Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Eberron is a much better setting. Someone asked "What if we took everything about the game and made it slightly different," and then gave it a magical industrial revolution flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

Lord Soth

The badass bad guy. He was a paladin, and now he is the biggest possible jerk: a death knight.

Oh dang, his fall was because he was boning someone who wasn't his wife. Eventually he became a skellington because of that. Well, poo poo. That's how it goes.

Please enjoy this picture of the most badass foe on Krynn:

Soth was the only villain to be paroled from Ravenloft because his evil came more from being sad about his life than actual true malevolence. Compare that with Vecna who was the only villain to escape from Ravenloft because he managed to ascend to demigod and was kicked out because it violated the place's rules.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

LOTR is way better but I think the first three Dragonlance books would have made better movies. LOTR is unfilmable without major compromises to the setting and story.

The first book actually did. Full length animated movie came out in 2008. It's every bit as mediocre as the OP complains the series is.

e:f,b

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 29, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

the earthsea adaptations are criminal

The Sci-Fi channel adaptation put me off the series. Still haven't read it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Do you think there's still a market for bad sci-fi/fantasy pulp? Not that I'd sell well because I prefer to keep my sex fantasies separate from my regular work.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

I think reimagining Lolth as a santa claus like deity has some merit.

She knows if you've been bad or good, so be bad for goodness sake.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bismuth posted:

I do think salvatore at least made it pretty clear that drow were not genetically evil but they were part of an evil death cult, and could be totally fine people if able to escape it, which I think is a lot better than "haha dark skin elf evil"

Its more like theyre mormon or something

They're BDSM feminist nazis.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

WotC have a book coming out for D&D that is going to switch racial attributes with cultural.

I like Pathfinder 2e’s ancestry rules. Be a half-angel kobold if you want, don’t see why not.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

One of the D&D lore explainers on youtube just did a video on Kender last week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qawkfFhap8c

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I love Tigtone. You've got to respect a show that intentionally tries to have dialogue as stilted as possible while still making sense.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

No ring

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I just remembered Legend Entertainment developed a few adventure games based on some of the terrible franchises in this thread. They were ok for the most part despite being made for fans.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Mortal Engines movie was a pile of poo poo and ended with a lovely knockoff of the battle of Yavin as the evil westerners tried to invade the enlightened Chinese territory.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Black August posted:

Wait. I'm sorry. You mean this-

Is not an edit? That's an edit joke title about something creepy in the story, right?

I picked up a Xanth book once and it was about a woman named Debra whose magic power was that her name made people want to remove her bra. Put it back down and walked away.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mods change my name to Tyler Do'Urden

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Five decent books out of seven puts Narnia way ahead of most of this thread.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the trouble is that shorn of 90% of the stuff that makes it cool and dividing it up into levels just makes the magic system seem like an ammo counter for wizards. in the d&d context, vancian magic is maybe the least magical and fun way to do magic. all the characters in the dying earth had poo poo they could do that wasn't casting spells, those stories are mostly about weirdo dickheads tricking each other and pulling scams, but a d&d wizard is just poo poo outta luck once he's out of spell slots. it also adapts horribly to stories about the d&d world, because it is so gamey.

Vancian casting is so bad that any minor change is an improvement. Pathfinder's first edition had the Magus, which had a bonus energy pool and one of its uses was to cast extra copies of any spell they'd prepared that day. The old system really needs to be cut from D&D and its clones entirely.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

there wolf posted:

How did none of you recommend Malazan? It's based on the author's dnd campaigns!

Because despite getting enough prequels the recommended read order map looks like schematics for a circuit board, it's still way too good for this thread.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 17, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Terry Goodkind is dead but the damage he's done is irreversible.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

it's anime, so it's 100% poo poo

and also not a book, so take it elsewhere

It's one of the few good anime.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Glad they're not making another terrible book but at the same time I also want them to win the lawsuit.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't think I've ever seen a pic of Terry Goodkind before but I instinctively hate his smug face and stupid ponytail.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DicktheCat posted:

Actually- there could be a market for an abridged WoT series that cuts the fat. It could be a pretty decent set.

Cutting the fat from WoT would leave you with the shortest book ever written.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

OzyMandrill posted:

The first one is such a blatantly transparent rip off of the lord of the rings, just utterly shameless.

Yes. I felt like my intelligence was insulted by how little it tried to hide it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

WoT Book 1: "gently caress, I'm running out of book and they're nowhere near the action. Better put in a warp zone."
Book 2: "Here's a completely different kind of warp zone to get to somewhere else."

Didn't read book 3, decided to cut my losses there.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

LitRPG. It's as soul-destroying as it sounds.

Yes but you get to pad your writing with walls of text like

code:
Background Wizard Character We'll Never See Again

69 HP

420 MP

Strength: Not much, he's a nerd

Intelligence: Knows a lot of spells

A magic wizard from the land of wizard town. He knows secrets and will unlock a quest if you beat him up.
And then the next few sentences are the main character fighting him. I'd have said "next paragraph", but it's broken up with the attacks each getting their own line. And then the hero gets a quest, which is basically just another wall of text explaining the plot for the next chapter.

I should probably cash in on this.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

I remember years ago on goon safari to the TVTropes forum we found someone who must've been close to Patient Zero for this trend. He was agonising in one of their writer advice threads about how he was having trouble with his character's first boss fight because he only had 3 healing potions and that wasn't enough and he had to win that fight because he got his girlfriend as a rare drop at the end of it and god how we mocked that. Had we but known...

This one always stuck out as being completely moronic. It's a story, write it so he had four healing potions. Either that or write it so he loses the fight and doesn't get the girl and has to live with his failure.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Second best fantasy series is Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

The switch to magic potions was a step down from the first book's method of indulging the bad behavior in a way that forces them to realize they were wrong. In a way it was very prescient of how society stopped raising kids and started feeding them ritalin.

Don't touch Dick

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I liked Elminster as a cameo in a crpg. I think he's in Baldurs Gate and IWD2?

Yeah, he doesn't get in the way when he shows up in D&D Online either.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ed Greenwood should stick to dungeon design.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Gandalf was sassy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Aslan tier: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Magician's Nephew
Good tier: Prince Caspian, Dawn Treader, Silver Chair
poo poo tier: Horse and His Boy, Last Battle