Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
What is stability? Does it affect accuracy or critical chance?

While I'm here, a few times I've been playing Thunder Cat and have noticed that sometimes scopes will outline enemies in red through cover after waiting a second or two. I haven't seen an inscription that explicitly grants it, though I think I've seen it most often (but not always) with "additional crit damage after waiting in scope for two seconds". Is it a hidden bonus or am I just missing it?

Also, I'm doing Nightmare solo as well after just squeaking through Epic. The jump in difficulty is... something. I lose like a third of my runs due to being inattentive around traps. Epic is doable, though I lose a lot of runs suddenly and stupidly. On Nightmare, I'm lucky to clear the Temple. I feel like I don't have enough time to get a build going unless I'm very lucky with ascensions. I really want to see Reincarnation, but I think I'm going to run out of steam before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Arzaac posted:

IIRC stability is Gun Recoil. It's a stat I only tend to care about if the gun already has some recoil problems to start with.

Turin Turambar posted:

From the wiki
Accuracy: Hidden value, determines how much projectiles will spread, making it difficult to hit distant targets. Higher accuracy decreases spread.
Stability: Hidden value, determines how much the weapon's aim moves when fired. Higher stability decreases recoil.

Cool cool, thanks. So it's indirectly related to accuracy, mediated by the player's ability to compensate for it.

Evil Kit posted:

There's a couple of inscriptions on sniper weapons that provide the highlight sight without explicitly stating they do. It isn't on many and sometimes all it does is indicate the bonus related to the inscription has activated.

As for the struggles on Nightmare, I feel you. It's by far the hardest difficulty alongside R7 and R8. How much of the talent tree have you unlocked? How many runs did it take you to beat Elite? If you really only barely squeaked by in Elite and don't have much or only half-ish of the talent tree filled, def go back and get more comfortable in Elite while you get some essence as there are a number of talents that are really, really helpful for getting ahead of the curve. Nightmare really tests both your gameplay as well as your game knowledge while still requiring a healthy dose of luck if you're playing solo.

Oh, I've had the tree filled out for some time. I've got like 3 or 4k essence banked, just waiting to spend in R1. I've gone back to Epic and tried to clear it with other characters, but so far only the one full run, and that ended with the first "final" boss. I can get to that point fairly consistently (though not as much as I would like) but keep ending up with the Serpent fight instead of the ship. I get the idea of the Serpent fight and have beaten it plenty on lower difficulties, but when the "sliding" attacks start coming in quick succession, I can't always see the red outline on the ground and get out of the way in time. It hurts on normal but is fatal on higher difficulties.

I'm going to keep at it for a bit, trying new builds for the characters I already know. At least short runs are embarrassing instead of frustrating when close range explosive enemies get by you.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

Since that pattern always works the same, you can dodge it consistently without actually seeing the markers of the second set of attacks.
Basically, once the first set of lunges has gone off, move into the space they took up. That's where the second set won't be hitting.

That said, if you're not getting hit before then, you can take 1 or two hits from it without dying due to the talents for "take reduced overflow damage to HP" and "endure at 1 HP when hit at high HP"

Yup, that helped a lot, thanks. Cleared the final final boss with Poison Cat and Sword Bunny on Epic. Their debuffs help a lot. Time to take another crack at Nightmare.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Finally made it past nightmare then hit R2 in a couple runs. Everyone who said that Reincarnation is easier/better than Nightmare was right. Nightmare is almost like a gate to the "real" game with the blessings and enhanced weapons.

I blew through R1 with Dog and the mortar I picked up out of the first crate. Does the combination of Flesh and Bones and Airbag make you invincible? I took a few hits from the last boss and my health didn't drop at all. I had the scroll that absorbs five hits at full charge, but I'm pretty sure I exceeded that between the leap attack and the bullet hell orbs since I didn't have many mobility buffs and Dog with a mortar is really slow.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Is it possible to make a Prince build focused on Energy Orb? I like the character but the Primary skill seems so weak. It's a moderate amount of damage, a few seconds of freeze, and possibly infliction of elemental damage. Even with the spiritual blessing that triples the amount of projectiles, it's underwhelming. Granted, I don't know what to build toward when picking its ascensions, but what is its purpose as a primary skill?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Make more animals with boobs, you cowards.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I don't understand the card-based character at all. Even the ascensions hurt my brain. I do know that the secondary skill is like the talisman's alternate attack except it does decent damage instead of elemental effects. It may be because I was using the flying spikes, which also involve pointing at enemies until they die, but I think a skill-only run might be viable. And I don't even know what's going on with the primary skill.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

I don't entirely disagree that it gets weird how many weapons drop over the course of a run yet only maybe 10% are worth even thinking about, but if you find killer affixes it can absolutely be worth accepting the level downgrade. Pretty sure weapon levels tend to be a very linear increase in power whereas most inscriptions will add multiplicative power. Granted, it's been a while and I don't remember things usually dropping with that severe of a level gap in the first place.

As for Arc Light, I don't know what you were doing wrong but IME it is actually pretty drat good. Your examples are strange because UFOs are usually pretty tanky unless your build has really kicked off and without a proper build backing it up I would never expect it to singlehandedly murder Pole Monarch either. Between a 3x crit multiplier letting it pop things on headshots and the secondary skill doing silly things it's a fantastic room clear weapon first and foremost. Of the three kunai weapons it's the one least in need of a buff.

Arc Light is really good with the affix that creates a lightning ball on crit. Otherwise, I use it with the cat when I'm doing a non-sniper run because the crit stat is high enough to reliably trigger Lightning From Void and it's thematically appropriate.

Re: weapon levels, I think they become more important on the higher difficulty levels. I definitely wouldn't want to be rocking a level 4-8ish weapon in the desert, which is what drops. While you probably don't need to get everything to level 25 by the time you hit the last boss, you are definitely constrained by the power curve and the Craftsman's upgrade limit. By the time you start reliably seeing exclusive inscriptions, the only things you're interested in are the special ones (forget what they're called) that synergize with your unequipped weapon.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Seems like I was bang on the mark, because they just started doing seasonal content. (Seasonal content with no specific plan of what they're going to do with the retired content afterwards, classy.) It's all in-game, free-to-earn stuff, no paid money nonsense, but that poo poo is absolutely a sign they want this to be some weird goddamn forever game.

FTP?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Proven posted:

I don’t want Roboquest in Gunfire or vice versa. I just wish there was a game that melded the two. Not sure where the balance would be, but sometimes Gunfire is a little too slow and too scroll dependent, and Roboquest is too fast and too gun dependent.

So... grenade-focused combat?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Has anyone tried this stupidly-named entry into the rogue-lite FPS genre:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1421290/Battle_Shapers/

Mega Man + Doom sounds good. 70-84% positive is kind of meh, but I can't really find consistent complaints in the reviews other than the price (which is why I'm asking about it and not just buying it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Balance didn't even really come into it, so much as Owl is a baffling character design and they clearly struggled to translate the tooltips for his overdesigned kit. That and the other character having a bunch of ascensions that weren't clearly labeled and led to a lot of trap picks, mainly due to the melee/ranged split on the mech.

The translation thing was the most annoying to me and they've had enough time to fix the ascension descriptions. I don't think I've ever attempted more than one or two runs with Owl.

The other character is unfun because the Mecha can do all the work for you pretty much from the start. It's like having an over-levelled co-op partner.