Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mortons stork posted:

I think the no-platform issue stems from the fact that the leading political parties in the protest have monstrously unpopular policy platforms, so not giving away the game as to what they want to do once batka is out is required to keep the protests going. These are popular protests, but there is no populist politics. In fact, the most populist guy is the one ordering omon to crack skulls and torture protesters.

Well the opposition is in a bit on a bind: as the protests slowly decline and winter comes so does most of their leverage. As this point it is mostly down to hope that Batka just falls on his sword.

I think the real question is he going to just finish out his term and give VVP what he wants.

(Also it shows that if a regime can at least get some people to show up in a counter-protest, it can probably stay in power.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's a general strike in Belarus because Lukashenko has refused to step down after the stolen election. The opposition leader is pushing for Western-aligned capitalism instead of Russia-aligned capitalism. I hope the people throw out this government, and one day they can get something better.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Chamale posted:

There's a general strike in Belarus because Lukashenko has refused to step down after the stolen election. The opposition leader is pushing for Western-aligned capitalism instead of Russia-aligned capitalism. I hope the people throw out this government, and one day they can get something better.

there is no general strike

its just a woman on the television insisting there is one

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Poland is a powerfully normal country where professional historians get sued for libel because their academic research explores how Poles collaborated with the Nazis to kill Jews during the Holocaust.

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Ardennes posted:

Ironically enough, the Ukrainian population itself has been growing becoming less and less enamored with successive post-Madian governments. The openly pro-Russian Opposition Bloc has been pushing upward in the polls and now is almost as large as Poroshenko and Tymoshenko's parties combined.

I think a lot of it just absolute fatigue with constant corruption, classism, and the war itself. In addition, much of central and eastern Ukraine was never onboard with revitalizing Bandera and wartime Ukrainian fascism. Euromadian succeeded in the first place because much of the public thought EU association would somehow be a turning point for the country, and besides Visa access, has in many ways put the Ukrainian economy in an even worse position since Ukrainian industry can't really compete with the EU.

Zelensky himself was elected because he seemed like a fresh face and also was generally softer on nationalism issue, his polls have since steadily dropped only to be largely picked up by the Opposition bloc.

Essentially, the Ukrainian people were conned and now they are stuck. I wouldn't expect the Opposition Bloc do be any less corruption than other Ukrainian parties, but it does seem to be that people want "the adventure" to end.
this is kind of a basic bitch question but how did a Jewish Ukrainian get elected president in a country with arguably the most hardcore and politically empowered fash movement in the world?

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.

Gaupo Guacho posted:

this is kind of a basic bitch question but how did a Jewish Ukrainian get elected president in a country with arguably the most hardcore and politically empowered fash movement in the world?

Both Ukraine and Russia have Jewish politicians that enthusiastically participate in nationalist politics.

Eastern Slav / Eurasian antisemitism is a very different thing from Western, Richard Spencer-style antisemitism. The locals don't believe in the Jewish conspiracy, secret structures of power, etc. Instead, for local chuds, “Jew” just means “enemy.” And a Jewish person who works for them is obviously not an enemy and there is no reason to discriminate against him or her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
russian nationalists are mostly pan slavs, putinists, ortho fascists and monarchist larpers or any other number of morons who stand for nothing at all

or they are nazbols, anti liberals (everyone hates liberals in Russia) anti western hegemonists

or they are LDRP who are actual nazis