Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

It looks like all the plausible outcomes for Belarus are lovely in one way or another. Lukashenko seems like definitely the most lovely, though. Oh well. Why did I ever think anything could turn out well in the short term?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Doctor Jeep posted:

how is lukasehnko the most lovely when the other side are neolibs who want to privatize everything and immiserate millions

I assumed that the protests spoke for the majority of Belarusians. Obviously I would rather Belarus not go through shock :airquote:therapy:airquote:. Although looking at the Jacobin interview posted above, it seems like Lukashenko has been pursuing some neoliberal policies as well:

quote:

Additionally, the government has been consistently dismantling the welfare state model and its social obligations to its citizens. This was apparent with the 2004 introduction of individual contracts with workers instead of collective agreements; the 2017 “tax on unemployment”; and the exclusion of military service, maternity leave, and university or college studies from the years that count toward your pension. The tight monetary policy of the past five years also led to a wage freeze, while prices continued to rise.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Doctor Jeep posted:

what if they do speak for the majority? i don't see what importance that has if we're talking about material consequences.
regarding lukashenko's neolib policies, yeah i can believe he did that, and?

you're probably right, my opinion earlier was coming from a place of ignorance