Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Im_Special posted:

About Deep Rock Galactic, I could never get into this, I picked up 3 copies for me, my bother and cousin so we all could play something together because COVID has literally killed all family gatherings, but due to random scheduling, I've yet to be able to get us all in the same game together, and my brother doesn't play games much anyway, so I've been mostly playing it solo, and to me it's soooo tedious in many areas, I personally don't like any of the mining/digging, so that's like 50% of the game right there, and the progression is hella grindy for a non-Korean MMO, it's really dumb to lock gameplay stuff like guns and overclocks that change the way you play behind such a slow grind. But I can still acknowledge DRG is a good game as a L4D alternative to zombies, and no doubt is made 10x better by playing it in a CHAD group of 4 friends all laughing and joking around vs. my VIRGIN solo playing, so yeah, random pubs just don't do it for me, and as a solo game it kinda just sucks. 90 bucks down the drain on that one!

Whether DRG is fun is very binary on whether you have 3+ people or not. Haven't tried solo so I don't know how useful BOSCO is (I'm imagining 'not very'), but:
3 players gives you enough tools to quickly handle everything the level generator throws at you. Not always efficiently, sometimes in stupid risky ways that you don't have to deal with if you have all four classes. If you have two players your ability to handle the level generation is narrow enough that if there's something you can't handle efficiently you have to tediously transform it in to a situation you can handle. Unless BOSCO is a miracle worker that's probably like 75% of each level if you're solo.

Also most of the game is hooting and hollering in voice chat and mashing the button that makes your dwarf yell happily while your friends drill/grapple/zipline in to an early grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Goddamn the new boy is frail. I guess that's the price you pay for just having like 4 different stackable ways you can make your E in to an effortless room clear with goblets though.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Fulminous Zap III + Thunder Nemesis III is the funniest poo poo in this game, funnier even than +6m bone dragon on Ao Bai
Just aiming my bow at people and watching a random lightning strike kill them before the arrow reaches their head, 30 times a battle.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Deflection Shield is great in multiplayer since you can just get revived the 1 or 2 times you die to like a rogue villain shotgunning your head off or getting hooked by a shark. A bit risky on Nightmare mode since you need to be able to clear the rooms fast.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Every time I play with somebody new I try to show them how to open vaults and then go "Huh." when them shooting it doesn't actually do anything.

poo poo that should absolutely not be talents IMO:
Vaults
Anything to do with reviving people
Lucky Shot and Crit Damage (this is kinda balanced out by Elite/Nightmare seemingly being balanced around having them)
Like 3/4ths of the character talents

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Pasha posted:

I am around level 60 or so but I have only made it to the third world twice (and in both cases got one shot by something - I don't really know what enemy it was, though).

Kappas sniping you or swordsmen sneaking up on you. Once you figure out the audio tell for kappas charging their death orbs they're extremely easy to deal with though, they're glass cannons that float above the other enemies and need to do a long charge up you can hear from any distance. The octopus and king shark are the most dangerous enemies in world 3 but you also have plenty of time to realize what's happening if they're killing you.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Pasha posted:

Are "grenades" for the new character (lightning tiger?) equally as bad? They seem to be pretty decent in World 1 at least.

Grenades are only bad on the dog. On the dog they're only useful in the first zone before you have a good weapon, and you can throw them during long reload animations for free damage.
On the lightning wizard leopard: You deal a ton of AOE damage with chain lightning, especially since your Q gives you a damage bonus to them. The goblets for chain lighting are also decent but not as good as most of his lightning bolt based goblets.
Crown prince: Grenades are good for their slow without any goblets. They can clear out groups of weaker enemies if you buff their damage, but Hex Smoke is probably the prince's second best goblet behind Energy Blade -- Crown Prince is also the only character I'd say has 'best' goblets regardless of build.
Bird: Can become ridiculously powerful if you get the damage bonus on kill goblet early. Otherwise it's extremely useful for the great utility goblets it gets (e.g. gain armor on hit with slash)

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Good, she looked like poo poo before :v:
Does anybody actually recycle things? I've only used it like once and it was to get the last 10 coins I needed to reroll a gemini mod again.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Yeah everybody but the Prince can grind bosses to dust given very specific circumstances. The bunny is probably the most consistent anti-boss character because a Porcupine can activate her Q up to 8.75 times a second with no goblets, scrolls, or weapon mods factored in. Fish Or Bear Paw on its own doubles that.

If you wanna do a Q-focused build on the bunny btw the best weapons for it are:
Porcupine: 8.75 procs a second -- realistically it's more like 5 between some of the primary fire projectiles going the wrong way and having to click for each shot instead of being full-auto.
Illusion: 3.75 procs a second
Thunderclap Glove: 1.33 procs a second, AOE.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Harminoff posted:

I've been doing tiger with bow, but some scrolls are like +50% on last shot. Bow only does one shot per load, so are all shots then +50?

Yes. IIRC bows and kunais always count as full ammo but are unaffected by reload speed bonuses.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Evil Kit posted:

I'm pretty interested in some of those new blessings and enhanced scrolls, and also amused that Tao gets three whole blessings to herself.

She had zero before so I'm guessing every character has 3 now.

wtf tho, those are some insane spiritual blessings. Blossom Enthusiast is probably the most overpowered thing in the game.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 3, 2021

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Fishstick posted:

While I'm asking stupid questions: are there tricks to doing the boulder parkours stuff in the desert? I can manage the tomb ones fine but the desert ones always result in me getting myself crushed unless I have triple dash or dash cooldown reduction. The ones with triple boulders and multiple patterns especially really get me.

The trick is to hope you have a bird on your team who will clear a path for you using their jump ability :v:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
World 3's secret path in the jump puzzle is pretty easy imo because all the dash jumps are the exact distance of your dash, so you jump to the right height and dash and do nothing else. Move speed doesn't effect dash distance so if you're overshooting it because you have high move speed, you need to let go of W earlier and/or hold W for less time before dashing.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Relentless posted:

And you don't even HAVE to do that, because if one of your teammates opens it, you can do a standing jump from the little ledge under it and reach all 3 scrolls anyway.

Similarly:
In the desert jumping puzzle with the wooden bridge you can get the right-most scroll from the bonus chest by jump-dashing from on top of the normal chest. I think if you have foundry equipped without any movespeed bonuses you have just enough jumping distance to nab it.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
The DPS check is absolute bullshit and should be 3x as long imo. I think the most annoying aspect of it r/n is that it makes it way way harder to carry people who aren't great through the game, like I don't wanna build as a glass cannon every game but there's a chance a game over is entirely inevitable if I don't.

Evil Kit posted:

Turtle is hella fun with a punch build, and is honestly the most gun agnostic of any of the heros.

Giving him a big refund on the shield's cool-down for cancelling it early was a wonderful design decision since it makes him actually able to be used at any range. The timers on all his buffs and poo poo are perfect so that you can do whatever you want with him as long as you stay mobile and are willing to hurtle in to an enemy every 6-8 seconds. Very good boy, probably the only character where I feel comfortable taking any gun as long as I avoid a couple (admittedly really good) goblets that limit his range.

Crown Prince honestly seems like he should be the general purpose hero at a cursory glance but Energy Blade III, Acidominance III, and Pyrodominance III are all such big boosts that I build around whichever 1 or 2 it looks like I can get by the end of a run.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm on R3 now and the only character I find powerful with my playstyle is the rabbit. Rabbit with laser gloves and a bunch of ascensions/scrolls to buff crit, RoF, and weapon damage and you can melt even the last boss. I feel like if I play any other character, using that same build is still the strongest option and if I'm using that build I may as well be the rabbit. I haven't tried the dog or bird though.

Dog can do a high-ROF build really well too. He's got a lot of explosive goblets so you might end up with 1 or 2 wasted goblets by the end of a run because of that, but a double machine gun/laser dog build gets: A huge damage bonus, effectively infinite ammo, infinite dual wielding duration, and doubled reload speed.

If you want to actually learn how to build around the other guns, I guess bird and leopard are your best bet as long as you don't always build around their secondary abilities. Builds based on Fatal Current's shooting bonus on the leopard are a force multiplier for heavy hitting weapons, so if you pay attention to what guns with what mods work well on him you're also probably learning what would work well on the non-rabbit characters.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Evil Kit posted:

Explosion Dog explosive weapon edition ascension preference: Explosion Enhancement > Mad Bomber > Sustained Fire = Sharpshooter > Precise Explosion > Grenade Master = Double Explosions for offensive ascensions, Adrenal Rush = Close Call = Survivial Instinct for defensive. If you can swing one Ammo Expert you'll never run out of Yellow or Blue ammo.

You left Twin Gunner out of this one when it should be in the same tier as Sustained Fire and Sharpshooter :colbert:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Yeah the mortar uses ~3.6 times as much as ammo as the Tiger Cannon (3x the ammo consumed per shot, fires 1.2x as fast). I think the only thing that uses up more yellow tier ammo is a Wild Hunt with a magazine size gemini mod.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Great mods on a gun are worth more than like 10 levels in a gun with only good mods imo, though I don't really know how the new gun monkey works so maybe it's different on him. An exception is that '[element] ball on crit' scales exclusively on gun level and increases to skill damage IIRC so if you find lightning or fire ball on crit on a Aura of Venom/Cloud Weaver/Sunder it can be worth carrying that sucker all the way to the end, especially if you get goblets or scrolls that boost skill dmg since those apply to the balls.

Evil Kit posted:

I pretty much played from the start of Early Access and never actually looked at a guide, just kinda learned by feeling things out. Generally, outside of the Elemental type share and maybe the crit X sharing, Geminis are a bonus and not what you should focus on. I used to not even pay attention to them before they added the Jokul and the ability to etch a Gemini onto a gun with 4 inscriptions on it already. They just appeared so late and it was much easier to start finding an amazing gun in Desert from exclusive/rare inscriptions alone than try and hold out for a good gun that also had a Gemini you could try and roll.

This is not to say Gemini's don't matter, especially since you can play with them earlier now and you have an entire extra world to play through if you choose to go through the Jokul. I have absolutely won games because fusion status effects are very strong, and the elemental Gemini is just good.

Now that they've changed Spores I don't think there's actually ever a reason to take the crit multiplier sharing one unless you're specifically the snow leopard. Find a good Hell, Wild Hunt, or Pupil and get the spore gemini and the spore mod is ridiculously overpowered even without a high fire rate weapon as the one you're actually using to shoot things. Elemental sharing's still good and worth taking a lot of the time, but if you have a laser/lightning glove or other really high fire rate weapon you usually want spores.

As an example of how wildly overpowered the spore mod is now, playing Reincarnation 6 with Myserious Jokul and 2 other people, as the bunny girl with a great laser glove + decent hell and the spore gemini, I killed the Pole Monarch in like 20 seconds :v: I actually spent like 6600 gold rerolling the geminis cause the loving game wouldn't give me the spore mod on the hell, but the gemini setup was easily several times more powerful than if I had spent that money leveling up the laser glove.

Base damage with off-hand weapon is actually good in specific scenarios since it's phrased kinda weird but it's a multiplier to final damage of a shot. So you can build up a 3x damage bonus to a shot as the snow leopard, that's multiplying the massive bonus from his primary skill. That it means you have to actually think about which weapon you're currently using is a big downside, since a big pro of the elemental and spore geminis are that you'll never have to switch weapons and can go all in on one.

Evil Kit posted:

The other thing is don't spread out your weapon level ups between guns, you're better off just focusing on one particularly busted gun with maybe a back up gun in case you run out of ammo or something, or are actually using a particular Gemini inscription combo. Any ammo issues you can shore up with scrolls, or ascensions depending on the character you play so no need to worry about gassing yourself on an ammo type late game with just one gun.

I broadly agree but my opinion is that you should just generally not level up a gun until after the desert unless you find an insane one (or are slapping a couple cheap levels on something before the first boss fight) so you'll have more money for upgrading one that dropped with a gemini mod.

John Murdoch posted:

:shrug: I can blow through the first three stages without much difficulty at this point, give or take the occasional hiccup. I tend to need to slow down a bit in Jokul, usually because of UFOs or other bad layouts turning things into a bit more of a siege, but it's otherwise NBD when I'm not pinned down. But I simply cannot seem to bring enough raw DPS to the table as Prince. Outside of Energy Blade shenanigans infinite orbs are meaningless (and suck rear end in the rest of the fight as well :/ ) and smoke grenades even when built well don't magically solve the race on their own. I've made it there with plenty of decent, if maybe not S-tier, +10 weapons, geminis that should work well, etc. but when I say it comes off as mathematically impossible I mean it.

Your two real options on Prince outside of hoping for very specific combos are spore mod or fire bullshit.
Spore mod bullshit:
Just take any really good 600+ fire rate weapon you find and slap a strong shotgun in your other slot. Bonus points if the shotgun is a pupil since the spore pop will deal bonus damage to the monarch's shield I think? I think you can use a pupil as your primary weapon and have a shotgun in your pocket, but while that would do well against the monarch it's very risky for a solo build in Jokul.

Fire bullshit:
If you get the fire damage goblet early, aim to get that maxed and try and get a Demonlore or some other fire weapon with ridiculous DPS -- for gemini mods you want elemental sharing + a lightning weapon so your fire damage has a bonus to shields instead of a penalty. If you have the scroll that makes every shot deal elemental effect after swapping weapons (Elemental Weave), same set-up but prioritizing a good laser glove over a demonlore and decay from your grenade with guaranteed elemental effect on your fire weapon should deal enough damage to kill just about everything in the 3 seconds before the Elemental Weave expires. If you don't have the third level fire goblet OR elemental weave, just pick up the strongest non-fire weapon you can find (Voltaic SMG and Pupil get bonus points for being high DPS lightning weapons) and have your offhand weapon be either a Piercing Flame or Fire Tower with elemental sharing.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 19, 2022

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Turin Turambar posted:

-As a game that is a FPS with two weapon slots, you would want both slots to be used by the players. Switching weapons around and deciding which is the best for each fight is a staple of the genre. Maybe the player has one weapon for longer ranges and another for shorter ranges. Or a weapon good against some enemies with a specific elemental weakness, and another against enemies with hard to hit weak spot. Whatever.
That's not how things work here, you reach a point, where it's better to always use a single weapon in detriment of the second one. Because a level 20 weapon hits so much harder than a level 12 weapon, even if the current enemies are in theory more vulnerable to the level 12 weapon. Weapon level stronk.

I do agree that levelling weapons is a bit too strong but I think you're also overstating just how strong it is... leveling a weapon from 12 to 20 increases its DPS by 42%, while using a lightning weapon on an enemy with shield is a 50% DPS increase over an identical weapon with no element and a 100% DPS increase over an identical weapon with fire or corrosion. Switching from the wrong element to the right one adds DPS equivalent to leveling a weapon from 12 to 31 (which is half of why element share is such a strong gemini mod, since it means you're strong against two healthbar types instead of weak against two). It is pretty much always better to focus on one great gun but it's mostly because it streamlines decision making, both when dealing with mods/goblets/scrolls and in-combat where switching a weapon feels really weirdly sticky and changes your movement speed.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

SkeletonHero posted:

Does Concealed Fire's explosion scale off of weapon level or is it flat damage?

Just curious, never really got a lot of use out of it but had one drop for Big Dog that had two exclusives (regenerates half of ammo used when throwing it and every 5 ammo left in the mag when throwing it causes an extra explosion) and just slam picked explosive ascensions and lmao'd my way through the rest of the run, but I was wondering if the thousands of dollars I pumped into the weapon level had a point.

The damage of Concealed Ammo's secondary is the total damage the ammo in it would have dealt with body shots, multiplied by IIRC 0.75. So yeah, anything that increases the damage of the weapon increases the damage of the explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

John Murdoch posted:

While Gunfire has a few clunker ascensions, I'm honestly impressed at how thoroughly well designed the kits tend to be. Particularly the later characters where, at the cost of some added confusion/complexity (Monkey's weapon bonuses :argh:), they managed to tie everything together really well.

I'm actually hard pressed to think of terrible ascensions now that the dog only has one grenade-exclusive ascension. I guess Crown Prince has Energy Echo and Backpack Expansion. Shadow Knight on Lei Luo maybe?