Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Potato Jones posted:

Zenos is going to eat Fandaniel.

Frankly I was fully expecting him to not even make it out of that scene alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I too was half expecting some sort of gag where Alphinaud and Alisaie got mixed up, even though it wouldn’t tonallly fit

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

To bring this back to ascian ranks, my impression is that there are basically three "tiers" - you had the three unsundered of Emet, Elidibus, and Lahabrea, who survived the sundering of zodiark whole and are largely a continuous existence. They are the ones who are effectively immortal, you've gotta lock em down and hit them with a Blade of Light to fully kill them, because they're a whole and powerful Ancient soul. the sundered ascians are the rest of the original Convocation of 14, who were shattered by Hydaelyn, but the big three were able to more or less put them back together, such as nabriales or drat daniel. They're almost as powerful, and can pull most of the same tricks, but they can't necessarily self-resurrect as easily due to being a shattered soul, which is why Ardbert and company were able to kill the poo poo out of two of them, and if fandaniel's shenanigans are any indication they seem to have more of a connection to their mortal identity and, as a result, potentially more mundane interests. The bottom tier don't even have names, just assigned titles, which leads me to believe that they're just shards of random ancients that Emet and co. came across and offered to power up. These guys are just total mooks, like the ascians you nuke the poo poo out of in the summoner quests, and are basically toast if you hit them with enough aether in one go (say: a deathflare), no fancy bullshit needed.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

What interests me about the Zenos/fandaniel dynamic is that Fandaniel very clearly does not know what he’s loving with by being in Zenos’ proximity, and he’s seemingly got a whole song and dance routine he relies on that’s just falling loving flat in this instance, because zenos doesn’t give a poo poo about anything he can offer aside from facilitating his 1v1s.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Vitamean posted:

drat daniel will be dead by level 85.

I mean, assuming Zenos doesn’t murk him by 5.5

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

So wait - Venat and Fandaniel are two different ascians, right? Or are they the same?

We saw Venat in 5.2 and Fandaniel in 5.3, but I thought they were both using the Asahi body?

That was just people speculating at the time, there was never any actual indication that Venat was the one piloting asahi around.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I'm betting that if we do have to kill Hydaelyn it'll be less of a "ha ha, crystal mom was actually evil the whole time" situation and more of a Terminator 2 style "I cannot self terminate" deal where once Zodiark gets yeeted, Hydaelyn no longer serves any purpose and needs the WoL to banish her with extreme prejudice so she doesn't suck up the aether making up reality just by existing

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Well, re: voice, it was pointed out that elidibus’ Japanese VA sounds a lot younger than his wisened old wizard voice in English, and also the dub staff may just have not had enough turnaround time to hire someone younger sounding for the role, even if they did realize the twist.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think the whole "you're punching a baby" angle is a crude caricature of a reading that could easily make sense if you imagine someone Alphinaud's age at the heart of it

I don’t think anyone’s claimed otherwise, like, nobody’s saying he was the amaurotian equivalent of an 8 year old, but model size plus the way other members of the council talk to him in flashbacks pretty heavily imply that he’s an aphinaud-style Precocious Teen if anything.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

unk isn't in stasis, he's just chillin'. if you pop in on him during shadowbringers he'll have updating dialogue reflecting various poo poo you've done.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Probably from the sun's aether.

Final boss fight will use Super Nova (veni veni venias)

Supernova already exists, proto-ultima casts it instead of Ultima as its enrage

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Zenos kinda has the same thing going on as yotsuyu and fordola where he was just given a poo poo hand and was never really given a chance to turn out any other way, but while they were relentlessly abused by their situation, zenos was getting it from the other direction of just having his worst possible impulses reinforced constantly and nobody ever being willing to try and stop him. Its not that him being an autistic-coded child is why he’s Like That, but that nobody actually tried to make him a good person or learn better and nobody tried to rein him in at all, ever, when he decided to be the bloodthirsty Murder Prince, because that was superficially virtuous to the garlean might makes right ethos.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 14, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Vitamean posted:

Nidhogg's eye absorbs Lahabrea (?)

You’re misremembering a bit, the WoL uses nidhogg’s eye to kill Igeyorm in conjunction with the auracite, but Lahabrea gets killed by Thordan directly, who uses the second eye to power himself up and just brute forces the matter with primal strength before eating his aether, because that’s how primals do.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

To be fair I think the eyes get topped off a couple times, from thordan eating lahabrea/his arther presumably collapsing back into it upon dying, etc

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I mean those murals aren’t particularly detailed, they might just not be showing the finer points of how, say, hrothgals could be fully fur-covered with full size fangs, etc

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Ysayle is basically the fantasy version of those people who travel overseas to join ISIS.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Innocence made the mistake of crossing the Amano Line, much like omega and Elidibus, which doomed him to getting his rear end kicked by the WoL.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

With regards to fancy Dan, him being a classical “I’m just so goddamn crazy!!!!” world ending nihilist seems almost too pat, imo. I imagine there are two possibilities here: either A, his whole show at the Royal menagerie is just that, a show, and his actual motivations are something more specific with the song and dance being a misdirection, or B, he actually is trying to blow up the world, but it’s as a result of some other, greater influence, say for instance the Sound that triggered the final days in the first place.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

The best thing about Drakengard is how all the party members are loving atrocious criminals

Yeah it really cannot be emphasized enough that, traditionally, the protagonists of Drakengard games are usually real pieces of poo poo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

He’s writing it and I think the devs have been letting him have soft approval on the raids themselves, since just before 5.3 there were anecdotes about him asking for more danmaku and wanting them to put in a mechanic where one player could wipe the whole raid by pressing a button

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I would not be surprised if the specific intent of that scene was for you to think it was azem’s spirit/hythlodaeus for a second or two until the snap and wave hits you.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yeah I kinda figured the implication was that once zodiark was freed from his wack-rear end lunar prison he could rewrite the laws of reality sufficiently to get around the whole 13th problem, the risk was that if they kept loving up shards like that they’d never be able to get to the “free zodiark” step.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

hazardousmouse posted:

fukkin NICE! what top is that?

the flame elite caster top, you buy it with allied marks you get from hunts or the blue mage challenges.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I actually remember reading somewhere that a couple of the localizations had mitron using explicitly feminine pronouns, interestingly enough, though I don’t speak French/German/Spanish so I can’t confirm myself.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Iirc one of the first bits of dialogue once you enter bozja is either marsak or basaljien warning you that the IVth legion more or less explicitly reject garlean combat doctrine in favor of “the old ways,” because they’re well away from the imperial core and likely aren’t getting reinforcements anyway so they’ll make do with what they know.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Thordan is just the normal but backwards

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

“[X] is actually a critique of [players/viewers]” has never been a take I find very interesting, in part because it seems less about analyzing a narrative and more about having an axe to grind with a particular subset of fan thats Liking Things Wrong

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Fascism is an intentionally squishy and vague classification of ideology so as to make convincing people of the benefits of fascism easier, it is inherently dynamic in nature to prevent criticism and a nation can still be quite thoroughly fascist even if they only embody 7 out of 10 of whatever criteria you’re using to define it at that given moment, hope this helps

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

the tenzen link is that he was probably a Warrior of Light, but people confuse that implication for him being the warrior of light but a past life version.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Turn egis into Stands and have them modify your basic abilities like ruin, etc.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Or perhaps the devs are just really stretched thin? The Werlyt storyline hyped up marching from Terncliff to liberate the city of Werlyt... but then we never went to Werlyt. Maybe FF16 is sucking devs away from FF14?

I don’t think there’s anything like devs being reassigned going on because by all accounts, Yoshida’s greatest strength is as a project manager and he would not do something so stupid as actively compromise SE’s biggest consistent money maker, even if it is for the next mainline FF game. I think it’s a simple matter of them downplaying just how bad an effect COVID really had on their development environment.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

We got plenty of yoko taro stuff, it was just focused around the dwarves rather than the sexy cameobots

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Someone should take Pagaga to Ala Mhigo to meet her father’s family

field notes indicate she’s living on the run with Lyon currently

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I have a feeling that most of the stuff in lyon and noah’s field notes is gonna get reiterated and covered again as the intro to whatever the next thing they do with Matsuno is, since they’re very clearly planning to do more what with the whole allagan weapon teaser. In particular: I believe that either Noah -is- dead but he ordered Lyon to kill him rather than succumb to whatever disease he had, or he faked his death with Lyon’s help. Either way, the idea that Lyon went rogue is not in keeping with his behavior at all, so there’s definitely some shenanigans about.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Have they ever gone into out of combat medical care and in combat healing because the last time I remember something explicit it was when Ishgardians were being amazed that their wounds were disappearing in an AST job quest.

The game in general is extremely inconsistent about the actual practical efficacy of healing magic, especially about how effective it is at healing life threatening trauma. In general it seems to hover around the idea that healing magic as practiced by the WoL is more like extremely efficient first aid.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Lyon is absolutely loyal to Gabranth, his whole deal is that he’s basically a shounen character but 30 years past his bishonen days and working for the bad guys. He keeps getting punished for disobedience, yeah, but he’s disobeying because he wants to do right for his boss and is too much of an impulsive dipshit to think past his axe.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I know it’s just a gameplay thing but it’s worth noting re: blm that when we play NPCs like y’shtola or g’raha or Nyelbert, their black magic explicitly does not work like our black magic, in that they do not have astral/umbral stances or the constant enochian upkeep.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Gunbreaker: depends on your definition. Almost all of the Blades of Gunnhildr are dead: the official guards of the queen were killed off when Bozja was conquered by Garlemald and when the citadel was nuked. And then almost all of the Bozjan Resistance Blades of Gunnhildr are killed off during the Bozja storyline. There are still many people who use gunblades, but they don't possess the job crystal or weren't taught by Bozjans. The Gunblade is the weapon of choice for Garlean officers ranked Centurion and above.

You absolutely wouldn’t call the garleans gunbreakers by any definition because aside from the obvious National and ideological differences, garlean gun[weapons] are completely mechanically different than bozjan gunblades, being essentially mundane weapons with ceruleum-powered projectile weapons bolted on with varying levels of finesse, while bozjan gunblades use stored aether charges for various purposes and aren’t really projectile weapons at all.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

For goodness sake, to say that they were overtly fascist is to say they were equivalent to Imperialist Japan and Nazi Germany, which is just not true.

The nazis directly, explicitly, modeled their blood quantum system and extermination plans after american Jim Crow laws and the Native American genocide, so you might want to rethink that line buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

aers posted:

Aren't they changing roulettes to split by regen/shield healer role so you dont get sage+sch in one group?

It’s gonna be a stealth weighting thing, iirc, like how they always try to weight roulette selections to have a balance between ranged/magic and melee dps. The game will try to place healers in such a way to avoid redundancy but it’s not gonna make people wait extra time if possible just to ensure that balance.