Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I didn't realize the DPS check in the Sapphire Weapon was a DPS check so I died but hey I got some screenshots.

That little solo quest rocked but I wonder if they're actually gonna do anything more with G-Warrior or if it was a one-off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Potato Jones posted:

Zenos is going to eat Fandaniel.

Fandaniel is literally doing to Garlemald exactly what Emet-Selch did to it, but he's measurably not as powerful and also he's working with a much less predictable puppet

Zenos is gonna go buck loving wild lmao

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm sorry, his name is Fan Daniel, lmao

Yeah they really should have put the emphasis on the last syllable of the name so that that it was pronounced like "von-don-E-el" or something like that, we'd all still laugh at him but at least it wouldn't be his actual name

But hey if he turns out to be a great character we're all gonna be Dan's Fans

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Also I don't know if this is true or not, but does Hildibrand actually show up as a summoned shade of light during the MSQ dungeon or is Reddit just getting my hopes up again?

I want to see best boy Hildy again before the next expansion drops. :smith:

I think you have to beat the last trash pack (the Paladin Giott Final Heavens) and then run back to the start for him to spawn in? A bunch of WoLs get ported in after you beat that pack, I was looking for him when I got the dungeon in EXDR and didn't see him but I also didn't run back to the start of the Lakeland session to check

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zenos yae Galvus is probably the the biggest misnomer in the game, because not once has anyone looked at Zenos and said "yay"

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

me getting ready to post about getting completely loving pulverized by basically every mechanic in the yorha raid because im bad at reading any nonstandard telegraph

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

You literally go to Tesleen's grave in the 5.3 ending

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm not going to lie, I was secretly hoping Heroes' Gauntlet was going to have a special queue to get summoned in as an enemy by Elidibus, Mirror Knight style

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is thancred just gonna go full magitek in 6.0

I mean if the Ironworks can make a Gundam they can probably make the Magitek equivalent of an ice machine

Could totally see Thancred losing a limb or being grievously wounded and becoming magitek robocop though.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They didn't make G-Warrior. It's a modified Allagan weapon.

They made the Tycoon, just not in our timeline - also that's kinda splitting hairs. They didn't make the chassis but they definitely put it in working order and even installed new features.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Dwarves kinda remind me of machine stubbies, come to think of it

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cythereal posted:

5.3: really good. Everything with the Azem reveal especially, and the big goodbye sequence.

That said, we're really still going with that useless twat Zenos as the next big villain? And it looks like he's found an even more boring friend. There is such a thing as being too over the top.

It's totally possible that Zenos and Fandaniel are just prologue villains leading up to whatever the meat of 6.0 is but I suspect that might only be the case for Fandaniel

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

FC Discord pointed this out to me, but look at the side of the Scion Traveler's Jacket

Tataru what do you know

It came to her in a dream

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I've already made peace that we're probably not going to get Iron Will/Hymir's Finger as a DRK weapon, but I'm gonna be real upset if tier 3 of the NieR raid doesn't have at least an Emil minion.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm beginning to wonder if Zenos isn't actually Shinryu at this point. Not like he's not Zenos any more, just kind of like how Sephiroth and Jenova are technically the same person during FF7. Could definitely see them leaning into him being a shard of Elidibus the way the WoL is probably a shard of Azem, too.

:eyepop:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Eopia posted:

He can't be a shard of Elidibus because there are no shards of Elidibus, he was one of three people who didn't get split apart by Hydaelyn.

oh, duh, right

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Varis was too and it didn't help him much.

Well you see, necrotransferrence skips a generation.

goddammit what if varis comes back wearing a dead guy's body now too

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I was looking at my Orchestrion and I noticed that you can buy Matoya's theme from a vendor at her place in the Hinterlands. I flew out there to buy it, and while I was there I talked to her. They updated her dialogue to reflect Y'shtola coming back from the first :aaaaa:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not to get too political in a random thread, but to follow up on the idea reflected in the thread title... gently caress, I can't stop thinking about this quote and reading it in Elidibus's voice

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1297570544867475458

"To me, warriors of Light!" -- Joe Biden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GET8ax8uWXk

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The first three or four quests of 5.3 are about children with the best of intentions dreaming of becoming Warriors of Light, and then you literally fight the idealized Warrior of Light and find out after beating him he's the same size as the Amaurotine children you see learning how to create stuff in the Amaurot side quests, and treated by the other Amaurotines in the exact same way as those children are

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cythereal posted:

So the Estinian solo fight against Arch Ultima makes a hell of a lot more sense now that we're deep into the Weapon storyline. There's a reason Arch Ultima is covered in several copies of the Heart of Sabik, what we know now are basically job stones, and why the Garleans talk about a synthetic auracite system. And why Arch Ultima uses first abilities from Junia in Castrum Meridianum, then from Inferno in Castrum Abania: it's the same thing the fully fledged Weapons do. And that poor bastard welded into the top of Arch Ultima must be how the Weapon pilots are fused into the Weapons.

Since there's so many Ivalice callbacks coming up with Bozjan Liberation, this makes me wonder if 6.0 won't also have heavy Ivalice influence too, even though Garlemald in general is obviously very heavily inspired by the Magitek Empire from FF6. Garlean Soul Crystals are thematically similar in form and function to Manufacted Nethicite, and Garlemald, like Archadia, wants to smash the Gods while also being the puppet of one.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The fact that hes explicitly a much smaller ancient in his true form is the game saying something.

Alphinaud and Alisaie are like 17 and they're still way smaller than the other elezen. Elidibus is probably supposed to be around that age - maybe not what essentially everyone calls a small child but definitely in the range where most people would feel comfortable saying they're a kid or at least immature. In addition, according to the FF fan wiki,

quote:

Alphinaud is a combination of "Alvin," which in old-English means "Elf Friend,"

lol

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I can't see Gaius as anything but the main villain for 6.0. He'll probably rally a bunch of Garlean resistance to Zenos and contribute to us defeating him in 5.4 and .5 and then 6.0 will basically be Char's Counterattack.

e: I bet there will be a scene where the Duskwight dude heroically sacrifices himself to save Gaius in the middle of some epic battle or something just to twist the knife before it's revealed that he's still a fantasy nazi.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 14, 2020

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Onmi posted:

I highly doubt it. For one, we're talking about someone suffering the long humiliation of knowing that his entire life is in fact, a lie. And he has very little to Char's Counterattack about. The fear of Primal Summoning is far and away from the forefront of the minds of anyone. If anything, to further summent his suffering, The Garlean Empire is going to start summoning Primals, shattering what last remaining belief he had in his homeland, as they betray the last vestiges of what he stood for.

I honestly don't think anything has happened to shake Gaius's foundational ideology that Garlemald is good and that the strong should rule. In my view, his mindset is that he is currently watching misguided people lead his perfect empire into the gutter, and suffering blow after punishing blow as he watches his countrymen kill each other and his children die in the service of people without vision or Ascians without Garlemald's best interests at heart. The main evidence I present to support this is the 5.0 ending scene where Zenos kills Varis: Gaius is absolutely shocked and horrified. He cries out in utter anguish for Varis. He still believes in the Emperor and in Garlean supremacy even after finding out about the Ascians and Black Rose. He wants someone to take the reins and put Garlemald back on track, not to put an end to their imperial dominance.

Vermain posted:

Gaius isn't going to turn, both due to the logistical issue of him being a primary character in the Weapon questline (and they've been doing their damndest to avoid another Estinien situation), and due to him having no real reason to. The whole point of the Weapons questline is him realizing that his unthinking pursuit of nationalistic and militaristic virtue - values that he instilled in his foster children - has led to the transfiguration of his sons and daughters into actual monsters. Him pounding his fists on the rocks of Terncliff is the inflection point where he realizes that all the things he thought were good and just in the world were damnably wrong.

.x Sidestories like raids and trial stories are explicitly and specifically happening between the expansions. You already have continuity errors with "How is Thancred on the first right now when I just saw him leave and there's no way to come back?" if you wait until finishing MSQ to start Eden.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

multijoe posted:

Yeah that would be my guess for the finale. Zenos makes himself the new heart of Zodiark (who is sealed in the Moon, obviously) and then loses his rationality entirely and becomes a creature of pure destruction - Zeromus

AND we get a Four Fiends trial set/raid out of it.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Open up the glamour cabinet to fill out a new plate, who's that in the reflection? It's Zenos with three extra katana golfbags and an ice bucket full of Vitality Infusions

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

In 6.0 the world boss achievement FATE in each zone will be a chain of FATEs where you fight Zenos, culminating in a FATE where you fight Zenos

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

You're forgetting that Thordan knows Ishgard started the war with dragonkind out of greed so the entire reason he has authority is a lie. Ishgard under his rule is nightmarish, where most live in crumbling ruins or on the frontlines of a pointless war and even the wealthy and sheltered nobles live in constant fear that the church may accuse them of heresy and strip them of all their status at a moment's notice. Given that, I don't think you can really say he has good intentions for his utopian society that he, personally, has total control over.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I can buy Thordan and Varis letting cowardice guide their actions to a certain extent, but it's awfully convenient for them that their inaction in the face of the truth leaves them both in seats of incredible power, which they use to commit atrocities in pursuit of twisted goals. e: Though, it feels like less of a motivator for Thordan in particular, since he doesn't have the literal Angel of Death hanging over his shoulder.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 15, 2020

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

HenryEx posted:

Turns out there's a reason for that :yokotaro: crossover.

The YoRHa raid's gonna be MSQ required by 7.0 :getin:

The white ring of death that the first boss in Puppet's Bunker casts is called Life's Last Song, and it's visually identical to the ring of music the last boss from ending E of Drakengard casts.

Prepare to regret your choices.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Counterpoint: Soken remix of J-E-N-O-V-A

Counter-counterpoint: Soken arrangement of CT/CC music

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It's not even a secretly evil thing. Without Zodiark for her to keep in check, and likewise keeping her in check, she'd run rampant by her very nature as a primal.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vermain posted:

The whole aether-swilling thing the "standard" Primals do is a consequence of them having no aether to keep them around aside from ambient aether. Ones created by the Ancients - including Hydaelyn and Zodiark - were powered by the incredible aether of the Ancients' souls and therefore don't require it to survive.

I just feel like the only difference between Hydaelyn and Zodiark is that Hydaelyn won and is protecting a living society, and that Zodiark was defeated and is trying to bring back a dead society. They both serve the same function; if the people of the Source were lost to a calamity like the ascians were, she'd go to any lengths to recover them, like Zodiark does for the ascians, because she'd be answering prayers for salvation like he did.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

It fits better with the JP voices. His JP voice could pass for a teenager's voice and has a generally "immature" sort of sound to it.

Also he's not really the Amaurotine who became Elidibus any more anyway - he's more like a living wish than a person when we meet him.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I just got mega blue balls that we finally get to see the legendary Queen of the Hrothgar in 5.35, and she's a loving roegadyn and not a female hrothgar

I'm so loving salt lmao

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I literally screencapped those exact two text bubbles because I was so excited by the murals and yet somehow failed to read them

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mar-A-Lago lifts into the skies above the Florida swamps as an even more grotesquely bloated Trump slowly floats away on tiny cherub wings, having devoured his aides, cabinet, and the contents of every McDonald's, KFC, Pizza Hut, and Wendy's in the Greater DC Area

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zomborgon posted:

To my knowledge, the game doesn't do anything to remove player presence at any time.

But yes, it's generally a better effect when the place is very empty.

Apparently inn rooms are all one box that everyone shares but players can only see themselves when using them

HellCopter posted:

Do they populate Amaurot with other players when you're there for the first time? I imagine the effect is lessened when there's a dozen hungry crafters fighting over cubuses

Farming them seems like a waste of time when you could just send your retainer out to grab cubus flesh while you're doing other poo poo

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zomborgon posted:

I do wonder if they're ever going to leverage the fact the Norvrandt is temporally desynced from the Source. Kinda hard to do with an MMO, granted, but it would be neat to see it go back into fast-forward and thus the aftereffects of everyone's efforts there.

Even just a few extra years of fast forward could be neat, suddenly those kids we inspired are young adults doing their own thing (and the other folks could still use the same models, anime time rules are in place).

They mention that around the time the Exarch finally grabs you, that the passage of time in the First and Source has synced back up, and that also none of the scions have aged prior to the sync because they're not actually there physically, only spiritually. I guess it could just fall out of sync again though

It might be cool if after 5.55 they literally just do a time skip though? Like for the overall setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zack Ater posted:

Elidibus was consumed in creating Zodiark and only is still around because Zodiark basically summoned him as a primal, if I understood correctly. No reason for Hydaelyn to have summoned Venat back.

Wouldn't the Hydaelyn equivalent of Elidibus be Minfilia? So our Venat descendant/heritor is Ryne