Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Kinda off topic for being a visual novel but I played through this game two or three times “failing” at the relationships. When I basically game-over’d I never played again. Then again the protag being a high schooler put me off to begin with.

I swear I posted about this in the past but somehow I managed to avoid the vast majority of bad fantasy of my time. “The Color of her Panties” felt wrong. I remember being around 13 and a classmate telling me in hushed tones there was a gay couple in a Pern book but I was too closeted then to pick it up. I tended toward sci-fi anyway (ie the 2001 series, a book of short stories that included giant birds hatching from planets and earth was next).

When I was an edgy older teen I started Anthony’s Incarnation series but I have no memory of the second book and third I stopped a chapter or two in, I couldn’t take it anymore although I don’t remember why. However, I have exactly one memory from Pale Horse: the way the protag’s love interest was tortured near the end of the book, and how he was convinced it wasn’t really happening and was the bad guy’s tricking him into giving up. It disturbed me then, it disgusts me now, and I’m thankful I stopped reading the series. If anything it put me off fantasy almost altogether and to this day I won’t go into a book/series without researching for content warnings and/or checking if the author has done anything egregious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

ScienceSeagull posted:

That sounds cool, do you remember the book/story title?

I wish I did! Only that it was a dark blue cover with a cool space eagle on it, and there was another story that had huge metal ants that didn’t seem to be entirely biological or robotic.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I loved “Horse and his Boy” as a kid because talking horses, and I liked the idea of a young woman running away to avoid being forced into political marriage and in her father’s armor to boot. I was completely ignorant of the racism, as I was to the Jesus allegories of the whole series. I do agree “Magician’s Nephew” was the best though, I still remember the descriptions of Polly walking over the roof slats to her “pirate’s cave” where she read books and drink ginger beer, and just the whole idea of there being previous events to the main Narnia stories. This was back when those were considered books 5 and 6 in the reading order, it got shuffled for some reason years ago.