Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Finally made it past the Ichthyosaurus with the help of the +2 extra lives scroll (god drat that one is good). How the gently caress do I avoid that loving laser beam though? I tried dash-timing through it and always got hit and tried to side to the side as it's coming towards me and also got hit. The rest of his moveset wasn't too bad to avoid though.

Nearly made it to Lvl30, probably another couple of runs. I actually had Gemini matchup with a +5 Sticky Launcher with Spore combined with a +5 Acid Spin-up Flaky-Minigun thing with Spore and that was pretty great, too bad I ended up getting wiped stupidly almost towards the end of Level 3. Sometimes feedback for getting shot at sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SaffronKit posted:

I mentioned it earlier, but for dealing with the laser you basically always want to standing to the left or right of Icky's head so when he does his laser breath wind up you have time to dash away if he starts turning toward you with it. If he doesn't turn toward you, you can safely strafe while shooting him in the mouth for all that juicy crit damage.

Final area is both fun and def the most dangerous for specific reasons (Sharks! Lanterns! :argh: )
Hmm ok I found I couldn't strafe out of it. Infact I straight up just had a time where the round started and he immediately swept me with his beam and pretty much 1-shot me almost instantly. I found I couldn't put enough distance to the left or right where he couldn't still sweep me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

tildes posted:

You probably aren’t close enough to him yet - run straight towards him ASAP. The first several times we got to this boss we were confused why a boss which just insta kills you was in the game, but once you get used to getting close it gets way easier.

Got it, that's good to know I didn't try that. I had tried dashing into the beam, tried running to the left and right, neither of those worked but yeah that makes sense. I've only just started playing and got to him twice getting wiped by his beam almost instantly without being able tot touch him, the third time I did beat him by brute force with the +2 extra lives Scroll after I had got past the phase where he was trying to beam me and from there on it was pretty easy to avoid the shockwaves and his swim-jump over and over.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Man I had a loving bomb rear end run with great relics and a really loving great Cavalry double inscribed weapon and I just got wiped to Elite Yakasha miniboss instantly. gently caress

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Finally got my first win.. as the dog. Man the Dog just feels so much more powerful than the cat that I breeze through it a lot easier getting to the end. Or at least at least The Dog has hell of a lot more damage potential when you get +125% damage, life steal + extra hp, Lucky Chance, avoid-death-while-in-dual wield, reload speed, and all those other ones, and especially if you get the scroll that makes Ammo always convert to your current weapon so you can dual wield the same weapon/ammo-type and never run out of ammo. Shame the grenades are such trash and I wish I could not pick them up so I could utilize +50% Damage when Secondary is 0 more. Smoke Grenades on cat kinda feel bad but at least proccing decay and the damage taken/damage dealt ascension/shield regen are nice whereas Explosive Grenades just seem useless almost entirely.

Am I missing something with building The Cat or is Dog really just that much more powerful? Whats the trick to making Cat work well? Feels bad when I just get nothing but smoke options but not the good smoke option (-damage dealt/+damage received)

I have to say I'm not really a fan of slappy, or maybe I just haven't got really good rolls on one yet but it feels really anemic and I don't really need aoe damage all that often and a little too short-range. Also not a fan of Bone Dragon/Shrieker/Bouncing Grenade/Star Destroyer/Revolver/Line gun/Angelic Aura much. Shotguns have been very disappointing although I like the Illusion a lot. I did have a really good Wild Hunt that did extra damage to close-up enemies + extra damage to effected enemies + extra damage to elite/bosses but getting that close feels pretty dangerous by the time you get to the forest. Standouts really depend on legendary inscription rolls but I've found I can do little wrong with Crimson Firescale, Cavalry, Glimmering, Woodpecker, and Laser Gloves. Tiger Cannon/Scorching Rounds/Aura of Venom can be good from what I've found but heavily roll/scroll-dependent to be good.

Talisman seems cool but I hosed up picking it up as Dog and then not being able to Dual Wield for a level. It feels more like a Cat weapon. Need to play with Scalpel more

Had a loving great Laser Glove that also shot missiles and just annihilated everything but I hosed up that Elite run :smith:

I haven't unlocked the birb yet but soon

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 3, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I just unlocked birb last night and won with it on Elite right away. I had mostly shyed away from picking Cleave stuff and went for more guns/leap build but I really didnt have much good synergy but it was still powerful, although really most of my power came from Advanced Depot,a bunch of legendary -damage taken/cooldown reduction on hit/3 ghost shield/regen armor on primary skill use/etc and Crimson Shooter gun, which I think completely nullified my +damage/+lucky chance after reload ascension and first shot in clip does +50% damage but oh well. I still dove into their face and shot things. I had a really good Bone Dragon but man it really poo poo the bed hard by the time I got to the swamp level so I swapped it out for an Illusion which was nice with never having to reload but at the end of the day, it was really my Crimson gun with no reloading and leaping into faces that carried me to an easy victory there

Next time I'm gunna try going all in on Cleave. I think I'm at the point I can pretty reliably get to the last boss and usually beat it on Elite. Is Nightmare worth playing now?

Also drat all the bows feel kinda bad. Ive just been unlocking like 3 new ones in a row and they did not feel good at all, like shooting spaghetti but having to charge to shoot a noodle.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
you can't dual-wield talismans, he has 4 legs god damnit, smdh dog bad now

after a solid half-dozen wins on normal+elite im gunna shelf the game for now and let it stew. it's really good and i think weapon/scroll variety is solid enough but they really need more minibosses, bosses, enemy variety, alternate levels/biomes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

WarpedLichen posted:

That's my request.

Tiger seems real bad after they nerfed most of his good ascensions last patch? No idea what you do on him now.

Tiger puts out disgusting amounts of damage with a good sniper, like some exclusive inscribed double calibres, along with talent that makes you do extra damage if theres no enemies in 12m, stacking sniper damage on same enemy, trigger lightning on crit, do extra crit damage if >4x, geminis sharing critx, etc. Tiger shines better in co-op with someone else to distract though but he's basically sniper god putting out million damage a shot. Most of the Fatal Current/Chain Lightning stuff is fairly bad though so you are somewhat reliant on getting some of those sniper talents and a good sniper but he's extremely strong, but moreso in co-op especially if you can share off your close-range/useless scrolls and get those longer range scrolls like Long Shot and Hawkeye Sight etc

I don't really like what they did to Golden Bow or Woodpecker though.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Cicero posted:

Would this game be kid friendly for kids around 10 years old? I don't really mean 'mature' content, I just mean difficulty/design/playstyle. Roguelites can be very challenging, and especially with my son, we sometimes have a problem in coop games where he immediately rushes around and dies, and then just has to watch me for a long time before he can respawn.

Theoretically you should be able to carry him through Normal and Reviving is generally forgiving (assuming you do it quick enough). normal isn't that hard and the game has incremental upgrades even if you lose that makes your runs go easier and after enough it should be a cake. but ngl, unless they have ~fps skills~, and for some the motor function of being able to WASD + aim a mouse and click at the same time just isn't in the brain-development cards at that age (or hell, any age), it might not be something they can do. Maybe they can, I think i was playing 90s FPS games at that age but didn't get into them until i was more like 13 or so.

i would probably see how they can handle themselves at something simple like modded Minecraft. i dont play it but im sure there's mods that turn it into a lite-FPS game and should be a quick check for a basics of fps gaming (always be dashing, always be strafing, click monsters, spin around and click more monsters)

I would recommend Deep Rock Galactic instead in this case because it has basically a range of modes from kid-glove mode (Haz 1/2) scaling up to tryhard-but-doable mode (Haz 5); and isn't that challenging mechanically or anything with not really any time constraints or anything. plus its fun to drill. and also tehres no penalty for dying and you can be revived at any time. DRG is probably the platonic ideal of a co-op game to play with anyone of any age

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 30, 2021