Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The update just dropped by the way, with a new hero, Lei Luo.

His grenade throws out chain lightning that bounces between targets, and his E gives him a buff to movement speed and skill damage. During the buff if you hit with a weapon, you end it immediately and deal an extra 200% damage on that strike.

One of his trees deals with his grenade, another buffs his E, and the last deals with increasing the damage he does on crit hits, with some sniper skills splashed in there.

Haven't actually played him yet, but he seems super interesting. It looks like you don't necessarily need to play him with a sniper, but he does benefit from slow, powerful, accurate weapons.

(Oh, also, he's a white tiger with thunderbolts for stripes.)

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

One of his ascensions increases damage when you repeatedly hit someone with a sniper rifle. Not super good for most snipers, but you could absolutely run n gun with the Sting or Woodpecker.

And frankly, his damage is just plain ridiculous. Admittedly I was playing on normal and got some good scrolls, but I had the Goshawk and pretty much every enemy went down in one hit with it. Octopi took 2, and bosses took anywhere between 25%-75% damage from a hit. Even elites died in a single shot (or 2 at most).

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

I haven't been home to play since the update, what's the math on that damage stack? I can't see this not getting a major balance pass.

For each consecutive hit on a target with a sniper rifle, you get +(15%/25%/50%) up to a max of (60%/100%/150%).

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Turin Turambar posted:

He has like 2 sniper related ascensions and a dozen for 'lightning wizard', heh.

Bugfixes in update some minutes ago

Honestly it's how they design their characters. Like, Qing Yan doesn't outright have any ascensions that say "hey idiot use a shotgun" but when you pick up ascensions that increase damage at close range, cause the first few shots to deal bonus damage, and give you a damage bonus when you hit more than once with a single shot...then shotguns start to look mighty appealing.

Lei Luo is the same way. He's got exactly one ascension that requires a sniper rifle, but he's got one that grants a bonus to damage at a distance, as well as a couple different ones that work well off of crit. Plus, his fatal current gives you exactly one Thunderstrike, which scales off of weapon base damage. Basically all his ascensions that affect guns work the best if you're using a slow, accurate gun with high base damage and crit damage.

But again, because the game is real stingy with things that outright say "use X weapon", there's absolutely nothing stopping you from focusing on chain lightning and using an SMG. Or say, doing a Thunderstrike build but delivering the blow with a Tiger Cannon.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I still have a bit of trouble on Normal but only in the Fjord. Most of the game is easy enough but the Fjord just has so many enemies that can CC you into oblivion (Catfish Man, White Shark, Octopus) combined with a bunch of enemies that can kill you very, very easily.

Granted my metaprogression isn't the furthest along, I'm definitely missing a lot of shop upgrades. +Coin on crit is amazing though.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

If you're not a fan of hanging back and standing still, seriously use one of the bows on him. They still do high single target damage but because they don't have a scope you can really just use them like a normal weapon.

Or alternatively, say gently caress it and use a chain lightning build and play with whatever weapon you want. You could also use a launcher to capitalize on thunderstrike if that's more your style.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh yeah, Magical Supply builds are easily my favorite. Just grab your favorite sniper rifle (mine's the Golden Bow easily) and go through one-shotting literally everything. By the time you've dropped your combo you've probably just got another Fatal Current queued up. The only problem at that point is elites with defensive mods, and let me tell you, I have absolutely lost because of multiple elites with Defensive Robust modifiers on a seal stage. :v:

SkyeAuroline posted:

Speaking of nerfs: wow everyone feels like poo poo against this new boss except him and his massive-single-shot power, how are you even supposed to kill this dude? Even on Normal the two of us get wrecked.

Seems like something was adjusted with the Ichthyosaurus, too, the laser spin is faster or something. Not sure and need to test more, which is harder when 50% of the time it's the bird from hell.

I legitimately haven't had a problem with this boss yet. Maybe my runs have just been lucky but I feel like his stuff isn't too hard to dodge and doesn't do that much damage in the first place. The worst part is honestly trying to actually hit him, he's awfully evasive.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The one that really gets me is Elemental Curse, that prevents you from ever triggering elemental effects.

Like, hmmm, if I'm playing as Crown Prince, do I ever take any cursed scroll, knowing there's a 10% chance of just throwing my entire build straight into the dumpster? (The answer is no, it's an incredibly stupid decision)

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So far I haven't found the Act 1 elites to be so bad, mostly just because they've got easy enough patterns that it's not too difficult to dodge them for a while. If anything the more pressing issue is running out of ammo, because drat if they don't have massive health bars.

Act 2 and Act 3 elites definitely step it up though. I don't think I've really learned the patterns of Act 3 elites yet because I'm either strong enough to kill them in <5 seconds or I die quickly.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

In my experience the Giant Boulder Traps in Elite mode are less "here's a tough gauntlet of boulders you need to navigate" and more "hey idiot don't stand here for too long".

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've honestly never liked his cleave build, I always feel like unless the stars align I just don't do enough damage with Cleave. My favorite way to play him is as an immortal shotgun god; you pick up Leap and Cleave talents that increase your defense/heal you/increase gun damage, and then the offensive shotgun talents. Then you can just leap into battle, near immortal, and kill everything with shotguns.

IMO it works pretty well in multiplayer too.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Back when I played multiplayer I was doing it 4-man and it worked out pretty well for me. It wasn't like I could blatantly walk into every attack and come out unscathed, but I was definitely durable enough to survive in melee combat for a while.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

IMO it helps that Shotgun Bird doesn't really need a shotgun. For the most part his gun damage ascensions just require a weapon with huge damage per shot, so he can work pretty well with Snipers, Launchers, and even Pistols to an extent. Only one ascension, Victory Rush, explicitly requires a shotgun, and even then you can get around that with certain inscriptions.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Lots of good stuff in this update.

I wasn't too invested in the talent tree update except for one talent: the copper on crit hit talent. And thankfully, they revamped it in an excellent way! It looks like you get a fixed amount of copper the first time you crit an enemy, meaning fast weapons no longer have an innate economy advantage! There is some other cool stuff in there too though, like the ability to trash scrolls/weapons you don't like for copper, an increase to the base damage of damaging scrolls, and a couple of talents that grant unique buffs depending on weapon type (reload speed for launchers, critx for snipers, movespeed for melee, and so on). Though I really think the coolest new one is the ability to add new inscriptions to existing weapons. That goes a long way towards the problem of finding an excellent weapon in zone 1 and dropping it because 2 inscriptions just doesn't compete with 4 + Gemini.

As for Tao, she seems pretty cool. Her primary's super weird; it builds up charges when not on cooldown based on ammo consumed, and unleashes all those charges in a flurry when cast. It's also got an extremely quick cooldown of 3.9 seconds, so it's extremely spammable! Her secondary deals AoE damage and marks all enemies in the area; for every 12 times you hit a marked enemy, it redeals the damage. She's definitely focused around fast firing weapons, which makes sense, given that we already have characters focused around Snipers/Shotguns/Explosives. She's also kind of strange in that she's easily the character most focused around her skills. As you might expect, she's got an ascension tree based around her grenade and one around her primary. Her third tree is based around enhancing her gunplay, but they all revolve around her other skills. It's all "for each flying sword summoned" or "for each stack of blade heart" or "when you kill a marked enemy", with exactly one talent that doesn't have anything to do with her skills. I haven't played with her much, but she's definitely very interesting.

Oh also, maybe this is just me, but I'm not a fan of how she looks. Every other character has a face that's very heavily based off their animal, you know? They've got muzzles and snouts and beaks and whatnot. Tao just kinda has a regular human face and it's very off-putting.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Eh, it's better than old Elemental Curse on Crown Prince. Nothing like just rendering half your ascensions completely useless. :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah they changed it from "0% chance to inflict elements" to "Exponentially decrease the chance". Which still sounds pretty dire but at least your elemental stuff isn't completely useless anymore.

Broken Gun is admittedly still one of the worst cursed scrolls, alongside Broken Bullet (-20% damage to Shields/Armor) and Cateye Sight (-1 CritX). I feel like most of the other ones aren't too notable, given that they tend to reduce ammo or make things more expensive, so as long as you're not already having ammo/money problems you'll be fine. Shout-out to Old Battle Boots though, the double trap damage can be worked around if you're careful but -10% movement speed sucks no matter what.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

According to their roadmap, they're planning on adding a 4th area and final boss. So your wish should come soon in the near future.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Airbag by itself has a minor benefit; because it restores 100% HP when your armor breaks, you're effectively always at full health.

Past that, it's got synergies with things like Persistent and Berserk Soul, because they give you boosts the lower your health is.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

can damage from the attack that drops your shield to 0 overflow to your health or is there a shield gate?

If I'm reading the wiki right, overflow damage is negated while you have Airbag. You physically cannot die from your shield breaking while you have Airbag.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Nah I feel ya, it kinda sucks. It would also be easier if it was just a quick button press instead of like, the long hold you have to do.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It would be pretty cool if they added a melee character, though IMO melee weapons work wonderfully with Qing Yan. There's a grand total of 1 ascension he has that doesn't work with melee. Arguably you could do pretty well with Lei Luo in melee, because his primary does scale very well with slow, single hit weapons like the Fire Tower. Though the lack of defensive skills makes him a bit more shaky there.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Wild Hunt is a funny one for me, because picking up any amount of clip-extending inscriptions or scrolls just turns it into a machine gun vaguely shaped like a shotgun. I once had one with a 30+ clip thanks to gemini inscriptions and that was a hell of a time.

If you do go that route you could really use some stability inscriptions though, unless you just wanna stare at the skybox the whole time.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Man, it took me a while but I finally finished a Nightmare Run with Tao! I was able to do this pretty easily with Lei Luo and Qing Yan, but Tao I've been trying for a ton of runs. I think it's partially because I don't like Rapid Fire weapons nearly as much as, well, pretty much ever other weapon type. This time I managed it because I got a Rainbow Arch with fire element and 3 lucky shot inscriptions, then got the gemini that let it share elements with another weapon. Love making a gun that can confuse all by itself. :v:

On that note, what are people's favorite rapid-fire guns? I do really like both Rainbow Arch and Dragonchaser for effectively the same reason: they're good mid-range guns, but their alternate fire gives them really, really good options for sniping. Dual Fang also stands out for me because, well, I love that it has two elements. On the other side of the coin, man, Injectors really seem terrible to me. The only time I've ever felt like injectors do good damage is when I get them with the gemini that combines CritX: A Laser Glove with 7x Crit multiplier really does do an absurd amount of damage.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm a big fan of the combined magazine Gemini with Wild Hunt. That shotgun...is definitely not designed to fire off more than like, 4 shots.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm just saying, its loving amazing but you'd better be ready for that recoil to send your gun to the sky

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Tbh there was already a dps check in the cube defense missions. Definitely failed one of those by being near unkillable but with not quite enough damage. :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My personal favorites are Spirit Feline and Gold Medal. Just absolutely fantastic for keeping yourself alive.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ciaphas posted:

got my first stage 4 win just now :toot: laser glove +20 gemini'd to 5.5 critx, plus the stacking critx for crits inscription, plus the crit for 3s on damage scroll, plus the scroll that burns me when I burn an enemy so I'm always taking damage ticks, plus enough slap build poo poo to keep my armor topped up forever

wish i'd got that on elite instead of normal lol

I tend to hate any of the gloves, unless I can get the Critx gemini on them. Turns out when a weapon's main weakness is super weak criticals, they become completely busted when you get a sniper critx on them, who knew? :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, Dog buffs Dog buffs! He's been my least favorite character for a while, so I'm glad to see something for him. Cat buffs are neat too, he could use that little bump in survivability.

Also glad to see Sunder changes. It's a weapon I usually avoid taking just because it actively felt bad to use, so hopefully the new version's better.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Evil Kit posted:

also Tiger's frame requires you play Solo on Nightmare or Reincarnation and clear all 4 acts with only snipers/foundry. lol

gently caress, I like just did this! I found an incredible Piercing Flame end of Longling Tomb and beat Pole Monarch with it!

Ah well, back to the Gunfire mines I go. :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

IIRC stability is Gun Recoil. It's a stat I only tend to care about if the gun already has some recoil problems to start with.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I picked this up after a bit and decided to actually get into reincarnation mode now that I have the skill tree mostly maxed out. Shits really fun, actually!

Won my first R1 game with Bird and the Blessing that buffs leap. My damage kinda sucked but it didn't matter because I was almost completely invincible: leap had a short cooldown, made me invulnerable for 2 seconds on use, had a 50% chance to immediately refresh when I used it, and cleave would reduce its cool down by 50%. I failed the Pole Monarch dps check and it just straight up didn't matter because he really didn't hit me in phase 3.

Probably gonna keep scaling the reincarnation levels and swapping characters to check out all the cool new poo poo they get.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Unironically one of the most important changes they added was the ability to etch an inscription on your gun, the meta now is largely to find a strong gun in desert, etch a Gemini onto it, and upgrade that gun into the stratosphere

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Generally I don't find the talisman to be very good, but when one that busted just falls into your lap...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The weapon enhancement levels could probably be adjusted, yeah. A system where like, there's a max level per area and weapons drop at ~3 levels below it would go a long way towards weapon drops actually meaning something later on, instead of just grabbing a good weapon in desert and using it forever.