Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The best part is that the WoLs job in the convocation was literally diplomat/adventurer, and presumably thats how Azem started popping up everywhere as a sun god.
The symbol on the crystal of azem is the alchemical symbol for the sun, and azem is Hebrew for 'strength'. So the seat of Azem is the 'wandering star' of the convocation as well as the 'sun'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

lol that they gave the G-Warrior Trans-Am and a fin funnel barrier. They really went all in with this one.

https://twitter.com/ArsyFFXIV/status/1293421962656657410

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Given how Azem is a title, there must have been multiple azems who wandered the world as superhuman giants with who could create whatever they needed to solve problems.

And if people built sun-emblazoned monuments to an azem for their heroism, then they get misinterpreted as a god or goddess after a long cycle of populations getting wiped out amd resetting the area and finding what appears to be a shrine to a sun deity.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why does Cid say 'that sounds familiar' if you choose the option 'G-warrior, engage!' in the sapphire weapon fight?
Is that line another gundam reference?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So if elidibus was the role of 'young king'/moderator of the council, then I wonder if there was an age limit where when an elidibus gets too old they retire from their position and become a bureaucrat or debater or something and a new one is appointed.

This relies on the whole 'elidibus is a position for a young prodigy' theory being right however.

As an aside, I kinda get frustrated a bit when it seems like people forget that the council of 14 names are also government positions with many predecessors using that name.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hydaelyn has been growing weaker and weaker ever since she was made. She was made with a very defined purpose, something clearly intended to make up for the far fewer Ancients who sacrificed themselves to stop Zodiark

I wonder if it becomes very clearly terminal or something as the final battle in 6.0 approaches and the WOL gets summoned to the heart to speak with Venat.
Who explains that shes going to use the last of her strength to transform Hydaelyn into her core concepts: The Shield of Light to defend the weak and The Sword of Light to sunder anything.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda want to know about other Azems.

The ones that held that seat before the last one that the WoL is a reincarnation of.

There could totally have been ex-Azems that stepped down because they fell in love with some particular part of the word they traveled through.

When you have super long lived ancients, having a whole bunch of emet-selchs, lahabreas, etc around because they stepped down for one reason or another after serving for a long time seems reasonable.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Big spoilers incoming for the level 89 trial boss.

So the penultimate trial boss is Hydaelyn herself. She is testing the Wol.
She recites a modified, perhaps complete version of 'Hear, Feel, Think' while her big attack phase with adds is going on.
Hear...The song of creation's end...
Feel... The sorrow at hope's demise...
Think... And find your way in the darkness...
Follow your light... Or fly, my children, and never look back!
Then she does the Hydaelyn kick pose and hits everyone with Exodus.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Minor spoilers for estinien in thanavir.

Estinien going to Thanavir and getting ambushed by overeager indian-accented alchemists who notice all the congealed dragon blood on his weapon and that he's been infused with dragon blood ever since being possessed by NIddhog is so loving funny. They surround him like a horde of zombies who desperately want his blood.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Olympus posted:

I mean it was basically right, an entirely correct reading of all the evidence and drawing some very natural conclusions

it just got the specific fancy lad wrong

Spoilers for Amons true id.

Yeah, and I love the fact that Amon got recruited right at the end by Emet-selch because of how he had turned Allag back into a horrible conqueror by cloning Xande. Amon unleashed an empire that was perfect for the Ascians to operate for and against to set up a new calamity.

That's what Emet-selch was doing, trying to recreate what Amon/Fandaniel did to the Allagans and apply it to the Garleans.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's an amazing Statler and Waldorf moment at the very end, before the final battle.

The Wol summons Emet-selch and Hythlodaeus from the afterlife with his Azem crystal to have them use creation magic to make a path to the final boss.

Emet-selch immediately realizes he forgot the Azem crystal could do that while complaining about being forced to watch everything going on in the story and not getting any rest.

Hythlodaeus was also being forced to watch everything, but he's a huge theater geek and loved watching everything in the story while munching popcorn. He's happy to have a bit part in this gripping tale.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pobrecito posted:

Everything dealing with [4th zone spoilers] the moon has been nutballs in the greatest way.

A few screengrabs I took.

4th zone spoilers
I loving love how the Loporrits idea of fashion for thancred was adding white leopard fur cuffs and collar to an red modified amaurotine robe. He looks like santa pimp.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Regarding one of the postgame dungeons, smileton:
I love how the plot for is that the 'Rebuild every residence at 1/3 scale' order caused a Loporrit to decide to make a big construction bot, but was so indecisive and contradictory in giving commands that it went wild.

And now you're going through a mc escher landscape being constructed by rogue 3d printers.

The dungeon does well in showing the sheer amount of space the Loporrits have to work with on the moon.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 7, 2021

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Begemot posted:

I do love that the explanation for all the weird monsters in Eitherys is just "they were made up by people who wanted to make the world more interesting." The diegetic and real-life reasons are the same!

Also they finally explained why aquatic enemies can fly! I was never sure if that was just a convenient graphical cheat or if they were literally flying around, but now we know.

I kinda wonder what life on etherys was like before the amaurotines.

The sheer amount of ambient aether probably didn't put as much evolutionary pressure on various species, and subsisting on aether would be a really common strategy.

And then the Amaurotine civilization comes along, and a bunch of bored biologists/artists start making new species to add variety to environments where they've seen everything.

One guy makes a 'fantasy' drawing of a fantastical beast, shows it off to everyone, then a bunch of amaurotines put their heads together and start trying to make a creature just like the art because it was so cool.

No wonder they placed such value on art that there was a convocation seat dedicated to it, it was pretty much step 1 of making something brand new in amaurot.

I kinda wonder how the shark fad started. Some gal looks at the concept for cartilage and realizes that you could make 'boneless' fish that are pretty big, and starts going through the concepts and tries to assemble a biology and figure out where in the food chain its gonna be.

Then she shows off this cool shark, and suddenly everyone's trying to come up with variants or modifications for different environments or places on the food chain.

I totally bet amaurotines with less aether tried their hands at making something smaller that they could create, giving rise to smaller shark species.

Then you get someone who was working on the 'sky ocean' environment start tinkering with the sharks and now there are flying ones.
Then some student gets the idea for a bunch of flying sharks to cooperatively cast a tornado spell as a instinctual hunting strategy to suck in prey, and thats how sharknados are born.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, and if we're gonna talk elpis lore, the gamerscape wiki has all the sidequests and their dialogue and key item descriptions for elpis on it.

Ought to help a ton in keeping facts straight.
https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Elpis_Sidequests

spoilers for the sidequest Sing, O Mews

quote:

We were fortunate that it was a happy accident this time, of course. You know how it is─someone yells, “surprise!” and suddenly you've created a stunted serpent with yellow stripes or some nonsense. We can't have that.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I see the idea of 'you can't get rid of suffering, but you can minimize it', best explained as 'you might not like some food or art someone else loves, but you can minimize the suffering by making agreements and such about boundaries both sides respect'.

The minor dislikes people have about things other people love is a form of suffering. You cannot get rid of the minor frictions and conflicts in society without removing everything good about it as well.

You can feed the poor and eradicate disease, but getting rid of day-to-day social suffering people experience just by living and thinking will never happen.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope that they do more with the ragnarok in future patches.

Because if it exists in its dock and at the other end of the galaxy at the same time, the other location needs a enclosed dock or something to stop micrometeors and floating debris from damaging the ship as its being used as a portal.

Plus there's all the bizzare life in space, and you don't want voidweed or cosmic barnacles to start growing on it.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, so the Loporrits are moon hobbits.
https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Replipirarucu
From the fishing log.
Replipirarucu

quote:

An ancient wavekin concept, this species was revived through equally ancient processes. Its odd coloration, however, is new─an apparent result of lackadaisical Loporrits breaking for second breakfast whilst they were meant to be overseeing the fish's reconstruction.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Omicrons turned themselves into data, and even still felt despair enough to be recorded and recreated in Ultima Thule.

And then Stigma-1 reactivated on alphatron after the Endsinger was destroyed, releasing the souls to return to their planets lifestreams; then sent the message of 'live' that got received by the copies on Ultima Thule.

So yeah, the stuff about copies having a right to live is directly applicable to ffxiv even outside its Nier crossover.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So the start of the studium faculty of medicine quest has randomized descriptions for the description of the awful food you try.
Here's the various options the game can choose.

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Perfectly_Awful#Dialogue

quote:

The initial flavor is
(1)akin to chewing on rotten garbage
(2)one of otherworldly astringency
(3)so complex as to be unidentifiable
(4)like a numbness in the tip of your tongue
(5)akin to mushy grain filling your mouth
(6)like a rush of indescribable hatred
(7)like savoring the absurdity of mankind
(8)an affront to the gods themselves

, which gradually transitions into

(1)an overwhelming sensation of nausea
(2)a feeling of intense regret
(3)a hauntingly unpleasant aftertaste
(4)an overall sense of crushing emptiness
(5)a disturbingly solid mass of congealed blandness
(6)a sense of deep and abiding despair
(7)an awareness of your own futility in the face of inexorable fate
(8)a bleakly entropic aftertaste

It is quite possibly the worst thing you have ever eaten.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So Hydaelyn herself apparently made certificates of authenticity for her crafting drop before she died.
https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Crystal_of_Divine_Light

Crystal of Divine Light

quote:

Includes a unique serial number and certificate of authenticity supposedly signed by Hydaelyn Herself.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow, there's some great stuff in the fishing log for ultima thule.

One fish is actually a sapient being.

Class Twenty-four

quote:

A member of the seventh civilization with which Meteion came into contact, this many-legged entity's culture prizes the number of limbs one possesses above all else, seeing each as a mark of higher intellect. One can only imagine its despair at being fished up by a primitive organism with a mere four.

This one is a botched attempt at immortality.

Space Bishop

quote:

Once sentient and vaguely manlike, this creature accidentally transformed itself into a desiccated husk following a botched attempt at immortality. Now, it can do naught save drift sadly along the currents of the cosmos.

Another the eye of a extradimensional being.
E.B.E.-9318

quote:

Though it resembles naught so much as a free-floating eyeball, the Ea insist that this creature is in fact a mere appendage of an “extra-dimensional” entity with which they made contact during their “space-time exploration phase,” meant to keep an eye on the observable cosmos. Those familiar with said cosmos attest that in either case, it has likely “seen some things.”

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well she dwells at the core of the star pulling a wizard of oz routine with a giant magic crystal in a world where magic crystals are a source of power.

Plus every civilization has tales of mighty heroes communing with her, and she is a semi-universal cultural concept on the planet thanks to 16000 years of warriors of light meeting her.

And Hydaelyn doesn't look like any race or species of people, she made the decision to pretend to be a giant crystal to everyone meeting her.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, after the end of the game, Ultima thule is directly connected to Ethyeris via the Ragnarok.

Doesn't that mean that a fuckton of dynamis could flow into old sharlayan ambiently just by virtue of how much is in Ultima Thule and the No-longer-dead star?

Or did Emet Selch and Hythlodaeus putting up the hope-based structural supports for Ultima thule so the load-bearing scions could be people again + the defeat of the endsinger solve this issue because the entire place is now solid and real and all the free-flowing dynamis is used up?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Valentin posted:

unbelievable that the community in general isn't talking about this more. venat spent 12,000 years pretending to be a rock? A rock that was basically just a giant clot of aether?

what did she do in the early sundering when, I assume, the rock was much smaller?

Yeah, I was surprised there wasn't comedic fanart of Hydaelyn as Oz or other stuff.

But pretending to be a giant crystal is a smart move because of all the various sapient species that could awaken to the echo and not have a humanoid body type. Much easier to be a big talking crystal and not give any humanoid races ideas about racial superiority because they look like Hydaelyn.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Considering the Ancients also had wildly different levels of personal aether, I wonder if the whole social rule of not displaying your individuality through your clothes except in specific circumstances was a deliberate attempt by one of the previous convocations to try and solve a social problem.

Namely, dealing with the issue of those ancients who would lord their talents and aether reserves over others via ridiculous, ever more complex clothes and special effect enchantments.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Zenos in the end is someone who could have been so much more if he was born into a different culture. But Garlemald broke and twisted him at a young age, and now he is a man trying to recreate that one transcendent moment he felt joy.

He is a both a tyrannical monster and pitiable victim of Garlemald.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jetrauben posted:

EXCUSE ME, why is there a Dracula

This is just more evidence for me "ok the robes were the public thing but at every opportunity Ancients dressed to the nines or came up with bitchin' fighting mode forms."

Also interesting: Erichthonios refers to him thinking you were just a mercenary. Which establishes that mercenaries are a thing in the Unsundered World, and further emphasizes that fighting and adventure totally happened.
Yeah, it seems like being blinged out with your clothes and transformations was something Not Done in public spaces. But in more combat-heavy or private places you could be yourself.

It feels like public conformity and lack of individuality might have been a very deliberate response to too much bling and magic effects getting in the way of running day-to-day society in cities like Amaurot.

Plus there's the reflexive use/misfiring of creation magic when ancients get startled or distracted. You don't want the people who maintain all the stuff in the city to get distracted by others.

I bet theaters where loving wild in their set design and costuming/transformations.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jetrauben posted:

I kinda wonder how much of it was even really conformity so much as "look, there's a time and place for your cosplay, and going to get your groceries or attending a public meeting isn't it. Save it for the holidays/theater/throwing down."

I do kinda wonder what role combat played in the Unsundered World, since there was presumably occasion for it. Was it largely ceremonial? Thrill-seeking?
Given the fact that there was a mythic creation holding facility and the creations definitely had to be disabled before being brought to pandaemonium, plus the existence of mercenaries means that there is a martial culture of some sort, and there are the fancy combat transformations.

Plus there has to be someone to put down rogue creations. One of the convocation seats Hythlodaeus mentioned in elpis is the one that deals with state security and such.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love how Pandaemonium's first wing is just a big love letter to castlevania.

The transition from elpis to vampire castle is kinda shocking.

If the current Lahabrea is responsible to the outer wards, who the hell was responsible for the architecture?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love how the Susanoo summoning happened in such a natural way as a consequence of the sheer amount of faith the Kojin had channeled into the 3 sacred treasures and the red kojin putting all their treasures and aether crystals in one big vault.

The whole place was charged with so much faith and aether that just bringing the jewel into the room made a primal form.

To sharlayan scholars on etheris it could be kinda like finding that natural nuclear reactor they found in africa, it could technically happen, but to actually have a real example of a natural primal summoning is amazing.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hopeandjoy posted:

All of you, shut up and let’s talk about something more important.

High School AU Emet-Selch is 3rd year’s advisor and the school’s guidance councilor and he wears crocs with dress trousers and a tie.

https://twitter.com/djyuuji/status/1474110658354552843?s=21

Lol, searched "emet crocs" on Twitter to see the reactions to the revelation that high school au Emet-selch wears crocs. I found this tweet from a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/GAlNSBOROUGH/status/1472701362161045508

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lord_Magmar posted:

WIII-LD FRE-AKS

It is a good rear end song, and I’m pretty sure the villain is going to believe that the Ancients should take their place as all powerful gods. Embracing their monstrous transformations and most dangerous creations.

Yeah, and they will probably spout some drivel about how society is lazy and that only those who push the limits should live or something.

It feels like the ancients in Pandaemonium are going to be half mind control victims, half ancients who joined up because this place is basically a weapons lab and all the people who didn't like the current culture of the ancients self-selected jobs as warders.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Clarste posted:

Eh, I got the impression that it's leading up to a "mad scientist using forbidden magicks to revive his dead wife" kinda thing. First of all why else would they even mention Athena, and second of all there's this obsession with immortality in particular, not just strength.

Eh, I see the immortality as a part of this reaction to the dominant culture where the ancients seek to build an environment and die when they feel its right.

Its culture where willingly dying after a long career is seen as normal, even if those close to them are heartbroken.

But it sounds like from Ericthonos's telling that it might have been a accident or escaped test subject in pandaemonium that killed her.

So then Lahabrea becomes obsessed with obtaining power and resilience so he doesn't die before its right, then asked himself 'why even die at all, when we can use our powers to become GODS!'.

And then why not just throw off the self-imposed shackles about making creatures 'for the star' or 'valuing the arts and culture of others'. The ancients already justify myriad cruelties to their creations unthinkingly, lets openly embrace this path of chaos and cruelty to become gods!

These lines from the song seem relevant.
Come here! Drink deep! Break free!

Stand strong! Walk free! Go forth!

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No, we fight gregs evil goateed counterpart from the First!

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gearhead posted:

In all honesty, though, unless they brainwash everyone AGAIN I have a hard time imagining that they make Lahabrea into a directly responsible party here. Nobody would've trusted him with the terrible work of building Zodiark if he'd actually gone supervillain. Now what is interesting, is introducing the idea that Lahabrea had a son who is an expert in binding magics.

Could this be who The Watcher was based on?

Ooo, great point!

The ENTIRE moon is a giant physical prison for Zodiark, so the design would have to be in a way that there is one way in or out, and thats through the 6 brands where aether is allowed to circulate.

Designing the material composition of the moon, calculating the geometry of the core, making blueprints and scale models of the brands and moon to test stuff...

Yeah, I could see Ericthonos being the main designer behind the moon itself even if he didn't have the power to see his vision though. He probably sacrificed himself to form Hydaelyn, and she pulled on all his memories to construct the moon in that chaotic moment when the world was split 14 ways and everything hadn't come apart completely.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, waitaminute. The theme for the last boss in pandaemonium has a ton of references to the moon... but there never was a moon in the unsundered world.

I kinda wonder if the idea of a big orbiting body that could generate tides in the ocean was discussed in the words of mitron. They made skyfish, so its not inconceivable.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

Are you suggesting that the Sahagin are Hydaelyn's real chosen people? Because come to think of it, they are the only spoken race whose whole life is influenced by the tides.

Nah, just thinking out loud about if the idea for adding a moon to etheris was discussed in ancient society before the sundering.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, the wol saw the world rotting after Zodiark was beaten, and the watcher said it was a ripple from the future seen via echo.

Azem might have an echo so powerful that they are a legitimate prophet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The utter chaos as the Loporrits scrambled to demolish and rebuild everything thanks to the scions showing up; plus the generalized chaos as the Loporrits figure out what the heck they are going to do with everything they've built now that the moonship isn't needed is a pretty good explanation of why they haven't updated the friend/foe ids for their robots.

I kinda hope the Loporrits take advantage of their moonbase and set up some sorta Doctors WIthout Borders or disaster relief organization. They really want to do good in the world, and quickly made homes, food, and clothes would be great for civilians in the aftermath of natural disasters.