do know that Odin's twin primal Raiden actually speaks against the Allagan Empire, calling it a 'wicked empire'. So the primal Eureka was at least at one point in the hands of Allag's enemies. Allag's confirmably the type to co-opt their enemies' poo poo, though, so that may not have remained true.

The primal Eureka's history is an enigma outside that point, save that we can reason that Mhach had some knowledge of or contact with it, with the White and (especially) Black Spears resembling magic they had on side, and... well, Ozma.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also a fun note:

Absolute Virtue is an Elemental.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Also a fun note:

No it's the spear an elemental is holding.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Re: Hildebrand we're definitely getting Pupu giving us a "ride" on their spaceship as a mount at some point, right?

I really hope thats the case

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cleretic posted:

To clarify, we can confirm the primal Eureka (why the gently caress would you call it anything else, 'Baldesion Eureka' is even more confusing)

I forgot it was a primal, just knew it as "the thing under Eureka also called Eureka." Figured if I specified the ancient thing people would focus on the ancient thing named Eureka and not "actually the Eureka I think you meant wasn't ancient". I was wrong.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 8, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

Also a fun note:

...can I ask you to explain? Because right now it looks like you're connecting points A and B to point L and just pretending that you did the rest of the work.

Sure, it looks a little bit like an elemental, do you have evidence beyond this? Because if you don't then I'm gonna point out that your theory has as much grounding as me saying 'Amon is a Deathgaze'.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 8, 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It was interesting to me that there WAS a Eureka under the tower, because I remember Krile mentioning that G'raha had that same theory back in their university days and Galuf got really quiet when G'raha brought the theory up to him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

...can I ask you to explain? Because right now it looks like you're connecting points A and B to point L and just pretending that you did the rest of the work.

Sure, it looks a little bit like an elemental, do you have evidence beyond this? Because if you don't then I'm gonna point out that your theory has as much grounding as me saying 'Amon is a Deathgaze'.

Conditional Virtue's minion description:
"From a pulsating mass of aetherial flesh sloughed off the Eurekan elemental Absolute Virtue did rise this uncanny facsimile, identical to its progenitor in every way─every way, that is, except size and, well, absoluteness."

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No it's the spear an elemental is holding.

I'm not clear if Absolute Virtue is the name of the spear or the being. The minion description refers to it as the being but it's also a minion description.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

Conditional Virtue's minion description:
"From a pulsating mass of aetherial flesh sloughed off the Eurekan elemental Absolute Virtue did rise this uncanny facsimile, identical to its progenitor in every way─every way, that is, except size and, well, absoluteness."

I'm not clear if Absolute Virtue is the name of the spear or the being. The minion description refers to it as the being but it's also a minion description.

Well fair enough there, but it does seem to be a 'lowercase e' elemental. The difference there is weird and loose, but it exists, the Encyclopedia Eorzea calls a few things 'elementals' beyond the Elementals.

Also the actual arena for AV's fight is the 'Spear of Virtue' containment, so Absolute Virtue is the name of the wielder.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 8, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Electric Phantasm posted:

That animation was just too fun for how short we saw it

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

TheWorldsaStage posted:

That animation was just too fun for how short we saw it

I think it’s a frame from the getting revived animation. So it could go either way.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if we don't get the ufo as a mount we can add it to the list of disappointments right after the titan car

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Vrrrm vrrrm I'm your cool stepdad!

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Well fair enough there, but it does seem to be a 'lowercase e' elemental. The difference there is weird and loose, but it exists, the Encyclopedia Eorzea calls a few things 'elementals' beyond the Elementals.

This is true, but considering there are actual seemingly-identical-to-the-Shroud's Elementals in Eureka, it seems like it would be unnecessarily confusing and pedantic for that description to refer to a "Eurekan elemental" and not mean those.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Jorge Bell posted:

Vrrrm vrrrm I'm your cool stepdad!

sorry stepdad, my cool pegasus grandpa is here to take me fishing

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So Eureka Orthos is under the Crystal Tower. Approximately the same spot as The Twinning.

Which meant that in Bad Timeline, Garlond Ironworks had to clear all that poo poo out. That's pretty hardcore.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The twinning is just inside the crystal tower. In the Sircus Tower raid we take the stairs up, but in the Twinning the front door is just blown up and we go into the centre.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The twinning is just inside the crystal tower. In the Sircus Tower raid we take the stairs up, but in the Twinning the front door is just blown up and we go into the centre.

It seemed like you went pretty drat deep to get to the Dimensional Brake.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

SirPhoebos posted:

It seemed like you went pretty drat deep to get to the Dimensional Brake.

Not far enough. The entrance cutscene of Orthros shows you swimming around in the green muck below the brake.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yeah, the Twinning's final section and Eureka Orthos are specifically in the same weird green underground space. The area is definitely accounted for.

If Noah's final speech can be believed it probably wasn't very dangerous for very long down there. A bunch of that poo poo just dying of natural causes a couple hundred years in the future wouldn't be too surprising.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, the Twinning's final section and Eureka Orthos are specifically in the same weird green underground space. The area is definitely accounted for.

If Noah's final speech can be believed it probably wasn't very dangerous for very long down there. A bunch of that poo poo just dying of natural causes a couple hundred years in the future wouldn't be too surprising.

Especially when everything else is dying from hosed up aether.

I do find it amusing to note that G'raha Tia, world's softest catboy, owns three (3) murder basements though and we've had to clean out all of them.

Which really says more about the Allagans/having to make an artificial (or summon? that's not clear) Alexander though.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Cleretic posted:

Interesting that Azys Lla became a hosed-up but self-sustaining ecosystem of horrible often-cyborg mutants breeding and trying to escape for potentially thousands of years, but Orthos is just totally uninhabitable without its researchers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

"One day in ten years, you will leave your catgirl afk in a club on the moon run by moon rabbits so you can chill to an EDM remix of the latest expansion theme." is probably not something I would've believed when I started playing this game.

What a journey its been.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jetrauben posted:

Interesting that Azys Lla became a hosed-up but self-sustaining ecosystem of horrible often-cyborg mutants breeding and trying to escape for potentially thousands of years, but Orthos is just totally uninhabitable without its researchers.

I mean, yeah, Azys Lla is an ecosystem after all. It's hosed-up and insane and there's a bunch of weird prehistoric sea creatures in it, but it's got plants, there's fish, herbivores, sustainable life cycles; I'm not great at biology but I can't really say it's missing any key ways to become self-sustaining, nor does it have any huge existential issues that'd stop it doing so. Hell, at least one of its fish (the euphotic pirarucu) is explicitly mentioned as being really easy to breed and catch while being really nutritious, so I can buy it.

Meanwhile, Orthos is a bunch of once- sterile labs filled with nothing but purpose-built weapons, both bio- and regular. Sure, a few floors have some overgrowth going, but it doesn't really seem like anything inside there is both alive and not carnivorous, so I can't really see how it could become sustainable. It's missing the core 'middle' chunk of the food chain.

Fun fact: in talking to a Fish Lore Knower, it turns out most of Azys Lla's fish have relatives in the Azim Steppe or the Thanalan. The Azim Steppe makes sense since the Burn was where it originally launched from, but the Thanalan we figured might be there because they were planning how to conquer and colonize Meracydia, which is pretty close on climate as far as we know.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 9, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It makes me curious if Thanalan's supposed previously verdant nature before desertification was a sign that the Allagans turned their prowess towards making it green themselves at one point, or if the region had only ever been like that before the Sundering - that Amh Araeng is also in a similar state of climate and was known to have been so long before the Flood of Light suggests that it wasn't, as some Eorzean historians hypothesize, made that way by the Calamity of Fire (or that if it was, it was only really set back to an unattended state - though it wouldn't have been the Empire of Allag's work involved, in such a case). Both herbivorous megafauna remains found on the Source and creatures like the Samiel existing on the First (even if they at least haven't truly made their home in the desert region for who knows how long) makes at least a small case for some truth to the notion, however. Maybe the Final Days screwed up the region and the Ancients never got around to fixing it. They DID have deserts as part of environmental testing in Ktisis Hyperboreia, though.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Hogama posted:

It makes me curious if Thanalan's supposed previously verdant nature before desertification was a sign that the Allagans turned their prowess towards making it green themselves at one point, or if the region had only ever been like that before the Sundering - that Amh Araeng is also in a similar state of climate and was known to have been so long before the Flood of Light suggests that it wasn't, as some Eorzean historians hypothesize, made that way by the Calamity of Fire (or that if it was, it was only really set back to an unattended state - though it wouldn't have been the Empire of Allag's work involved, in such a case). Both herbivorous megafauna remains found on the Source and creatures like the Samiel existing on the First (even if they at least haven't truly made their home in the desert region for who knows how long) makes at least a small case for some truth to the notion, however. Maybe the Final Days screwed up the region and the Ancients never got around to fixing it. They DID have deserts as part of environmental testing in Ktisis Hyperboreia, though.

And deserts are an essential part of any healthy ecosystem. Thanalan is actually a pretty healthy desert for the most part; most of it is merely semi-arid to arid, and seems to have a climate closer to the nicer parts of the American Southwest. There's more than enough plant life and animal life to support a decent human population, it's just concentrated around oases. Only southern Thanalan is a true erg/sand sea.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It might just be that scholars are wrong. Since the info we have is from an in universe pov, the fact that perhaps “Thanalan used to be verdant until the Calamity of Fire” is just a myth by later peoples made history is not off the table.

It can also be that perhaps the lore masters decided to retcon it in favor of making Amh Araeng more obviously Thanalan-y, making my explanation only correct in retrospect. That’s the advantage of having your lorebooks be written from an in universe pov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Before the lorebooks, I was thinking more of Bryegot's Strike and their reason for hunting for Allagan ruins in the area. And the fossil record is something tangible in-universe to build ideas off of, but it's not like there's no other explanation for their presence in an area (or even that they have perfectly identified the remains). There was also a 1.0 NPC convinced of the former lushness of the region, but 1.0 is even more susceptible to retcons, especially in periphery details like that.