Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Numlock posted:

Some Dragonlance highlights I half remember from when I was 10 and read these garbage novels.

The island of sexy ogres that never have sex but are so smoking hot you’d like try to instantly rape one if you saw them.

A demon powered steamroller that wanted to turn every sentient creature into road kill.

A dude loving a Kinder because he was into kids and the kinder had a giant fetish I guess.

Edit: I think there is a novel were a dwarf fucks a dwarf with Down syndrome too.

Lot of loving.

I only read the two original trilogies, and reading this made me very glad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

Raistlin is the mascot of toxic nerdery and the wizard supremacy that has damaged so many editions of the game:
-totally self-serving
-physically weak, yet more powerful than everyone
-looks weird and a social outcast
-has dumb jock brother that he passively aggressively harasses and also secretly envies
-incel
-etc

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

I'm glad someone mentioned not remembering anything climactic really because even though it's been for freaking ever since I read these I still only remember them just journeying forever and none of the actual 'boss fights' in any of the stories. Like..any of them.

This too. I seem to recall a lot of “now that we’ve set this in motion the problem will sort itself out!”-type conclusions.

Also on Raistlin: smugly keeping silent and inscrutable instead of helping with the group project

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

Also: like many D&D campaigns, it’s largely cliche, but also there has to be the one rear end in a top hat who refuses to sign the social contract for the campaign’s feel and theme, and instead plays a goofy hobbit re-skinned as childlike, an incomplete moral compass, with kleptomania, a chaotic neutral alignment, and who rolls a d6 every time they encounter a new NPC and on 1-5 tries to steal from them.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

Bismuth posted:

Back then you could paint some wild bullshit with horrible anatomy and absolutely no concern for color, composition, or taste and as long as there were tits or a screaming wizard you were IN

Anyone got pictures of a wizard screaming at tits? It’s kinda my thing.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

cynic posted:

I don't know why this one causes issues, but it did. A long time ago.

I recognize the kender, but I can’t figure out who the other two are supposed to be. The barmaid turned fighter and the half-sister once she went full Darth Vader?

Bismuth posted:

I never actually read these books because as a kid I hated the dragon's big goofy horse lips. I know that was a dumb reason not to read a book but I dont regret it at all.

Jumping on this bandwagon. Nice to know several other had the same reaction.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

Two books that I didn’t get what all the fuss was about: The Black Company by Glen Cook and Night Watch by Lukyanenko. Both have really awesome concepts and do some interesting world building in the narrative. But almost all of the awesome action takes place off screen.

“Our factions are lead by once-human-almost-immortals with sweeping powers, and while they battle, I, the narrator, will go off to make a sandwich, and occasionally mention the flashes of fire and lightening I notice outside... Oh, and later it will come out that me making a sandwich was just the diversion our side needed to tip the scales.”

If I’m off base, someone please set me straight about why. Maybe I’m just deaf to the themes, tone, mood etc. I want to like these books, but found them more mundane than I expected.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Impossible to decipher what the gently caress was happening in that movie

Read the book. Most of the “fights” are just threatening posturing. Also, you find out after every hostile encounter or tense discussion that something more important was happening that the narrator was complete unaware of at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

firrup posted:

I could deal with the narrator being away from the fight.

The part that bugged me was the whole clairvoyance and predictions of the watch's bosses. This dude kept trying to find a way to make his own choice and it felt like it was always within someone's plan.

Like I enjoyed it but it pissed me off too.

Right! Like was the theme that even if you are a wizard in a modern fantasy setting with certain insights others don’t have, would you still just be a cog in the machinations of others and never really comprehend the full breadth of what’s happening?