Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Prince Reggie K posted:

has there been a fantasy novel from the perspective of a party of murder hobos?

This is from pages ago but the TV series Tigtone has the main character (the titular Tigtone) as a murder hobo. All he cares about are completing quests and getting magic items.

Black August posted:

in retrospect the massive number of books involving alt-time Nazi places which get loving detail are just no-poo poo suspect in the extreme

There's also a lot of writers who think that if the Nazis won we would have Moon bases and crazy sci-fi technology in the 50s. Ignoring the real history where Nazi super weapons were invariably crap that didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Barudak posted:

Thats the book where she invents fire and deep dicking, and each subsequent sequel she invents something more outlandishly modern and fucks harder that I assume by the final book she roams the land in her 50 meter tall mobile gently caress palace

That reminds me of the terrible Ayn Rand book Anthem, which takes place in a commune so horrible that they've banned the use of the word "I" and people may only use "We" instead. The main character wants to be a scientist but the people in charge of assigning jobs make him a street sweeper instead. He starts hiding in a tunnel to do science stuff and completely independently reinvents electricity and the light bulb (which had been lost after the communists took over.) He tries to share his invention with the commune but they hate him for being so good at stuff so he runs away with a young woman who conveniently also believes in individuality. They then find a house in the woods that was built by someone before the evil communists took over and live there the rest of their days, not seeing the irony of being independent only through someone else's hard work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Galewolf posted:

When I finished the first book "Eye of the World" the ending put me off-balance because I assumed the it would happen like four or five books in and to think that there are over a dozen books now.

That being said, confession time, I once attended a Wheel of Time LARP :cripes:

Wheel of Time is weird because originally it was just supposed to be one book (which is why they actually get to the Eye of the World in the first novel) then it was supposed to be a trilogy (which is why Rand kills the main antagonist up to that point at the end of book 3) but after that is when it became just kind of open ended and meandering.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know I read a bunch of D&D novels when I was younger (Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Dark Sun and a couple of the Drz'zt ones) but I couldn't tell you anything about any of them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I assume there are probably books out there with a similar idea, but I always thought that magic as a replacement for infrastructure made sense. Like instead of the power company you paid the magic guild to keep your light spells going, keep the water flowing, and so on. Like a utility. This would also go a long way to explain why everyone and their uncle doesn't use magic - it's controlled and licensed and if you go against the guild they will gently caress you up either literally or legally, depending on how the society is structured.

That's kind of the backstory to the Pixar movie Onward. Their society used to have wizards running around making sure stuff was working right but then they invented science and people stopped using magic.

Although the movie does have a problem where they show magic doing a bunch of stuff that science can't replicate but you just have to kind of ignore that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing about Kingkiller Chronicles is that the first book came out right as it was becoming clear that GRRM was going to be taking a long time to finish his series so it was promoted as an already written and completed trilogy that just needed to be published.

The first book came out in 2007

The second in 2011

There is no third book

No Pants posted:

The Steel Remains and its sequels have some really weird gay alien sex going on, but it was overall pretty gross what with all the rape and sexual violence against women and children. That plus the author showing his rear end this year makes visiting Altered Carbon a hard sell for me.

Yeah for some reason despite the fact that he wrote a series about people being able to change bodies whenever they want to he's revealed himself to be a huge transphobe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The second book is definitely when it became clear that Rothfuss had no clue what he was doing. The first book was an okay fantasy novel but the second book is terrible with awful pacing and story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Terry Goodkind's Facebook page has announced he has passed away.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I kind of wonder if the Amber series would have been bigger if it actually got finished.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It has been a while since I've read them but doesn't the last Merlin book kind of leave things unresolved?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I really hate about modern fantasy/sci-fi is how nothing is a stand alone any more. Everything is writing for trilogy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

poisonpill posted:

Lmao I just looked these up online and the first hit was someone complaining that the release date for the fourth book has been pushed back for seven years (with none on the horizon) and the top comment on Reddit is someone who bought the three first editions signed from him and then he just stopped responding.

Modern fantasy writers are lazy ingrates

Ehhh, IIRC Scott Lynch has health issues that have caused the delays. He's not like GRRM and Rothfuss who are running around playing at being a respected author without actually writing anything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Drood was written post 9-11 and is pretty good up until the very end where everything just completely falls apart. The book is a fictionalized account of the last years of Charles Dickens' life told through the lens of fellow author Wilkie Collins. Dickens sees some weird stuff after a train he was riding derails which leads him (along with Collins) to start looking into the event. Eventually Dickens discovers a secret society and a bunch of other stuff happens. Then something like 20 pages from the end Dickens reveals to Collins that it was all made up and everything that happened was Dickens hiring actors and hypnotizing Collins. It is such a bizarre ending that makes no sense at all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MNIMWA posted:

Where is the best place to start? I've wanted to get in to them too and have heard "Guards, Guards" is a good first read?

Small Gods is probably the best since it was written later but is completely disconnected from any of the running storylines. The only thing you need to know is that there's a magical librarian who was turned into an orangutan (he shows up for one scene that is kind of confusing if are unaware of this.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

this is the book that I keep trying to make people read. I guess it's hit or miss with people but I loving loved it, I don't usually revisit things and I've read it 4 times. not too long and it's so, so cool. probably my favorite new thing I've read in like, 5 years. it's not like anything else.

A common complaint I've seen from people who don't like it is that they find the ex-military guy unrealistic. Which is weird because he's barely in the book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cloacamazing! posted:

I think that's the story with the rich guy who buys a fantasy land, right?

Yeah, it is a guy who is looking through a book of rich people crap and sees a listing for "Magic Kingdom for Sale" and discovers that it actually is a magical kingdom and he's now the king. It is very much not supposed to be super realistic. He ends up with the problem where he doesn't get any kind of instructions on how the magic pendant that makes him king actually works.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I personally do not give a poo poo about maps in books. Most of the time you see it before you have any context and I'm not going to flip back to the front of the book to look something up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really enjoyed seeing Kanga Rat Murder Society play live back in '15.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://boingboing.net/2020/10/19/margaret-weis-and-tracy-hickman-sue-wizards-of-the-coast-after-it-abandons-new-dragonlance-trilogy.html

Weis and Hickman are saying that Wizards of the Coast told them to write a new Dragonlance trilogy but canceled it in August. This thread? Started August 20th. Is it responsible? The world may never know.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Comstar posted:

Gor. The original Men are from Mars, Women are meant to be sex slaves fantasy novels. Got much worse and very very boring as it went on.

Those fantasy novel's with THAT art? That's them.

It also starts off as a completely shameless rip off of the Barsoom series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nigmaetcetera posted:

What are some hosed up fantasy* novels? I want to read some hosed up fantasy* novels.

*or science fiction

There's Glen Cook's The Black Company where the book follows a group of mercenaries who are working for the bad guy side in a fantasy story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mad Hamish posted:

Yoon Ha-Lee's Machinery of Empire trilogy is pretty weird and also really good.

Those are more sci fi but he does have a fantasy novel, Phoenix Extravagant, which is fantasy Korea after being conquered by fantasy Japan and involves a magic robot dragon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arven posted:

The fact pern continued as a series is bizarre as hell considering there was a book that was clearly meant to be the series finale where they destroy the source of the main threat forever and have all the mysteries of the past revealed to them.

I got sucked into those books as a teenager, and I gotta say I'm surprised more authors don't do YA tie-in novels to attract more readers like McCaffrey did.

Reminds me of the original Oz books where Baum made a pretty explicit end to the series with the sixth book which has all the bad guys currently in Oz defeated and a magic charm placed on the country that makes it invisible to outsiders and impossible to enter. Of course the real world doesn't care for such things and when Baum found himself in financial need all of a sudden there were more Oz books.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

I bet his stuff is garbage but it's still impressive he can write a book in a single plane trip. I couldn't do that even if I shat out some turd on the page.

He's not a terrible writer. He's good at plotting stories and creating interesting worlds but he is generally weak on character stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm more into The Worm Ouroboros Ouroboroses.

I read that once but don't remember much about it other than it being weird.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Dick's epitaph at the end of A Scanner Darkly is beautiful

The part near the end of Valis where he starts talking about him and Horselover Fat being two separate people again made me legit sad when reading it for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

rotinaj posted:

Did anyone else read the iron tower by Dennis mckiernan

It was a book where a group of small people good at thieving went to try to destroy the last remnant of an evil sorcerer’s power before being accompanied by a stout axe-wielding fellow, a graceful archer man and a gruff swordsman

I think he had actually written it to literally be lord of the rings fan fiction or some poo poo but couldn’t get the rights and so settled for this

It was published as far as I can tell in the early 80s, flopped, then was republished in 2000 when tolkien fever really got going

Yeah I remember reading it back in the late 80s/early 90s. IIRC its version of the Shire had a big hedge around it or something like that.