Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Hey, so how many data files did folks find in the Nier Raid Part 2. Because I found 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Cabbit posted:

Somebody mentioned Urianger talking about some stuff back on the Source-- where is that? Where's he hiding out at.

Inside the Rising Stones in the sick room

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Eopia posted:

I found 11 myself.

I only found 10.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, some thoughts.

Fandaniel's represented by the Leo star sign. The Leo crystal in Amaurot had a rather interesting line.

As well, given the association with the lion, and Ascians taking the forms of primals/summons now...

Could Fandaniel be Griever?

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'll admit, the idea of this semi-immortal ancient being finding the concept and use of money to be the most loving hilarious thing is very amusing.

I have a feeling Fandaniel's not really 'into' the whole idea of Zodiark or anything. As far as he was concerned that was the prerogative of the unsundered. He just wants to be rich and immortal.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Has anyone else matched Ascian to constellation to soul stone line? I don't really know my star signs off by eye.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

Also make Alisiae just very slightly taller

What, than she currently is?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, Shiva Unreal battle report for the day. The first two runs ended at 100% when people left without even starting to fight. The second run ended at 80% when the concept of "Turn the sword" and "add phase" passed over people wearing i500 gear.

Run 3 actually went rather well, a new PUG, we got to 20% and died to enrage, no problem. We got to 18% next time but the party wiped. Final run ended at 50% It was a mostly fine run except I'm still not great at tank swapping and also the Raid leader insisted on having the entire raid run north for Sword phase to take the slash. Even after the Sword-Tank said "I can just turn it." Spoilers: No one ran north to take the cleave.

Conclusion: The Enrage is REALLY TIGHT and also if a Raid leader isn't a tank they really shouldn't determine how a tank handles a tank mechanic...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That is really strange. The enrage requirement didn't seem particularly harsh to me. I even had a run with a couple of deaths where we still didn't come close to Enrage.

Was someone not DPSing properly or something?

Not sure, I don't use a Parse so I wasn't keeping an eye on it. From my own performance, I got caught up in doing filler combo's rather than my proper Paladin rotation multiple times. And we needed to hard LB3 Healers to get us up on the 20% run.

EDIT: Oh I should also confirm that this was a PUG. I don't have a static yet.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 17, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I've made it to 15% on prog. Main issues are I'm still really bad at keeping Shiva turned to not make the entire raid have to run to dodge bow. And being really bad at handling the circles while also doing that. this Enrage is REALLY tight.

EDIT: CLEARED! I AM NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN! HOLY gently caress!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 17, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I repeat. Griever.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I think the biggest stand out to me with Kidibus, is when my friend and I were going through the Solo duty, it just came across as... super childish? Like Elidibus is making us cut down the Scions and such and acting really... simple in his morality. To the point where it just came across as a child's understanding of good and bad.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I am a bit disappointed because Zenos's comment about not giving a poo poo about ruling and Varis's horrified look that he was about to be killed by his son, not for anything like power or greed, but simply because Varis was in the way of Zenos getting to fight the WoL again. Then again it's easy to take it back as Zenos is being forced onto the throne by Fandaniel and he's so utterly bored because he just does not care.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

What I mean is that concepts seem to be persistent and stored in physical vessels. Coherent platonic ideals.

Basically, the things we see in Anyder that the Cyclops, for instance, pops out of.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

jokes posted:

Didn't Gaius rescue and care for those orphans? I mean he's probably the closest to true evil because he's unrepentant about his conquering/warcrimes so far, it seems. I imagine they're gonna try to redeem him.

It's been a thing from the beginning that Gaius took in and looked after War Orphans, and that he was explicitly a dyed in the wool believer that, no, Garlemald was doing a good thing. Like he genuinely believes that he's doing a 'good thing' by taking over Ala Mhigo, replacing their culture with Garlean culture and 'taming the land'. Keeping in mind his proposal for the Skulls was entirely a way for Ala Mhigan children to be more accepted by the Garleans and he believed it would help to ease the cultural dominance.

He's WRONG, explicitly, and a whole bunch of everything that's been around since he revealed he's actually a hot granddad is to hammer in how wrong he is and how badly he's hosed up so many lives.

Remember that the greatest evil is committed often not by those who are evil for the sake of it, but those convinced they're doing evil for "Your sake" and that's what made Gaius so frightening. Unlike Zenos, who doesn't give a poo poo and just wants to indulge in his murder boner, Gaius truly brought into the hype. It's also why even now the WoL is not 'friendly' to Gaius, their response is, at best, a tense "For now, I'll endure your existence."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Cleretic posted:

My hope with Gaius is that, since he's core to a Gundam storyline, they go full Gundam in their treatment of him.

Gundam holds no love for earnest fascists. You can fight in the fascist army without believing in their cause and be redeemable, but if you honestly believe in that then all you deserve is death. And I feel like the Weapon arc ending with that would work.

Gaius has to live to see everything he loved and cared about be destroyed before his eyes. He'll get to live, he'll get to live to watch the children he cared about die, his country be shattered beyond recognition, everything that was 'Garlemald' that he fought with honor for, to be destroyed. He already had his sense of accomplishment shattered by Lahabrea, and really... is there any greater embarrassment, than having it be Lahabrea who manipulated you?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AstrialJam posted:

Does Gaius know that the entire empire was ground up designed by an ascian? I can't wait to see his reaction to that reveal.

Not yet, but he almost assuredly will.

Chillgamesh posted:

I can't see Gaius as anything but the main villain for 6.0. He'll probably rally a bunch of Garlean resistance to Zenos and contribute to us defeating him in 5.4 and .5 and then 6.0 will basically be Char's Counterattack.

e: I bet there will be a scene where the Duskwight dude heroically sacrifices himself to save Gaius in the middle of some epic battle or something just to twist the knife before it's revealed that he's still a fantasy nazi.

I highly doubt it. For one, we're talking about someone suffering the long humiliation of knowing that his entire life is in fact, a lie. And he has very little to Char's Counterattack about. The fear of Primal Summoning is far and away from the forefront of the minds of anyone. If anything, to further summent his suffering, The Garlean Empire is going to start summoning Primals, shattering what last remaining belief he had in his homeland, as they betray the last vestiges of what he stood for.

EDIT: To get supremely nerdy about things I barely understand. I think he's more likely to be Damar or Garak than Gul Dukat.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

You're forgetting that Thordan knows Ishgard started the war with dragonkind out of greed so the entire reason he has authority is a lie. Ishgard under his rule is nightmarish, where most live in crumbling ruins or on the frontlines of a pointless war and even the wealthy and sheltered nobles live in constant fear that the church may accuse them of heresy and strip them of all their status at a moment's notice. Given that, I don't think you can really say he has good intentions for his utopian society that he, personally, has total control over.

I mentioned in the main thing that the thing that struck me with Varis wasn't his facisim and "THE RACE WAR STARTS NOW!" but how ultimately when you break down his character, he's someone who discovered the truth of his nation, his people, his family line, and just completely collapsed until the fear of it all. He was confronted with his entire life being a lie, and all those deaths being for nothing, and rather than gritting his teeth and deciding to fight back against it, he bowed his head and started mumbling something about how if they give the Ascians what they want, then, eventually, when they're complete, they can get their revenge.

Thordan is very similar. Presumably, he started off with good enough intentions as he entered the church and politik'd his way up the ladder, then he got the big reveal, the damning one, "Hey everyone's died for a lie, your job now, as head lie-maker is to send people to die in a forever-war, because if you ever tell the truth, you'll utterly destroy this country." He was in the end, afraid of what would come from trying to take a stand and actually change things, afraid of poo poo going south and everyone dying because of him. So his solution to that was, as so many others do when faced with despair, INCLUDING THE AMAUROTIANS OH MY GOD THIS JUST HIT ME, WAS TO TRY TO SUMMON A GOD!

It just hit me that, literally to Shadowbringers, the end result of a people caught in a situation they cannot comprehend or challenge is to attempt to invoke the divine. And it is the people who have the strength like the Warrior of Light or Aymeric, who stand up and refuse. Or in cases like the Cid of the doomed timeline, how easy would it have been to go "Let's just summon Alexander!" But they didn't, they didn't turn to a Primal, they turned to their own ingenuity.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Life Persists, and Middy is there to help guide the next era.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Sound itself sounds a lot like the description of the Ancients in VII discussing Jenova. And really it was either going to be Jenova or Lavos.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Maybe she's not a threat in any way until Zodiark's gone, at which point she's the only one soaking up all the aether.

That's. Not. How. Hydaelyn. Works.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, I'm taking Fanny as some sort of unholy hybrid between Kefka and Kuja. Others have speculated that the towers are Lunar Transmitters, and his goal might be to drop the moon on the planet. It makes me wonder if they might have the sheer insanity to do a "World of Ruin" expansion. I realize that's kinda what ARR and Shadowbringers technically are but you know what I mean.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

So, what are we thinking about Ryne and Gaia? Entirrly out of the story now, or "probably gonna drop up later seeing as they're both technically part-immortal and Gaia all but said outright she could remember her Ascian world jaunting stuff?"

Depends, with the follow up with the Void Quests I'd count NO ONE out of showing up. Especially since they mention that time can desync, I can see the first doing a time skip to give us adult Ryne and Gaia, and the Bounty Hunters having finished their research into discovering how to fix the Thirteenth. Now that they have brought it up as a possibility, I can't see that NOT being an expac.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

multijoe posted:

This is kind of tiring having to respond to accusations I didn't make. I am not attacking the people of Japan, or claiming they produces no LGBT content. I am saying it sucks it has such a conservative corporate culture that limits what writers in major franchises like FF14 can do, like forcing them to Korra up the romance plot to get it past the censors. That is all.

No one has ever kissed in FFXIV. Even characters who've expressly been in love have not bothered to declare their love. This relationship has gotten nothing that no other relationship hasn't gotten. You're judging this differently because it is an LGBT relationship and people will deny it, which makes you more defensive. But nothing about this relationship is any different from any other relationship.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

Huh, really? I thought it was a possessed state, given she compares herself to an Ascian.

Given Ryne herself describing her red hair as a gift from Minfilia, and that she didn't have a name before Minfilia, it seems she was born as it. I was going to say something like "Min coulda possessed the fetus I guess?" But-

Well now I've put that out into the great internet mind.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Thinking on the "Will the restoration of the 13th become actual content" throughline, I think it might as a future Eureka/Bozja/Instance area like that. Somewhere that doesn't need to work as the main focus of an expansion, can still tell a story, while not invalidating a major lore function like "The 13th is the source of all voidsent" And it's one of those things where if someone hasn't cleared all the requirements, they aren't necessarily being locked out of MSQ plot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

While that would be super interesting, the prerequisites to unlock it would be a bit much

While you're not wrong, I would point out that if you wanted it to be substantial content beyond just "side quests" this'd probably be the best way to go about it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

The Empire having linkpearls and other communication tech doesn't mean that all information on them is trustworthy, freely shared, and freely available, even for regional governors. Does the Garlean Empire really strike you as the sort of place with permissive freedom of speech laws?

Doesn't the Ivalice quest answer that?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I figure the sound was either Jenova (That's what the Ancients describe hearing when Jenova landed) or Lavos (because... Lavos)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NachtSieger posted:

Give me the loving Kingdom Hearts raid, Square-Enix.

Unfortunately, any KH raid would involve getting Disney involved, and Disney is loving miserable to work with. And yes, they would have to be involved, all the KH OC's are owned by Disney and they are balls deep in taking control of basically anything involved with it. It would also have to be temporary content. That's how previous KH crossovers in other works have had to be.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Quintus was a fascist rear end in a top hat but they should give a medal to the guy who killed him.

My friend and I literally cheered as he did it

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Argas posted:

That's what I'm most curious about.

Really, the troublesome thing with writing fash in fiction is that our societies are still absolutely terrible about recognizing evil in part because capitalistic hellworld.

Underneath the main layer of anti-Garlean messages is something about the strength of diversity. Garlemald talks about uniting all people under one banner one big "imperialism sucks, just less for the people closer to the top" banner. The Ilsabard Contingent is incredibly diverse, playing up the strengths that each nation has and making up for one another's weaknesses. Friction is allowed and tolerated, but kept from becoming a problem. Obviously it's not without its own weaknesses and in the face of total societal collapse ala the Eighth Umbral Calamity, Eorzea falls as well.

We saw how Garleans in Ala Mhigo handled friction. Despite Fordola being from a family of collaborators, her mom and dad were fed to the mob. Sure, they weren't particularly important but it sure lets you know that you're standing on a glass floor even when you're pledged to Garlemald. I guess it does create pressure to advance now, and gives rise to those who respond well to these things but I sure as hell wouldn't want to live under Garlean occupation regardless of what side of that divide I live in.

As for Ultima Thule, Meteion says that her ultimate goal is to outright eliminate life altogether by preventing souls from returning to their local lifestream. She's also manifesting these shades to be a local source of despair. Between stopping her (and releasing the captive souls in the dead star) and your two past laifu waifus spontaneously cementing the existence of everything in Ultima Thule, something happened that stirred up the once dead civilizations. It's unclear how each would respond since the they each come from different situations but at minimum it means the lifestream of each planet is refilled (if it was ever completely empty) so at minimum they could give rise to life again. But beyond that, the background despair level goes down and this presumably gets some of them out of the funk. There's now dragons, ea, and omicrons (oh my) in this one region in space and it's unclear if they're stranded or not. At least the omicrons are advanced enough they could make a ship to leave in less than a lifetime. I'm also not sure just returning some aether to the Dragonstar would fix its problems since I thought it was the war that did that, rather than some aether-suppressing effect from Meteion and such. The Ea and Omicron are at least are no longer blanketed by background despair levels, and the stigma units can at least communicate across interstellar distances so they can reestablish contact and issue new orders, rather than the previous holding pattern.

Also, Stigma's post-dungeon event has the Omicron's starting a cafe in the Nekropolis and you can talk to the Lopporit there to be told the story of one of the races in the Stigma dungeon. I'd expect that to be updated, and for the Cafe to come more and more alive over patches, until this little hopodge community becomes a new vibrant place itself.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Countblanc posted:

it was weird reading that someone literally cheered when the garlean dude shot himself, when the game obviously wants you to think it's a somber and tragic moment that he couldn't be saved (in the moral sense)

Quintus lost my sympathy when he chose to send his people to attack the people here to help him. knowing they were wounded, starving, and in need of aid. His pride came before his people. My feelings can be summed up as thus.

You were probably a good leader, Quintus, but it's a shame you were such a poo poo man. I was happy he shot himself because at that moment I despised him for not caring about his own people and how they were suffering. He was a representation of an ideology that was dying, founded upon lies in its infancy, and purposefully designed to propagate violence for the sake of a shadow cabal of people with their own issues. If you want to refuse aid and die a dogs death on your own terms you go ahead and do that but don't you dare drag the people into your bullshit because of your ideals. It was a tragic conclusion to a tragic and depressing arc that stood out in stark constrast to the world we'd left in The First, when people had put aside their bullshit to come together in the face of the end.

That's all I could think to respond whenever we were asked "What do you get out of this?" Well, first and foremost, the world doesn't end, which is a pretty big upside for me. I'm quite a fan of this thing called 'living' and it's really rather difficult to continue that when the world ends.

Also it was likely hard to take his scene seriously because I'd installed a mod to change the max height of hyur midlanders, which is when I learned that cinematics tied items in hands to height. So uh... Quintus's gun was hovering below his hand. And when Fandaniel poured the wine in a later scene, he poured it on the table missing the glass... which actually felt totally in character with Fandaniel.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gnossiennes posted:

curious what kind of depravity this mod is for

I play a midlander, RL I'm 6''4, I am lacking self-confidence but don't want to play a Highlander.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

As miserable as morbols are to all of us I have no doubt that concept was actually legit confirmed and not an escapee. Those things have got to be a godsend for microorganic diversity - you could probably fill a whole glass with one's bacteria.

I like how you can tell someone about Morbols in Elpis and they go "Wow." Followed by "Why did we make that?"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CJ posted:

You can't pretend people weren't confused by it, because people actually were confused by it and there were a lot of posts about it.

Oh, there are people confused by it, by all means, no one is saying there isn't.

Those people are just very dumb.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I would like to talk about Lahabrea and how they've really worked hard to get his previous characterization to fit with his current one and what I see happening.

Lahabrea is assuredly Hephaestus, given his wife is Athena and his son is Eric. There's also his endless work on the Phoenix and the short story going over the Phoenix having them point out it has a SOUL and it's not meant to. Pretty obviously, Lahabrea is trying to bring Athena back from the dead. Given Eric's power over fire and ice, and Lahabrea's ability to Ascian Prime with Igeyorhm, it's possible that Igeyorhm is a revived Athena, or Eric's 'true' mother. Ascian Prime seems to be a 'lovers' thing, so that explains why Igeyorhm and Lahabrea can do that.

And knowing that Lahabrea is working like a demon to bring his wife back from the dead, yeah, no poo poo he went wild trying to finish the rejoining. We saw what he does on the scale of losing one person, what do you think he'd do if he lost, ya know, his son? If his wife was a fragmented soul? If he lost everyone around him? His characterization as being a driven work-a-holic completely fits the Lahabrea we know. I also think it represents the third 'motivation' that Elidibus and Emet missed.

Emet acted out of loneliness. His three friends were, in order. Apart of Zodiark, Abandoning the plan for their own Goals, and Hydaelyn. He's NOT friends with Lahabrea and he's not friends with Elidibus. He doesn't particularly care for the convocation. He's alone, trying to right things so that he can be with his friends once more.

Elidibus is clearly Alphinaud, up to and including it now being obvious he's Azem's little buddy. In fact with this knowledge, I now think the "I promised and we swore" thing from 5.3 is referring to Azem. Elidibus was... well Elidibus, Azem wasn't going to let the world be destroyed, they promised one another they'd stop it no matter what. Elidibus probably volunteered to be the Heart because of Azem. That's probably what he made his promise about.

But Lahabrea? It's family. Insert Fast and Furious jokes here, but it really is. He's the man who invented a bird that revives itself so he could bring his wife back, literally all anyone ever says about Lahabrea is that the man doesn't sleep and could probably do with a vacation because he just won't quit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Remember that Hydaelyn, by extension Venat, loves the world and life. She loves her people but not above all else the way say... Emet did. When the second sacrifice brought with it teeming new life (Roegadyn's, Miqo'te etc.) And the people of Amaurot would not be dissuaded from "Let's sacrifice that too." She was left with only one real option, to make it so that was never possible again. Importantly, she's actually genuinely too weak to stop Zodiark. She can sunder him, bind him, but she cannot overpower him unsundered. The sundering was simultaneously an action to not allow the Ancients to wallow in despair and treat Zodiark as their blood sacrifice wishing machine, and to give the life newborn a chance to live.

It's not one she wanted to take. Her actions had the Ancients agreed with her wasn't going to be "so we all have to divide ourselves and get weaker." It was simply that you can't undo the tragedy that occurred, you have to grow stronger and move on from it, walk forward. Rise above despair. The sundering was a desperate action against a people who had lost their way and become enthralled, if not literally then, metaphysically, by the power of Zodiark.

That doesn't mean "Don't make the world a better place." or "We can never be happy." but more "Sacrificing new life to bring back old life in a desperate attempt to literally reverse tragedy is weakness." And, in comparison, is the EXACT opposite stance the people of the 8th Umbral Calamity did. Cid didn't force anyone to take the actions to send the Crystal Tower back in time, they left it open as an option, but that option would be executed by people, it would cost no life beyond the idea that they may cease to be (Which they didn't and dawn broke on their new world too. Because hope is everlasting.)

And that is the key difference, the Ancients wanted a return "to the days of old, where the star was a font of love and we knew naught but bliss." They didn't want to have to suffer, or ever know suffering. You can also see a reflection in them in the Ea, the "You would be blissful in ignorance."

Lord_Magmar posted:

Supposedly he only adopted Livia when she was like, 15-16. Compared to the Au Ra who he actually did adopt as children.

At which point from her perspective it’s not a new father adopting her but a handsome older gentleman picking her to be part of his personal squadron etc.

Compare and contrast her sister’s experience with Aymeric.

Also, like Aymeric, Gaius is such a cut above the rest of the Garlean military it's like... I'd be surprised if he wasn't the crush of teenage girls and boys, he was probably quite the celebrity back in Garlemald. Like he wears the Darth Vader armor and is intimidating, powerful, then he takes it off and oh he's hot too. I'm just saying if there was a Legatus pin-up calender Gaius would probably be repeated multiple times.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

PoorWeather posted:

I guess I just can't agree with the idea that loss and difficulty are an essential part of growing emotionally and learning to accept life, which feels so fundamental to the themes and moral framework of the expansion beyond its general "life is worth living" message. If you read through it, I'm sure you saw that I spent a long time in this thread harping obnoxiously about what I feel were technical problems or dissonance with the writing, but I think it ultimately comes down to that.

I feel like my experiences have led me to develop a skepticism about common ideas of maturity in a way I've probably been projecting on to the story. I've lost a lot of people and things in my life, but I don't like it's made me stronger as a person, just more neurotic and closed off. And I wonder how much people's ability to handle grief is more a product of having the right support and fundamental character then building internal strength through experience, and that it's just become a cultural norm to convince ourselves it makes us richer or more durable as people because it gives some sense of justice to the world. So seeing that truism employed in such a judgemental way was offputting to me.

It's probably unnecessary, but I wanted to apologize for making GBS threads up the thread whenever this topic came up again. Even if some people were being unnecessarily mean, I definitely got way too worked up over the plot of an MMO expansion and said some ridiculous things.

As someone who needs anti-depressants to function, who's lost his father etc. lotta regrets, the themes of the story resonated hard for me. And while you're not wrong about the support and fundamental character-building strength... That's not what the game isn't saying. Radz-at-han is an entire SOCIETY based around neighbours coming together to work for a common goal, the Ilsabard Contingent, literally the 10+ minute cutscene where they go over every external thing you've done in the game from raids to loving Eureka, and showing how everyone comes together holy poo poo the Scions are founded on people, multiple times, coming together and bonding through shared trauma. Both Minfilia's Scions after the Circle of Knowing to Alphinaud after the Bloody Banquete.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Personally, the story has resonated with me in a lot of aspects I've been dealing with my mental health, and I think something people are missing is that what the game says is not "suffering is good actually", but... "overcoming suffering is good actually". It's about being able to move past it and finding enjoyment in life. It's as Venat says in that cutscene: finding the light amidst all the darkness. And obviously if you are still suffering then the message will probably not resonate with you.

Also there's a lot of people that harped about "the game says we shouldn't erradicate suffering!" and to that I give what my psycologist gave me... if you focus only on making sure you never suffer, you're not really living, you're just not dying. Because anything in the world can make you suffer. That's not to say we shouldn't try to erradicate illness and poverty, just that there's gonna be other things to replace them.

Exactly that. It's not that we should strive to suffer or do nothing if suffering or that we shouldn't strive to eradicate suffering. But life sucks, people die, people we care about. Injustices occur. But the only way to be someone who never suffers is to be someone who does not care. You become numb to peoples misery, you give no damns about yourself. Because otherwise the plight of others will cause you suffering, hardships will cause you suffering.

quote:

I’ve rattled around long enough to have learned one thing: the universe is cold, and cruel, and violent–but only if you choose to look at it that way. For every act of aggression there are a thousand acts of kindness. For every hateful word, a million declarations of love. The good always outweighs the bad

I think for me one of the best moments in the expansion was when the woman threw the rock at the Blasphemy. Because even though she died, even though she'd lost her husband, even though she was scared... you never go quiet. You rage against the dying of the light.

quote:

Even should you lose all that is dear to you. Even if it should cost you your life... You bear the burden and fight on, kicking and screaming until your last breath is spent!

Suffering is a part of life, but you can make drat sure it never wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Martman posted:

I think it's significant that Hydaelyn requires us to defeat her in order to progress. She's a figure who escorts the hero to victory and all, but also we literally have to fight her and destroy her in order to progress in the way we need to. Like, she is absolutely presented as admirable and heroic, but also it's fair to say she can't answer the final question herself right? By the end, the magical power of friendship carrying our party flies in the face of the "all must suffer" stuff by having the heroes completely win without any losses (except Zenos, which even he had a happy ending if you think about it)

I mean that's more the fact that Hydaelyn is dying and has been dying for a while now. All the Aether she could have been using to sustain herself, to recover was given to the Mothercrystal so that we would have a shot. She's dying whether or not we win, we're past the point where that's an option for her. But this way, she can ensure we have a shot at stopping Meteion, and if not, she can deny us that shot and force us to flee, which, in turn, gives us 'time' to stop her. That said I do question if the 'flee' plan even works. Let's assume we do run, what is protecting us from the Dynamis waves Meteion is singing? Would the Mothercrystal have been used in the 'Aether shroud' sense the way Zodiark was? Just a huge wall of Aether that's going to run out, thousands of years of energy to give the people of Etheirys time to get strong enough, to grow to the point they can answer the question?

The Martyr is an interesting title for Zodiark because both he and Hydaelyn are Martyrs, they sacrificed themselves, their beings, their existence, to save the people they loved. Neither would ever do anything to harm the people of Etheirys. I think that's the ultimate twist "Zodiark's the evil god, no Hydaelyn's the evil god!" Wrong, neither of them are the evil God, they both love the people of the world and want nothing more than to save them.