Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
They named the half-elf guy Tanis Half-Elven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Tika had some big ol’ human tiddies and they had trouble finding armor for her

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Tracy Hickman named Laurana after his wife, Elizabeth

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also, Tracy Hickman has at least once called his wife Laurana in bed

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Woden posted:

I'm guessing most of the issues ya'll have with Dragonlance are because Hickman and Weiss are bad writers. There are some cool ideas in there but their writing sucks poo poo.

Did anyone else read their Death Gate Cycle series of books? I never made it to the end, 7 loving books just riddled with bloat. Oh, and they sometimes released two in a year like an inverse GRM.

I remember liking the Death Gate Cycle but I was like 15 and had way more patience back then.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Salt Fish posted:

I read all 7 of them again like... 2 years ago and they held up.

There was another series they did that was in an Arabian desert type setting that I remember being ok, but again I was a teenager and I never revisited. I can’t think of the name of it right now.

E: I looked it up, the series is Rose of the Prophet

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 21, 2020

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lol, it’s GBS so I was making a bad joke. His wife’s name is Laura.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Empty Sandwich posted:

Flint Fireforge, Dwarf Stereotype

He can't swim. He's scared of horses, but won't admit it. (This is a major running trope.) He's a real rear end in a top hat to the kender. (That last one is fine.) He has an axe.

True, he comes from the era when all dwarves were grouchy Wilford Brimleys, rather than these more enlightened times when they're all Scottish Wilford Brimleys, but he's just kind of a nothingburger of a character, viz:

Or worse:

A dadbromance for the ages.

I hope he was below Bombur on that list.

Really what makes me crabby is his death, as I mentioned: he's battling alongside his friends. Gradually, he gets more and more fatigued and his is felled.

No, haha. That was just a dream that also happened in the story. He has a heart attack and sits down and dies.

I can't remember if this is part of the third-book cliffhanger or it happens in the middle of the story. Either way, not a good narrative choice.

He doesn’t really hate Tasslehoff though. He has a soft spot for him but he can’t show it because he’s a gruff dwarf you see. IIRC Tas is quite broken up about his death.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lol, I just remembered my freshman year in college my English prof made us read Dragons of Autumn Twilight

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

feedmegin posted:

As, like, a 'how not to write' thing? Right? :ohdear:

Lol no. As, like, “modern American literature”. He was a young first year professor and super nerdy.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Valko posted:

I hate kramering into threads like this but...

I noticed a lot of people are talking about gully dwarves. I think that was just the most obvious example of a lot of the problems with race depictions in DnD. I don't know much about Dragonlance simply because I never played a videogame based in that setting. I have played all the infinity engine games though so I am familiar with Forgotten Realms. The Drow always struck me as something problematic. They are a matriarchal society of EVIL spider worshippers and they all have black skin. Anyone else ever raise an eyebrow at that?

I suppose the lore does describe them as beautiful and highly intelligent. No wonder there are so many drow Mary Sues.

I tried reading up on some of the Dragonlance setting recently but my eyes just glaze over. It's just so generic. When i was in my teens I would have traded a testicle for a bioware game set in the Dark Sun setting.

I was too young when I was into the Drizzt books to really think about the race implications, but it bothered me that a race that lived almost entirely underground had dark skin rather than pale skin from lack of sun.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
To be fair, I LOVED Dragonlance as a kid and frequented Waldenbooks on the reg for my next fix. I wish I was as voracious a reader now.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
R.A. Salvatore (the writer of all the Drizzt books) and I used to frequent the same mall so I have a bunch of poo poo signed. One day he was doing a signing thing at Waldenbooks and he got into an argument with my friend because my friend told him he was wrong about when his own book was coming out.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Jesse Ventura posted:

“His manhood glistened wetly,” iirc.

This thread is a pretty incredible honeypot

I, a book reader, have dunked my glistening manhood into the honeypot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

CPA Hell posted:

I recognize the kender, but I can’t figure out who the other two are supposed to be. The barmaid turned fighter and the half-sister once she went full Darth Vader?

Left to right: Tasslehoff, Goldmoon, Kitiara