Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

https://store.steampowered.com/app/965580/Root/

Root is out on Steam and I want to run a little tournament for all you cool cats and fascists kittens.

If we get a number divisible by 3 and you folks prefer it, we'll run 3 player games with no Vagabond. This will keep the games flowing faster, but if you want 4 player games with the Vagabond that's fine too. I will sit out unless we need one more player for whatever count we get. We'll run 3/4 rounds with players rotating factions depending on signup numbers, then the top 3/4 players will play off in another round of games to determine the ultimate furry woodland ruler.

Signup List

Post if you're in. Also, this is a beta so if you encounter bugs feel free to post them and if any of them are game breaking and you want a restart feel free to ask the other players if they're ok with that.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm up, but for async playing only. I can reliably play several turns per day during the week, I slow down a lot on weekends though.

You want the in-game account name here for signups?
Just made mine: CaptainWiggles+8251 (no idea why it adds the + and numbers)

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 22, 2020

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I'd be down

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

You want the in-game account name here for signups?

Yeah that probably works best.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I'm up, but for async playing only.

And that too. It will play pretty quickly considering the number of turns needed generally. 3 days should be plenty for each game, and if people are playing faster you can go ahead and do your next game since you'll be in the same pod of 3-4.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I don't have too many games of Root under my belt but I'm down to give this a try, Breadnought+5863

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I really love the board game, I'd love to get in on this either live or asynchronous.

Weedlordgoku+8719

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
I don't have much experience either but the game's a lot of fun: WascallyWabbit+0024.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm down for Root!

SirPhoebos+5330

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cool, that gives us 6, enough for 2 sets of games to start us out. I'll give it another day and see if we get 2-3 more and then post matches and first round factions.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
A bit late to the party, but I'm on Steam as Jewmanji. Just tried the game... it's definitely harder to play than in real life when you can't see the board state as well, but it's fun nonetheless. I turmoil just as easily!

KissOfTheSpiderMan
Oct 10, 2012

I'd like to join in!

Yuztabyn+7552

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

If it's Asynch then I'm down to play (Badly) I've registered as Aramoro+3729 on the in game Direwolf thing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Alright we have enough for 3 sets of games! If you didn't already, please share your Root in game name for ease of adding and arranging games. The player that is playing the cats will make the game, and the password for all games will be "goons".

Game 1 - Game name Goon 1

CaptainWiggles+8251 - Cats
GEMorris - Birds
Breadnought+5863 - WA

Game 2 - Game name Goon 2

Weedlordgoku+8719 - Cats
WascallyWabbit+0024 - Birds
SirPhoebos+5330 - WA

Game 3 - Game name Goon 3

Jewmanji - Cats
Yuztabyn+7552 - Birds
Aramoro+3729 - WA

The in game chat is good for discussing individual games but feel free to share screenshots and updates here. When each game finishes, someone post the winner and scores please. After these first games finish I'll rotate the groups and factions accordingly, and after 3 rounds we'll have the 3 highest ranking players face off in a set of final games.

Also I will be sending the winner a small Root prize, so be ruthless :getin:

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Would people be interested in posting summaries of their matches? I love this game and play the cardboard version with friends now and then, would be interesting to see how other people's games turn out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

Would people be interested in posting summaries of their matches? I love this game and play the cardboard version with friends now and then, would be interesting to see how other people's games turn out.

I've posted a few from streams so far.

This is a cat strategy video vs ai to go over basic strategy with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBrBFvahjX0

This one is online as vagabond (this was my first stream, mic levels weren't dialed in as well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFsm-PznSzE

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
For the life of me I can't figure out how to change the name of the game to be anything other than "Weedlordgoku's Game" but Goon Game 2 is up now for people to join. I'm not that great at this stuff obviously.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Also the player spots in the waiting game I tried to make are each labeled "Random Faction" which sounds suspiciously incompatible with assigning factions.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I'm online for a bit now if anyone wants to do one or two test turns in a match to sort out the game joining particulars and all of that jazz.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

Also the player spots in the waiting game I tried to make are each labeled "Random Faction" which sounds suspiciously incompatible with assigning factions.

Based on the one online game I've played so far, I think it defaults to Random Faction until someone joins that slot and picks a faction themselves.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I’ve started Game 3 under “FishStation’s game” (my account name is FishStation+4197- ignore my previous name of Jewmanji).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh yeah sorry I didn’t realize that about game names. Does it at least let you select factions async?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It’s not clear. I’ve selected the Marquise and now I’m waiting for others to join and select factions (if permissible)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Breadnought posted:

Based on the one online game I've played so far, I think it defaults to Random Faction until someone joins that slot and picks a faction themselves.

Oh, that's good news.

I have created Goon Game 1 (CaptainWiggles's Game) ready for joining. Password 'goons' (as specified by organizer)

Expected at this table:
  • CaptainWiggles (me) - Cats
  • GEMorris - Birds
  • Breadnought- WA

:wink:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 26, 2020

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Joined. If anyone is like me and slammed "no" on the turn notifications prompt the first time they launched Root and now realizes they need them on again for the tourney, you can just add /gamenotificationsettings/ to your Steam community profile link to access turn notification settings.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I've posted a few from streams so far.
Hey cool, thanks!

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Jcam posted:

For the life of me I can't figure out how to change the name of the game to be anything other than "Weedlordgoku's Game" but Goon Game 2 is up now for people to join. I'm not that great at this stuff obviously.

I've joined and was able to select faction async.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Joined my game

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

SirPhoebos posted:

Joined my game

ZeusJupitar posted:

I've joined and was able to select faction async.

Goon Game 2 is kicking off! I'm excited to be embarrassed and lose.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Aramoro posted:

If it's Asynch then I'm down to play (Badly) I've registered as Aramoro+3729 on the in game Direwolf thing.

We’re waiting for you to join the game- do you need help finding the server? It’s under the name FishStation.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

GEMorris posted:

I'd be down

Still waiting on you to join -- deets a few posts up (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3937474&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post507562222) & I PM'd you a reminder earlier today as well.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The AI does some really confounding things. The WA seems to just put down sympathy in the same clearing one turn after the other despite my destroying it each time and generating like 7 or 8 points off of it. Also, when the WA has some warriors on the board, it seems to move them back and forth between two clearings in a single turn the way you often do when the Eyrie has extra move actions to burn, instead of moving and organizing, as a human would.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

We’re waiting for you to join the game- do you need help finding the server? It’s under the name FishStation.

Sorry I missed this, but I can't find the server?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Aramoro posted:

Sorry I missed this, but I can't find the server?

Sorry about that- it looks like the game might’ve closed my server after being idle for too long. I’ve just reopened it (again, under FishStation).

Sorry Yuztabyn, can you rejoin as well?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

The Eyes Have It posted:

Oh, that's good news.

I have created Goon Game 1 (CaptainWiggles's Game) ready for joining. Password 'goons' (as specified by organizer)

Expected at this table:
  • CaptainWiggles (me) - Cats
  • GEMorris - Birds
  • Breadnought- WA

:wink:

Hey folks, I didn't know this was going to start mid week and can't get to this until tomorrow at the earliest, my apologies for the delay.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

Sorry about that- it looks like the game might’ve closed my server after being idle for too long. I’ve just reopened it (again, under FishStation).

Sorry Yuztabyn, can you rejoin as well?

Joined the table, never played WA before so let's see how this goes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Joined the table, never played WA before so let's see how this goes.

If it's anything like my last game, wait until the cats have 6 lumber and 2 buildings on one clearing and win by revolting there :v:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I just took my first turn as the Cats, and then exited the game but that apparently also closes the server? Is that the case? How are you supposed to play a days-long asynchronous game if you have to keep it persistently running on your computer the whole time?

edit: Nevermind. The server is still running. Play away, Eyrie!

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 28, 2020

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hey Jcam, the game says it's waiting for you to pick crafted cards in the the battle you started. Is it saying the say thing for you?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

SirPhoebos posted:

Hey Jcam, the game says it's waiting for you to pick crafted cards in the the battle you started. Is it saying the say thing for you?
Yeah, it gave me the notification that SirPhoebos had to pick a card to play during the combat, but it stalls on just saying "Crafting Phase" now. I PM'd you about it, thinking it was just checking if you'd want to play an Ambush or something like that but now I'm convinced it's a bug. I've tried everything I can think of to continue the combat, every keyboard button and clicking where a card would have popped up were it an option, but nothing works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jcam posted:

Yeah, it gave me the notification that SirPhoebos had to pick a card to play during the combat, but it stalls on just saying "Crafting Phase" now. I PM'd you about it, thinking it was just checking if you'd want to play an Ambush or something like that but now I'm convinced it's a bug. I've tried everything I can think of to continue the combat, every keyboard button and clicking where a card would have popped up were it an option, but nothing works.

Yeah don't know what to say.

Should we start over?