Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

All corporate fiction sucks. None of it is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

I only read punk fiction written on the bridge by local drug afficionadoes

Living the dream. I can only hope you are drunk/high when you are at it.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

When I first read the blurbs for wheel of time on the back of the books, I thought the series was about a bunch of continually reincarnated people and their stories across millennia. Something like "the years of rice and salt" ended up. That probably would have been way more interesting than the 15000 page slog it ended up as.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Did the allusions to the world of wot being a future/past earth ever go anywhere?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

Idk Warhammer always felt like basically Gor but for edgier grognards

At least gor and xanth have the guts to be sick filth. 40k and dragonlance are total garbage churned out for those who can't pull themselves away from corporate shared worlds.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

I wanna declare that reading bad fantasy novels while drunk is probably the saddest thing I've read itt

Even worse, you might read them sober.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

Isn't there a book about time traveling Hitler who moved to America and became a bad science fiction writer instead of y'know causing the holocaust

The Iron dream, but it has nothing to do with time travel.

Crushed like the skull of a mutant
vvvvv

Spazzle fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 9, 2020

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Cloacamazing! posted:

I mean, I would read that.

Legend of the overfiend is elsewhere.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i guess i never really thought about a lot of the stuff i read from that period as being young adult fiction, but it makes sense that it would be. i guess 'YA' was something i only really heard in relation to newer books that were coming out when i was a kid, like harry potter.

I'm pretty sure a lot of Heinlein's work was YA.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

The thing that bugged me about Dragonlance was how the DnD alignment and spell systems were part of the story in a way that drew the reader out of the stories. I didn't play DnD (unless you count some of the video games) but quickly realized they were describing game mechanics.

The mage needs to memorize spells and sleep in order to cast them. People are obsessed with good, evil, and neutrality like they are allegiances they declared. I don't remember them describing characters failing or succeeding at things in terms of dice rolls but wouldn't be surprised if it was in there and I assumed it was a metaphor.

A friend of mine wrote a pathfinder book. All actions taken by the characters had to be justfiable based on their character sheets and game rules. I can't imagine anything more stultifying.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Imagine having a fanbase so painfully nerdy that you need an editor to check literary adherence to a gaming ruleset.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

What's the name of that super poorly written fantasy story that the writer seems to think they can't use the same word twice? Lords of Argon or something?

Eye of Argon?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Something I really hate about modern fantasy/sci-fi is how nothing is a stand alone any more. Everything is writing for trilogy.

Book 7 of the Illuminating stones of the suns trilogy.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Miss posted:

Jack of Shadows is fantastic

"My Name Is Legion" is evergreen at this point

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Killingyouguy! posted:

I tried to read a Shannara book but I started with the third one and like one chapter in the main cast themselves started being like 'wow this is exactly the same as the first book!' so I stopped reading

All the Shannara books are the same story every time. This is not an exaggeration.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

When I first picked up the wheel of time books, like 25 years ago, the description on the back of the books led me to believe that the main characters were being born again and again in different ages in each book. A sort of epic battle across deep time. The books were certainly long enough each for that to make sense. That would probably have been much more interesting then the actual result.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

ChubbyChecker posted:

whats his kink

Powerful, clever men doing cool things.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Killingyouguy! posted:

Is zelazny the amber guy? I remember reading the first one of those and thinking all the women were exceptionally flat and lifeless but it was a long time ago

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Runcible Cat posted:

LitRPG. It's as soul-destroying as it sounds.

I know someone who wrote(writes?) this. She said she had to keep track of all the character stats and actions so the turbo nerd readers wouldn't be able to pour over the plot and point out that some character wouldn't actually have been able to do that today.