Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Variant dungeons would be a good thing to grind for *next* expansion's relic, keeps them relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

The second one-time grind is also bad but at least you only have to do it once.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I quite like it.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Also given that FF16 seems to use some version of the 14 engine somewhere under the hood, I gotta assume unifying the two approaches there was useful + necessary.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Porxies are specifically good at sucking up bad stuff too so I guess that helps.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Actually, Venat didn't want a time loop. The dialog with her before we get the big post-Elpis flashback makes it pretty clear that her angle is 'I'm gonna try to change this, but if I don't, it's on you to save it'.

Which makes sense; the events after that point went really bad for both herself and her world, it's only natural that she'd want to try to avert that if possible. Just because you know what future is coming, doesn't mean you can do anything to stop it.

"I pray you walk with me to the end" doesn't necessarily say that to me, but I think I understand your reasoning.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Hellioning posted:

>You may find your world to be very different. Or perhaps the erasure of our friends' memories has sown the seeds of a conjunction between us. We cannot know until the moment is at hand.

Sounds like 'I might have changed your future or might not have. We can't know.' to me.

Yeah, that's my reading - but I think in many ways she does appear to act *later* in order to ensure the conjunction (for instance, on the boat at the start).

lines
Aug 18, 2013

To me, I think the reason she was pleased there eventually was a conjunction is that it means that they only have to solve things once - she had to plan as if we wouldn't come along, she has to plan as if we might gently caress up, but once Endwalker begins that seems to confirm to her that we're in the endgame, which means we aren't dealing with infinite timelines where things might go differently, but a single loop that's locked in. Which, yes, does close off that in some other timeline she manages to save the ancient world, but also means that she no longer has to hold on to the reserve of her power in case it's needed for something else. Once you return from Elpis, of course, she's flying blind, but she's now ready for things. It's one of the things that really endeared her to me: she endures for *so long*, and ultimately she is not possessed of anything other than a mortal mind, whatever form she wears.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Ardbert's the only shard equivalent that's not a joke, even if we count Chai-Nuzz (which I do, even if that's not explicit it's clearly a line you're supposed to draw). It's just that sometimes it's not really a purely silly thing and more of a dark irony. Like, it's not a rimshot gag that the First equivalent of the traveling merchants from the ARR opening is harsh, unwelcoming and kind of insane while the Source equivalents were very friendly and welcoming, but you are meant to find the humor in that.

But yeah, the game just doesn't do shard equivalents in a Mirror Universe style, that's just not the story we're being told. And I wrote a Cohost thing recently that I think trying to draw those connections is a work thay devalues all the characters involved; I know the jesters don't exactly have much going on, but making them Yda and Lyse shards makes them even less than that, in return for... what, the assurance that only two blond white sisters can exist in this universe?

I had never even slightly picked up on this "line" between Chai-Nuzz and Cid. Never even heard of it before. I don't really get what it would be?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

And then the rest of the Ascians just didn't notice for thousands of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

110 clearly Wuk. 114 or 111 is Krile, and I'm guessing the other is Erenville?

lines fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 30, 2024